HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Casablanca - 10/10

I went into this film with such high expectations due to the legacy it has.. such as what I did with “The Godfather“.. The difference, Casablanca delivered on SO MANY levels.

The performances were as close to perfect as I have ever seen.. Rick seemed to have a sort of arrogance to him, but it made me like him more. You could tell he‘d been hurt previously and that he was looking out for himself.. Almost as if he was scared to be hurt again..
Ilsa.. I can‘t even begin to describe her.. That role was made for Bergman! She‘s described as a blonde woman who is beautiful like no other, and does Bergman ever fit that!! And to top it off, as Kihei mentioned above, the lighting only made her beauty stand out.. During one of the scenes, Bergman began to cry while talking to Rick.. and the way the light hit her eyes made them glitter, then a lone tear fell down her cheek.. I felt my heart sink as a woman that beautiful should never have to cry..

I almost had to give the film a 9.5 for a predicted ending.. At one point I had the feeling that I knew what was going to happen, and then what I thought was being discussed in the film.. but they pulled a switch and I was wrong.. Obviously I can‘t say what I thought or what happened because I don‘t want to spoil the film, but for those who‘ve seen it, they probably know what I thought..

To sum it up, this is easily in my top-3 greatest films I have ever seen. Well worth the reputation.. The music, the lighting, the actors, the script, everything.. it all worked perfectly. I now have a massive crush on Ingrid Bergman.. and thanks to Stu Macher for recommending “Notorious“, I shall get it tomorrow and watch it.

What next:
Gone with the Wind
Dr. Strangelove
Citizen Kane
Singin‘ in the Rain
Vertigo

Old
12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Glad you liked Casablanca, it really is a marvelous film.

That's a tough group to chose from, 5 magnificent pictures I'd be hard pressed to choose between. I think Dr. Strangelove would be the highest on my personal favorites list, Singin in the Rain is among the most enjoyable films, Citizen Kane is the benchmark American film, Vertigo is a phenomenal mystery with a fascinating glimpse into the soul of a master filmmaker. Gone with the Wind is my least favorite of that group of films, which is more of a testament to the others than it is to any shortcomings it itself has.

I can't decide between them.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Glad you liked Casablanca, it really is a marvelous film.

That's a tough group to chose from, 5 magnificent pictures I'd be hard pressed to choose between. I think Dr. Strangelove would be the highest on my personal favorites list, Singin in the Rain is among the most enjoyable films, Citizen Kane is the benchmark American film, Vertigo is a phenomenal mystery with a fascinating glimpse into the soul of a master filmmaker. Gone with the Wind is my least favorite of that group of films, which is more of a testament to the others than it is to any shortcomings it itself has.

I can't decide between them.
I think i‘m going to go with Dr. Strangelove.. It‘s the one I‘ve heard the least about, which allows me to watch it without the legacy and reviews in my head.. I know it‘s ranked as one of the best films ever on certain lists, but I don‘t really know anything about it.

I‘ve been meaning to watch it, but I got side-tracked watching Brando, Dean, Chaplin, and Casablanca.. which is never a bad thing!!

Old
12-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Stu Macher

We might need to get you some Buster Keaton soon.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
I'd throw in Children of Paradise, too.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
What would you recommend? I looked at his filmography and it was quite lenghty, so I have no clue what all to choose.. I do have “The General“ added to my list.

@ Kihei, I added “Children of Paradise“ to my list aswell. Considering Pierre Renoir is in it, and knowing the talent in his family, I look forward to watching it!! I also know of Jean-Louis Barrault‘s character in the film.. We learned about mime in high school Drama class, and were given specific countries to focus on.. I had France, so I mentioned Deburau (who was actually from Bohemia/Czech, but performed in France) and the legendary Marcel Marceau.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Okay, my list of films to watch now consists of:

The Birth of a Nation - 1915
The General - 1927
M. - 1931
Duck Soup - 1933
Gone with the Wind - 1939
Wuthering Heights - 1939
Citizen Kane - 1941
Children of Paradise - 1945
The Third Man - 1949
All About Eve - 1950
A Place in the Sun - 1951
Singin‘ in the Rain - 1952
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - 1953
From Here to Eternity - 1953
On the Waterfront - 1954
Rear Window - 1954
Guys and Dolls - 1955
Giant - 1956
12 Angry Men - 1957
Vertigo - 1958
Some Like it Hot - 1959
Mutiny on the Bounty - 1962
Dr. Zhivago - 1965
Last Tango in Paris - 1972

Any recommendations are appreciated.. I‘ll watch just about anything pre-1975.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 50
"There Will Be Blood" It's not the last one I saw, actually. But..

