HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
  #701
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm
 
Iron Throne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twilight zone
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Mama 6/10

It started off well and ended badly. In the middle there was some supense and some nice scenes that gave it some depth. Some other very choppy scenes that ended abruptly leaving you expecting more. Don't expect blood and gore you'll be very disappointed. I liked Jessica Chastain(oh so beautiful) the kingslayer Nikolaj coster-Waldau and the two kids but there was not enough story for them. It had some moments but wait to rent.


Last edited by Iron Throne: 01-30-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Iron Throne is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 03:36 AM
  #702
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 500
Sleepwalk with Me - 9/10

You could call this a minor work. It certainly isn't groundbreaking or anything but I still loved it. It tells the story of a wannabe comedian in a relationship that is heading nowhere. He feels so suffocated by it all that he would rather travel the country and play empty venues for peanuts rather than to deal with it. To top it all off, he suffers from a sleep disorder that is quite frankly dangerous to his health.

It initally felt like it was going to be a comedy for hipsters (I don't think i'm one, but who knows). Once it opened itself up though, I found it to be pretty funny. What suprised me is how insightful and caring it was. Mike Birbiglia (who also directs) and Lauren Ambrose play the couple and they both do a great job. I don't want to give anything away, so all I will say is it felt very real. At only about 80 minutes, I would recommend it for sure.



Frankenweenie - 3/10

I just couldn't get into the style of this movie at all. Black and white animation is hard to pull off. I like my animated movies to be colorful and magical. This movie just was not fun to look at (I do wonder if it would have been different in 3D). I also found the characters and story to be forgetable. Everything felt dull. I hope I enjoy Wreck-It Ralph because this has been a bad year for animated pictures. At this point, I hope Pirates wins the oscar.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 05:29 AM
  #703
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 0
Gangster Squad- 8.5/10

Sean Penn, widely considered one of the worst actors of our generation, completely redeems himself with his over-the-top portrayal of real-life gangster Mickey Cohen. He looks nothing like him, and probably doesn't act like him either, yet he still manages to steal the show with his fantastic performance. The movie itself is action-packed and highly stylized with beautiful cinematography. The dialogue and story itself are at times thin; it's no Road to Perdition; but it's an entertaining shoot-em-up classic nonetheless.

GetThePuckOut is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
  #704
Howard Beale
Registered User
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Gangster Squad- 8.5/10

Sean Penn, widely considered one of the worst actors of our generation, completely redeems himself with his over-the-top portrayal of real-life gangster Mickey Cohen. He looks nothing like him, and probably doesn't act like him either, yet he still manages to steal the show with his fantastic performance. The movie itself is action-packed and highly stylized with beautiful cinematography. The dialogue and story itself are at times thin; it's no Road to Perdition; but it's an entertaining shoot-em-up classic nonetheless.
Since when?

His 5 Oscar nominations (2 wins) suggest otherwise, and I've literally never heard him described as being a bad actor before.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000576/awards

Howard Beale is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
  #705
Habsfan22100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Since when?

His 5 Oscar nominations (2 wins) suggest otherwise, and I've literally never heard him described as being a bad actor before.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000576/awards
Haha, that threw me off as well

Habsfan22100 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
  #706
Gobias Industries
Registered User
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Gangster Squad- 8.5/10

Sean Penn, widely considered one of the worst actors of our generation, completely redeems himself with his over-the-top portrayal of real-life gangster Mickey Cohen. He looks nothing like him, and probably doesn't act like him either, yet he still manages to steal the show with his fantastic performance. The movie itself is action-packed and highly stylized with beautiful cinematography. The dialogue and story itself are at times thin; it's no Road to Perdition; but it's an entertaining shoot-em-up classic nonetheless.


"You know nothing of my work"...

Oh and I just saw the movie too, 7.5/10...

My god Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling are two handsome, likeable actors...but yeah, Penn is perfect, just like almost any movie he's been in, even as "one of the worst actors of our generation" ...


Last edited by Gobias Industries: 01-30-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
  #707
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,052
vCash: 500
Yeah **** that Sean Penn guy. He wouldn't be such a nobody if he didn't keep avoiding modern-day classics like Gangster Squad.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 AM
  #708
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,880
vCash: 500
Paperman Animated Short - 2.5/5
Kind of cheesy, but probably the best thing in animation this year after the disappointing Brave, regardless.



