HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Garo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
. Importing Kim Jee-Woon (A Tale of Two Sister; I Saw the Devil) from South Korea to direct was an inspired idea,
I was so stunned in the theater when I saw his name.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
The Other Guys - Horrible, honestly don't know how anyone likes Will Ferrell. He's the worst.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Habsfan22100

Before Sunrise: 9.5/10

Fantastic movie. This is usually not my thing, but I really liked it. Hawke and Delpy put in what seems like effortless performances and watching their characters talk about their views on life among other things is great to watch. They obviously both have very good chemistry, which adds to the film's very realistic feel. I'm a sucker for great dialogue and this movie has plenty of it.

Looking forward to watching Before Sunset.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:16 PM
kihei

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Before Sunrise: 9.5/10

Fantastic movie. This is usually not my thing, but I really liked it. Hawke and Delpy put in what seems like effortless performances and watching their characters talk about their views on life among other things is great to watch. They obviously both have very good chemistry, which adds to the film's very realistic feel. I'm a sucker for great dialogue and this movie has plenty of it.

Looking forward to watching Before Sunset.
...which will set you up beautifully for Before Midnight which should be released soon.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Jevo

Gangster Squad
How did they ever convince so many big name actors to play a movie with such an abysmal script? If this isn't nominated for a Razzie for worst script we are in for some horrible movies this year, it is really that bad. The dialogue is simply some of the most cheesy and unnatural I have ever seen. Normally I am a big fan of Ryan Gosling, and would have said that I have never seen him act bad, well I can't say that anymore. It feels like he mailed it in, but on top of that he also forgot to put enough postage on the letter. The scenes that I guess where supposed to be tense fell completely flat as well. Not once did I feel like something bad was gonna happen, and when it did you could see it coming from miles away. This movie had a lot of potential, it was based on a story that could have made a great film, had a good cast, but the directing and the script was simply too bad to carry it anywhere.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:39 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Gangster Squad
How did they ever convince so many big name actors to play a movie with such an abysmal script? If this isn't nominated for a Razzie for worst script we are in for some horrible movies this year, it is really that bad. The dialogue is simply some of the most cheesy and unnatural I have ever seen. Normally I am a big fan of Ryan Gosling, and would have said that I have never seen him act bad, well I can't say that anymore. It feels like he mailed it in, but on top of that he also forgot to put enough postage on the letter. The scenes that I guess where supposed to be tense fell completely flat as well. Not once did I feel like something bad was gonna happen, and when it did you could see it coming from miles away. This movie had a lot of potential, it was based on a story that could have made a great film, had a good cast, but the directing and the script was simply too bad to carry it anywhere.
Couldn't agree more. I liked A. O. Scott's take on it in the New York Times:

Quote:
Gangster Squad would have been more fun as an animated feature, with fanciful animals in the principal roles.
Makes perfectly good sense to me: Brolin could be a stodgy bear; Gosling, a clever fox; Stone, a seductive cat; Penn, of course, a weasel, and so on. All of it played tongue in cheek, not as some stupid Untouchables wannabe. It must be some kind of secular sin to give talented actors lines that are so awful to read that Olivier couldn't deliver them convincingly on his best day.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - 6.7/10

I love this film so much.. there's nothing special about it, but as a lover of simple stories and indie music, it's a go-to for when i'm bored. Many criticize Michael Cera for playing the same character over and over again, but I personally enjoy it. He plays it well and is a good facial actor.

The soundtrack to this film may be my 2nd favorite, the first being Juno..

Old
01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
darko

Django Unchained - 9/10

Foxx was good but Leonardo, Waltz and Samuel L Jackson were all great. Close to a 3 hour movie but it didn't feel like it. Loved it.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:33 AM
TheIceman26
The Mased God

vCash: 50
From Paris with Love 8/10 a little rushed I felt but overall a solid action movie. Travolta was great in it.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - 6.7/10

I love this film so much.. there's nothing special about it, but as a lover of simple stories and indie music, it's a go-to for when i'm bored. Many criticize Michael Cera for playing the same character over and over again, but I personally enjoy it. He plays it well and is a good facial actor.

The soundtrack to this film may be my 2nd favorite, the first being Juno..
Oof...tough love?

Old
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
ales83fan

Argo - 8/10

Somewhat historically inaccurate - the part of Canadians in the process was vastly diminished (what else do you expect from a Hollywood film where everything has a patriotic spin?)

I liked it though. Interesting topic. No one really excelled as actors, but the story needed to be told as it is an interesting one.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Oof...tough love?
Not even close!! Sure its not the "greatest movie ever".. or even near the top-10000, but really, what about it is "bad"?

