HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
A Streetcar Named Desire - 8/10 (Brando gets a 10/10)

My only real problem with this film was Vivien Leigh.. She‘s a tremendous actress, but her performence in Streetcar seemed a bit over the top. I don‘t know what it was about Blanche, but she seemed to be striving for sympathy from everyone.. Her husbands suicide, the problems with Belle Reve, and the “tarantula arms“.. She seemed to want the spotlight, yet never wanted the light to be on. Her last 30 minutes however were amazing though. Maybe I just didn‘t understand the character..

Brando was his usual.. brilliant. The way he delivers his lines is marvelous. Even when he was yelling and smashing things, I felt like I was in the room.. and the delivery of “Stella!!“ during the stairway scene just sums up his talent. Despite the fact that Stanley was a complete *******, I couldn‘t help but like him simply because it was Brando.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
A Streetcar Named Desire - 8/10 (Brando gets a 10/10)

My only real problem with this film was Vivien Leigh.. She‘s a tremendous actress, but her performence in Streetcar seemed a bit over the top. I don‘t know what it was about Blanche, but she seemed to be striving for sympathy from everyone.. Her husbands suicide, the problems with Belle Reve, and the “tarantula arms“.. She seemed to want the spotlight, yet never wanted the light to be on. Her last 30 minutes however were amazing though. Maybe I just didn‘t understand the character..

Brando was his usual.. brilliant. The way he delivers his lines is marvelous. Even when he was yelling and smashing things, I felt like I was in the room.. and the delivery of “Stella!!“ during the stairway scene just sums up his talent. Despite the fact that Stanley was a complete *******, I couldn‘t help but like him simply because it was Brando.
Perhaps you might enjoy this article. The first two pages focus on Brando's personal background and the original stage play of A Streetcar Named Desire. It was written by a man old enough to remember it.

No other actor has ever rocketed to overnight stardom on the Broadway stage as Marlon Brando did in 1947, in Tennessee Williams's steamy play A Streetcar Named Desire...nothing will ever compare to the explosion set off by Brando in his savage portrayal of Stanley Kowalski, the brutal blue-collar tormentor of his defenseless sister-in-law, Blanche DuBois, who has come to take refuge with him and his wife.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...3/brando200503

Edit: The article is in fact written by Budd Schulberg, screenwriter of On The Waterfront

Old
12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Perhaps you might enjoy this article. The first two pages focus on Brando's personal background and the original stage play of A Streetcar Named Desire. It was written by a man old enough to remember it.

No other actor has ever rocketed to overnight stardom on the Broadway stage as Marlon Brando did in 1947, in Tennessee Williams's steamy play A Streetcar Named Desire...nothing will ever compare to the explosion set off by Brando in his savage portrayal of Stanley Kowalski, the brutal blue-collar tormentor of his defenseless sister-in-law, Blanche DuBois, who has come to take refuge with him and his wife.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...3/brando200503

Edit: The article is in fact written by Budd Schulberg, screenwriter of On The Waterfront
Thanks for sharing that!! It was quite long, but it was well worth the read. Silly as it may sound, but when Schulberg was describing how Brando made you want to run on stage and rescue Blanche from any further torment.. I actually felt chills of some sort as his fierce-ness was still fresh in my mind. His performances are very moving.. they affect you in such wierd ways. In “The Wild One“ I couldn‘t help but cheer for Johnny.. yet in “Streetcar“ he makes you feel sympathy for Blanche and Stella, yet you can‘t help but almost, for lack of a better term, fall in love with Stanley. He‘s so charming in such a wrong way.. you want to hit smack him upside the head and tell him to “smarten up“, but you‘re terrified at what he‘d do to you.. and it‘s a captivating feeling. You know Stanley means well, he loves you, but he just doesn‘t know how to show it.

Wow I really rambled there.. sorry. I also find it hard to think that Brando actually had to audition for “The Godfather“.. a role he didn‘t even want to do at first!!
I think i‘m gonna save “Last Tango in Paris“ and “On the Waterfront“ for another night.. I don‘t wanna use up all my “new Brando“ in one night!!

