HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

vCash: 500
Lincoln

7.5/10 An interesting movie. The actual Republican party should watch this movie and be ashamed of what they have become.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
eldiablo17

Berberian Sound Studio (2012)

A British sound engineer goes to Italy to work on an Itialian Horror film. Soon enough the constant screams and voilence begin to affect him in this psychological thriller. On it's surface there is a very intriguing Hitchcockian premise and with Toby Jones staring this is a film that had my attention. In the beginning, the claustrophobic setting and piercing sounds helped produce a very tight and interesting movie. Unfortunately, it ends up either not knowing what it wants to be or just fails in doing much at all. It starts to become less Hitchcock and more David Lynch and poorly done Lynch doesn't work very well at all. I did appreciate the amount of attention that was given to the process of sound editing in film but on a narrative level it just didn't pull through.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
kihei

vCash: 3125

Our Beloved Month of August (2008), directed by Miguel Gomes: This movie is a mixture of documentary and fiction that starts out as random as it can get, and stays that way for the longest time. A director named Gomes has started his film, even though he has no actors. His producer (obviously a part of the ruse) comes on the scene, unintentionally knocking over about a thousand dominoes in the process, and wants to know what’s going on, so Gomes tells him he wants to film people, not actors, which he continues to do. We get snippets of different real-life people in various situations: there’s a drunk in a café; a girl who watches for forest fires; a strange man who jumps off bridges, and on and on. The movie begins to seem like a motley travelogue of the back roads of Portugal, though a motley travelogue that is beautifully photographed. Most of these characters are quite interesting in their own right, which kept me paying attention. Gomes also decides to focus on amateur bands that perform in town squares and tiny festivals, and we get several extended snippets of songs from these groups. One of these bands features a young teenage guitarist/songwriter. All of a sudden about 90 minutes into this playful grab-bag of hybrid cinema, a genuine movie plot starts around this kid and his relationship with his girlfriend. And the rest of the movie focuses on the two of them and the adults who try to control them. As the credits begin to roll, Gomes and his sound engineer have a long, hilarious discussion, with the rest of the crew chipping in, about the miscellaneous noises that keep mysteriously appearing on the soundtrack. Like all those bands that he's insisted on recording, for instance. Gomes’ Tabu (2012) has style and originality to burn, but this film is one audacious piece of film making. Our Beloved Month of August will either try your patience or delight you.

Last edited by kihei: 01-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Gangster Squad 8/10

Pretty good all around. Biggest complaint was that it started a little slow. Can't think of anything else to say other then some strange editing/effects in one scene (won't spoil, but the prison scene for anyone who has seen it), but that is hardly anything

Old
01-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Habitat

The Impossible - 9/10 - Such a good movie. Was interested from start to finish, I seriously reccomend you see this if you havn't

Old
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Just got my ticket confirmation for The Master on opening night next week at the Rotterdam International Film Festival

Old
01-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Jevo

Amour (2012)

Wow. This is probably one of the hardest movies to watch this year. Hanekes directing is amazing, and his actors are top notch. Both Tritignant and Riva are fantastic, Riva is so good that it hurts to see her act in this one. She is unlikely to win the Oscar, but she is my horse in the race.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Habsfan22100

Killing Them Softly: 8.5/10

Definitely not something I would recommend to everyone, but I really enjoyed it. I was very impressed with the way the film was shot and the whole cast was great, especially Pitt who delivered another excellent performance. The political angle felt a bit forced at times, but it didn't really affect my enjoyment too much. It's definitely a dialogue heavy film but that's usually a big plus for me personally, especially with a strong cast.

It doesn't quite live up to Dominik's previous effort, but it is a very worthy follow-up.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Lebowski

Argo

8,5/10

Even though it starts off pretty slow, this has to be one of the most nerve-racking movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed feelings at first, but all in all, this is a great movie.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Bomber0104

Lincoln

7/10

Nice costumes, score, acting and visuals but the dialogue absolutely fell flat...

Very poor screenplay.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Killing Them Softly - 8.5/10
Dialog driven, great cast, excellent soundtrack (The scene where Pitt and Liotta meet is outstanding)

Gangster Squad-8/10
Extremely cheesy and corny but full of action, an extremely likable cast and an all around fun movie.

01-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Shareefruck

Hunger Games - 2.5/5
Good, but pretty much a blatant ripoff, isn't it? How did the writer of the book get away with that (was it acknowledged by him/her as a loose remake)? Battle Royale is so well-known and popular already.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Hunger Games - 2.5/5
Good, but pretty much a blatant ripoff, isn't it? How did the writer of the book get away with that (was it acknowledged by him/her as a loose remake)? Battle Royale is so well-known and popular already.
Wiki:

Quote:
The 2008 American young adult novel The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins has been accused of being strikingly similar to Battle Royale in terms of the basic plot premise and the world within the book. While Collins maintains that she "had never heard of that book until her book was turned in", Susan Dominus of The New York Times reports that "the parallels are striking enough that Collins's work has been savaged on the blogosphere as a baldfaced ripoff," but argued that "there are enough possible sources for the plot line that the two authors might well have hit on the same basic setup independently."[28] The general consensus in the time since has been one of amicable controversy, especially since the release of the The Hunger Games film adaptation. Battle Royale author Takami said he appreciated fans "standing up" for his book, but stated that he thinks "every novel has something to offer," and that if "readers find value in either book, that's all an author can ask for."[29]
I tend to agree with Dominus' conclusion.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Wiki:
Quote:
Battle Royale author Takami said he appreciated fans "standing up" for his book, but stated that he thinks "every novel has something to offer," and that if "readers find value in either book, that's all an author can ask for."[29]
In the world's great religious battles, chalk one tiny little point up for Buddhism.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
kihei

California Dreamin' (2012), directed by Cristian Nemescu: A NATO train with sensitive equipment bound for the war in Kosovo gets waylaid in a small village outside of Bucharest, Romania. Doiaru, the station master and a stickler for detail, will not let the train pass until he sees the correct customs papers. Five days later the train is still sitting on the tracks waiting for authorization from the Romanian defense ministry. Captain Jones (Armand Assante in full bantam rooster mode), the leader of the US troops on the train, is beside himself with impatience, but the rest of his men have fun flirting with the local girls. Doiaru is also a corrupt black marketer who the town dearly wishes to be rid of. He has a pretty daughter itching for change, as well. This comedy has the sweep of a Robert Altman film, with Nemescu deftly juggling a number of sub-plots. The character development is unfailingly marvelous, with not a single stereotype among the whole lot. Usually humour in Romanian film provokes many rueful chuckles. In this case, however, in addition to chuckles galore, there are a lot of full scale laughs. Some might find the ending a little jarring, but I thought it worked well enough. Sadly, Nemescu was killed in a car accident just after this film was finished. He gave every evidence here of being an extremely gifted director who would have had a brilliant future. For anyone interested in Romania’s New Wave, this is a must-see.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 01-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 01:56 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Berberian Sound Studio (2012)

A British sound engineer goes to Italy to work on an Itialian Horror film. Soon enough the constant screams and voilence begin to affect him in this psychological thriller. On it's surface there is a very intriguing Hitchcockian premise and with Toby Jones staring this is a film that had my attention. In the beginning, the claustrophobic setting and piercing sounds helped produce a very tight and interesting movie. Unfortunately, it ends up either not knowing what it wants to be or just fails in doing much at all. It starts to become less Hitchcock and more David Lynch and poorly done Lynch doesn't work very well at all. I did appreciate the amount of attention that was given to the process of sound editing in film but on a narrative level it just didn't pull through.
I'd heard about this one a while ago and pretty much forgot about it until I saw your review. Even though you didn't seem too enamored with it, it still whetted my appetite so I...acquired it. Hopefully I can get to it soon (famous last words).

Old
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Wiki:

I tend to agree with Dominus' conclusion.
Really? It seemed similar enough that I have a lot of difficulty believing that it was a coincidence. Besides, I don't know many people at all who aren't at least aware of the existence of Battle Royale and its basic premise. Even when she was just conceiving the idea, somebody must have pointed it out to her.

I don't mind that they're similar, but it sure sounds pretty skeptical.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Really? It seemed similar enough that I have a lot of difficulty believing that it was a coincidence. Besides, I don't know many people at all who aren't at least aware of the existence of Battle Royale and its basic premise. Even when she was just conceiving the idea, somebody must have pointed it out to her.

I don't mind that they're similar, but it sure sounds pretty skeptical.
I don't know, I don't think it's unfathomable that a writer of young adult fiction has never heard of Battle Royale. I probably wouldn't know about it if I wasn't into weird movies.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Argo

8,5/10

Even though it starts off pretty slow, this has to be one of the most nerve-racking movie I've seen in a long time. I had mixed feelings at first, but all in all, this is a great movie.
I really enjoyed it too when I watched it a week or so ago. I knew it wasn't actually factual, but realizing it's a Hollywood movie I gave it a pass on that.

But as I learned more and more just how much Ben Affleck twisted the truth, the appeal of the movie dwindled. I mean, a major key player were left out due to cost and time???

It makes me wonder, if Ben Affleck had directed Lincoln, would the south have won?

Old
01-16-2013, 08:15 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
California Dreamin' (2012),
I met Armand Assante at my local film festival last year and he was such a Hollywood d***. Movie sounds really interesting, though. I wish I could see a fraction of the non blockbuster films your review. My area just doesn't have any places to see them.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I don't know, I don't think it's unfathomable that a writer of young adult fiction has never heard of Battle Royale. I probably wouldn't know about it if I wasn't into weird movies.
Strange, when I grew up, there was at least a short period of time where it was a huge fad and everybody talked about it. That was long before I got into movies.