8.75/10. Almost a classic.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post

@ Kihei, I added “Children of Paradise“ to my list aswell. Considering Pierre Renoir is in it, and knowing the talent in his family, I look forward to watching it!! I also know of Jean-Louis Barrault‘s character in the film.. We learned about mime in high school Drama class, and were given specific countries to focus on.. I had France, so I mentioned Deburau (who was actually from Bohemia/Czech, but performed in France) and the legendary Marcel Marceau.
I'm glad to hear Children of Paradise is on your list as it is my all-time favourite film, and has been for decades. Here's another large handful of suggestions to consider:

Pather Panchali, Satyajit Ray, India (1956)--my favourite director ever, arguably his best film and the start of the great Apu Trilogy;

Jules and Jim, Francois Truffaut, France (1962)--Film's most memorable menage a trois;

The Maltese Falcon, John Huston, US (1941)--just one of the all-time fun films; I've probably seen it ten times and look forward to seeing it again;

Solaris, Andrey Tarkovsky, Russia (1972)--memorable science fiction story, great acting, a brilliant director;

The Exterminating Angel, Luis Bunuel, Mexico/Spain (1962)--ingenious use of surrealism as social commentary;

The Seven Samurai, Akira Kurosawa, Japan (1954)--a lot of fun and very influential;

Breathless, Jean Luc Godard, France (1960)--an extremely influential and zesty French New Wave;

Tokyo Story, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (1953)--great art from the commonplace

Last Year at Marienbad, Alain Resnais, France (1961)--a beautiful and intricate puzzle movie--maybe best placed later rather than sooner on your list.

Hope you keep letting us know your reactions to the films that you will be seeing in the future.

One other thought: might be fun to screen the earlier Mutiny on the Bounty with Clark Gable and Charles Laughton before you do the Brando/Howard version; and, sadly, Doctor Zhivago the movie slaughters Doctor Zhivago the book.

Last edited by kihei: 12-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 05:25 PM
SB164

Quote:
Okay, my list of films to watch now consists of...
If you haven't seen them yet, I'd add Paths Of Glory and Lawrence of Arabia. Keep up the great reviews!

Edit: If you're up for foreign films, I also highly suggest Ikuru.

Last edited by SB164: 12-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Okay, my list of films to watch now consists of:

The Birth of a Nation - 1915
The General - 1927
M. - 1931
Duck Soup - 1933
Gone with the Wind - 1939
Wuthering Heights - 1939
Citizen Kane - 1941
Children of Paradise - 1945
The Third Man - 1949
All About Eve - 1950
A Place in the Sun - 1951
Singin‘ in the Rain - 1952
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - 1953
From Here to Eternity - 1953
On the Waterfront - 1954
Rear Window - 1954
Guys and Dolls - 1955
Giant - 1956
12 Angry Men - 1957
Vertigo - 1958
Some Like it Hot - 1959
Mutiny on the Bounty - 1962
Dr. Zhivago - 1965
Last Tango in Paris - 1972

Any recommendations are appreciated.. I‘ll watch just about anything pre-1975.
Dunno if you've watched it but Caine Mutiny and One, Two, Three are nice pre75 movies to watch imho.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'm glad to hear Children of Paradise is on your list as it is my all-time favourite film, and has been for decades. Here's another large handful of suggestions to consider:

Pather Panchali, Satyajit Ray, India (1956)--my favourite director ever, arguably his best film and the start of the great Apu Trilogy;

Jules and Jim, Francois Truffaut, France (1962)--Film's most memorable menage a trois;

The Maltese Falcon, John Huston, US (1941)--just one of the all-time fun films; I've probably seen it ten times and look forward to seeing it again;

Solaris, Andrey Tarkovsky, Russia (1972)--memorable science fiction story, great acting, a brilliant director;

The Exterminating Angel, Luis Bunuel, Mexico/Spain (1962)--ingenious use of surrealism as social commentary;

The Seven Samurai, Akira Kurosawa, Japan (1954)--a lot of fun and very influential;

Breathless, Jean Luc Godard, France (1960)--an extremely influential and zesty French New Wave;

Tokyo Story, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan (1953)--art from the common place

Last Year at Marienbad, Alain Resnais, France (1961)--a beautiful and intricate puzzle movie--maybe later rather than sooner on your list.

