HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Side Effects - This is a tremendous movie. Steven Soderbergh at his finest. It starts out seemingly as one movie, and then as he does so well, Soderbergh pulls the string - the theater I was in gasped - and it's almost another movie with a seamless transition. Rooney Mara is a money actress at this point, she is simply amazing. Jude Law is great, haven't seen much of his recent work, but this was a great job by he and Mara. And those who got sucked in gasped at the horror, if you know what I mean.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
No Quarter

vCash: 500
One Eyed Jacks

7.5/10

Old
02-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Side Effects - This is a tremendous movie. Steven Soderbergh at his finest. It starts out seemingly as one movie, and then as he does so well, Soderbergh pulls the string - the theater I was in gasped - and it's almost another movie with a seamless transition. Rooney Mara is a money actress at this point, she is simply amazing. Jude Law is great, haven't seen much of his recent work, but this was a great job by he and Mara. And those who got sucked in gasped at the horror, if you know what I mean.
I saw this last night and found it a little bit predictable, and I NEVER predict things in movies [correctly]. I thought it was, in the end, a good movie, but not something I'd probably recommend or watch again. The acting was great throughout, though.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
I saw this last night and found it a little bit predictable, and I NEVER predict things in movies [correctly]. I thought it was, in the end, a good movie, but not something I'd probably recommend or watch again. The acting was great throughout, though.
It depends. During these types of thrillers, I like to try to figure out the ending during the movie. I was sort of close.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Silver Linings Playbook - 8.5/10

Loved it. Really awesome performances by all involved, great to see Chris Tucker back as well. Hit close to home regarding a few things. Jennifer Lawrence is so hot.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Quote:
It depends. During these types of thrillers, I like to try to figure out the ending during the movie. I was sort of close.
I saw it tonight and found it far fetched. Not bad tho. I would give it a 6.5 out of 10. Not one of Sodenbergh's finest, tho.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:51 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Bronson: 6.5/10

I probably would have enjoyed it more if I knew anything about Charles Bronson before watching the film.

Hardy was amazing, though.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Thunderhead

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Throne View Post
Mama 6/10

It started off well and ended badly. In the middle there was some supense and some nice scenes that gave it some depth. Some other very choppy scenes that ended abruptly leaving you expecting more. Don't expect blood and gore you'll be very disappointed. I liked Jessica Chastain(oh so beautiful) the kingslayer Nikolaj coster-Waldau and the two kids but there was not enough story for them. It had some moments but wait to rent.
SPOILER

Spoil:

I thought the ending was intriguing, throwing the baby's remains away and then went after the girls. It was shocking to say the least. Anyway I gave it a 7+.
Take a look at this:
http://vimeo.com/10456782.

Last edited by GKJ: 02-11-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added spoil tags
Old
02-11-2013, 09:32 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Branded to Kill: 8/10
The fruits of the Japanese new wave are seemingly in endless supply. Branded to Kill is one of the most notorious, as it got director Seijun Suzuki essentially blacklisted from the Nikkatsu studio for being too "out there". It's certainly out there (the best of these films are), totally goofy and cool and weird. Maybe it doesn't hit the heights of my favorite, A Colt is My Passport (also starring chipmunk-cheeked Joe Shoshido) or Tokyo Drifter but it's still pretty excellent.

West of Memphis: 9/10
I've seen the first two Paradise Lost films and read a book about the case but the West Memphis 3 story never stops being tragic and terrifying no matter how many times you hear it. I missed PL3 so I don't know what's in here that isn't in there and vice versa (the release of the 3, obviously), but this does a good job of telling everything from beginning to end and bringing new things to light that I assume most people will be unaware of. It's maybe a little bit too all-encompassing at times and you start to feel its running length, but it's almost always interesting besides. The biggest crime is obviously the murder of the three boys but what makes the whole situation all the more tragic is the fact that a state and a so-called justice system turned three lost lives into six, with the wrongful imprisonment of Damien, Jason and Jessie. God help us as a society if we don't learn something from all of this.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

500 days of summer. 7/10

Old
02-12-2013, 01:56 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Evangelion 3.0: You Can(not) Redo 9/10

Mind ****. Simple as that. Well done! Can't wait for the 4th and final film.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Thunderhead

Last evening I decided to watch 3 "survival" movies .

Open Water (2003) 6.5
Open Water 2: Adrift (2006) 6
The Reef (2010) 6.5

GKF, thanks for editing my "Mama" post. I'll be careful in the future.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
SPOILER

Spoil:

I thought the ending was intriguing, throwing the baby's remains away and then went after the girls. It was shocking to say the least. Anyway I gave it a 7+.
Take a look at this:
http://vimeo.com/10456782.
I understand your take on it but it just didn't do it for me..to each his own i guess.

