HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Wow thanks... that was interesting. I guess the joke's on me for obsessing on the meaning.
That's the joke!

Old
02-02-2013, 03:42 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Since when?

His 5 Oscar nominations (2 wins) suggest otherwise, and I've literally never heard him described as being a bad actor before.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000576/awards
Widely considered by me, anyway.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
kihei

vCash: 5801

West of Memphis (2012), directed by Amy Berg: Three teenagers are convicted of the ritual Satanic murders of three eight-year-old boys. It doesn't take very long for the conviction to come under serious fire. The prosecution misrepresented evidence, forensic evidence was completely botched by an incompetent physician who couldn't tell the difference between a knife mark and a turtle bite, and huge pieces of the case melted away under even cursory scrutiny. Not only does this documentary prove the teenage boys didn't do it, it points a very convincing finger at the man who almost certainly did do it, a violent step father of one of the boys who was, amazingly, never a person of interest in the initial investigation. The judicial system of Arkansas looks like it just stepped out of the dark ages, with none of the principle officials ever willing to admit that they or the State could be wrong, even when confronted with forensic evidence that is incontrovertible. When someone comes up with a ruse that would make a Banana Republic blush to allow the Arkansas criminal and judicial systems to safe face, the State continues to stall. Though it could use a bit of editing here and there, West of Memphis is a thoroughly engrossing documentary.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:11 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Stake land on Netflix

wow loved it. one of the best horror flicks I've seen in awhile. great acting and filming

Old
02-03-2013, 02:49 AM
timekeep

Silver Linings Playbook, not a fan of it

Old
02-03-2013, 03:25 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

West of Memphis (2012), directed by Amy Berg: Three teenagers are convicted of the ritual Satanic murders of three eight-year-old boys. It doesn't take very long for the conviction to come under serious fire. The prosecution misrepresented evidence, forensic evidence was completely botched by an incompetent physician who couldn't tell the difference between a knife mark and a turtle bite, and huge pieces of the case melted away under even cursory scrutiny. Not only does this documentary prove the teenage boys didn't do it, it points a very convincing finger at the man who almost certainly did do it, a violent step father of one of the boys who was, amazingly, never a person of interest in the initial investigation. The judicial system of Arkansas looks like it just stepped out of the dark ages, with none of the principle officials ever willing to admit that they or the State could be wrong, even when confronted with forensic evidence that is incontrovertible. When someone comes up with a ruse that would make a Banana Republic blush to allow the Arkansas criminal and judicial systems to safe face, the State continues to stall. Though it could use a bit of editing here and there, West of Memphis is a thoroughly engrossing documentary.
I'm a little surprised another documentary was made about these guys.

HBO did a series of three documentaries on this case, one in 1996, one in 2000 and one in 2011. Paradise Lost. I always thought it was a great set of films, and provides a very different look than you would normally get from a documentary in that you are given a glimpse at three different times in relation to the case. The last one was nominated for best documentary at the last Oscars.

I'm interested in checking this one out though.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:09 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Summer Wars (2010)

9/10

Very funny anime, with spectacular visuals and great characters. Light-hearted tone makes it a good choice for a family film.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Auguste McEscoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

HBO did a series of three documentaries on this case, one in 1996, one in 2000 and one in 2011. Paradise Lost. I always thought it was a great set of films, and provides a very different look than you would normally get from a documentary in that you are given a glimpse at three different times in relation to the case. The last one was nominated for best documentary at the last Oscars.

I just watched the 2011 version a couple nights ago.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Skyfall - 8.9/10 Definitely one of the Best Bond films ever. Without a doubt the best visually. I was somewhat disappointed seeing so many familiar plot events, like the villain allowing himself to get caught bit. Not so sure about "Mr Silver's" brilliant scheme either, seemed to waste a lot energy on nonsense. Good acting performances throughout. I was expecting more humour based on comments after the movie came out so I was a little disappointed.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:01 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

