HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Away From Her - 4/10

I was really quite dissapointed with this movie since I enjoyed Take This Waltz. I think a big problem with it was the length. I guess I am not at the point where I can sit through a slow movie for 110 minutes yet. Most of the slow cinema I have enjoyed has clocked in around 80-90 minutes.

I had other problems as well. I thought Polley was a little heavy handed particularly early on. It seemed liked she was working too hard to try to establish the fact that Christie's character had Alzheimer's. Then once it got going, it felt like I was watching the same scene over and over.

There were some things I liked. I thought Julie Christie was outstanding. I liked the Canadian feel of it and it was nice to hear some Neil Young. I also thought the final scene was very powerful. Sadly, it just couldn't hold my interest.
Yeah, I powered through and loved it. Still put it on when I feel the need for a good cry.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
La Strada: 9/10
Who knows why it takes me so long to watch certain movies. I've owned this forever, finally got to it last night. What a great, sad, tragic, funny movie this is. In the all-time pantheon of "they were made for that role", Giulietta Masina takes top spot. The expressiveness of her face and the way she portrays naive happiness and heartbreaking sadness - incredible. I'll have to scope out Nights of Cabiria next.
One thing that did disappoint me with the movie was the dubbing. Even if standards back then aren't as they are now, it was still pretty poor. I can forgive having Anthony Quinn speak his lines in English and dubbing them in Italian (though I don't love it) but little things like the trumpet sounds not even synching up with the movement of Gelsomina's lips - that kind of bugs me. I kind of wonder why so little attention was paid to these minor details that would have been easy to fix. Oh well.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
kihei

vCash: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Kihei,

What's your take on these two films:

Once Were Warriors:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110729/

Sweet Sixteen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/

Thoughts on Jake and Liam?
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen Once Were Warriors. I just chickened out basically. It sounded like the movie equivalent of getting run over by a very large tank, and I decided to sit it out.

Haven't seen Sweet Sixteen either. I'm generally not a Loach fan (Mike Leigh, either--I'm not usually a fan of Brit/Irish kitchen-sink realism in general), though I admit he is a good director. And I did think that The Wind That Shakes the Barley was an exceptionally fine movie.

Given that those are both lame-ass excuses for not seeing potentially important movies, I will see both these films and report back. Gimme a week.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Animal Kingdom--I'm guessing the material might be a little similar, though the approach is possibly more subtle. I think that there is a good chance you might like this movie or, at least, find it interesting.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Away From Her - 4/10
This will sound daft. But tuck it away for twenty years (or more) and then see it again. Just speaking for myself, I find that the older I get, the better some movies seem to have gotten. Doesn't work every time, but this one might work for you.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen Once Were Warriors. I just chickened out basically. It sounded like the movie equivalent of getting run over by a very large tank, and I decided to sit it out.

Haven't seen Sweet Sixteen either. I'm generally not a Loach fan (Mike Leigh, either--I'm not usually a fan of Brit/Irish kitchen-sink realism in general), though I admit he is a good director. And I did think that The Wind That Shakes the Barley was an exceptionally fine movie.

Given that those are both lame-ass excuses for not seeing potentially important movies, I will see both these films and report back. Gimme a week.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Animal Kingdom--I'm guessing the material might be a little similar, though the approach is possibly more subtle. I think that there is a good chance you might like this movie or, at least, find it interesting.
So I take it you were not too fond of "This Is England" then?

I will try to dig up a copy of Animal Kingdom when I get a chance.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
McDeepika

Quote:
This will sound daft. But tuck it away for twenty years (or more) and then see it again. Just speaking for myself, I find that the older I get, the better some movies seem to have gotten. Doesn't work every time, but this one might work for you.
Doesn't sound daft at all. My taste in movies has changed a ton in just the last 2-3 years. I can't imagine how different it will be in 20. I plan to watch it again much quicker than that though.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Django Unchained isn't for everyone and even those who like Tarantino might not all love it. It is more similar to Inglorious Basterds than any other of his movies, in fact I'd say that it is a southern fantasy tale not unlike 2010's True Grit, Basterds meet Grit.