2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Zero Dark Thirty - 3.5
7. Killing Them Softly - 3
8. Life of Pi - 3
9. The Dark Knight Returns Animated Part 1 & 2 - 3
10. Paperman - 2.5


Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-31-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Shareefruck is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
  #709
eldiablo17
Registered User
 
eldiablo17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Gangster Squad (2013)

You know... it wasn't nearly as awful as I thought it was going to be. OK, everything about the film is incredibly mediocre such as the dialogue, plot points, uninteresting characters, and poor action sequences. Yet, sometimes we need to look on the bright side, the movie made sense, that's a bonus. I like all the actors which allowed me to put up with their characters instead of wanting to bang my head on the seat in front of me. Going in I was really afraid since the trailer reminded me a lot of "The Untouchables", a movie I absolutely hate, but it turned out to be much better than that. Without a doubt not a good film but just surprisingly not abysmal.

eldiablo17 is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  #710
SB164
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Killer Joe - 8/10

I also can't go without mentioning Matthew McConaughey who gives one hell of a performance and really holds the movie together. Worth a watch for sure.
When Matthew McConaughey is at his best, he makes it look almost effortless. I should've gone to see Killer Joe, it was screened at my university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
The Giant Mechanical Man: 7/10

These indie, coming of age, finding yourself in the world movies really speak to me, and I have such a soft-spot for them. Jenna Fischer and Chris Messina really worked well on screen together in their quite unique dialogues and interactions.

A really good one if you're into movies like that.
Speaking of indie, coming of age tales, check out It's Kind of a Funny Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Before Sunrise: 9.5/10

Looking forward to watching Before Sunset.
I almost envy you for being able to watch these films for the first time. Let us know your thoughts on Before Sunset

SB164 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
  #711
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Paperman Animated Short - 2.5/5
Kind of cheesy, but probably the best thing in animation this year after the disappointing Brave, regardless.



2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Zero Dark Thirty - 3.5
7. Killing Them Softly - 3
8. Life of Pi - 3
9. The Dark Knight Returns Animated Part 1 & 2 - 310. Paperman - 2.5
A comic book movie in your top 10. Wow! Good for you, man! LOL

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
  #712
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Paperman Animated Short - 2.5/5
Kind of cheesy, but probably the best thing in animation this year after the disappointing Brave, regardless.

That was an awesome little story. Thanks for sharing!

silverfish is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:27 PM
  #713
Habsfan22100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I almost envy you for being able to watch these films for the first time. Let us know your thoughts on Before Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Before Sunset: 9/10

While it doesn't quite hold up to Before Sunrise, still a very worthy sequel. It doesn't quite have the magic of the first one, but it still has many of the qualities that made the previous effort so great. The chemistry between Hawke and Delpy is still superb and the long shots are very impressive. The scenes from the moment they get on the boat and right until the end are absolutely incredible.

Now, the wait for Before Midnight begins.
Posted a bit further down after my Before Sunrise post

I seriously can't wait until Before Midnight. Though I guess most people have had to wait much longer than I will

Habsfan22100 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
  #714
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
A comic book movie in your top 10. Wow! Good for you, man! LOL
Have you seen it? I think it's alot better than the other Batman movies. And I love the comic (which watching this made me go out and buy).

The only thing about it that was a little annoying was the luck he had with guns/bullet dodging.

Also, I think The Incredibles was in my top 10 the year it came out too.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-31-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Shareefruck is online now  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
  #715
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Have you seen it? I think it's alot better than the other Batman movies. And I love the comic (which watching this made me go out and buy).

The only thing about it that was a little annoying was the luck he had with guns/bullet dodging.

Also, I think The Incredibles was in my top 10 the year it came out too.
Watched Part 1...will probably get to Part 2 tonight or tomorrow. I really enjoyed it. Easily dethroned Mask of the Phantasm as the best animated Bats film. IMO, of course.

I was okay with the bullets, but Peter Weller's voice work took some getting used to for me.

And LOL about the Incredibles. Well played

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
  #716
SB164
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Before Sunset: 9/10

While it doesn't quite hold up to Before Sunrise, still a very worthy sequel. It doesn't quite have the magic of the first one, but it still has many of the qualities that made the previous effort so great. The chemistry between Hawke and Delpy is still superb and the long shots are very impressive. The scenes from the moment they get on the boat and right until the end are absolutely incredible.

