HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

vCash: 500
American Reunion -- 3.5/10
The american pie cast returns to their hometown for their highschool reunion. A bunch of unnecessary shenanigans ensue.

The entire movie seemed to be throwback jokes (referring to the things that occurred in the earlier movies) with the occasional new joke or gag. I only watched it for the 'nostalgia' of it, but it's definitely skippable, even for fans of the series.

End of Watch -- 8/10
Cop drama centered around two patrol partners (Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena) who work one of the most dangerous areas in LA, one that is filled with all the usual social issues; drugs, guns, and gangs. The whole movie is filmed from a 'first persons' perspective, similar to that which you would experience while watching cops/a police documentary (dashcams, handcams, cellphones, etc). As a side observation, I may have seen a movie or two in my life filmed like this, I've watched at least three this year being filmed like this. New hollywood trend?

This movie was completely under the radar for me, it was recommended by a friend, even then I was still skeptical (never have been a fan of cop dramas). All in all I thought this movie was pretty damn good, initially I thought the filmography was going to be an issue but it ended up working well for me, albeit a bit unbelievable (everyone had a camera, police filming at work for personal reasons, though this is justified in the movie). An other thing about this movie, it seems the two lead characters run into more deadly/intense scenarios than you would ever expect a police officer to run into (even though it's obvious that the timeline of the movie is months/years), but without having someone who has worked in that part of LA to vouch or debunk, it's hard to say whether or not it's accurate. I think Gyllenhaal and Pena did a good job at capturing the 'bro/friend' aspect of the partnership.

Spoil:
I didn't like how casual the two leads were when they were told that there was a green light for their hit, you'd think that would be elaborated on a bit more. But with the way it's filmed you have no idea how much time had passed between them being tipped off to the eventual climax

Old
12-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

For those that love Hitchcock, his Masterpiece Collection on Blueray just dove to $119 on Amazon.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Saw Jack Reacher today and I was surprised that it was pretty decent. I haven't read any of the books so no clue if it does them justice and I am not exactly a Tom Cruise fan but he did play this character well. Some good action and even a few moments of levity that had the audience laughing. 7/10

Old
12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
For those that love Hitchcock, his Masterpiece Collection on Blueray just dove to $119 on Amazon.
My dad said he's getting it for me for Christmas.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
My dad said he's getting it for me for Christmas.
Cool.

Since it was over $200 I couldn't ask for it for X-mas and it's too late now, so I had to buy it for myself. Oh, the humanity

Old
12-22-2012, 05:29 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

Quote:
Cool.

Since it was over $200 I couldn't ask for it for X-mas and it's too late now, so I had to buy it for myself. Oh, the humanity
Yeah it's over $200 in Finland too but I probably won't get anything else so I heard no complaints.

Old
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Cedar Rapids: 5/10

A very meh movie. Lazy Saturday afternoon and caught the beginning on HBO so I sat through it.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:27 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 1092
Rear Window - 7.5/10

Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed by this film... but i‘ll start with the pros.

First off, the direction was marvelous; but considering who it is, that isn‘t a shocker.. The plot was simple and easy to follow, and the suspense kept me interested in what happened next.
Grace Kelly, stunning as always, was amazing as Lisa... but to me, the best performance was actually Thelma Ritter (Stella). She gave the film a witty charm, delivering simple comedic lines with wonderful timing.

Now for the cons... The music. The music seemed too jaunty for the film. Now that I think about it, it may have been on purpose as jaunty music is meant to be lively.. “Lively“ music... during a supposed murder? Nevertheless, it didn‘t add anything to the film for me, and almost got to the point where it was annoying.
The film started off slow.. but that was understandable as they have to build into the story. It isn‘t just going to be “enter character... see murder“.. Hitchcock gave the right amount of time for you to understand the characters, but for me, he did it in a “boring“ way.
Finally... the scene where the woman is yelling from the balcony at her neighbors, right after they discover what happened near the flowers... WAY OVER THE TOP. It was almost laughable at how fake her acting was.. completely unbelievable.

Overall, I enjoyed this film.. Not as much as Psycho, and I think that was part of the problem. Psycho had me hanging at the edge of my chair, with an actual sense of fear, just waiting for what happened next. Being new to Hitchcock‘s films I think it was a grave mistake to start with Psycho, as I doubt any of the others can mirror the sheer brilliance it holds.. but we‘ll find out soon, as Vertigo is up next!!