Hope you keep letting us know your reactions to the films that you will be seeing in the future.
Thank you!! I‘m adding all of them to my list.. I don‘t know when I‘ll watch them, but I should have them done within the end of the year. The only one I recognize is John Huston‘s, as I‘m not very knowledgable in international film.. I‘m glad you did suggest the others though, as I‘d love to learn more about worldwide cinema and it gives me a place to start!!

This thread is quickly becoming my most-observed on the site.. Film is my favourite form of art, and I often keep a tab opened so I can just refresh and see all the reactions from everyone.

EDIT: The films recommended by Eisen and SB164 have been added also, thanks to both of you! I have about 3 days worth of films to watch, and the list is only going to grow..

Last edited by Kurdt Kobain: 12-07-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Celebration Day - 8/10

This isn‘t an actual “film“ but a live concert.. In 2007, Led Zeppelin took the stage at London‘s O2 Arena for the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert.. Minus their drummer, John Bonham who had passed away in 1980, the surviving members as well as Bonham‘s son Jason took the stage and rocked the night away for a crowd of 16,000 star-struck fans.

Despite growing much older, the boys still sounded amazing. Plant‘s voice, still pitch-perfect as it was in the 70‘s, echoed throughout the arena while Page wailed away on his guitar.

While Led Zeppelin was the focus of the show, a breathtaking visual performance on the screens seemed to outshine the band. Vintage footage of the group as they first arrived to the United States during the 70‘s introduced them at the beginning, immediately setting the mood for what was to be an amazing performance.. and only got better as the show went along.

The highlight of the show however, was the performance of “Stairway to Heaven“. Jimmy Page proved once again that he still is one of the elite guitar players of all time, while Robert Plant‘s voice cut the air like a hot knife through butter.

Recommended to any rock fan, or any music fan looking to see one of the greatest bands of all time prove, once again, why they are the kings of rock music. Truly an amazing performance.. The only reason I took some points off was for the omission of a few of my favourite songs, which is understandable considering a time-limit.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Stu Macher

It's a stretch to give you, since you said you'd watch anything pre-1974, and this came out in 1975, but I'd say my favorite film of all time is Robert Altman's Nashville.

I think The General is a good place to start with Buster Keaton, but the 45 minute Sherlock Jr. is also a work of genius.

I think you would enjoy our Movie of the Week Group thread, where we take turns picking movies to watch, whether we've seen them before or not, and discuss them.

Speaking of the Movie of the Week thread, the last film we did would fit your criteria, and for my money is one of the greatest films ever made, Nicolas Roeg's 1971 film, Walkabout.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Stu Macher

On the topic of Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, I've said that her in that role is among the three most beautiful screen presences I've seen. It's her in Casablanca, Irene Jacob in The Double Life of Veronique, and probably Grace Kelly in Rear Window.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:35 PM
kihei

Quote:
On the topic of Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, I've said that her in that role is among the three most beautiful screen presences I've seen. It's her in Casablanca, Irene Jacob in The Double Life of Veronique, and probably Grace Kelly in Rear Window.
Or how about? Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca; Catherine Deneuve in The Hunger; Rita Hayworth in Gilda. For Grace Kelly I'd go with the blue gown in To Catch a Thief.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:04 PM
SB164

Quote:
Celebration Day - 8/10

The highlight of the show however, was the performance of “Stairway to Heaven“. Jimmy Page proved once again that he still is one of the elite guitar players of all time, while Robert Plant‘s voice cut the air like a hot knife through butter.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Or how about? Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca; Catherine Deneuve in The Hunger; Rita Hayworth in Gilda. For Grace Kelly I'd go with the blue gown in To Catch a Thief.
I have only seen Deneuve in one film unfortunately (Repulsion), but she was stunning in that.

Only seen a few clips of Gilda, but from what I've seen, not a bad choice.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

I‘m kind of amazed at how many people seem to prefer older films rather than new ones.. Most people I know will only watch films 1980-now, and they think i‘m foolish for spending so much time watching the classics. They think that just because a film is old, it‘s no good.. Their ignorance bothers me because they‘re really missing out on films everyone should see, and not the same story told over and over again.. Saw, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Paranormal Activity.. I can‘t stand series‘..

In fact, my step-brother REFUSED to watch “Goodfellas“, which WAS made in 1990, because it began in the 50‘s.. I told him that the “50‘s parts“ were only at the beginning, and he still wouldn‘t watch it.. Finally, I forced him to watch it after constantly bringing it up.... and he LOVED IT. He‘d thought Robert De Niro was terrible before he saw it, even though he‘d never seen his films!! His opinion isn‘t exactly credible though, as he thinks Stallone is the greatest actor in history.. and tried to convince me that Miley Cyrus was a better actor than Johnny Depp..

