HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Man, I wish you and I could knock off a bottle of Irish whiskey and talk about this one.
I think it would actually take the Irish Whiskey to make me able to formulate into words just how much I loathed watching the last section of that movie.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Savi

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Saw Godard's Vivre Sa Vie tonight. Fascinating film. Anna Karina might be one of the most charming, most hypnotizingly beautiful actresses in the history of cinema. It's like whenever she appears on screen, all your attention focuses on her and you just forget what's going on around her. Not too many actresses can do that to me.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Les Miserables: 4.5/10
I knew going in this wasn't my bag - I've never seen a musical I've really enjoyed, and had no prior attachment to the source material. But it'll probably be around come the Oscars telecast, so I figured I'd better see it.
I spent most of the film's running time (just under six days, I believe) trying to decide if this was a bad movie or just a failed experiment, possibly a gigantic misstep from Tom Hooper. I'm leaning towards the latter.
There were two huge surprises from this film - first of all, how it utterly failed to evince any emotion from me whatsoever (excitement, suspense, sorrow, etc) and secondly, how unbelievably bland the whole thing looks. I can't even begin to guess at how many zeroes were in the budget figure, and after all that money I'm willing to wager there have been more memorable performances of the play in small-town theatres. Aside from an impressive opening scene and maybe a couple of scenes of interest towards the end, visually, the film is a total drag - not helping is the fact that 95% of the movie is shot either at night or in grey rain. I know the movie's not called Les Joyeux but I mean, come on...
As far as the always-singing angle, I didn't find it as distracting as I thought I might, but I think it took away from the film as a whole - these stop feeling like characters you can empathize with and just seem more like vessels for songs.
As far as the singers, I'll echo pretty much everyone's thoughts - Jackman is fine, Hathaway is excellent, and Crowe tries his best but just can't get there. The always-tight camera angles were noticeable, but not unbearable.
The movie as a whole is such a grim, drab affair, I found myself perking up every time Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (two actors who I have no real love for) showed up to at least slap some life back into the thing.
I'd recommend switching off after the first half hour - you've got the opening ship scene and Hathaway's show-stealing number, and that's about as interesting as it all gets.

Last edited by hototogisu: 01-04-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

The Hobbit 6/10
Jack Reacher 1/10 and i am generous.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Resident Evil: Retribution

6.5/10

I just hate how all of the characters can't be in one movie. Last time, it was Chris and Claire Redfield. This one has Ada Wong and Leon Kennedy. Hopefully they are all in the next movie.

PS -

Spoil:
LOL @ Leon wanting to get some action by grabbing Ada's thigh

Old
01-03-2013, 11:51 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Resident Evil: Retribution

6.5/10

I just hate how all of the characters can't be in one movie. Last time, it was Chris and Claire Redfield. This one has Ada Wong and Leon Kennedy. Hopefully they are all in the next movie.

PS -

Spoil:
LOL @ Leon wanting to get some action by grabbing Ada's thigh
Wouldn't surprise me since the 6th one might be the last one in the series

and yea when Ada pulled his hand away, i was like DENIED

Old
01-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Shareefruck

Life of Pi - 3/5
It's a solid movie and the way it unfolds is very effective, but while I appreciate that it isn't too dogmatic or heavy-handed in its spiritual views (it seems like a lot of effort was put into carefully walking that line and not making any missteps), as a pretty one-sided anti-theist, I still can't help but let the conclusion/idea behind it rub me the wrong way ever so slightly. Everything's also set up a little too perfectly to support his perspective, for my money (just minor things like his sympathetic conditions and the way the dad was portrayed).

I probably can't support any attack against that, but while I like it, I'm not really 100% onboard with the statement/sincerity of it. A very small (and I really do mean minor/borderline insignificant) part of it annoys me in a similar way to when someone religious tells you a catered story with a circular argument to try to morally corner you into accepting a premise (I'm not saying the movie does that per se, but I get a little bit of a reaction that reminds me of that-- Just can't pinpoint the exact source).