First movie that someone picks is my next one:
M. (1931)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Casablanca (1942)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
Guys and Dolls (1955)

Old
12-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that!! It was quite long, but it was well worth the read. Silly as it may sound, but when Schulberg was describing how Brando made you want to run on stage and rescue Blanche from any further torment.. I actually felt chills of some sort as his fierce-ness was still fresh in my mind. His performances are very moving.. they affect you in such wierd ways. In “The Wild One“ I couldn‘t help but cheer for Johnny.. yet in “Streetcar“ he makes you feel sympathy for Blanche and Stella, yet you can‘t help but almost, for lack of a better term, fall in love with Stanley. He‘s so charming in such a wrong way.. you want to hit smack him upside the head and tell him to “smarten up“, but you‘re terrified at what he‘d do to you.. and it‘s a captivating feeling. You know Stanley means well, he loves you, but he just doesn‘t know how to show it.

Wow I really rambled there.. sorry. I also find it hard to think that Brando actually had to audition for “The Godfather“.. a role he didn‘t even want to do at first!!
I think i‘m gonna save “Last Tango in Paris“ and “On the Waterfront“ for another night.. I don‘t wanna use up all my “new Brando“ in one night!!

First movie that someone picks is my next one:
M. (1931)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Casablanca (1942)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
Guys and Dolls (1955)
Well, if you haven't seen Casablanca, I'd have to pick that. One of the rare movies that is just about perfect.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
kihei

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Well, if you haven't seen Casablanca, I'd have to pick that. One of the rare movies that is just about perfect.
Yup.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
How do you rate The Celebration in comparison with After the Wedding?
I've never been terribly impressed from what I have seen from Susanne Bier, so I have actually never seen After the Wedding. So unfortunately I can't make a comparison between the two.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Festen (The Celebration) (1998)
How it took me this long to watch Festen I don't know, but I'm glad I finally did it.
I watched this in film class years ago. We had just watched City of God the week before, so we were expecting a lighter fare. We were all given a handout on Dogme 95 to look over before the movie started. We thought this would be a nice little representation of the Danish culture of cinema. But then, Ulrich Thomsen's character stood up, and uttered one of the most shocking lines I've ever heard in a film. I remember hearing the audible gasp from everyone in class. It was a collective "wtf" moment. He said it so casually. None of us were mentally prepared for that revelation.

I've seen this movie about three time since than. It's a great film resting on a brilliant script and sublime acting. It all feels a little too real at times, which is probably the most frightening thing about it given its subject matter. Nonetheless, anybody interested in foreign films might want to watch The Celebration.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Kloparren
Hth

The Sum of Fears on Netflix Canada starring Affleck and Freeman....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The movies on Netflix Canada all seem very middle of the road and boring or outlandish.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
I've never been terribly impressed from what I have seen from Susanne Bier, so I have actually never seen After the Wedding. So unfortunately I can't make a comparison between the two.
I feel exactly the same about the first two films that I saw her direct In a Better World and Things We Lost in the Fire (really good performance by Benicio Del Toro, though). Her work just seemed a little flat and contrived to me, a bad combination. But I think After the Wedding is better than either of those two. It's still contrived but far more engaging, and Mikkelsen is very good as usual.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Saw Holy Motors again, to see if it cast a spell on another viewing, and it did. For the second time it moves up on the yearly list; Oslo, August 31 drops on second viewing, but just a bit:

1. Amour, Haneke, France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. Life of Pi Ang, US
5. No, Larrain, Chile
6. Holy Motors, Carax, France
7 A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
8. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
9 Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
10. Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway

Last edited by kihei: 12-07-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Killing Them Softly, 4/10

I thought the pacing was way to slow, leaving me uninterested, and ruining the potential the film had

Old
12-07-2012, 01:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
It‘s actually 1 of 3 films Weneger made about the Golem. He made the one you watched in 1920, “The Golem“ in 1915, and “The Golem and the Dancing Girl“ in 1917. The most recent is a prequel to the first made, and the Dancing Girl one was actually a comedy! Both the first and second made are now lost films though, which sucks because I‘ve always wanted to see the Dancing Girl one..
Indeed, I had read that upon doing my usual post-movie watching wikipediaing. I'm with you, I definitely would like to have seen those other 2. I hear fragments of one of them survives, may be worth looking out for.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

The Warriors

A classic that I haven't watched in years. 8/10

Old
12-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Yup.
I don't think it's quite perfect, because it has one weak link: Paul Henried. He, along with is character Victor Lazlo, is simply a bit too stiff. I know he's supposed to be a symbol, but I wish he was a bit more engaging. Even his most engaging moment (the anthem scene) gets completely stolen by Rick with a simple head nod.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Pink Mist
RIP MM*

