HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

vCash: 500
Mama 6/10

It started off well and ended badly. In the middle there was some supense and some nice scenes that gave it some depth. Some other very choppy scenes that ended abruptly leaving you expecting more. Don't expect blood and gore you'll be very disappointed. I liked Jessica Chastain(oh so beautiful) the kingslayer Nikolaj coster-Waldau and the two kids but there was not enough story for them. It had some moments but wait to rent.

Last edited by Iron Throne: 01-30-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Sleepwalk with Me - 9/10

You could call this a minor work. It certainly isn't groundbreaking or anything but I still loved it. It tells the story of a wannabe comedian in a relationship that is heading nowhere. He feels so suffocated by it all that he would rather travel the country and play empty venues for peanuts rather than to deal with it. To top it all off, he suffers from a sleep disorder that is quite frankly dangerous to his health.

It initally felt like it was going to be a comedy for hipsters (I don't think i'm one, but who knows). Once it opened itself up though, I found it to be pretty funny. What suprised me is how insightful and caring it was. Mike Birbiglia (who also directs) and Lauren Ambrose play the couple and they both do a great job. I don't want to give anything away, so all I will say is it felt very real. At only about 80 minutes, I would recommend it for sure.

Frankenweenie - 3/10

I just couldn't get into the style of this movie at all. Black and white animation is hard to pull off. I like my animated movies to be colorful and magical. This movie just was not fun to look at (I do wonder if it would have been different in 3D). I also found the characters and story to be forgetable. Everything felt dull. I hope I enjoy Wreck-It Ralph because this has been a bad year for animated pictures. At this point, I hope Pirates wins the oscar.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:29 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 0
Gangster Squad- 8.5/10

Sean Penn, widely considered one of the worst actors of our generation, completely redeems himself with his over-the-top portrayal of real-life gangster Mickey Cohen. He looks nothing like him, and probably doesn't act like him either, yet he still manages to steal the show with his fantastic performance. The movie itself is action-packed and highly stylized with beautiful cinematography. The dialogue and story itself are at times thin; it's no Road to Perdition; but it's an entertaining shoot-em-up classic nonetheless.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Gangster Squad- 8.5/10

Sean Penn, widely considered one of the worst actors of our generation, completely redeems himself with his over-the-top portrayal of real-life gangster Mickey Cohen. He looks nothing like him, and probably doesn't act like him either, yet he still manages to steal the show with his fantastic performance. The movie itself is action-packed and highly stylized with beautiful cinematography. The dialogue and story itself are at times thin; it's no Road to Perdition; but it's an entertaining shoot-em-up classic nonetheless.
Since when?

His 5 Oscar nominations (2 wins) suggest otherwise, and I've literally never heard him described as being a bad actor before.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000576/awards

Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Since when?

His 5 Oscar nominations (2 wins) suggest otherwise, and I've literally never heard him described as being a bad actor before.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000576/awards
Haha, that threw me off as well

Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Gangster Squad- 8.5/10

"You know nothing of my work"...

Oh and I just saw the movie too, 7.5/10...

My god Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling are two handsome, likeable actors...but yeah, Penn is perfect, just like almost any movie he's been in, even as "one of the worst actors of our generation" ...

Last edited by Gobias Industries: 01-30-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Yeah **** that Sean Penn guy. He wouldn't be such a nobody if he didn't keep avoiding modern-day classics like Gangster Squad.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Shareefruck

Paperman Animated Short - 2.5/5
Kind of cheesy, but probably the best thing in animation this year after the disappointing Brave, regardless.