I can't come up with much more to say about it. My tastes in movies is that I favour vivid experiences (Blade Runner, Life of Pi, etc) and well written characters/dialogue(Dazed and Confused, The Departed, Collateral) more than anything - Django Unchained is a lurid experience much more than anything else and I really enjoyed it but I won't be surprised to see it not atop of everyone top10-of-the-year lists as it's not exactly groundbreaking unique in the post-Pulp Fiction world.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
...My tastes in movies is that I favour vivid experiences (Blade Runner, Life of Pi, etc) and well written characters/dialogue(Dazed and Confused, The Departed, Collateral) more than anything....
This thought just popped into my head despite my best efforts not to think it...I don't know if it is possible to recommend Irreversible exactly, but it is among the two or three most vivid experiences that I have ever had in a movie theatre. If that's what you're after, it would be interesting to get your opinion.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
SB164

Quote:
An excellent film which took me by surprise. Note all the talented Aussie actors who've been given a much deserved career boost as a result of this film (or immediately following it):

-Joel Edgarton went on to star in Warrior, featured in Zero Dark Thirty, and will later be seen in The Great Gatsby

-Ben Mendelsohn has already appeared in The Dark Knight Rises and Killing Them Softly. He'll also be featured in The Place Beyond the Pines.

-Jacki Weaver was just seen in Silver Linings Playbook. Next up for her is Stoker.

Not too shabby for a low-budget Australian flick.

Last edited by SB164: 01-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
This thought just popped into my head despite my best efforts not to think it...I don't know if it is possible to recommend Irreversible exactly, but it is among the two or three most vivid experiences that I have ever had in a movie theatre. If that's what you're after, it would be interesting to get your opinion.
I'm more than willing to give it a shot - I enjoy some of Gaspar Noe's work, though I haven't seen any of his films yet.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your post about approaching movies - I meant to make an independent thread about it but got distracted. And (un)fortunately I'll be vacationing a lot this month so I doubt I'll get a chance to even log onto hfboards before February.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
12 Angry Men - 9.3/10
Alice in Wonderland - 6.8/10
Four Brothers - 6.2/10

Just put on Children of Paradise..... see ya in 3 hours!!

EDIT: Yeah, I cant do this... at least not right now. Im too tired to try and sit here for a 3hour movie. I think i‘ll save this one for when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited by George Maharis: 01-08-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Been watching a ton of older movies lately...

Se7en (1995)

Se7en is one of the more crafty films I have seen to date. Director David Fincher does a terrific job as does crafty writer Andrew Walker. The film is extremely dark and intense throughout the film. It does a great job in incorporating the dark atmosphere by lighting and dialogue. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman both do a terrific job in playing their respective characters; Pitt playing a young, arrogant detective while Freeman portrays the seasoned veteran. Although the film can be predictable at times, the ending is shocking nonetheless. Overall, Se7en is the most thrilling crime-drama I've seen since Silence of the Lambs.

8.8/10

Old
01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Django Unchained isn't for everyone and even those who like Tarantino might not all love it. It is more similar to Inglorious Basterds than any other of his movies, in fact I'd say that it is a southern fantasy tale not unlike 2010's True Grit, Basterds meet Grit.
Call me crazy but it reminded me a bit more of Kill Bill than IB for some reason. Not as crazy of course, but looser, more light-hearted, and more Tarantino doing whatever makes him giddy.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 1742
Quote:
I think Hope Springs might fall into that same category. Both just didn't connect with me at all.

Some movies I've seen lately:

Jeff, Who Lives At Home - Not too bad but felt mostly like a daydream. Convenient when it needed to be and unbelievable on top of that. I've seen a couple Duplass Bros movies now and I don't much care for their style.

Celeste and Jesse Forever - Just a ridiculous premise to start which made for no rooting interest in the characters. Had a student film quality to it.

The Sessions - This was a lot more frank and graphic than I was expecting. Helen Hunt is constantly naked if you're into that and Hawkes does a good job as the lead but nothing too amazing. He's a likable character but it focuses too much on the sex part and not enough of what's going on deep down in the characters for me.