I watched Kieslowski's The Double Life of Veronique for the first time last night. It was absolutely mesmerizing; the score, the cinematography, Irene Jacobs, were all beautiful and astonishing. Definitely a favorite of mine

Old
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Mist View Post
I watched Kieslowski's The Double Life of Veronique for the first time last night. It was absolutely mesmerizing; the score, the cinematography, Irene Jacobs, were all beautiful and astonishing. Definitely a favorite of mine
You aren't the only one on this thread for whom The Double Life of Veronique is a favorite. Welcome aboard.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:54 PM
kihei

Quote:
Anna Karenina really, really, really didn't work for me at all. I think it failed from its very foundation: the relationship between Anna and Vronsky. Those two performers have ZERO chemistry, which I pin much more on the incredibly dull Johnson than I do on the capable Knightley. This leads to the film having no spark, no life. There was no reason to believe that this relationship was so amazing and passionate that she's willing to throw her life away. Joe Wright seemed much more interested in his own visual style than he did on properly developing his story.....
For the perfect guy in that role, we'd need a time machine and the ability to resurrect--but a young Helmut Berger would have been terrific as Vronsky. A young Alain Delon, who I also thought of, would be overkill. Current stars--I'd go with Pattinson if I could get him.

I loved the theatricality of the structure so I really liked Anna Karenina, but I admit that Johnson was the weak link.

Last edited by kihei: 12-07-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
kihei

Quote:
I don't think it's quite perfect, because it has one weak link: Paul Henried. He, along with is character Victor Lazlo, is simply a bit too stiff. I know he's supposed to be a symbol, but I wish he was a bit more engaging. Even his most engaging moment (the anthem scene) gets completely stolen by Rick with a simple head nod.
It's fun recasting movies. Actually, I like Heinreid's stuffiness and straight arrow approach to the role because I think that's would the role needed. But my alternate pick for that part would be Anton Walbrook, who has more dash than Heinreid.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

My goodness.. Ingrid Bergman is by far one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Her facial structure, those eyes, that voice... perfection.. They really don‘t make ‘em like that anymore.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
For the perfect guy in that role, we'd need a time machine and the ability to resurrect--but a young Helmut Berger would have been terrific as Vronsky. A young Alain Delon, who I also thought of, would be overkill. Current stars--I'd go with Pattinson if I could get him.

I loved the theatricality of the structure so I really liked Anna Karenina, but I admit that Johnson was the weak link.
Interesting, I read that Pattinson was considered for the role. I agree, he would have been better.

The theatricality of the film would have interested me more if I thought Joe Wright was using it to actually tell the story, instead of it being all he apparently cared about. He seemed to have no interest in the story. I thought Anna Karenina was a feature length version of his immensely show-offy Dunkirk Beach sequence from Atonement.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Pandorum. Good, but I wish that
Spoil:
Norman Reedus' character would have lasted longer

7.5/10

Also, the crazy cook guy was kind of... meh

Old
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
kihei

Quote:
My goodness.. Ingrid Bergman is by far one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Her facial structure, those eyes, that voice... perfection.. They really don‘t make ‘em like that anymore.
Total, complete, abject agreement. Plus, the way she is lit in Casablanca is so well done.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:15 PM
kihei

Quote:
Interesting, I read that Pattinson was considered for the role. I agree, he would have been better.

The theatricality of the film would have interested me more if I thought Joe Wright was using it to actually tell the story, instead of it being all he apparently cared about. He seemed to have no interest in the story. I thought Anna Karenina was a feature length version of his immensely show-offy Dunkirk Beach sequence from Atonement.
...Which was, of course, the only thing that I liked about Atonement.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
If you like Ingrid Bergman, and haven't seen Hitchcock's Notorious, it's my favorite Hitchcock film that contains a wonderful Bergman performance (as well as wonderful performances by the always great Cary Grant and Claude Rains).

Old
12-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
...Which was, of course, the only thing that I liked about Atonement.

I thought it was very well done technically, but was there more to show off than to give any depth to the story. There are literally people riding a pommel horse or juggling halfway through it. It seemed like Joe Wright planned the sequence to be neat, instead of affecting.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Bourne Legacy - 7½/10 Good action flick but the major plot was a bit too vague or uninteresting. Clint Bart...I mean Jeremy Renner was decent and Rachel Weisz wasn't bad either. The rest were just people behind screens/offices.

Closed Thread