2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Zero Dark Thirty - 3.5
7. Killing Them Softly - 3
8. Life of Pi - 3
9. The Dark Knight Returns Animated Part 1 & 2 - 3
10. Paperman - 2.5

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-31-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
eldiablo17

Gangster Squad (2013)

You know... it wasn't nearly as awful as I thought it was going to be. OK, everything about the film is incredibly mediocre such as the dialogue, plot points, uninteresting characters, and poor action sequences. Yet, sometimes we need to look on the bright side, the movie made sense, that's a bonus. I like all the actors which allowed me to put up with their characters instead of wanting to bang my head on the seat in front of me. Going in I was really afraid since the trailer reminded me a lot of "The Untouchables", a movie I absolutely hate, but it turned out to be much better than that. Without a doubt not a good film but just surprisingly not abysmal.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Killer Joe - 8/10

I also can't go without mentioning Matthew McConaughey who gives one hell of a performance and really holds the movie together. Worth a watch for sure.
When Matthew McConaughey is at his best, he makes it look almost effortless. I should've gone to see Killer Joe, it was screened at my university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
The Giant Mechanical Man: 7/10

These indie, coming of age, finding yourself in the world movies really speak to me, and I have such a soft-spot for them. Jenna Fischer and Chris Messina really worked well on screen together in their quite unique dialogues and interactions.

A really good one if you're into movies like that.
Speaking of indie, coming of age tales, check out It's Kind of a Funny Story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan22100 View Post
Before Sunrise: 9.5/10

Looking forward to watching Before Sunset.
I almost envy you for being able to watch these films for the first time. Let us know your thoughts on Before Sunset

Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Kind of cheesy, but probably the best thing in animation this year after the disappointing Brave, regardless.

2012:
1. Amour - 4.5
2. This is Not a Film - 4.5
3. A Simple Life - 4.5
4. Oslo, August 31 - 4
5. Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 4
6. Zero Dark Thirty - 3.5
7. Killing Them Softly - 3
8. Life of Pi - 3
9. The Dark Knight Returns Animated Part 1 & 2 - 310. Paperman - 2.5
A comic book movie in your top 10. Wow! Good for you, man! LOL

Old
01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:

That was an awesome little story. Thanks for sharing!

Old
01-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I almost envy you for being able to watch these films for the first time. Let us know your thoughts on Before Sunset
Quote:
Before Sunset: 9/10

While it doesn't quite hold up to Before Sunrise, still a very worthy sequel. It doesn't quite have the magic of the first one, but it still has many of the qualities that made the previous effort so great. The chemistry between Hawke and Delpy is still superb and the long shots are very impressive. The scenes from the moment they get on the boat and right until the end are absolutely incredible.

Now, the wait for Before Midnight begins.
Posted a bit further down after my Before Sunrise post

I seriously can't wait until Before Midnight. Though I guess most people have had to wait much longer than I will

Old
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
A comic book movie in your top 10. Wow! Good for you, man! LOL
Have you seen it? I think it's alot better than the other Batman movies. And I love the comic (which watching this made me go out and buy).

The only thing about it that was a little annoying was the luck he had with guns/bullet dodging.

Also, I think The Incredibles was in my top 10 the year it came out too.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-31-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Have you seen it? I think it's alot better than the other Batman movies. And I love the comic (which watching this made me go out and buy).

The only thing about it that was a little annoying was the luck he had with guns/bullet dodging.

Also, I think The Incredibles was in my top 10 the year it came out too.
Watched Part 1...will probably get to Part 2 tonight or tomorrow. I really enjoyed it. Easily dethroned Mask of the Phantasm as the best animated Bats film. IMO, of course.

I was okay with the bullets, but Peter Weller's voice work took some getting used to for me.

And LOL about the Incredibles. Well played

Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
SB164

Quote:
Before Sunset: 9/10

While it doesn't quite hold up to Before Sunrise, still a very worthy sequel. It doesn't quite have the magic of the first one, but it still has many of the qualities that made the previous effort so great. The chemistry between Hawke and Delpy is still superb and the long shots are very impressive. The scenes from the moment they get on the boat and right until the end are absolutely incredible.

