HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:53 AM
timekeep

vCash: 500
American Reunion, Eugene Levy was classic

Old
01-26-2013, 03:56 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Django Unchained - downright fantastic. At least 9/10 for me, maybe 9.5/10. Very well acted, great action, amazing and oftentimes hilarious soundtrack, and solid visuals.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Bert Marshall days

Zero Dark Thrty

10/10

See why in that review thread

Old
01-27-2013, 02:18 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Promised Land - A little sanctimonious at times but not enough to take you out of the film. I didn't much care for the twist near the end so that alone keeps me from really enjoying this one. It was pretty good, though. I enjoyed Matt Damon and there were lots of gorgeous shots in this. I understand why they bumped this up into Oscar territory because it should have been worth a look. But no buzz or hype or any real push doomed this from the start. Scoot McNairy has had quite a year in 2012. This, Killing Them Softly (which he was amazing in), and Argo. Not to mention the under appreciated Monsters. Looking forward to more stuff from him.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Hansel and Grettel: Witch Hunters

It's hard to rate movies like this. If the question is was I entertained and did I enjoy the movie then the answer is an emphatic yes. It's silly popcorn munching fun with a group of people who are okay with turning off the brain and enjoying the sights and sounds of ludicrosity.

If the question is, is this a good movie? Then, no, probably not. It's still retarded.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
Hansel and Grettel: Witch Hunters

It's hard to rate movies like this. If the question is was I entertained and did I enjoy the movie then the answer is an emphatic yes. It's silly popcorn munching fun with a group of people who are okay with turning off the brain and enjoying the sights and sounds of ludicrosity.

If the question is, is this a good movie? Then, no, probably not. It's still retarded.
I still disagree with how everyone seperates these two things. What good is a good movie to you if you aren't satisfied by it? I don't see any reason to rate a movie based on anything besides your level of satisfaction, personally.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:06 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
I like Dugray's approach. I don't really care about a critic's level of satisfaction as much about his honest opinion of how good or bad the work actually is. If you don't have some degree of disengagement between the level of satisfaction and the quality of the work, every guilty pleasure is a "10." I think good critics tend to be disinterested observers, not fan boys.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 1200
I saw "Unknown" today.
6.5/10
Not bad, kept me interested, but not one I need to watch again.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I still disagree with how everyone seperates these two things. What good is a good movie to you if you aren't satisfied by it? I don't see any reason to rate a movie based on anything besides your level of satisfaction, personally.
I think you can separate them.

When I think of a good popcorn movie, I think of something that is going to be fun for the 2 hours that I am watching it. If I had a fun 2 hours, I am happy with it, but I tend to forget about it 30 minutes after leaving the theater.

Now a great piece of film-making/art on the other hand is something that sticks with me for days or even weeks after watching it. Naturally I will get more satisfaction out of this type of movie since it consumes my thoughts for so long. A perfect popcorn movie will never be as satisfying as a good work of art because its ceiling is so much lower.

A recent example for me was Premium Rush. I had a blast while watching it, but I would not call it a great piece of film-making.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I think you can separate them.

When I think of a good popcorn movie, I think of something that is going to be fun for the 2 hours that I am watching it. If I had a fun 2 hours, I am happy with it, but I tend to forget about it 30 minutes after leaving the theater.

Now a great piece of film-making/art on the other hand is something that sticks with me for days or even weeks after watching it. Naturally I will get more satisfaction out of this type of movie since it consumes my thoughts for so long. A perfect popcorn movie will never be as satisfying as a good work of art because its ceiling is so much lower.

A recent example for me was Premium Rush. I had a blast while watching it, but I would not call it a great piece of film-making.
To me, that's admitting that you are far more satisfied overall by the great piece of film-making/art than you are the fun of a good popcorn movie, and I don't think it really contradicts what I'm saying.

It just feels to me like if you care more/are more satisfied by fun popcorn entertainment (which is the impression I got from his description), acknowledging that it isn't well made and begrudgingly giving it a poor rating sounds like lying to yourself in order to follow someone else's standards to me. To me, there are only agreed upon standards because the people who adhere to them believe that mastering them results in a greater experience. If you don't fully believe that yourself, then I don't see why you would have any use for them.

I personally think that level of entertainment and that level of great film-making are both factors towards the same thing-- overall satisfaction and appreciation. However you weigh them against each other is up to you, but I don't think they should be seperated like that.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-28-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I like Dugray's approach. I don't really care about a critic's level of satisfaction as much about his honest opinion of how good or bad the work actually is. If you don't have some degree of disengagement between the level of satisfaction and the quality of the work, every guilty pleasure is a "10." I think good critics tend to be disinterested observers, not fan boys.
I guess I just disagree that guilty pleasures are ever more satisfying than things that grab you because they're also good, and if they are, then it makes sense to me that you should appreciate them just as much despite lack of craft.

I don't like/care to listen to someone's disengaged and disinterested observations, personally.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-28-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Les Miserables: 8.5/10. Brilliantly acted, well shot, well sung, but also very long and with some weak links. I found Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen to be over-the-topping it some which took away from the effect of the film.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Absolutely amazing flick. If you can follow the story line its unbelievable. But i can see how people might get lost. Thankfully I didnt. And its probably top 3 of my favorite movies now.