(the more biased complaints only knocked it down by about 0.5)

2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Life of Pi - 3
7. Gandu - 2.5
8. Norwegian Wood - 2.5
9. Raid Redemption - 2.5
10. Looper - 2.5
11. Safety Not Guaranteed - 2
12. Arrietty - 2
13. Skyfall - 2
14. The Avengers - 1.5
15. The Dark Knight Rises - 1
16. Brave - 0.5

This one's old, but I just realized I never posted it and I already had a blurb handy from the other thread:

Shawshank Redemption - 0.5/5

I know alot of people love it and might read this as a cry for attention/arrogant hipster thing or something, but I really really thought it was awful. I found it very schlocky, cloying, self-aggrandizing, manipulative, and falsely sentimental in the most annoyingly hollywood way possible-- every minute of it was like this, and without hyperbole, it's honestly everything I don't like about movies. The secondary characters like the Warden, the rapist guy, and the "I can't read" kid in particular were like formulaic one-dimensional cartoon-characters. I'd honestly had enough by the first hour and was completely annoyed by it. The worst thing about it was how hard/overly insistent it was trying to make you feel like it's amazing/powerful/beautiful.

Obviously there are movies that are far more poorly made-- I'll concede that on a purely visual/audio/technical level, it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be... but at the moment, this and Forrest Gump might be the two films that I hate most, probably.

Call me crazy, but as someone who didn't think something like the Avengers was great, just as a random example, I have far more positive things to say and would much rather watch something like that than this, honestly.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-04-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 02:12 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Up - 9/10

I thought the whole movie was beautifully done.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:01 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Life of Pi - 3/5
It's a solid movie and the way it unfolds is very effective, but while I appreciate that it isn't too dogmatic or heavy-handed in its spiritual views (it seems like a lot of effort was put into carefully walking that line and not making any missteps), as a pretty one-sided anti-theist, I still can't help but let the conclusion/idea behind it rub me the wrong way ever so slightly. Everything's also set up a little too perfectly to support his perspective, for my money (just minor things like his sympathetic conditions and the way the dad was portrayed).

I probably can't support any attack against that, but while I like it, I'm not really 100% onboard with the statement/sincerity of it. A very small (and I really do mean minor/borderline insignificant) part of it annoys me in a similar way to when someone religious tells you a catered story with a circular argument to try to morally corner you into accepting a premise (I'm not saying the movie does that per se, but I get a little bit of a reaction that reminds me of that-- Just can't pinpoint the exact source).

(the more biased complaints only knocked it down by about 0.5)

2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Life of Pi - 3
7. Gandu - 2.5
8. Norwegian Wood - 2.5
9. Raid Redemption - 2.5
10. Looper - 2.5
11. Safety Not Guaranteed - 2
12. Arrietty - 2
13. Skyfall - 2
14. The Avengers - 1.5
15. The Dark Knight Rises - 1
16. Brave - 0.5
So you're only complaint against Life of Pi was that you disagreed with it philosophically? What kind of crap is that! It's not even so much as theist as it is about faith and spirit, it says so in the movie like twenty times. And his father was portrayed excellently, he was a strong character who only wanted to support his family and wasn't villainous at all.

How is it as a movie?

[re: Shawshank: Watching a movie requires a clean slate and suspension of disbelief, you can't go into a movie dismissing it's schlocky atmosphere if it has just started - you're not giving the movie a chance. Literally every drama movie can be dismissed as cloying or falsely sentimental with one-dimensional characters if you don't want to give it a chance. You need to trust the film a bit and let it breathe before hating it.

American Beauty, Mystic River, Before Sunset, A Beautiful Mind, There Will Be Blood, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine - are they also not all also cloying, falsely sentimental or have one-dimensional characters? No, of course not. You have to trust the movie a bit and not be critical from outside the frame - no movie can hold up against reality.

I'm not even the biggest Shawshank fan but your approach to it is totally off-base. And what is The Avengers than a bundled mess of one-dimensional characters, one-liners and eye-sore CGI?

Old
01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
So you're only complaint against Life of Pi was that you disagreed with it philosophically? What kind of crap is that! It's not even so much as theist as it is about faith and spirit, it says so in the movie like twenty times. And his father was portrayed excellently, he was a strong character who only wanted to support his family and wasn't villainous at all.

How is it as a movie?

[re: Shawshank: Watching a movie requires a clean slate and suspension of disbelief, you can't go into a movie dismissing it's schlocky atmosphere if it has just started - you're not giving the movie a chance. Literally every drama movie can be dismissed as cloying or falsely sentimental with one-dimensional characters if you don't want to give it a chance. You need to trust the film a bit and let it breathe before hating it.

American Beauty, Mystic River, Before Sunset, A Beautiful Mind, There Will Be Blood, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine - are they also not all also cloying, falsely sentimental or have one-dimensional characters? No, of course not. You have to trust the movie a bit and not be critical from outside the frame - no movie can hold up against reality.