Now, the wait for Before Midnight begins.
We may be in agreement here, but for different reasons. Sure, Before Sunset may not hold the same sense of magic, but I think that was the whole point. Celine and Jesse are no longer young, idealistic lovers. They have grown up, leading messy and tumultuous grown up lives. What is great about this film is the initial awkwardness, which is not unlike their chance encounter in Before Sunrise. But this time, the awkwardness stems not from mutual attraction between strangers, but a shared history (between relative strangers).

They've already made love once before under the stars, they've already told each other their secrets. It's the morning after, but 10 years later.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
We may be in agreement here, but for different reasons. Sure, Before Sunset may not hold the same sense of magic, but I think that was the whole point. Celine and Jesse are no longer young, idealistic lovers. They have grown up, leading messy and tumultuous grown up lives. What is great about this film is the initial awkwardness, which is not unlike their chance encounter in Before Sunrise. But this time, the awkwardness stems not from mutual attraction between strangers, but a shared history (between relative strangers).

They've already made love once before under the stars, they've already told each other their secrets. It's the morning after, but 10 years later.
Oh I certainly agree that it makes sense within the story. I wasn't necessarily faulting Sunset, it's just that the magic of Sunrise is what puts it a notch higher for me personally.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I never understood the line "You mean my whole fallacy is wrong," and I feel stupid for not getting it. Is McLuhan being ironic?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Watched Part 1...will probably get to Part 2 tonight or tomorrow. I really enjoyed it. Easily dethroned Mask of the Phantasm as the best animated Bats film. IMO, of course.

I was okay with the bullets, but Peter Weller's voice work took some getting used to for me.

And LOL about the Incredibles. Well played
I don't remember for sure, but the bullet stuff might have been more noticeable in part 2.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Thunderhead

The Grey
Quote:
Wolf 1: Holy crap, what the hell was that!

Wolf 2: Something fell from the sky with explosions and fire and all sorts of scary nastiness that none of us have ever seen before.

Wolf 1: Letís go investigate.

Wolf 2: Are you crazy? That goes completely against our natural instinct, developed over many generations in the wild.

Wolf 1: Come on you big baby, itíll be fun!

Wolf 2: Hey there are things moving around over there. Maybe they are food.

Wolf 1: I donít know about food, but they are trespassing on our territory. Letís go pee on them.

Wolf 1: Hmmm, they donít seem to be getting the message. Letís kill one of them and send a stronger message that this is our frozen lake and not theirs.

Wolf 2: Mmmm, this guy tastes just like chicken!

Wolf 1: Leave him!

Wolf 2: But Iím hungry. If you havenít noticed there isnít exactly a lot to eat around here.

Wolf 1: If we leave him uneaten, weíll really freak them out by behaving in a fashion that is inconsistent with normal wolf behavior.

Wolf 2: Hey look, theyíre running away. You were right! What a bunch of freakiní idiots.

Wolf 1: Itís like shooting fish in a barrel.

Wolf 2: Whatís a barrel?

Wolf 1: Never mind that. Theyíve stopped and now theyíre sitting around a campfire. Letís attack them.

Wolf 2: I ainít attacking them. You attack them.

Wolf 1: I ainít attacking them neither.

Wolf 2: Hey, letís send Mikey, heíll attack anything.

Wolf 1: Uh, hmmmm Ö that didnít work out very well.

Wolf 2: Poor Mikey.

Wolf 2: Hey look, theyíre on the move again. Theyíre heading for that ravine.

Wolf 1: Instruct Ralph and Albert to go around to the other side in case they decide to construct a makeshift rope out of spare clothing and jump across.

Wolf 2: Are you crazy? The tensile strength of common clothing is not possibly strong enough to support the weight of a man, not to mention any sort of knot they might be able to tie. That has to be the dumbest ÖÖ.. Geez, will ya look at that ....

Wolf 1: You were saying, smart guy? Now send Ralph and Albert to the other side.

Wolf 2: How do you expect them to get over there in time? Teleport them?

Wolf 1: The teleporter has been fixed?