I wouldn't expect most people to have seen it, but I would have expected nearly everyone to have heard of the premise.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-17-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Paranormal Activity 4 - 6˝ or 7-/10. Potential spoilers coming but the movie was out last year so ef you all if you continue reading not wanting to get spoiled. So the movie sort of continues from the first or second one with Katie(damn Katie Featherstone is fiiiine ) moving into a new neighborhood with her sisters son Hunter or Robbie or whatever. Robbie starts making friends the family's (whom we're stalking this time) son who turns out to be adopted. Most of the movie were following the family's elder 15 year old daughter Alex and her wannabe boyfriend/stalker Ben who notice all sorts of weird sound and stuff happening when Robbie's "mom" Katie has to go to hospital for some reason (house was on fire or something) and Robbie lives with them. Nice use of the Xbox Kinect camera's infra red coupled with video cam nightvision shows Robbie's "friend" sitting next to him on the sofa. Those who've seen the previous movies know what happens next: loud steps, thuds, door sounds, chandeliers swinging before the demon moves in, fails to kill the daughter Alex (for once a logical way out of trouble, followed by illogical behavior from the parents) takes over the adopted son, then Katie comes in to the house, her demon(?) kills the mom, the stalker/boyfriend Ben, probably the dad as well and the ending sequence sees the yard of Katie's house filled with covent women before monsterface Katie attacks Alex. Que ending credits. Quite the lame ending although scary in a way. We still weren't much informed about the demon or the covent which worships/breeds(?) them, other than the process they use to take over the body of a child.

I wonder where they'll go with this next? Would be interesting to know if Oren Peli had the background story in place when making the first one or are they winging it like with the Saw movies? If you watch this at night, in a dark room and don't analyze everything like a movie critic of a hipsters, you'll get a few scares from this and the familiar pissed off feeling(that you know you're going to want to see the next one as well) at the suddenish end. They better start revealing more about this covent or show how they can be stopped or fought or it's going to become very monotonous and depressive series. If "evil" ends up winning, The Cabin In The Woods already did that and more entertainingly.

Edit: I realized after the going to bed that Wyatt was actually Hunter whom Katie took at the end of the second one. But who the hell was this Robbie kid?

Last edited by Jussi: 01-17-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Adventures of Tintin -- 6/10
Being a fan of the comics growing I was hoping this would pretty good, but it ended up being kind of disappointing, it seemed like they were stuck halfway between being too realistic vs being too cartoony. I really enjoyed Cpt. Haddock in this.

The Artist -- 5.5/10
Of the films that have won best picture at the oscars, this is definitely one of the poorer ones I've seen. This movie is definitely not my thing, found it difficult to get into. I don't know how this won best picture really, it almost seems as though it's a gimmick win, choosing this movie to be the best picture solely because it's so different. Of the best picture nominees from last year that I've seen, the descendents is still my favorite.

Dredd -- 6.5/10
I've only seen bits and pieces of the original dredd movie starring sly stallone, but I remember it being dreadful. This movie, however, was surprisingly okay, albeit still not that good of a movie.

The Expendables 2 -- 1/10
This movie did not need to be made, just crap from front to back.

Hugo -- 5.5/10
An other disappointment, since it was nominate for best picture last year at the oscars I was expecting something better. I lost interest about halfway through when the boys focus changed from his father to the older man.

Jeff Who Lives at Home -- 3/10
Meh, maybe a laugh or two, nothing much going on here.

Magic Mike -- 6/10
I saw this being talked about in the "worst movie of the year thread" and decided to check it out. My first reaction to this movie after hearing about it via word-of-mouth or through the media that it was going to be some stupid male stripper comedy or something and decided that there was no way I'd ever watch it. Well, it wasn't that bad of a movie after all. It wasn't at all what I expected, it was considerably more dark than I had anticipated.

Shame -- 6.5/10
The first 10mins could've cut down on the few repeat full frontal scenes involving fassbender, there was maybe three identical scenes where nothing really happens, just fassbender walking around naked. From that part on until his "binge" at the end I thought this was a decent movie. Though the end kind of killed it for me.

Wanderlust -- 1/10
Brutal, should've known this would have been awful with the two leads being jen aniston and paul rudd.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
kihei

Under the Sea (2000), directed by Francois Ozon: Marie and Jean, a middle-aged couple, go on their first vacation in years to the French seashore. Their first morning there, they visit the beach where Jean goes for a swim as Marie stays behind to sunbathe. Time passes and Jean does not return. Marie searches frantically, but she cannot find him. She notifies the authorities, but Jean is gone. His body is not found. She returns to their apartment in Paris and life eventually goes on. Only it is as if Jean never died; he remains a living presence to her. While this sounds like a ghost story, it is more a psychological study of a woman coping not very well with her grief. There is a refined creepiness to the story, but the movie only works because of Charlotte Rampling’s committed performance as Marie. Rather than making her character seem an eccentric madwoman, she instead makes Marie seem like just a very vulnerable human being attempting to cope with an impossible reality. However, Rampling’s skill only goes so far. The movie reminds me a little of nouvelle cuisine. The presentation is admirable, but there’s really not much of substance on the plate.

subtitles

Old
01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Last week I read a review in my weekly magazine about Gangster Squad and how this critic talked about it as a worthy successor of Chinatown and LA Confidential. All I can say after watching it tonight is, wow that guy should be fired immediatly.

Closed Thread