I'm not even the biggest Shawshank fan but your approach to it is totally off-base. And what is The Avengers than a bundled mess of one-dimensional characters, one-liners and eye-sore CGI?
Yes, it's my only pseudo-complaint. It's not a big deal, but it's something.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll flesh this out later today when I have more time.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-04-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
kihei

vCash: 4575
Quote:
Watching a movie requires a clean slate and suspension of disbelief, you can't go into a movie dismissing it's schlocky atmosphere if it has just started - you're not giving the movie a chance. Literally every drama movie can be dismissed as cloying or falsely sentimental with one-dimensional characters if you don't want to give it a chance. You need to trust the film a bit and let it breathe before hating it.

...You have to trust the movie a bit and not be critical from outside the frame - no movie can hold up against reality.
Two of the four sentences, I think are good advice, but I would take issue with the second and, especially, the fourth sentences here.

One would have to be willfully obtuse or certifiably brain damaged to declare that Persona, Waiting for Godot, Babette's Feast, Stalker, Waltz for Bashir, Antichrist, The Wild Child, Somewhere (just the first several examples that popped into my head, in addition to your list) are cloying or overly sentimental. To do so would also require a massive degree of personal ineptitude or critical malice before the fact. So, in trying to make a reasonable point, I think that sentence overshoots the mark a good bit.

I'm a little uncertain whether I fully understand the last sentence, so if my interpretation is off, my apologies. Where does any critical apparatus come from if not "outside the frame"? Any analytical discussion of a work requires criteria of some kind, and while those criteria should respond intelligently to what has gone in the movie, those criteria vary from film goer to film goer and are definitely "outside the frame." Yes, I agree that you must let the movie establish its own reality, must give it a chance, but that doesn't prevent a critic from concluding that that reality is in someway insufficient to justify the work's critical acceptance. So, for instance, a Preston Sturges comedy might well be damned by an excess of sentimentality but that condemnation should not be determined before seeing the work as there may be sentimental Preston Sturges comedies out there where schlockiness is present but not a deal breaker. If one maintains a consistent tendency to prejudge a work (me with Jacques Tati films, for instance), good advice is to stay away from the movie in the first place. On that, I believe we could both agree.

My ideal film critic is Dwight Macdonald, who wrote for Esquire in the '60s. He had a pleasingly skeptical sense of his own aesthetic criteria, but seldom prejudged a work. He watched what was on the screen and commented intelligently about it with a definite point of view but no particular axe to grind. To me that equaled good criticism.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Shareefruck

I'm at work on break right now, so I can't go into detail yet, but I want to clarify that I did give it a chance and didn't reject it from the start-- I don't see how WS can come to that conclusion-- I was a tad skeptical about it deserving to be on some pedestal going in, yes-- So I had low expectations, but I was still expecting it to be somewhat good and was very disappointed. I didn't expect it to be that schlocky, honest to god.

Hell, to bring it back to the last thing I said, I was probably more dismissive/less accepting of The Avengers (sort of taking the attitude that WhiskeySeven is taking with it) than I was of Shawshank Redemption going into them. With the latter, I expected a good movie, and instead I just disliked everything about it.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-04-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
The Guilt Trip 5/10

Inconsistent is really all I can say. Nothing special, nothing terrible, just inconsistent

Old
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
kihei

Zero Dark Thirty (2012), directed by Kathryn Bigelow: Zero Dark Thirty chronicles the long and eventually successful search by the CIA for 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden. The movie starts with a black screen accompanied by actual voice recordings taken from people trapped in the middle of the attack, a device which almost instantly triggers a host of troubling memories. From that point, the film chronicles the long, frustrating search for Bin Laden and its eventual outcome. Whatever Bigelow’s personal feelings are about the illegitimacy of torture or the ethics of a revenge kill she wisely keeps on the sidelines. This to me is a sane, fully defensible approach, but for some critics it has led to charges that she has made an amoral movie. Maybe she has, but it's a non-issue to me. After all, the movie is a case history, not an exploration of the ethical choices involved in the entire operation. Quite rightly, Bigelow leaves the audience to debate the complex issues that arise out of this operation. She simply records what she thinks took place. Throughout its length, Zero Dark Thirty focuses on one central character, Maya (Jessica Chastain), the driving force whose single-minded, iron-willed resolve eventually brings down Bin Laden. She seems like a bit of an oversimplification constructed to suit the narrative, but Chastain is tenacious in the role and will obviously give Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money come Oscar season. Ultimately the movie seems more a work of craftsmanship rather than art, but I found it gripping and very well directed.

