HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
kihei

vCash: 4688
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Apocalypse Now
First time watching it. I'm blown away... I can't really judge this movie on the same systematic scale that I'd judge most other movies - direction, pace, subtext, etc. It's an experience, it's based off of the novel I most recently finished and I guess I just feel that much more engaged because Heart of Darkness is still in my mind. I think the cinematography was great, the effects were beyond reproach and the general tension to be something I won't forget any time soon.

Reminded me of Blade Runner a bit - a movie ahead of its time but so definitive for its genre that no one even bothered to try to replace it. It's THE psychological war movie, it's about civility and savagery and light and dark and what it means to represent good versus bad. As a movie, above its concept, I have no complaints - it might've been too long but then the tension and pacing wouldn't allow for the "slow decent into madness and nightmares and savagery" to be fully fleshed out.

I wish we saw the photographer, Dennis Hopper, a bit more I think after he disappears the movie is a bit jarring - Willard (Sheen) wakes up on the boat and there is a gap of several hours (days? weeks? who knows) in the narrative that doesn't follow with the same storytelling style the movie had up to that point.

Also that Sisyphean bridge just before they get to Kurtz was terrifying, pure madness!
Very good review. Makes me want to see the movie again (preferably in IMAX). That opening shot of the rainforest exploding--in my mind, I can still hear the helicopter rotors turning.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Five-Year Engagement - 8/10

My favorite romantic comedy in recent years. Jason Segel always nails it when he has the leading role.
I'd say maybe 7/10 but I agree, only good romantic comedy which isn't dark that I've seen in a few years. They really suck nowadays.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:12 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

The Next Three Days

7/10

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Very good review. Makes me want to see the movie again (preferably in IMAX). That opening shot of the rainforest exploding--in my mind, I can still hear the helicopter rotors turning.
Thanks! I'm gonna have to gear up to give Redux a chance, it's like 4 hours long or something though

The shot of the rainforest and the opening narration "Saigon... sht; I'm still only in Saigon..." coupled with the End... totally on another level man.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Magic Mike - 4/10

I really did not like this at all. I felt the dialouge was poorly written and the whole thing felt so fake to me. It's too bad because Channing Tatum was pretty good and his character was interesting enough to carry the film.

Seven Psycopaths - 6.5/10

The movie was a lot of fun but just way too chaotic. I had a headache towards the end trying to keep up with all the craziness. A very clever/funny movie that could have been great if McDonagh could have just reigned it in a bit.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(US version) - 8.5/10

Old
02-06-2013, 10:34 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(US version) - 8.5/10
I recently watched this on cable after seeing the original about a year ago. The US version felt derivative dammit and I liked the original better even thought I wanted to like this version better.

Oh well...

Last movie I watched was The Reckoning 7.5/10

Old
02-07-2013, 02:48 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Here Comes the Boom - 5.3/10

Old
02-07-2013, 03:21 AM
Thunderhead

vCash: 613
"Seconds" (1966)

I LOVED this movie. A must see , imo. I'll give it a "10".

Old
02-07-2013, 03:26 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
The Next Three Days

7/10

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
I got it about 6 months ago , but did not watch it yet. Maybe I will today, if in the mood.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Ceremony
Woke up this morning

vCash: 30497
Flight

I did not enjoy it. The whole PRAISE JESUS stuff borders on insufferable.

02-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 0
I've been averaging about a movie per week for the last month or so.

This week it was Stallone's Bullet in the Head.

About as cheesy as you'd expect from a Stallone flick, dialogue was laughable (thanks in part to Sly's delivery), but overall the plot and action weren't half bad. I enjoyed it, at least a hell of a lot more than Parker and Last Stand.

7/10.

02-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Flight

I did not enjoy it. The whole PRAISE JESUS stuff borders on insufferable.
Agree.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I've been averaging about a movie per week for the last month or so.

This week it was Stallone's Bullet in the Head.

About as cheesy as you'd expect from a Stallone flick, dialogue was laughable (thanks in part to Sly's delivery), but overall the plot and action weren't half bad. I enjoyed it, at least a hell of a lot more than Parker and Last Stand.

7/10.
That's it ? I average 1 to 2 movies / day.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
I recently watched this on cable after seeing the original about a year ago. The US version felt derivative dammit and I liked the original better even thought I wanted to like this version better.