Cool video! Thanks

Old
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
kihei

vCash: 0

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980), directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder: The story, all 15+ hours of it, of Franz Biberkopf, once and future pimp, who in Berlin in the ‘20s has just been released from serving a four year prison term for beating his girlfriend to death. Though he is fat and average looking, Franz has a way with the ladies. The film chronicles about a half-dozen of his short term, live-in relationships, including the love of his life, Mieze. The film also dwells on his attempt to keep his promise to himself that he will go straight and be a better person. For a while, his spirit seems willing, but his flesh quickly appears very weak. Berlin Alexanderplatz is an “everyman” tragedy, and, in this case, the tragic antagonist’s flaws are all too obvious: he sees women as objects to own; he has a serious drinking problem; he beats his partners and otherwise treats them abominably whenever it is his whim to do so; and he has neither the education nor skills to be anything more than a huckster, a pimp or a petty criminal. Can Mieze escape the fate of Ida, the lover Franz went to prison for killing?

The best thing about this gargantuan movie is GŁnter Lamprecht, who plays Franz. He takes a character who is a violent, sexist lout and humanizes Franz enough for the audience to keep watching. Well, a small part of the audience, anyway. Berlin Alexanderplatz first saw the light of day as German television mini-series, but it was reviled by the general public and critically panned in the strongest terms. However, I thought that, in addition to Lamprecht, the movie had one other major point of interest. Set mostly in 1928, it gives a very vivid picture of a pre-Nazi Germany where people’s moral sense is vacant and their willingness to accept almost any behavior so all-encompassing that the movie provides a convincing precursor of what will go on in the country in a few short years.

Then, there is the negative side of the equation. Yes, the length is a problem. While the film starts strong, it eventually gets repetitious and there are too many philosophical/political discussions that tend to become doctrinaire very fast. As well, although many of the characters hold initial interest, few develop beyond a certain point. It doesn’t help, either, that the motley collection of petty criminals and hookers on parade provides us with only one or two rooting interests along the way. Fassbinder, a very politically savvy director, is definitely making a point about male attitudes and behaviour toward women in this period, but the near constant threat of brutality and the women characters’ willingness to accept such behavior as the norm, grinds away at one’s eventually flagging desire to watch more mayhem take place, especially as it is pretty damn clear where the movie is going.

I watched the movie in one-sitting, taking a three-hour break along the way for the Leafs game. I actually recommend that anyone considering watching this mammoth undertaking do something similar (well, the Leafs game is optional) as I doubt I would have had the enthusiasm to return to this material if I were watching it in hour-long chapters. I think Fassbinder handled the material in his characteristic way, and that on some level, if only for pure chutzpah, it is a noteworthy achievement. However, Berlin Alexanderplatz is far more an artistic curiosity than it is a satisfying film.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 02-12-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 5/10

It sounds like I am in the minority on this one, but I really didn't like this movie. First of all, I am not sure I bought the premise. I have never seen a group of misfits that were this attractive and this popular and polished. It explores things like homosexuality, suicide, mental illness, friendship, love; Clearly there is no shortage of themes, but to me it just felt like they were thrown together to try to give the story more layers and depth. It didn't really feel like it fit together. Not really sure I want to see Emma Watson doing an American accent any time soon either. There was one sequence that I found to be a lot of fun though. I loved when the kid ended up on an unexpected date and all the events that followed.

Fat Kid Rules the World - 7/10

An obese teenager is about to commit suicide when he is saved by a guitar player who is looking for a new drummer for his band. The premise is simple enough but it felt very amateurish. I didn't like the style and I really hated the dream sequences. It is saved by an all-world performance from Matt O'Leary who plays the guitar player. He is a homeless drug addict and just nails it. Like so many rock stars, we pity him yet we admire him. We think he is pathetic yet we think he is cool. O'Leary gives off that vibe perfectly and doesn't overdo anything. Really one of the best performances I have seen in a while. I wish he could have been on screen the whole time. The movie would have been a lot better off.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:15 PM
agent22red
Canes & Bolts

vCash: 206
Road to Perdition - 10/10

I am bias, this is my favorite movie.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:16 PM
agent22red
Canes & Bolts

vCash: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Bronson: 6.5/10

I probably would have enjoyed it more if I knew anything about Charles Bronson before watching the film.

Hardy was amazing, though.
This was the first movie I watched Hardy in after Inception. Lets just say I have been a huge fan sense. He is great in "Warrior" too.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:30 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I actually recommend that anyone considering watching this mammoth undertaking do something similar (well, the Leafs game is optional) as I doubt I would have had the enthusiasm to return to this material if I were watching it in hour-long chapters.
As one who watched the series that way, I can agree. It was definitely a struggle. Some ups, mostly downs. Not something I'd really recommend, but I commend you for plowing through it.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
eldiablo17

Warm Bodies (2013)

Really didn't care for this movie at all. Incredibly cliche, one note characters, and nonsensical internal logic. Far off from Levine's last film 50/50.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:26 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Throne View Post
I understand your take on it but it just didn't do it for me..to each his own i guess.

Cool video! Thanks
Welcome.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Thunderhead

Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

I absolutely loved this movie. 10/10

Old
02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)

I absolutely loved this movie. 10/10
Lena Olin was like a force of nature in that.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Vamos Rafa
°Vamos!

Saw The Thing (2011) last night on HBO.

Spoil:
Can someone explain how the Thing was able to impersonate the humans? I didn't get that part.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
SB164

So to my great surprise, I just found Cate Shortland's Lore online. I've been looking for this movie for months, but it has yet to be released in Montreal. Anyways, message me if you'd like the link.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Lena Olin was like a force of nature in that.
I hated her.

Closed Thread