Its not meant to be some complex film that has you thinking for hours about "what it means".. Its a simple love story!! The cast was fantastic. Sure none of the performances were "Oscar worthy" but that doesnt make it bad.. it's a fun film with a tremendous soundtrack that takes place in quite possibly the "greatest city" of them all.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
eldiablo17

The Last Stand (2013)

The first of 3(?) South Korean directors to make their American film debuts this year is without a doubt the least inspired. I'm a big fan of Kim Jee-woon and he certainly brings a degree polish that otherwise would have been absent in the hands of the directorial fodder usually sent tasked to direct these sort of films. What it really has going for it is the sense of fun brought to the picture, helped in large part by the cast full of likeable comic actors such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Luis Guzman, and Johnny Knoxville. With this being the major strength of the film, it certainly gets bogged down when we leave them to go visit whatever is troubling Forest Whitaker, who gets far too much screentime. It has its ups and downs and while it's hard to call it a good movie, but I still had a fair amount of fun in it.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Not even close!! Sure its not the "greatest movie ever".. or even near the top-10000, but really, what about it is "bad"?

Its not meant to be some complex film that has you thinking for hours about "what it means".. Its a simple love story!! The cast was fantastic. Sure none of the performances were "Oscar worthy" but that doesnt make it bad.. it's a fun film with a tremendous soundtrack that takes place in quite possibly the "greatest city" of them all.
Haha no what I meant is that you said you loved the movie, yet you only gave it a 6.7. Seems like a harsh score for a movie you love!

Old
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
End of watch 7.5/10.
Decent movie. Not really too many slow spots. I enjoyed it but they casted some pretty bad actors for the Mexican gangsters that performed the hit. The big evil guy was alright but those chicks were laughable and annoying. All in all an entertaining movie.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Habsfan22100

Before Sunset: 9/10

While it doesn't quite hold up to Before Sunrise, still a very worthy sequel. It doesn't quite have the magic of the first one, but it still has many of the qualities that made the previous effort so great. The chemistry between Hawke and Delpy is still superb and the long shots are very impressive. The scenes from the moment they get on the boat and right until the end are absolutely incredible.

Now, the wait for Before Midnight begins.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Has anyone heard of this? It's actually playing at a small little theater by me and I am intrigued.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Stu Macher

I need to finally watch Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Not only because of Before Midnight coming out, but because I've tasked myself with writing a Top 10 Romantic Films list for my movie page for Valentines Day, and those are certainly on my to watch list for that.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:34 PM
kihei

Blackboard Jungle (1955), directed by Richard Brooks: An Army veteran who is a rookie high school teacher takes on a tough high school class of New York hoods. Watch out for those hep cats, Daddyo. It is such an artifact of the '50s, a movie that could only have been made in a particular time and place. That little written note that accompanies the opening credits which solemnly states that the movie aims to increase public awareness of juvenile delinquency seems unbelievably earnest and naive. But, that being said, the movie is still pretty damn watchable. I think one of the Academy's many great oversights was, though it was a good year for acting, not to give Glenn Ford at least a nomination for his performance. He's does a perfect job, really sells the character of his teacher in a believable way. Oddly, I've always thought it was a mixed blessing, though. Not an especially reticent actor previously in his career, he milked furrowed brows, long pauses, and mumbles the rest of his days as an actor, very often irritatingly so. A young charismatic Sidney Poitier (To Sir With Love would make an inspired double feature with Blackboard Jungle), Vic Morrow and a top notch cast of supporting actors really help the cause. It looks hokey now, but it really held my attention. And Bill Haley and the Comet's Rock around the Clock. Wow, the very birth of white rock and roll.

Last edited by kihei: 01-24-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Haha no what I meant is that you said you loved the movie, yet you only gave it a 6.7. Seems like a harsh score for a movie you love!
Oh okay, sorry! I gave it a 6.7 because I wanted to put my "personal feelings" to the side and rate it in a critical way. I find it does no good to give a movie a 9-10 unless it actually deserves it.. and taking into account this film itself, it doesn't deserve it.

I get annoyed when I see films like "The Dark Knight Rises", "Inception", and "Django Unchained" in the top-50 HIGHEST RANKED FILMS OF ALL TIME on IMDB.. Nothing against those films, but I guarantee you that 80% of those votes were because the film was the "it thing" at the time.. yet films like "Scarface" and "The General" aren't in the top-100.

I suppose it comes down to personal opinion on the quality of a film though.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

Django unchained. 8.5

Old
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
kihei

Was just killing time before a tennis match last night, and I rented the first movie that I laid a hand on, Trouble with the Curve. All I have to say is that Gangster Squad now has serious competition for the worst script of the past year. It is just way too close to call. Cringe-worthy in its Hollywood stupidity.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

End of Watch -7/10

Not gonna lie, the only thing that truly drew me to this movie was the fact that Anna Kendrick is in it (God, I have the biggest crush on her, it's pathetic ) but it was a pretty decent flick.

Could see the ending coming, but it was a pretty typical cop movie, albeit with much more drama and action and other disturbing things than comedy.

Worth a watch.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Was just killing time before a tennis match last night, and I rented the first movie that I laid a hand on, Trouble with the Curve. All I have to say is that Gangster Squad now has serious competition for the worst script of the past year. It is just way too close to call. Cringe-worthy in its Hollywood stupidity.
I haven't seeen Trouble With the Curve, but if it's true. You have to wonder why Clint Eastwood would come out of his 2nd (3rd?) acting retirement for a script like that?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:53 AM
timekeep

American Reunion, Eugene Levy was classic

Closed Thread