10/10

Old
01-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Takeo

Transformers 2 was on FX the other day. I sat through about half of it. I can honestly say it's one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. The special effects are terrible. The movie is terrible in every way. 0/10

Old
01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Bruno - 7.3/10

The thing with this movie is that you need to just look past the gratuitous male nudity... after that, it's a pretty decent film. I think Borat is better, but Bruno is definitely worth a watch.

Every time I watch a film, I re-watch it with the audio commentary on... I find it interesting to hear about how they made the film, the problems they went through, and any stories from on/off set.
During the commentary of Bruno, SBC kept saying the scenes where he was either beat up/killed or arrested.... I think there were 2-3 scenes where he was almost killed for the antics, and about 4-5 where he was almost arrested. And for some reason, it made me respect SBC more for his "commitment" towards film-making.. that he'd actually go out and RISK HIS LIFE to make a silly film. Sure it's stupid of him to do that, but it's what he loves.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Killer Joe - 8/10

Well for a dark comedy, I didn't find it particularly funny. I did however find it plenty dark. I can't say it was totally humorless. Emlie Hirsch and Thomas Haden Church had some funny exchanges, and the whole stupidity of the family/situation was funny. Still these moments get dwarfed by feelings of extreme uneasiness through-out. Friedkin did a good job of creating a mood to match the grim subject matter. He is also very patient which makes the graphic scenes all the more shocking/powerful. I also can't go without mentioning Matthew McConaughey who gives one hell of a performance and really holds the movie together. Worth a watch for sure.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Killer Joe - 8/10

Well for a dark comedy, I didn't find it particularly funny. I did however find it plenty dark. I can't say it was totally humorless. Emlie Hirsch and Thomas Haden Church had some funny exchanges, and the whole stupidity of the family/situation was funny. Still these moments get dwarfed by feelings of extreme uneasiness through-out. Friedkin did a good job of creating a mood to match the grim subject matter. He is also very patient which makes the graphic scenes all the more shocking/powerful. I also can't go without mentioning Matthew McConaughey who gives one hell of a performance and really holds the movie together. Worth a watch for sure.

I love Killer Joe. It's among my very favorite movies this year, especially in it's willingness to not just accept the pulp that it is, but revel in it. Yes, McConaughey is really, really great here. I would have liked to see him get a nod for best supporting actor, either for this or Magic Mike. I personally would have put Juno Temple in as a nominee for supporting actress as well.

At the very least, that ending scene will certainly stick with you...

Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 460
Killer Elite 2011 - w/ Statham, Clive Owen and Robert De Niro.

Just randomly watched this movie on one of my movie channels this afternoon.

A great thriller/action movie. Clive plays a retired SAS agent who is tracking down three mercaneries who are hired (by a rich Sheikh) to take out former SAS operatives who killed a Sheikh's sons during an operation in Oman.

Went in expecting nothing but an over blown action movie but was pleasantly suprised with a decent plot, acting and some sweet action scenes.

8/10

Old
01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I love Killer Joe. It's among my very favorite movies this year, especially in it's willingness to not just accept the pulp that it is, but revel in it. Yes, McConaughey is really, really great here. I would have liked to see him get a nod for best supporting actor, either for this or Magic Mike. I personally would have put Juno Temple in as a nominee for supporting actress as well.

Nice to hear some good things about Killer Joe. It is next to be rented on Xbox live

Old
01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

The Giant Mechanical Man: 7/10

These indie, coming of age, finding yourself in the world movies really speak to me, and I have such a soft-spot for them. Jenna Fischer and Chris Messina really worked well on screen together in their quite unique dialogues and interactions.

A really good one if you're into movies like that.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
kihei

vCash: 0

Krivina (2013), directed by Igor Drljica: Miro is a Bosnian immigrant to Toronto, and he is still feeling unsettled in his new land. When Dido, an old friend and possibly a war criminal, goes missing, Miro goes back to Bosnia to try to find him. But Dido is difficult to pin down, even his mother hasn’t seen him since before the war. As Miro searches the pretty Bosnian countryside, he learns of a tragic bus accident; it has nothing to do with his friend, but it colours his experience, another kind of loss to contend with and there have been so many. In a way I find hard to put my finger on, Krivina seems to be obliquely about immigrant experience, about people out of sync, either because they are not comfortable where they are or because so much remains unresolved and uncertain concerning where they have been. It's not a movie about how the past defines people so much as it is a movie about people still struggling in a twilight area between their past and someplace else yet to be determined. All of this is presented elliptically; there is very little concrete ground to stand on in this movie. Atmosphere is everything, and the first-time director encourages the audience to fill in the many blanks that he provides on his strangely compelling canvas. The movie might just be too vague for many tastes, and at 67 minutes it may be the shortest movie since the '20s. But, even conceding its flaws, it is a very accomplished piece of film making. Krivina is one of those movies that sort of inhabit you.

subtitles

Old
01-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Stu Macher

I can't think of the last time I saw a movie that was as wonderfully moving as Make Way For Tomorrow, a gem from the 30's that I just watched for the first time. I just loved it.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post

I haven't seen Magic Mike yet but I really liked his work in Bernie. Some great performances he has put in lately.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Bernie 9/10 fantastic performances by jack black and Matthew mcconaughey. Dark comedy about a guy who is beloved in his community that kills a miserable old lady who drove him insane. Linklater does a fantastic job portraying the case as well. Just a great movie all around.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

silver linings playbook 8/10
Les misérables 6/10

Closed Thread