HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 09:47 AM
kihei

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I agree that The Invisible War bears witness to an unspeakable wrong, and I appreciate the fact that it exists so more people can know about this horrible thing. It feels weird to say this, since it seems so beyond criticism given the subject matter, but I didn't "love" the film. I don't think is should be ignored, given the subject, but I felt the filmmaking itself verged on amateurish at times.

It is the most important subject of a documentary this year, but if I made a complete listing of the 2012 films I've seen from favorite to least favorite, The Invisible War would be behind films like The Queen of Versailles, Searching for Sugar Man, and The American Scream.
Yeah, I don't think aesthetics is its strong point. It is a pedestrian piece of film making. And it's not a film that is trying to engender love, so I think that's beside the point.

It would seem that **** and murder are no stranger to the Canadian armed forces as well. After I wrote the review I remembered Colonel Russell Williams, the sadist that ***** several women and murdered two of them. It reminded me of a statistic from the film, that 33% who chose not to file **** charges against their assailant did so because the commander in charge of the investigation was a friend of the rapist and 25% of the women refused to file charges because the commander in charge was the rapist. Obviously if you are a sexual predator and you don't have to worry about getting caught, that circumstance can only lead to more broken lives. Hopefully someone in Canada is paying attention to what is going on in our armed forces.

What I did think the film accomplished very well was making visible this injustice and getting the information out there. As a doc, it is mundane technically, but hopefully it will continue to be seen by the right people and change will finally come.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Ih8theislanders

vCash: 500
Argo- 8.5/10

Went in expecting a lot and wasn't disappointed.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Stu Macher

Finally got around to seeing Django Unchained, and thought it was frustratingly uneven. There were things about it that I did like, especially Christoph Waltz, who is so great here. He gives the best performance of the film, as the best character in the film.

I have an issue with Quentin Tarantino's inability to grow up as a filmmaker, especially in his use of violence, especially in revenge, which he continues to portray as really "cool" and funny. The violence targeted against the people we're supposed to care about is shown as real and brutal, which Tarantino uses to justify his fetishistic love for violence as over the top as usual.

I know the overall tone of both movies is completely different, but we have two films out now that are driven by revenge. One great one, Zero Dark Thirty, which explores the idea of revenge thoughtfully and with great maturity, showing both the benefits and the ugly side of the act with equal care. Then we have Django Unchained, which carries the maturity of a child to the topic. It is a shame, because there were some parts throughout the first half that had me very intrigued, but that was probably mostly due to Waltz.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:11 PM
kihei

Quote:
Finally got around to seeing Django Unchained, and thought it was frustratingly uneven. There were things about it that I did like, especially Christoph Waltz, who is so great here. He gives the best performance of the film, as the best character in the film.

I have an issue with Quentin Tarantino's inability to grow up as a filmmaker, especially in his use of violence, especially in revenge, which he continues to portray as really "cool" and funny. The violence targeted against the people we're supposed to care about is shown as real and brutal, which Tarantino uses to justify his fetishistic love for violence as over the top as usual.

I know the overall tone of both movies is completely different, but we have two films out now that are driven by revenge. One great one, Zero Dark Thirty, which explores the idea of revenge thoughtfully and with great maturity, showing both the benefits and the ugly side of the act with equal care. Then we have Django Unchained, which carries the maturity of a child to the topic. It is a shame, because there were some parts throughout the first half that had me very intrigued, but that was probably mostly due to Waltz.
Have you seen Chan Wook Park's the Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance; Old Boy; Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). Those are all movies about revenge that are thematically very rich.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I saw Parental Guidance last week...and I gotta tell you...it was really friggen funny. I was very surprised. Billy Crystal is pure gold.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:07 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:

Without seeing the movie...I can tell you that I know exactly what you mean. I found that with alot of his other movies he did the exact same thing. I personally that his best film, until now, was Kill Bill vol 2. Every other movie has some pointless scene that lasts half a ****ing hour and the rest is so over the top and non-linear. It's becoming harder and harder to take him seriously as a film maker. His scripts are well done, there is some incredible dialogue there.

I don't know...I just find his ability to capture any moment of emotion is a movie ridiculous.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:55 PM
NightBlazer

vCash: 338
Tarantino has used the same formula the last two movies; Jews vs. Nazi's, Slaves vs. Slave owners. Gives the audience a justification for cheering on extreme violence. I guess Kill Bill is the same revenge formula, but less of a forced social commentary.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Silver Linings Playbook - The movie had such a frenetic energy that it felt very similar to what was going on in Bradley Cooper's character's mind. If that makes sense. I thought it was really good, though, and loved Cooper and Lawrence. They had some great chemistry together. As many times as we've seen this kind of story in movies, Silver Linings at least made it feel fresh. I'm OK with De Niro getting a nom but Jackie Weaver didn't do anything at all to warrant one. She definitely rode the film's wave to a nom.