Now, the wait for Before Midnight begins.
We may be in agreement here, but for different reasons. Sure, Before Sunset may not hold the same sense of magic, but I think that was the whole point. Celine and Jesse are no longer young, idealistic lovers. They have grown up, leading messy and tumultuous grown up lives. What is great about this film is the initial awkwardness, which is not unlike their chance encounter in Before Sunrise. But this time, the awkwardness stems not from mutual attraction between strangers, but a shared history (between relative strangers).

They've already made love once before under the stars, they've already told each other their secrets. It's the morning after, but 10 years later.

SB164 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
  #717
Habsfan22100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
We may be in agreement here, but for different reasons. Sure, Before Sunset may not hold the same sense of magic, but I think that was the whole point. Celine and Jesse are no longer young, idealistic lovers. They have grown up, leading messy and tumultuous grown up lives. What is great about this film is the initial awkwardness, which is not unlike their chance encounter in Before Sunrise. But this time, the awkwardness stems not from mutual attraction between strangers, but a shared history (between relative strangers).

They've already made love once before under the stars, they've already told each other their secrets. It's the morning after, but 10 years later.
Oh I certainly agree that it makes sense within the story. I wasn't necessarily faulting Sunset, it's just that the magic of Sunrise is what puts it a notch higher for me personally.

Habsfan22100 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
  #718
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I never understood the line "You mean my whole fallacy is wrong," and I feel stupid for not getting it. Is McLuhan being ironic?

Norm MacDonald is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
  #719
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Watched Part 1...will probably get to Part 2 tonight or tomorrow. I really enjoyed it. Easily dethroned Mask of the Phantasm as the best animated Bats film. IMO, of course.

I was okay with the bullets, but Peter Weller's voice work took some getting used to for me.

And LOL about the Incredibles. Well played
I don't remember for sure, but the bullet stuff might have been more noticeable in part 2.

Shareefruck is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
  #720
Thunderhead
Registered User
 
Thunderhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,320
vCash: 500
The Grey
Quote:
Wolf 1: Holy crap, what the hell was that!

Wolf 2: Something fell from the sky with explosions and fire and all sorts of scary nastiness that none of us have ever seen before.

Wolf 1: Letís go investigate.

Wolf 2: Are you crazy? That goes completely against our natural instinct, developed over many generations in the wild.

Wolf 1: Come on you big baby, itíll be fun!

Wolf 2: Hey there are things moving around over there. Maybe they are food.

Wolf 1: I donít know about food, but they are trespassing on our territory. Letís go pee on them.

Wolf 1: Hmmm, they donít seem to be getting the message. Letís kill one of them and send a stronger message that this is our frozen lake and not theirs.

Wolf 2: Mmmm, this guy tastes just like chicken!

Wolf 1: Leave him!

Wolf 2: But Iím hungry. If you havenít noticed there isnít exactly a lot to eat around here.

Wolf 1: If we leave him uneaten, weíll really freak them out by behaving in a fashion that is inconsistent with normal wolf behavior.

Wolf 2: Hey look, theyíre running away. You were right! What a bunch of freakiní idiots.

Wolf 1: Itís like shooting fish in a barrel.

Wolf 2: Whatís a barrel?

Wolf 1: Never mind that. Theyíve stopped and now theyíre sitting around a campfire. Letís attack them.

Wolf 2: I ainít attacking them. You attack them.

Wolf 1: I ainít attacking them neither.

Wolf 2: Hey, letís send Mikey, heíll attack anything.

Wolf 1: Uh, hmmmm Ö that didnít work out very well.

Wolf 2: Poor Mikey.

Wolf 2: Hey look, theyíre on the move again. Theyíre heading for that ravine.

Wolf 1: Instruct Ralph and Albert to go around to the other side in case they decide to construct a makeshift rope out of spare clothing and jump across.

Wolf 2: Are you crazy? The tensile strength of common clothing is not possibly strong enough to support the weight of a man, not to mention any sort of knot they might be able to tie. That has to be the dumbest ÖÖ.. Geez, will ya look at that ....

Wolf 1: You were saying, smart guy? Now send Ralph and Albert to the other side.

Wolf 2: How do you expect them to get over there in time? Teleport them?