Hitchcock - It's very meh and definitely seems like an HBO movie. I guess it's highly inaccurate in it's historical accuracies so I'm not sure of the point of the film. A film that had some big ideas but wasn't able to pull them off. A mess of a movie.

Hyde Park on Hudson - Wannabe Oscar bait that fails hard at that. Bill Murray goes for an Oscar and turns out a boring, unconvincing FDR. The whole movie is muddled between his relationship with his cousin Daisy and the King of England visiting. Neither are compelling and the movie as a whole is grating. Avoid.

Seven Psychopaths - I enjoyed it but not as much as In Bruges. It's very dark and twisted at times but has quite a few funny moments. Sam Rockwell is great. I expected better, though.

Now I'm gonna go wash my brain out.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Seven Psychopaths - I enjoyed it but not as much as In Bruges. It's very dark and twisted at times but has quite a few funny moments. Sam Rockwell is great. I expected better, though.
Agreed with all of this.

Saw it for Tom Waits, stayed for Sam Rockwell. I'll use this post to recommend Moon to everyone as well, Sam Rockwell destroys in that movie.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Warrior: 8/10

What a film. I was really pleasantly surprised from Jennifer Morrison and Nick Nolte. Nolte because he really exceeded my expectations from his role. I wasn't expecting much out of Morrison but she really sold her role as the "not so supportive, supportive" wife.

Tom Hardy continues to solidify himself as one of the top actors going right now, and his character has such a deep story behind him, and I think the movie does a great job making you want more out of it.

Definitely highly recommended.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:51 PM
timekeep

40 yr old virgin - 8/10
it was on last night and decided to watch for a second time, all I can think of is the waxing scene.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Rust and Bone: 5/10
This is not a very good film, and what makes Rust and Bone even more disappointing is the fact that it has so many strong elements - you get the sense that there's a really great movie just outside the frame, waiting to be put together into something fantastic...and either Audiard lost the plot or I just didn't get it.
This movie has absolutely no rhythm, the tone is consistently messy, and it completely wastes the definitely-there chemistry between its two leads (who both give excellent performances). It's soundtrack is overwrought (figures that it's Bon Iver, a band I always suspected would annoy me), no more so than at the end of the film, when the "slow the action down and hit play on the soundtrack" reaches its height of saccharine stupidity. The movie is completely devoid of humanity or humour when it would benefit greatly from both. Just an ugly, disappointing experience that could have been so much more, and frankly baffling coming from the hand that crafted A Prophet.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Actually if the movie had played it straight and just told the story, it would have probably been really interesting. This is a movie that wants to tug on the heart strings every chance it gets. Some of the events might have happened but their shape and emphasis is determined by a hack director. It probably bears about as much resemblance to reality as Hitchcock does. And I guarantee you that family did not go around with a string orchestra and piano playing schmaltz in the background on every sensitive occasion.

Sure it has gotten many good reviews, but by no means exclusively. Here's a sampling of other negative reviews from rottentomatoes:

--Jake Mulligan/Boston Phoenix

--Tom Clift/Moviedex

--A A Dowd/Time Out Chicago
--Josh Bell/Las Vegas Weekly
--Robert Lewin/amNew York

--Ty Burr/Boston Globe

--Ed Gonzalez/Slant Magzine
It's still 80% Fresh at RT. It's not like these kind of movies are meant to be movie masterpieces and NOT be sentimental, considering the subject matter. As for the reality of the events, the Finnish media reported the actual family was involved in the making some way and gave their approval to the film. That said, I don't plan on paying to see this one, I'll DVR it when it gets to Finnish tv.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:41 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Thoughts on Jake and Liam?
As I located both movies easily, I watched both Once Were Warriors and Sweet Sixteen tonight.

Whether these are good movies or not, that’s pretty much beside the point. They are first and foremost social statements, and I’m of the Samuel Goldwyn school of thought about social statements: You want to send a message, call Western Union. Any film, such as Once Were Warriors, that shows male violence as ugly and destructive, that illuminates the hell that many aboriginal people go through whether it is the product of neglect and injustice by the larger society and/or, in part, the result of self-inflicted wounds, is a movie that does an important social service. Fine, I think that is praiseworthy. But why do I need to sit through an hour-long orgy of domestic violence before the movie can make its point? Does the movie really earn its hopeful ending? No, but it's the audience's reward for tolerating the carnage.