I didn't see that series of docs, but West of Memphis certainly feels authentic. It's produced by Peter Jackson, who in part financed and help to plot strategy for the appeal, and Damien Echols, the most charismatic of the wrongfully accused teenagers. It makes a hell of a case against the State and doesn't shy away in the least from naming names. The State also provided a lot of footage that I'm surprised it was willing to let see the light of day. As exposes go, this is a very thorough and well done work.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
I just watched the 2011 version a couple nights ago.
Even so, I think you might find this one worth seeing. For one thing, I suspect that there is more of a sense of resolution with this one, catharsis even.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 7757
Valhalla Rising

1/10

What the hell did I just watch?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Stu Macher

I have seen all 3 of the Paradise Lost movies, as well as West of Memphis. I think West of Memphis is the most informative and complete documentary, because it's told with the benefit of hindsight. Paradise Lost 1 is very good, because it is such an inclusive look at the trial. I don't really love 2 or 3.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Valhalla Rising

1/10

What the hell did I just watch?
It was really awful. I know there were some ideas or themes bubbling under there - about salvation, heaven and hell, Nordic mythology and whatever - but the narrative didn't make a lick of sense. The mudfights in the first ten minutes were cool though, I thought it was just going to be a mudfight movie but ultimately, it wasn't .

Old
02-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Elever
Hth

I'm half way through Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Steve Martin) and also Midnight Run (R DeNiro). Both decent so far, both on Netflix btw.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I'm half way through Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Steve Martin) and also Midnight Run (R DeNiro). Both decent so far, both on Netflix btw.
Half way through 2 movies?

Everyone has their own way to watch I guess.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I liked midnight run..watched it a couple times

Old
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I didn't see that series of docs, but West of Memphis certainly feels authentic. It's produced by Peter Jackson, who in part financed and help to plot strategy for the appeal, and Damien Echols, the most charismatic of the wrongfully accused teenagers. It makes a hell of a case against the State and doesn't shy away in the least from naming names. The State also provided a lot of footage that I'm surprised it was willing to let see the light of day. As exposes go, this is a very thorough and well done work.
The first doc in the paradise lost series is a big reason why these three men are free today.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
There's a book called The Devil's Knot that's a very good read if you want to learn more about the WM3 case (although it's probably outdated by now, I think it was published at least 10 years ago).

I saw Paradise Lost 1+2, both were excellent. Was kind of surprised there was another WM3 doc, but I'm glad it's getting good reviews.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:07 PM
abe jr

vCash: 50
Ted

3/10

Laughed maybe 3 times.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Sound City. 8.5/10. Very interesting although it seemed to drag on a bit. Do reccommend.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Darnell Nurse
Lottery not Rigged

Looper 9.5/10

Best Sci-Fi film since Inception

Was kinda confusing at times but Gordon-Levitt and Willis were both great

Old
02-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Andy

Ronin: 7.5/10
Interesting movie, but the dialogue was so bad and awkward. Still fun, car chases were cool.

Revolver: 7/10
Guy Ritchie movie. Pretty interesting, a little confusing and a little slow, never know where your heading. Got kind of annoying near the end.

Killer Elite: 7/10
Interesting and pretty entertaining, but a flat movie. Doesn't go anywhere, no depth.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Five-Year Engagement - 8/10

My favorite romantic comedy in recent years. Jason Segel always nails it when he has the leading role.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Apocalypse Now
First time watching it. I'm blown away... I can't really judge this movie on the same systematic scale that I'd judge most other movies - direction, pace, subtext, etc. It's an experience, it's based off of the novel I most recently finished and I guess I just feel that much more engaged because Heart of Darkness is still in my mind. I think the cinematography was great, the effects were beyond reproach and the general tension to be something I won't forget any time soon.

Reminded me of Blade Runner a bit - a movie ahead of its time but so definitive for its genre that no one even bothered to try to replace it. It's THE psychological war movie, it's about civility and savagery and light and dark and what it means to represent good versus bad. As a movie, above its concept, I have no complaints - it might've been too long but then the tension and pacing wouldn't allow for the "slow decent into madness and nightmares and savagery" to be fully fleshed out.

I wish we saw the photographer, Dennis Hopper, a bit more I think after he disappears the movie is a bit jarring - Willard (Sheen) wakes up on the boat and there is a gap of several hours (days? weeks? who knows) in the narrative that doesn't follow with the same storytelling style the movie had up to that point.

Also that Sisyphean bridge just before they get to Kurtz was terrifying, pure madness!

Closed Thread