Django Unchained - I enjoyed the first 2 hours or so and didn't feel like it dragged too much. I know with QT I'm gonna get some non sequitur scenes so I didn't mind the hood scene. But once it got towards the end I thought QT just ran out of steam and didn't really know how to end it. I wish he'd have gone in another direction. I thought Foxx, Waltz, DiCaprio, and Jackson were are all pretty great and the dialogue was fantastic. I think QT needs someone to help him reign in his talent. This could have been a lot better. And I really hated the blood spatter. There was really no need for that at all.

Trouble With the Curve - Not as terrible as I thought it was going to be but still pretty bad. Awful dialogue, uninteresting characters, and the message that computers can't beat seeing someone in person rang hollow. Some of the baseball stuff was interesting, though.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Just watched Cabin in the Woods. I don't often end up this uncertain whether I liked / disliked a movie. I tend to saying I didn't like it.

There's no doubt it's not meant to be taken seriously, as certain parts make very obvious, but then again, it felt like they didn't really know quite what they wanted to do with this movie. For a parody, there isn't much being parodied, other than the premise. For a trashy/comedy horror movie, there isn't many actual fun parts. For long stretches, it was just a generic horror movie. Sure, those can be seen as a part of it being the parody it apparently wants to be, but I even though it was fitting, I didn't see much of an appeal in it. There just didn't seem to be a balance.

For what it supposedly is, I enjoyed a movie like "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" way, way more than this. And for what I felt it actually was - I just don't think I had a need for it. I'd give it 5/10, I suppose.

Recently I also watched Moonrise Kingdom. Beautiful and rather unique movie, in how it creates a fairytale atmosphere in a relatively modern setting. Execution seemed pretty flawless. 8.5/10.

Before that, and in a rather heavy-hearted mood, I saw Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, which I enjoyed, as well. It's not Old Boy (which I just then realized I had not watched in too long), but I thought it was an interesting take on the topic of revenge as well, with a bit of a different angle, maybe. Even though I realized I'm at the very other end of the scale when it comes to the topic at hand, I thoroughly enjoyed (which isn't really a good term for the experience) the movie. I think I might have been a little swayed because I haven't watched any Asian movie in too long, and because this one seemed to do a great job of creating the somewhat unique atmosphere it had going on. 7.5/10.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Have you seen Chan Wook Park's the Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance; Old Boy; Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). Those are all movies about revenge that are thematically very rich.
I have not seen Lady Vengeance, but I do own it and want to watch it.

I think I posted on here when I saw Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, saying that while I like Oldboy more as an overall viewing experience, I think Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is a better examination of the act of revenge.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Stu Macher

It's funny how discussing or writing about a film helps you realize so much more how you truly feel about the film. Earlier today, when I first watched Django Unchained, I felt fairly positive about it, with some minor issues. But when I went to start writing about it, only negative things came out for the most part (other than praise for Waltz), and I realized that I don't really like Django Unchained.

On the other hand, I was writing defenses for Amour and Haneke from a critic aquaintance from back in D.C. who just saw Amour, and was distraught that it was nominated for Director and Actress (of course, this is a person who said Les Miserables was the best film of the year). Just writing my defense made me realize how much I really love that movie.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:26 AM
kihei

Quote:
I think I posted on here when I saw Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, saying that while I like Oldboy more as an overall viewing experience, I think Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is a better examination of the act of revenge.
Totally agree, though it took me a hell of a long time to figure that out.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:31 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Django 10/10, any other year it's a 9/10

I'm addicted to that soundtrack

Old
01-13-2013, 06:37 AM
stingo

Silver Linings Playbook

There's nothing new to say here, that hasn't been said fifty times already here before. I really enjoyed this film, and thought the director brought a fresh, and new energy to this type of film. It's probably the best film De'Niro's been in, in the last 10 years. He played his role perfectly, and glad he's getting a nomination.

8.6/10

Old
01-13-2013, 06:42 AM
stingo

Argo

Ben Affleck has officially redeemed himself for giving us Gigli, Jersey Girl, and the likes. This is his third movie as a director (Not counting a couple of short films) and each one of those movies have seen Affleck improve. Never thought he could have given us something like this.