Best of 2012

1. Amour, Haneke, Austria/France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. Life of Pi, Lee, Hong Kong/US
5. This Is Not a Film, Pahani, Iran
6. No, Larrain, Chile
7. Holy Motors, Carax, France
8. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
9. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
10. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
10a Sister, Meier, Switzerland
10b Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway

11. Stories We Tell, Polley, Canada
12. Zero Dark Thirty, Bigelow, US

Last edited by kihei: 01-04-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Two of the four sentences, I think are good advice, but I would take issue with the second and, especially, the fourth sentences here.
They might be good points in a random vaccuum, but I don't see what they have to do with what I said.
Quote:

How is it as a movie?

Yes, it's my only pseudo-complaint, because it's otherwise a very good movie.

We're not all here to write objectively fair and logically sound reviews of movies-- You watch something and you react in a certain way. I definitely wasn't making any claims about Life of Pi, but it irked me on some level that I can't fully pinpoint-- I've already conceded that it might be a bit of an irrational thing, but that still affects how you feel about something-- I'm just not totally onboard with the point of the movie. I understand it's about faith and not theism. I liked something like Uncle Boonmee, but in this case, I felt a tad bit more like I was being sold something that I had to raise my eyebrow at. Believe it or not, we're not all dogmatic about systematically evaluating a work for its technical merit.

I still liked Life of Pi enough that I would recommend it to anybody without reservation. I would not say the same about the below:

That second paragraph looks one like humungous straw man to me. What reason is there to think that I dismissed Shawshank from the beginning or didn't give it a chance?-- How can you tell what my "approach was" or that I didn't "trust" the movie? What are you even talking about? I gave you a reaction after I finished watching the movie.

I went in with low expectations, thought it would be decent, but I was disappointed. It's not like the first thing that doesn't work for you immediately makes you go "That's it! I've made up my mind that I'm not going to like this". Yes all of those movies have some of the elements that I listed, but I felt like this one laided it on way too thick and overpowered me with schlock and sentimentality-- Every minute, Andy was doing something supposedly "amazing and beautiful" and changing someone's life. I thought it was ridiculous and had the opposite effect for me.

The part that especially made me go "give me a break" was when the teenage kid came in all "Woo, rock and roll! Leather Jackets! Teach me to READ" and then the cartoonishly villainous Warden took him out cackling all the way. It was borderline camp, not only without any of the charm, but also with a layer of ridiculously unwarranted self-importance to it.

I felt the same way about the Avengers as you did, but it was at worse a neutral, uninspired, if not lightheartedly harmless fun watch-- Shawshank actively upset and annoyed me and was a negative experience for me. I'm just using that to illustrate what degree I dislike the movie. For me personally, it aimed higher and crashed harder, whereas at least something harmless like The Avengers aimed really low and generally hit its marks.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-04-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Some old independant favs I have watched again recently...

Director Hal Hartley...(you will know if you like his style within 30 seconds of any movie he has made. Very unique, timing creates tension, humour etc.) I know some people absolutely hate his style so it will be evident very quickly for most. American independant...does a lot with little. Also known for Henry Fool and Fay Grim.

Simple Men 7/10
Trust 8/10
Amateur 8/10

Also

Naked by Mike Leigh 9/10 (contains one of the most memorable rants I can remember in a movie)
Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders 9/10. Angels, Peter Falk as himself with Nick Cave..in German. Nough said.

Last edited by crump: 01-04-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Hippasus

Something I just realized about Life of Pi (6.5 / 10):
Spoil:
If it supposed to be about faith and not theism, why wouldn't the death of his family lead him to question his faith more? Yeah there was a storm where he was close to cursing God, but wouldn't there be more trials and tribulations re: his personal faith? That it's supposed to be about faith would make me bump it up to a 7.75 (initially I gave it a 7). That it doesn't effectively give a fuller and more realistic view of faith makes me bring it down to a 6.5.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
kihei

Quote:
They might be good points in a random vaccuum, but I don't see what they have to do with what I said.
Huh???? I was responding to Whiskey Seven's comment because I thought it was interesting. Nothing to do with you.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Killing them Softly - 7.5/10
Rewatch..The Big Lebowski - 8.5/10