Old
12-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Fight Club - 9/10
Drive - 8/10
Abduction - 3/10 - only thing good about this show is Lily Collins.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

The Imposter (2012)

A documentary that once again proves truth is stranger than fiction. If this story was fiction you would say there was oversights and plot holes you could drive a truck through.

I knew nothing about missing thirteen-year-old Nicholas Barclay from Texas in the early nineties before watching this, and my lack of knowledge of this story probably made the movie just that much more interesting.

Very interesting movie that draws you in wanting to know more, wanting to know why this family could oversee the obvious. Realizing that the need to have their son back makes people not see things that outsiders could see, or was there another reason they wanted him back?

IMDB currently giving 7.6

I'd boost that up to an 8/10

Old
12-23-2012, 01:47 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Gandu (2011), directed by Q:
I just found this film in its entirety on YouTube. To my great surprise, the characters actually speak Bengali (not Hindi). Considering that's my first language, maybe I should check out this film.

Edit: I was actually planning on watching Oslo, August 31st before I read your review for Gandu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Amour: 10/10
I was still finishing my last assignment of the semester so I didn't get a chance to see this at the Phi Centre, but that's a beautiful review. I would imagine that your immediate surroundings must've enhanced the feelings you had as you walked out of the theatre. Of course, I'm talking about the beautiful Old Montreal.

Last edited by SB164: 12-23-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old
12-23-2012, 02:04 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Reservoir Dogs - 9/10

First off, I‘d like to apologize to Quentin Tarantino. After seeing a few of his interviews, I was annoyed with him. I don‘t know what it is about him, he just irks me.. and because of that i‘ve never really watched his films. I saw Pulp Fiction a while ago, which I did not enjoy, but since then I haven‘t bothered with his films.

After seeing him on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson the other night, I decided to put my feelings aside and gives his films a view, as I could see he was very passionate about the industry... So, I decided there was no better place to start than from the beginning... Reservoir Dogs.

Within the first 10 minutes of this film I found myself in love with it. The banter between the men was fantastic. The discussion of what “Like a Virgin“ meant and Mr. Pink‘s view on tipping (which I somewhat agreed with) were hilarious. The length of the film was just right. It starts strong and gets stronger. It was so entertaining I lost track of time and before I knew it, the film was over.

Personally, my favorite performance was that of Steve Buscemi. That man is a ******* legend and shall go down as one of the best actors of our time. I also enjoyed Steven Wright as the radio DJ. His deadpan delivery and slow speech are so distinctive; I knew it was him from his first words.

I think the next Tarantino film i‘ll watch is going to be Kill Bill v1, my sister‘s recommendation, and if I enjoy it i‘ll watch the 2nd.. if not, i‘ll still watch it but not right away. Inglorious B-tards (so it isn‘t just *‘s) will be on the list, as will Pulp Fiction once again. I‘ve never been a real fan of Travolta or SLJ so that was part of it, but I think I should give it another try. The worst that can happen is I still wont like it, and that means i‘ll never have to watch it again.

So again, sorry Tarantino... I look forward to the rest of your films!!!

Last edited by George Maharis: 12-23-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old
12-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Taken 2 5/10

Liam Neeson movies rarely disappoint me, but he's hardly to blame for this failure of a movie.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:47 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Requiem for a Dream - 8.5/10

Some say that this film is eye-opening to the life of a drug user and shows how easily it can be to become addicted to narcotics... and while it is, if you want to see a film about that, I STRONGLY suggest “The Basketball Diaries“. Leonardo DiCaprio gave one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in any film. And to top it off, Lorraine Bracco from Goodfellas (my all-time favorite film) played his mother, while Mark Wahlberg plays his friend!!

Jared Leto (American Psycho, Fight Club, 30 Seconds to Mars) stars in this film. His performance is great and all, but to me, the REAL star of this film isn‘t even an actor... Its Clint Mansell. Mansell composed one of the best scores I‘ve heard in a while. Certainly not as good as Riz Ortolani‘s for Cannibal Holocaust, but still great. Whenever I hear the theme to Requiem, I find myself filled with an ineffable feeling. If I had to try and explain, i‘d say it‘s a mix between mystical and fearful... like something is coming to get me, I just don‘t know when or how. It‘s a weird feeling, but I love it.