Wolf 2: Bad news, Ralph and Albert got one of them, but they let the other three go for some inexplicable reason. Theyíre heading right for our den.

Wolf 1: Why on earth did Ralph and Albert let them get down from the tree?

Wolf 2: Ralph said that one of the men jumped out of the tree and scared them away.

Wolf 1: Are you freakiní kidding me?

Wolf 2: Thatís what he told me. You know, we really need to work on some consistent guidelines on how we are supposed to behave.

Wolf 1: So noted. We'll discuss it at the next den meeting. Now letís go get those guys!

Wolf 2: (laughing) What a bunch of maroons. They fell in the water.

Wolf 1: Ok, thereís just one left. Heís mine Ö. Iím gonna rip off his head and Ö hey, what?! Ö WHO TURNED OFF THE FREAKINí LIGHTS!?

The End.

post credits
Wolf 1: (looking out at the audience) Are you still here? The movie's over. Go home. .... Liam and I are going to snuggle.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
I never understood the line "You mean my whole fallacy is wrong," and I feel stupid for not getting it. Is McLuhan being ironic?
I did a bit a research, I think it's just Woody Allen being subversively silly. He likes to mock his audience's snobbery sometimes.

edit: did some more research, it was actually McLuhan being ironic, not Woody, as Marshall McLuhan wrote the line himself. http://www.mediatropes.com/index.php...view/1771/1482 This was a really good read. God I love this stuff... Post-modernism isn't useless.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 02-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Andy

Middle Men: 7.5/10
Was pretty good. Took my a while to get used to Luke Wilson, but he did a good job. Very entertaining.

Cop Land: 5.5/10
My lord is Stallone a terrible actor lol. Ray Liota was kind of annoying as well as is Harvey Keitel. De Niro is always awesome. Very dated movie.

12 Monkeys: 9/10
I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi. I kind of expected the ending, but at the same time I didn't...not sure if that makes sense.

Layer Cake: 9.5/10
So good. Daniel Craig is pretty awesome in this one. Loved it.

Lucky Number Slevin: 10/10
Loved it. I was so entertained the whole time. Clever Movie

Inside Man: 7.5/10
It was not bad. Denzel gets on my nerves sometimes though.

Get the Gringo: 8.5/10
Very entertaining movie. Love these type of action flicks.

Snatch: 10/10
See below.

Lock, Stock & two smoking Barrels: 10/10
I love the humor, I love how multiple stories going on at once get intertwined. Although they are kind of the same movie (Snatch) I enjoyed both.

In Bruges: 8.5/10
A little slow and at times a little dark. Hilarious though. Well written movie.

Perrier's Bounty: 7/10
It was okay.

Suicide Kings: 9/10
A little dated, didn't like all the actors chosen, some were annoying. Leary is hilarious and hard not to love Walken.

The Fifth Element: 5/10
This has to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. It's just silly (though I guess it's supposed to be) and Chris Tucker is just irritating.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The Fifth Element: 5/10
This has to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. It's just silly (though I guess it's supposed to be) and Chris Tucker is just irritating.
I'm right there with you, to the word. I can't think of any movie character who singlehandedly worsened a movie as much for me, as Chris Tucker did here.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I did a bit a research, I think it's just Woody Allen being subversively silly. He likes to mock his audience's snobbery sometimes.

edit: did some more research, it was actually McLuhan being ironic, not Woody, as Marshall McLuhan wrote the line himself. http://www.mediatropes.com/index.php...view/1771/1482 This was a really good read. God I love this stuff... Post-modernism isn't useless.
Wow thanks... that was interesting. I guess the joke's on me for obsessing on the meaning.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Phase 7.

Pretty entertaining movie, although the concept is a little overdone (quarantined in an apartment building, people becoming dangerous.) Wasn't an English movie btw, so if you watch prepare to read subtitles. Two leading actors were pretty good, but the rest were only average which is why I only give it a 7.5/10. Surprised by the low rating on IMDB.

Closed Thread