Wolf 1: The teleporter has been fixed?

Wolf 2: Bad news, Ralph and Albert got one of them, but they let the other three go for some inexplicable reason. Theyíre heading right for our den.

Wolf 1: Why on earth did Ralph and Albert let them get down from the tree?

Wolf 2: Ralph said that one of the men jumped out of the tree and scared them away.

Wolf 1: Are you freakiní kidding me?

Wolf 2: Thatís what he told me. You know, we really need to work on some consistent guidelines on how we are supposed to behave.

Wolf 1: So noted. We'll discuss it at the next den meeting. Now letís go get those guys!

Wolf 2: (laughing) What a bunch of maroons. They fell in the water.

Wolf 1: Ok, thereís just one left. Heís mine Ö. Iím gonna rip off his head and Ö hey, what?! Ö WHO TURNED OFF THE FREAKINí LIGHTS!?

The End.


post credits
Wolf 1: (looking out at the audience) Are you still here? The movie's over. Go home. .... Liam and I are going to snuggle.

Thunderhead is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
  #721
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I never understood the line "You mean my whole fallacy is wrong," and I feel stupid for not getting it. Is McLuhan being ironic?
I did a bit a research, I think it's just Woody Allen being subversively silly. He likes to mock his audience's snobbery sometimes.

edit: did some more research, it was actually McLuhan being ironic, not Woody, as Marshall McLuhan wrote the line himself. http://www.mediatropes.com/index.php...view/1771/1482 This was a really good read. God I love this stuff... Post-modernism isn't useless.


Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 02-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.
WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
  #722
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,551
vCash: 500
Middle Men: 7.5/10
Was pretty good. Took my a while to get used to Luke Wilson, but he did a good job. Very entertaining.

Cop Land: 5.5/10
My lord is Stallone a terrible actor lol. Ray Liota was kind of annoying as well as is Harvey Keitel. De Niro is always awesome. Very dated movie.

12 Monkeys: 9/10
I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi. I kind of expected the ending, but at the same time I didn't...not sure if that makes sense.

Layer Cake: 9.5/10
So good. Daniel Craig is pretty awesome in this one. Loved it.

Lucky Number Slevin: 10/10
Loved it. I was so entertained the whole time. Clever Movie

Inside Man: 7.5/10
It was not bad. Denzel gets on my nerves sometimes though.

Get the Gringo: 8.5/10
Very entertaining movie. Love these type of action flicks.

Snatch: 10/10
See below.

Lock, Stock & two smoking Barrels: 10/10
I love the humor, I love how multiple stories going on at once get intertwined. Although they are kind of the same movie (Snatch) I enjoyed both.

In Bruges: 8.5/10
A little slow and at times a little dark. Hilarious though. Well written movie.

Perrier's Bounty: 7/10
It was okay.

Suicide Kings: 9/10
A little dated, didn't like all the actors chosen, some were annoying. Leary is hilarious and hard not to love Walken.

The Fifth Element: 5/10
This has to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. It's just silly (though I guess it's supposed to be) and Chris Tucker is just irritating.

Andy is online now  
Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
  #723
Howard Beale
Registered User
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The Fifth Element: 5/10
This has to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. It's just silly (though I guess it's supposed to be) and Chris Tucker is just irritating.
I'm right there with you, to the word. I can't think of any movie character who singlehandedly worsened a movie as much for me, as Chris Tucker did here.

Howard Beale is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 12:46 AM
  #724
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I did a bit a research, I think it's just Woody Allen being subversively silly. He likes to mock his audience's snobbery sometimes.

edit: did some more research, it was actually McLuhan being ironic, not Woody, as Marshall McLuhan wrote the line himself. http://www.mediatropes.com/index.php...view/1771/1482 This was a really good read. God I love this stuff... Post-modernism isn't useless.
Wow thanks... that was interesting. I guess the joke's on me for obsessing on the meaning.

Norm MacDonald is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
  #725
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,379
vCash: 500
Phase 7.

Pretty entertaining movie, although the concept is a little overdone (quarantined in an apartment building, people becoming dangerous.) Wasn't an English movie btw, so if you watch prepare to read subtitles. Two leading actors were pretty good, but the rest were only average which is why I only give it a 7.5/10. Surprised by the low rating on IMDB.

Izzy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.