The film was directed by Darren Aronofsky, and to me, this has been the highlight of his career so far. Sure he‘s directed The Wrestler, Black Swan, and The Fighter... all of which brought him tremendous success... but Requiem was amazing on so many levels. I also suggest his film Pi, which to me, is greatly underrated.

I do understand that Requiem for a Dream is a hit/miss for a lot of people, and that‘s understandable as everyone has different tastes, but for me it was a home-run! For those who disliked it, I‘d love to know why! If you could leave a comment, I‘d appreciate it... You don‘t need to go into detail or anything, just a simple explanation of why. It bothers me when people say “that movie sucked... it was one of the worst I have ever seen, and I go see movies every week“... yet they never give an actual reason why they disliked it.

Thanks for reading!

Old
12-23-2012, 11:18 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Aronofsky only helped produce The Fighter. It was directed by David O. Russel.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:23 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Aronofsky only helped produce The Fighter. It was directed by David O. Russel.
Ah, my mistake!! Thanks for the correction. Either way, both are significant parts in the making of the film.

Also, i‘m quite looking forward to “Noah“ in 2014. Russell Crowe, Anthony Hopkins, and Mark Margolis... not bad at all!! Aronofsky/Margolis is quickly becoming the new Burton/Depp... which was basically the new Scorsese/De Niro!! I guess if it works than there‘s no point in changing it..

Old
12-23-2012, 02:45 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I was still finishing my last assignment of the semester so I didn't get a chance to see this at the Phi Centre, but that's a beautiful review. I would imagine that your immediate surroundings must've enhanced the feelings you had as you walked out of the theatre. Of course, I'm talking about the beautiful Old Montreal.
Oh, of course. It may not be the most convenient place to see a movie but it's definitely in the best-looking area!

Too bad you couldn't make it out. One of these days we'll cross paths there, I'm sure

Old
12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Too bad you couldn't make it out. One of these days we'll cross paths there, I'm sure
For sure man. I'm positive the theatre will be screening some amazing films this winter. How about drinks and a movie?

Old
12-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Augscura

Just watched all the Harry Potter films this past week. All of them were great. Sorcerer's stone, Prisoner of Azkaban and the Deathly hallows ones especially.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:30 AM
SB164

New experiences help a young girl learn the differences between sex and love.

This 2004 feature-length debut from Aussie writer-director Cate Shortland is an emotionally honest depiction of late adolescence. Its major of theme of the loneliness which often comes from unexpected freedom in a strange place (and a strange age) reminded me of Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation (Fish Tank is another comparable film). The movie also breaks our misconceptions of beautiful, sunny Australia, it's set in a not-so-pretty town during the dreary winter. I assume any female, Aussie director owes a great deal of gratitude to Jane Campion (The Piano). Incidentally, the star of the show, Abbie Cornish, has worked with both directors (I highly suggest Bright Star, a film centering around the ill-fated love affair between Romantic-era poet John Keats and his young neighbour, Miss. Fanny Brawne, played by Cornish).

As the lead character of Heidi (15 years old), she gives the kind of head-turning, star-making performance that would garner countless awards, she is that mesmerizing to watch. Heidi is slightly damaged but incredibly sympathetic, she means well yet she makes all the wrong decisions. She's essentially still a child, so she fails to understand the consequences behind her very adult-like decisions. Another standout (surprisingly enough) is Sam Worthington, who gives quite an understated but courageous performance as Joe, the brooding, confused young man who may or may not be stringing her along.

The dreamy, electro-pop soundtrack fits well with Shortland's direction (think of a stylish indie-rock music video, but with actual emotional resonance behind the images). I know I'm not the only one around here who's very much looking forward to her new film, Lore.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:17 AM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Iron Sky -- 2/10
After WW2 the nazi's flee to the moon, yeah the moon, you read that correctly. Come the time the movie takes place (2040 or something) the nazi's plans of invading the earth and conquering the united states have come to fruition.

That's basically it. It's horrible, but it's meant to be horrible, it's just one of those silly spoof-like movies with some of the worst acting you've ever seen.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World -- 5.5/10
The movie takes place just as a mission to prevent an asteroid from destroying earth has failed. The movie follows steve carell's character as he comes to terms with his less than ideal life and tries to right some wrongs and perhaps pursue some things he wishes he had done before humanity is destroyed in a few weeks.