Likewise, infected social milieu plays an important role In Sweet Sixteen, but, damn, England has been churning out these kinds of movies for the last half century at least and, yet, the class system remains alive and well in Great Britain. Young Liam never has a realistic chance of escape. Success for the 15-year-old boy simply means moving up slightly in the world of crooks, nothing more. If all of these working class British movies have taught me anything, it’s that he doesn't have a way out. So why should I spend nearly two hours of my life with him and his dead end life because the kid isn’t going anywhere good no matter what happens and he’s not that interesting to begin with.

So my final take on Jake is that he is ****ed and deservedly so and that whatever spark Liam might have had will be extinguished probably sooner rather than later. Neither are points that took a great deal of time to figure out. I guess I prefer Once Were Warriors because I do think its social statement deserves the widest possible exposure. But I wouldn't watch either film again. Still I'm glad to have finally seen them and judged for myself.

Last edited by kihei: 01-09-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 12:31 AM
eldiablo17

Anna Karenina (2012)

Finally decided to catch up to this one and for the first half hour I was ready to go against the grain. The film contains a wonderfully musical tone as it bounces from scene to scene in addition to the intriguing concept of incorporating the stage into every scene. In fact this is a level of creativeness and buoyancy I didn't know Joe Wright was capable of and I enjoyed every minute of it.

The first half hour is by far the best part of the movie because after that the plot happens. While I'm not going to pan the plot, I have highly praised "A Royal Affair" earlier this year which isn't too far off in parts. What I will pan is the incredibly thin, uninteresting characters. The complete lack of chemistry between the leads, and as much as I like him, Aaron Taylor-Johnson (I'll have to get used to that) is woefully miscast. I remember hearing that a 15-20 year younger Jude Law would have been perfect in the role which sums up my feeling to what the character needed, especially with Law's shadow over their relationship. It doesn't help that the characters go very quickly and unbelievably from "Nice to meet you" to "I can't live without you". After that it's just an hour slog through 3 uninteresting characters frivolous blight while the beat that invigorated the first act dies and the stage becomes more of a gimmick without a true purpose. The best parts of that coming from brief intermissions where we get to visit Domhnall Gleeson's Levin who does have a somewhat interesting storyline with the vibrant Alicia Vikander (star of "A Royal Affair"). Unfortunately they get far too little screen time.

Then we hit the final half hour where the film was previously just dull and uninteresting now becomes very dislikeable. This is one of the most impressive nosedives, beginning to end, I've seen a film take. Currently tops my worst of 2012 list.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Shareefruck

Prometheus - 2.5 (possibly 3)/5

I thought this was fine, personally. It works very well as a pure spectacle/ride/experience. There are some really silly flaws, but they weren't waved around in my face, didn't seem completely important to me, and they remained far in the back of my head. I thought it was aesthetically very effective, really nice to look at, and I thought Fassbender was really good. I agree that there were parts that were mind-numbingly stupid-- the two guys stuck in the cargo ship, for the most part (who, by the way were seriously awful and unnecessary characters)-- but they ended up being pretty inconsequential either way,
Spoil:
and they were out of the picture almost immediately.
And is it just me, or did Cameron seem to take over Ridley Scott's body or something? The complaints about some of the awful one-dimensional characters are justified, but I thought they were similar to, but alot worse (and significantly more annoying) in Aliens, personally (yet that movie seems to be widely forgiven for it, which seems strange to me)-- I've never been under the impression that Scott had that problem before. (seemed like he was trying to please EVERYONE's/every past movie's expectations to the extent that he inherited their faults as well or something)

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-10-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 02:29 AM
McDeepika

ParaNorman - 2/10

I usually like animated movies, but this one was so boring. I didn't care for the story, the look, or any of the characters.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - 6/10

There are some nice things to say about this movie. At the very least it was unique, and personally I found it interesting. I thought there were some genuine exchanges between the father and daughter and I found the daughter's innocence to be very cute. Unfortunately, it just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What was everybody's attachment to the bathtub? Why did the father want that life for his daughter? It seemed like it was trying to be a very real and powerful experience but it felt so fake. It just didn't come together at all for me and felt weird. Still, I don't regret watching it just because it was so different.