Oh well...

Last movie I watched was The Reckoning 7.5/10
Surprising...I can't think of a single thing the original did better than the U.S. version, personally.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Traffic-9/10- it dragged a little bit but amazing directing and editing. A good film on the drug war and many of the points made in the movie 13 years later still holds very true.
Seven psychopaths- 7.5/10 I thought it was a different but enjoyable comedy. Not as good as In Bruges but still a good film. I think peoples expectations were the reason they didn't like it as much.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Surprising...I can't think of a single thing the original did better than the U.S. version, personally.
My suspicion is because I saw the original film first and was introduced to the story in that film the second film added nothing for me and felt derivative.

Plus, when I saw the first film it was not in English, but had subtitles, and I liked the sound of it. Just a personal preference. I can't think of a single thing in the US version I liked better than the original, but heck I know someone who likes Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho better than Hitchcock's because he hates movies in black & white so go figure, to each his own.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
My suspicion is because I saw the original film first and was introduced to the story in that film the second film added nothing for me and felt derivative.

Plus, when I saw the first film it was not in English, but had subtitles, and I liked the sound of it. Just a personal preference. I can't think of a single thing in the US version I liked better than the original, but heck I know someone who likes Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho better than Hitchcock's because he hates movies in black & white so go figure, to each his own.
Well for me it went book -> Swedish film -> U.S. film so I saw them in the order they were released in, if that means anything.

Actually you make a good point that the authentic Swedish is obviously better than the "sometimes accented sometimes not" English in the remake, but then again, I don't think anyone was expecting Daniel Craig to do the whole thing in Swedish or anything...

As far as the original goes, I'd just describe is as "functional". It got the important stuff from the page to the screen, but didn't do it with any style. Fincher was the perfect choice for the American version, in that regard. He adapted everything well (improving on Larsson's original clumsy ending even) and made it look good doing so.

Anyway that's just my take. I certainly don't think the gulf between the two is monstrous enough to warrant a Van Sant/Hitchcock comparison though

Old
02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
"Seconds" (1966)

I LOVED this movie. A must see , imo. I'll give it a "10".
Who would have thought Rock Hudson had a performance like that in him? Very underrated movie.

Quote:
Rapace?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Rapace?
I knew you'd be coming in here with that noise Nothing against Rapace but I liked Mara better. I also found her character truer to her portrayal in the book (which isn't a knock on Rapace, of course, just a personal preference).

Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers

vCash: 72
I saw a few over the last little while.

Mama:

My only knock on this movie is that the title is absolutely garbage. The story, was amazing. It was definitely scary. Had a little bit of a twist in the end and in an odd and weird sort of way...it was kind of endearing. Very solid horror movie. Much like the classic horror films of old like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Exorcist.

8/10

Silver Linings Playbook-

I thought this movie was freaking hilarious. It was VERY well acted. It was well written. I didn't think it was going to focus around the Philadelphia Eagles so much, but I think it worked. The movie was pure gold from start to finish.

10/10

The Odd Life of Timothy Green-

AWFUL!!!!! I just couldn't get over how weird it was. I feel like they could have done more with the movie, and it doesn't help thatbthwbacting by everyone in the movie was
clearly there for the money.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
kihei

Quote:
I knew you'd be coming in here with that noise Nothing against Rapace but I liked Mara better. I also found her character truer to her portrayal in the book (which isn't a knock on Rapace, of course, just a personal preference).
I liked Mara, too, but I thought she had some soft edges, the odd ingratiating moment, while the more hardcore Rapace didn't allow for any of that, all of which was consistent with my reading of the character in the book. But if Mara/Rapace goes three sets, Craig knocks off Nyqvist something like, 6-2, 6-2 and Fincher clobbers Opiev by about the same score, maybe a little worse.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Flight
8/10

Very very good movie

Perks of a wallflower
8.5/10
Watched it twice in 2 days

Old
02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Who would have thought Rock Hudson had a performance like that in him? Very underrated movie.

Rapace?
John Randolph as Arthur Hamilton was brilliant also.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Thunderhead

Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964)
The Collector (1965)

Very good films. Give them both a +7

Closed Thread