The last half of the movie had me on the edge of my seat.

8.8/10

Old
01-13-2013, 09:05 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Safety Not Guaranteed: 8/10

An interesting look at the cliched love storyline. Thought Aubrey Plaza was good, and they also did a really good job of developing secondary characters without much screen time.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Cabin in the Woods (2012) - 8.5/10

This movie was full of unexpected weirdness. I'm not a big horror movie fan, but this was a unique top notch effort of the genre and well worth the watch.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
kihei

How I Ended My Summer (2008), directed by Aleksey Popogrebskiy: Two Russian meteorologists are stationed alone in the remote Arctic tundra. It’s summer so there isn’t much snow but the territory could not be more desolate. The first 35 minutes of the film are almost slow cinema as the two men go about their work taking measurements from various odd-looking instruments scattered in the near distance around the little outpost that they inhabit. They frequently report their findings to the mainland via short wave radio. Pascha is young and feels vaguely threatened by his older partner Sergei who is dour and intimidating. In fact, they have something of a strained relationship, one that makes Pascha a little nervous. Then, while his partner is out fishing, Pascha is informed that Sergei’s much-loved family has been killed in an accident. Pascha is told to tell Sergei and then get out of his way. Pascha, panicking just a little, decides not to tell him at all. But how long before Sergei finds out, and what then? The movie cleverly builds suspense out of a unique situation in a very forbidding locale. It helps greatly that Popogrebskiy is adept at taking the elements he has to work with, including the strangely photogenic landscape, and creating a compelling sense of atmosphere and psychological dread. While one or two questionable plot turns provide minor blemishes, this movie is one of the most engaging, well-directed and intelligent thrillers that I have seen in a long time.

Last edited by kihei: 01-13-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Silver Linings Playbook - 8.5/10

Old
01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Zero Dark Thirty: 8.5/10
I was a little unsure of its episodic format, but I think it generally worked well. And I can't really imagine another way to have done it. Everything I was supposed to feel and didn't with The Hurt Locker, I felt here. The pacing was tight, the acting was great (though as much as I like Chastain, I don't think she was that unbelievable) and the direction was superb. The final sequence plays out like a masterclass of maintaining tension and suspense in direction...with the added challenge of playing to an audience who knows how it all ends anyway. Excellent.

The Wages of Fear: 8/10
Catching up on on an old Criterion I never got around to watching, I enjoyed this early suspense/road movie from Henri-Georges Clouzot very much. At 2 and a half hours it is a bit bloated. The South American scenes, as much as I enjoyed them, could have been trimmed a bit. I'm not sure so much exposition and background story was necessary. The trip itself was great...filled with ups and downs which each of the four drivers' personalities taking centre stage at a certain point. I was fearful for a moment that we were in for a happy ending - Clouzot rightfully snatches that away with bombastic, evil glee.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Django Unchained

6/10 way too long. Nothing good in the movie beside Christoph Waltz. Clearly one of the worst Tarantino movie.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Lebowski

Lawless. Loved it. Tom Hardy is simply spectacular in this movie, and I don't get why the critics are so harsh.

I'd rate it 8/10. Definitely worth a watch.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Argo - 9/10

Old
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
kihei

Tulpan (2008), directed by Sergei Dvortsevoy: After serving in the Russian navy, Asa returns to the desolate Kazakhstan steppes to live in a yurt (a large portable single-room hut) with Samal, his sister, who is married to Ondas, a man who has little use for Asa, whom he thinks is not cut out for nomadic life. However, Asa loves the harsh existence and the barren landscape and dreams only of owning his own modest farm someday. However, to do so, he needs a bride and the girl in question, Tulpan, wants no part of him. Between his brother-in-law and Tulpan, maybe Asa is better off giving up. But he’s got a lot of spirit and isn’t dissuaded easily. Life on the Kazakhstan steppes is no picnic as sometime it seems that all that exists is dirt, horizon and sky. While Asa’s fate is open to question, his story is told with great charm and humour. The movie, filled with memorable characters, reveals a reality nearly unfathomable to most viewers. Various animals--sheep, camels, goats, donkeys, and a turtle that a child uses like a push toy--play important roles in the narrative. In fact never has the birth of a sheep managed to generate more tension. The only other movie I can even compare Tulpan to is The Story of the Weeping Camel, which is set in the Gobi desert of Mongolia. While that is a very good movie, Tulpan is clearly a much better one.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Lincoln

7.5/10 An interesting movie. The actual Republican party should watch this movie and be ashamed of what they have become.

Closed Thread