Old
01-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Jevo

Quote:

Zero Dark Thirty (2012), directed by Kathryn Bigelow: Zero Dark Thirty chronicles the long and eventually successful search by the CIA for 9/11 mastermind Osama Bin Laden. The movie starts with a black screen accompanied by actual voice recordings taken from people trapped in the middle of the attack, a device which almost instantly triggers a host of troubling memories. From that point, the film chronicles the long, frustrating search for Bin Laden and its eventual outcome. Whatever Bigelow’s personal feelings are about the illegitimacy of torture or the ethics of a revenge kill she wisely keeps on the sidelines. This to me is a sane, fully defensible approach, but for some critics it has led to charges that she has made an amoral movie. Maybe she has, but it's a non-issue to me. After all, the movie is a case history, not an exploration of the ethical choices involved in the entire operation. Quite rightly, Bigelow leaves the audience to debate the complex issues that arise out of this operation. She simply records what she thinks took place. Throughout its length, Zero Dark Thirty focuses on one central character, Maya (Jessica Chastain), the driving force whose single-minded, iron-willed resolve eventually brings down Bin Laden. She seems like a bit of an oversimplification constructed to suit the narrative, but Chastain is tenacious in the role and will obviously give Jennifer Lawrence a run for her money come Oscar season. Ultimately the movie seems more a work of craftsmanship rather than art, but I found it gripping and very well directed.

Best of 2012

1. Amour, Haneke, Austria/France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. Life of Pi, Lee, Hong Kong/US
5. This Is Not a Film, Pahani, Iran
6. No, Larrain, Chile
7. Holy Motors, Carax, France
8. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
9. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
10. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
10a Sister, Meier, Switzerland
10b Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway

11. Stories We Tell, Polley, Canada
12. Zero Dark Thirty, Bigelow, US
So Oscar buzz for Chastain. Is there an actress with a better resume than her in the last two years? The Tree of Life, The Help and Take Shelter last year, and Zero Dark Thirty this year, among others. And she just came totally out of nowhere last year as well. Where was she hiding the first 7 years of her screen acting career?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Huh???? I was responding to Whiskey Seven's comment because I thought it was interesting. Nothing to do with you.
No, I know, but still.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:28 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Zero Dark Thirty - So this might be my favorite film of the year. I'll admit that I'm a lot closer to the subject matter than most people having done intel work overseas and dealt with the institutions involved, although not specifically obviously. I found the film to be riveting and a lot more true to life than The Hurt Locker, which was my biggest worry. Sure, Maya's character is most likely an amalgamation of tons of players in the intel world, but she works for the film and Chastain is my front runner for Best Actress. The torture scenes almost feel moot by the end of the film and that might just be my acceptance of it. I was a little annoyed at the chapters, or whatever they were, titles that popped up every once in a while. Totally unnecessary. But overall, just a fantastic film.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:33 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Zero Dark Thirty - So this might be my favorite film of the year. I'll admit that I'm a lot closer to the subject matter than most people having done intel work overseas and dealt with the institutions involved, although not specifically obviously. I found the film to be riveting and a lot more true to life than The Hurt Locker, which was my biggest worry. Sure, Maya's character is most likely an amalgamation of tons of players in the intel world, but she works for the film and Chastain is my front runner for Best Actress. The torture scenes almost feel moot by the end of the film and that might just be my acceptance of it. I was a little annoyed at the chapters, or whatever they were, titles that popped up every once in a while. Totally unnecessary. But overall, just a fantastic film.
I agree about the chapters. It was the only aspect of the film that seemed rushed or poorly thought through to me. I hope they don't market this film the way they did The Hurt Locker, whose distribution seemed to go out of its way to make the movie difficult for people to find. It was marketed like a Bulgarian avant-garde art film.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:36 AM
kihei

Quote:
No, I know, but still.
Still what, for christsakes?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:49 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
I agree about the chapters. It was the only aspect of the film that seemed rushed or poorly thought through to me. I hope they don't market this film the way they did The Hurt Locker, whose distribution seemed to go out of its way to make the movie difficult for people to find. It was marketed like a Bulgarian avant-garde art film.
I think there's a lot more buzz right now for this one for sure. I think a lot of people will watch it for the UBL angle alone. I still have a few of the major releases to see still but this is for sure one of the best of the year.

Closed Thread