L'Enfant - 10/10

I watched The Kid with a Bike, and I muched prefered this movie over that one, though it looks like I am in the minority on that. There were major decisions made in both movies that came out of the blue. I feel like L'Enfant did a much better job explaining that decision though. At first, it was driving me crazy that somebody would be stupid enough to sell his baby without giving it any thought. As the movie progresses though, you quickly find out that this particular guy is in fact stupid enough. He gets bored very easily, and is extremely impulsive. He doesn't think anything through, and just makes decisions as he goes along. That is his only flaw though. He has a good heart, and I found him to be quite sympathetic. It was really fun following him around. I also have to say, I am really digging this style of movies. They don't distract you with anything fancy; they just present the story. I don't even recall a lot of music being used. It was pretty cool just hearing the sounds of the city. Just an all around pleasure to watch.

Last edited by McDeepika: 01-09-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 08:22 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Silver Linings Playbook - 7.5/10

I really liked Bradley Cooper in this movie, and Jennifer Lawrence did a great job too (plus she's easy on the eyes.) It wasn't what I was expecting it to be but I wasn't let down at all.

Bronson - 8.5/10

I already loved Tom Hardy but holy cow, this made me love him even more. Bronson himself is pretty out there but I love the way he was portrayed by Hardy in this. It was hilarious and brutal all at the same time. Has anyone else seen this?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
As I located both movies easily, I watched both Once Were Warriors and Sweet Sixteen tonight.

Whether these are good movies or not, that’s pretty much beside the point. They are first and foremost social statements, and I’m of the Samuel Goldwyn school of thought about social statements: You want to send a message, call Western Union. Any film, such as Once Were Warriors, that shows male violence as ugly and destructive, that illuminates the hell that many aboriginal people go through whether it is the product of neglect and injustice by the larger society and/or, in part, the result of self-inflicted wounds, is a movie that does an important social service. Fine, I think that is praiseworthy. But why do I need to sit through an hour-long orgy of domestic violence before the movie can make its point? Does the movie really earn its hopeful ending? No, but it's the audience's reward for tolerating the carnage.

Likewise, infected social milieu plays an important role In Sweet Sixteen, but, damn, England has been churning out these kinds of movies for the last half century at least and, yet, the class system remains alive and well in Great Britain. Young Liam never has a realistic chance of escape. Success for the 15-year-old boy simply means moving up slightly in the world of crooks, nothing more. If all of these working class British movies have taught me anything, it’s that he doesn't have a way out. So why should I spend nearly two hours of my life with him and his dead end life because the kid isn’t going anywhere good no matter what happens and he’s not that interesting to begin with.

So my final take on Jake is that he is ****ed and deservedly so and that whatever spark Liam might have had will be extinguished probably sooner rather than later. Neither are points that took a great deal of time to figure out. I guess I prefer Once Were Warriors because I do think its social statement deserves the widest possible exposure. But I wouldn't watch either film again. Still I'm glad to have finally seen them and judged for myself.
With movies like this (and This is England) I prefer to focus on the characters, rather than the social message that is playing tug of war with our hearts. All three movies had appreciative acting that made me want to invest my time in the outcome of their stories. It's a simple thing, but its a rare trick when a film sticks with me for days, like these two did.

You see the characters with a fate already determined because of disadvantages of culture and class (which by all accounts is quite accurate).

I see people who, despite their circumstances, made poor choices, with tragic results. No matter how dire your circumstances, there is always a choice to do right or wrong. Liam and Jake could have found the courage to rise above, but unfortunately they made the easy choices....

Both characters were so well acted, that despite their many flaws, I had held out hope they would change before it was too late for them and those they cared for.

That is what made both films so haunting for me.

Closed Thread