HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 11:22 AM
kihei

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
That's the plan, but what order! I think I'll start with Pulp Fiction.
Good plan. But do catch Life of Pi when you can still see it in 3D. It's a fine film anyway, but 3D is how it is designed to be seen.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Good plan. But do catch Life of Pi when you can still see it in 3D. It's a fine film anyway, but 3D is how it is designed to be seen.
Will do, guess I'll watch it last.

Pulp Fiction - 9/10. Awesome movie

Old
12-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Dredd was surprisingly good. I had no idea what to expect before watching this since I've never seen the original movie or the original source. Really entertaining, if pretty typical. I like Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby a lot. It totally reminded me of The Raid Redemption which was a good thing. I'd call it a ripoff but I don't know when the two were being developed.
Yeah, the plot was it's biggest weakness. I haven't seen The Raid Redemption but I've heard many say it was a bit too similar. Perhaps if the plot had been a bit more similar to Stallone's Dredd, it could have been movie of the year. But that would have required a bigger budget so...

On topic, Resident Evil Retribution: 6/10. More than decent action/fight scenes, plot and acting is...well...iffy. If you've seen/endured the previous RE movies, you'll likely watch this as well. I can imagine there will be at least one more since the movie ended once again in a cliffhanger of sorts.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Stu Macher

White Tiger (2012, Russia)

White Tiger was Russia's submission for Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards, but did not make the short list. This is a shame, because White Tiger is a strange, beautiful, and magnificent film. It has not received a distribution deal yet, but if it does, it would be great to see on a big screen.

It takes place in Russia, during World War II. Russian soldiers walk through a field of destruction, and come across a burnt up tank. It is the latest of many tanks that has been destroyed by a mysterious white German tank, which has been appearing behind the Russian tanks, destroying them, than disappearing before anyone can get a bead on it. Inside this burnt out tank though is the driver, with burns over 90% of his body, but still alive and alert, not willing to take his hands off the wheel of his beloved tank. He is removed, and over the next few weeks, he makes a miraculous recovery, eventually fully healed. He doesn't remember his name, or where he's from, but he now has an ability to understand tanks (he says tanks talk to people, but the people don't understand them). He is made the driver of a three man crew to man a custom built tank with one goal in mind: to find and destroy the White Tiger.

It sounds silly, yes, but this is a serious movie about what war truly is, and how people fit in. The driver, Naydenov, has become a personification of the war machines. Sure, he is still flesh and blood, but there seems to be engine oil in his veins. War is not simply defined by two dates, beginning and end. To some, there is no end. It isn't as simple as two sides signing a treaty. To Naydenov, his life has only one meaning, to destroy his enemy, this seemingly ghost tank. Germany and Russia had their war, Naydenov has his. Certainly this can be viewed as a Moby Dick adaptation. Substitute a white whale for a white tank, and you're pretty close.

White Tiger is a movie that works on every level. It is a great examination of the nature of war, but if it gets distribution, make sure to see it in theaters. The tank battles in this film are some of the finest war sequences I've seen, full of beauty and raw power, just like the film itself.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:31 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aura View Post
the Fellowship of the Ring - First time going through the LOTR series, watching all the extended editions.

8 out of 10. Definitely a good movie, didn't blow my mind by any means but I definitely want to finish the series.

You'll find Two Towers is better than Fellowship.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:20 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Django Unchained 4/10

Well there are some entertaining moments, but for the most part this film just doesn't work. It is like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It has action, then drama, then comedy, and so on. It also seemed like it didn't know how to end. Another problem was that it was much too long (the opening credits in particular) and had too many montages (I want to say there were 7 or 8, bu 2 or 3 would have been suffice) which half the time had the most out of place music (Black Girlfriend or whatever......really?........really?). Will place more review in the specific thread

Old
12-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
You'll find Two Towers is better than Fellowship.
Not necessarily, it's just one fight after another basically.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
kihei

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Not necessarily, it's just one fight after another basically.
Run--the ring is threatened--protect the ring!--battle--run--the ring is threatened--protect the ring!--battle--run--the ring is threatened--protect the ring!--battle--run--the ring is threatened--protect the ring!--battle--etc. For three long hours.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Shareefruck

Yeah, I found Fellowship to be interesting and The Two Towers to be boring (with Return of the King being somewhere in between).

Old
12-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Saw Life of Pi 3D and it looked amazing.

Don't think it will hold up on a TV screen though without the overwhelming visuals. Story's a bit thin.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

The Shawshank Redemption - 9/10

Slumdog Millionaire - 9/10

----------------

Anyone have any more classic suggestions? I'm a person that knows that the movie will be good, but puts off on seeing it for a long time. I'm saving Life of Pi/Django for the new year.

Last edited by Luuuongo: 12-29-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 08:12 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography (9/10)

If you have no interest in skateboarding or even pre-xGames skating, this video probably isn't for you.

If you were a skater in the mid-80s to the early-90s, you know the names: Caballero, McGill, Guerrero, Mountain, Mullen. Even if you weren't, you definitely know who Tony Hawk is. This video basically sums up how the Bones Brigade (the skate team that their manager Stacy Peralta didn't want the name "skate" or "team" to be used) was formed. Lots of cameos by former skaters, some that were part of the Powell-Peralta team, some that skated the same contests. About 1:40 long, with it being a perfect split of interviews and skate footage. I'd probably say that even the interview parts were split evenly between all original Brigade members.

Docking a half point because of the sudden crash ending. They were talking about how skateboarding went from contests into a worldwide trend, then it was a split second later and it was over with a recap of where they are now.