Old
12-07-2012, 08:21 PM
SB164

Quote:
In fact, my step-brother REFUSED to watch “Goodfellas“, which WAS made in 1990, because it began in the 50‘s.. I told him that the “50‘s parts“ were only at the beginning, and he still wouldn‘t watch it.. Finally, I forced him to watch it after constantly bringing it up.... and he LOVED IT. He‘d thought Robert De Niro was terrible before he saw it, even though he‘d never seen his films!! His opinion isn‘t exactly credible though, as he thinks Stallone is the greatest actor in history.. and tried to convince me that Miley Cyrus was a better actor than Johnny Depp..
You need to need disown that guy asap!

Old
12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
You need to need disown that guy asap!
OH BELIEVE ME I DID!!! We never got along anyways, but that was just the breaking point...

EDIT: Did anyone see “The Breaking Point“? It was an adaptation of Hemingway‘s “To Have and Have Not“.. which also was a film in 1944 with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

Last edited by Kurdt Kobain: 12-07-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 10:25 PM
kihei

Quote:
I‘m kind of amazed at how many people seem to prefer older films rather than new ones.. Most people I know will only watch films 1980-now, and they think i‘m foolish for spending so much time watching the classics. They think that just because a film is old, it‘s no good.. Their ignorance bothers me because they‘re really missing out on films everyone should see, and not the same story told over and over again.. Saw, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Paranormal Activity.. I can‘t stand series‘..
Every era has a lot to offer.That being said there are a lot of excellent movies made today, too. And they are coming from all over the place. Outside of maybe the '60s, I don't think international film has ever been better. But even then there weren't good movies coming from places like Taiwan, South Korea, Romania, Israel, Iran, Thailand, Ireland, and so on.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Every era has a lot to offer.That being said there are a lot of excellent movies made today, too. And they are coming from all over the place. Outside of maybe the '60s, I don't think international film has ever been better. But even then there weren't good movies coming from places like Taiwan, South Korea, Romania, Israel, Iran, Thailand, Ireland, and so on.
I suppose.. but as I said before, when it comes to international films, aside from “Amélie“ I find myself ignorant. I do not know much about them, about the performers, or directors.. I do plan on learning though.
That being said, I have been meaning to watch “The Artist“ recently. I‘d love to see how a silent-film was pulled off in such a technologically-sound time. Considering it has the great Malcolm McDowell in it, even in a small role, it should be good.

Overall, I think the last time I‘ve genuinely wanted to go to the theatre and see a specific film was when “Valkyrie“ came out. Granted it wasn‘t exactly the best film, nor am I a big Tom Cruise fan, but I love the history aspect of it.. too bad the attempt failed.

My issue with current films is that just about anything gets made.. look at all these ridiculous parody movies; Epic Movie, Date Movie, Vampires Suck, etc.. It seems as if writers rely on other films to write their own. And we have all these series‘.. Saw had what, 7 films? Paranormal Activity is up to no.4 with plans for more.. The Fast and the Furious is up to their 5th and have more planned.. The films seem to get worse as they go as well.. And then filmmakers go and remake classic horror films; Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street.. I have no memory of a recent horror movie coming out that actually scared me. But perhaps I need to check from around the globe, as North America seems to “commercialize“ horror films.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
My issue with current films is that just about anything gets made.. look at all these ridiculous parody movies; Epic Movie, Date Movie, Vampires Suck, etc.. It seems as if writers rely on other films to write their own. And we have all these series‘.. Saw had what, 7 films? Paranormal Activity is up to no.4 with plans for more.. The Fast and the Furious is up to their 5th and have more planned.. The films seem to get worse as they go as well.. And then filmmakers go and remake classic horror films; Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street.. I have no memory of a recent horror movie coming out that actually scared me. But perhaps I need to check from around the globe, as North America seems to “commercialize“ horror films.
Sure there's plenty of crap these days, but there's plenty of quality as well. Bringing up those movies is useless, as they only make up a small percentage of what's out there.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:50 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Sure there's plenty of crap these days, but there's plenty of quality as well. Bringing up those movies is useless, as they only make up a small percentage of what's out there.
Agree. Film is a hugely commercial industry right now but there is so much to choose from that it makes up for these portions. Of course it is easy to despair if all you're looking at is the commercials but just under the surface, the past 5-10 years have been a treasure trove of great cinema.

Closed Thread