Interesting concept for me, since it deals with the social and psychological issues that someone would deal with if an event like this happens, or at least attempts to show these things. Which is in contrast to the normal doomsday movie where everyone just is running away from tsunamis, lava, ash, and debris. Ultimately the movie went nowhere for me, poorly executed concept. Wasn't a fan of Keira Knightley's character.

Real Steel -- /10
An ex-boxer (hugh jackman) takes to controlling robot boxers, in the future in which this movie takes place, human on human boxing is a thing of the past and has been replaced by robots fighting robots. Pretty awful movie, not sure why I watched it, or why it was made, or how the hell it got a ~7/10 on IMDB. Only thing worth mentioning is that the russian girl in it was a total babe.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:10 PM
kihei

vCash: 1800
Quote:
I just found this film in its entirety on YouTube. To my great surprise, the characters actually speak Bengali (not Hindi). Considering that's my first language, maybe I should check out this film.

Edit: I was actually planning on watching Oslo, August 31st before I read your review for Gandu.
Explicit sex on youtube? I'd make double sure that it was uncut before you watched it. As for Gandu and Oslo, August 31, you can't go wrong with either. Both are very interesting movies.

Quote:

New experiences help a young girl learn the differences between sex and love.

This 2004 feature-length debut from Aussie writer-director Cate Shortland is an emotionally honest depiction of late adolescence. Its major of theme of the loneliness which often comes from unexpected freedom in a strange place (and a strange age) reminded me of Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation (Fish Tank is another comparable film). The movie also breaks our misconceptions of beautiful, sunny Australia, it's set in a not-so-pretty town during the dreary winter. I assume any female, Aussie director owes a great deal of gratitude to Jane Campion (The Piano). Incidentally, the star of the show, Abbie Cornish, has worked with both directors (I highly suggest Bright Star, a film centering around the ill-fated love affair between Romantic-era poet John Keats and his young neighbour, Miss. Fanny Brawne, played by Cornish).

As the lead character of Heidi (15 years old), she gives the kind of head-turning, star-making performance that would garner countless awards, she is that mesmerizing to watch. Heidi is slightly damaged but incredibly sympathetic, she means well yet she makes all the wrong decisions. She's essentially still a child, so she fails to understand the consequences behind her very adult-like decisions. Another standout (surprisingly enough) is Sam Worthington, who gives quite an understated but courageous performance as Joe, the brooding, confused young man who may or may not be stringing her along.

The dreamy, electro-pop soundtrack fits well with Shortland's direction (think of a stylish indie-rock music video, but with actual emotional resonance behind the images). I know I'm not the only one around here who's very much looking forward to her new film, Lore.
After I wrote my review back there aways, I thought that I probably should have praised Cornish more. It's a performance that really sticks with me, because she gave her character such depth and complexity. In this one instance anyway, I can't imagine even Jennifer Lawrence being as good in the role because I can't imagine her being as convincingly vulnerable as Cornish.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
After I wrote my review back there aways, I thought that I probably should have praised Cornish more. It's a performance that really sticks with me, because she gave her character such depth and complexity. In this one instance anyway, I can't imagine even Jennifer Lawrence being as good in the role because I can't imagine her being as convincingly vulnerable as Cornish.
I agree with your last point. I also wondered by the end of the film if Lawrence was capable of playing such a role, and frankly, I can't see it. Her strength is her toughness, I don't know if she would convincing enough. However, I think a younger Michelle Williams would do an admirable job.

Abbie Cornish also gave a similarly great (and vulnerable) performance in Candy, opposite Heath Ledger (who, in fact, outshone her performance). If nothing else, that film is worth it for the Tim Buckley song alone.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I agree with your last point. I also wondered by the end of the film if Lawrence was capable of playing such a role, and frankly, I can't see it. Her strength is her toughness, I don't know if she would convincing enough. However, I think a younger Michelle Williams would do an admirable job.

Abbie Cornish also gave a similarly great (and vulnerable) performance in Candy, opposite Heath Ledger (who, in fact, outshone her performance). If nothing else, that film is worth it for the Tim Buckley song alone.
I hope you're both wrong. Lawrence is very young and I have very high hopes for her.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:46 PM
SB164

Quote:
I hope you're both wrong. Lawrence is very young and I have very high hopes for her.
In case you haven't noticed from our past discussions, so do we. I'd rank her among the most exciting actresses working today.

Edit: If Abbie was American, she probably would've won an Oscar for that role. She is that good.

Last edited by SB164: 12-24-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Closed Thread