Docking another half point for the appearance of former Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst. Aside from his smug look while hiding under a hoodie, he really didn't add anything to the video.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Saw Life of Pi 3D and it looked amazing.

Don't think it will hold up on a TV screen though without the overwhelming visuals. Story's a bit thin.
I didn't see it in 3D (I didn't even know that's how it was supposed to be watched) and I loved it.

12-29-2012, 09:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Django Unchained: 6.5/10
The biggest surprise about Tarantino's new movie is how...undistinguished it seems. I may have disliked Inglourious Basterds with a passion, but it was certainly a unique vision. Compare with Django Unchained - if you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie. I think part of the problem is that Tarantino is no longer a director who has to make movies - I hesitate to use the term "spinning his wheels" but that's definitely what Django feels like.
It's not all bad though. Some have complained the movie is something of a slog, but I never felt the lengthy running time, which is always a plus. Leonardo DiCaprio is very good, but Christoph Waltz steals the show. Almost to a fault, in fact - as soon as Waltz's character isn't on screen, you start to miss his presence. Particularly noticeable in the scenes where Foxx has to carry the movie on his own. Foxx isn't a bad actor, but Django is such a blank slate compared to Waltz and DiCaprio's characters that he needs to be surrounded with some, uh, colour and suffers plainly when it's not there.
Overall, generally entertaining with some ups and downs. Probably my second-to-least favourite Tarantino movie, but nothing overly atrocious or even memorable, really. Which, as I said, is probably the biggest surprise of all.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Django Unchained: 6.5/10
The biggest surprise about Tarantino's new movie is how...undistinguished it seems. I may have disliked Inglourious Basterds with a passion, but it was certainly a unique vision. Compare with Django Unchained - if you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie. I think part of the problem is that Tarantino is no longer a director who has to make movies - I hesitate to use the term "spinning his wheels" but that's definitely what Django feels like.
It's not all bad though. Some have complained the movie is something of a slog, but I never felt the lengthy running time, which is always a plus. Leonardo DiCaprio is very good, but Christoph Waltz steals the show. Almost to a fault, in fact - as soon as Waltz's character isn't on screen, you start to miss his presence. Particularly noticeable in the scenes where Foxx has to carry the movie on his own. Foxx isn't a bad actor, but Django is such a blank slate compared to Waltz and DiCaprio's characters that he needs to be surrounded with some, uh, colour and suffers plainly when it's not there.
Overall, generally entertaining with some ups and downs. Probably my second-to-least favourite Tarantino movie, but nothing overly atrocious or even memorable, really. Which, as I said, is probably the biggest surprise of all.
I agree. Waltz and DiCaprio made this movie IMO, and when they're not on screen, that's when you start to feel the film's length. Still, 7.5/10 from me.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Jeff, Who Lives at Home: 6/10

The ending to this movie really came out of left field. A good time-killer movie, short, and gets to the point.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:45 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Searching for Sugarman - Pretty awesome documentary about a musician named Rodriguez. It's best to go into this one blind and just enjoy it. Made me want to download his music because it's really good.

This is 40 - Way too long and like a bunch of separate scenes connected only because the same characters are in them. It's not awful, but it's less a comedy and more of a boring drama at times. Second half is probably better than the first but I didn't really care.

Last edited by snowden: 12-30-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 02:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Ever find yourself rooting against certain movies and you're not really sure why? That's me with This is 40. I relish every bad review and its mediocre Rotten Tomatoes score. I hate that whole smug, "this is just like your life, isn't it?!??!?" (except it's like no one's life) brand of comedy Apatow is pushing. He seems to have gone so far up his own ass, I'm glad it's no longer working for him.

I almost want to go see it just so I can find more justifications for not liking it.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Ever find yourself rooting against certain movies and you're not really sure why? That's me with This is 40. I relish every bad review and its mediocre Rotten Tomatoes score. I hate that whole smug, "this is just like your life, isn't it?!??!?" (except it's like no one's life) brand of comedy Apatow is pushing. He seems to have gone so far up his own ass, I'm glad it's no longer working for him.

I almost want to go see it just so I can find more justifications for not liking it.
I just hate Leslie Mann in general. Don't know why...there's something about her face that makes me wanna punch it.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:13 AM
Shareefruck

Looper - 2.5/5
Didn't think it was great, more of a gateway movie, but it was relatively good fun. Felt like it was trying too hard to be interesting/cool, and it felt kind of telegraphed in that way. At least it tried, I guess.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 12-30-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 08:13 AM
SB164

Quote:

The sequel no one ever asked for, centering around the two most forgettable characters from Knocked Up.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post

This is 40 - Way too long and like a bunch of separate scenes connected only because the same characters are in them. It's not awful, but it's less a comedy and more of a boring drama at times. Second half is probably better than the first but I didn't really care.
Pretty much, not horrible but dampen your expectations if you are expecting non stop laughs.

IMDB gives 6.4-10........ sounds about right. I give it a 6-10 myself.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:

Somewhat agree. To me it screams: "Judd Apatow needs more money! So here's a mediocre movie starring everyone in my family but me!"

Old
12-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Shareefruck

Gandu - 3/5

It feels like an amateurish overly insistent art-film in alot of ways early on, but it started really working for me after a while. Then it lost me a bit again at the very end.

I really liked that beat (sounded like something from Can/Boredoms) in that second song, but not so much the indian-rapping vocals.

Also, I can't be the only one here who gets completely grossed out whenever a guy makes out with someone who just gave them a BJ

Last edited by Shareefruck: 12-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 06:44 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Avengers, 6/10.

Amazing Spider Man, 9.5/10

Trouble with the Curve, 7.5/10

Closed Thread