HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Lounge v. 87 - The Lord of the LL: The Return of the Kamo

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
That thread was 11 days ago? ****, feels like it was made yesterday haha.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Depends on who you are saying it too. Few assumptions I need to dispel. First, the media wont fabricate him as a villain, by shooting two other people in public he has done that to himself. I see your point though, yes the media will pounce on this case quickly.

No. If the man enlists in the army, and does not have orders to shoot, then he will be reprimanded for war crimes. Other factors: If he does have orders, is he killing other soldiers or is it civilians? He will be in big **** if its civilians. Second, is there a presence of a threat? Why is he shooting? Simply because he is trigger happy?
Well, for example: Ratko Mladic, a Serb general gave direct orders to his army in which were located either on roofs or outside of Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia, to shoot civilians and shell the city. This is precisely what he's being charged with today. And so yeah, today, if you pull this kind of stuff there's a good chance you will be prosecuted because like I said, the prosecution of war crimes is much more efficient today than it was during past wars hundreds of years ago.

But this example about the man on the street / man in the army would be said before I explain and analyze the crimes of Mladic and other war criminals that I'll talk about.

It's not meant to come off as a fact or the harsh reality of the double standard regarding war, (though instances like that have occurred in the past) it's more meant to provoke a thought into the audience right before I get into my examples (Yugoslav wars, Iraq War, Kony)

Old
11-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Met my future roommate tonight. Might have a LR situation come January on my hands, boys.
Lol everything good brother?

11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Lol everything good brother?
Yeee ledrin. Future roomie seems kinda weird doe. Guess we'll find out.

11-11-2012, 07:34 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

Do you guys think the youth of today are more involved and concerned with politics? Especially compared to any other generation over the last 100 years? Or do you think it's the opposite, and today's generation is less interested in politics? I think the re-election of Obama shows the idea that more young people care about the politics, the economy of the country.

What's happening in the US IMO is almost the equivalent of an enlightenment period a couple hundred years ago. We watched a video in law class and the term "The New America" was mentioned, representing the ideas of the young, enlightened Americans who voted for Obama in 2008. These same people came out in 2012 to defend what they've been working at for the past four years against Romney and his "old-fashioned" views which most of America has simply moved on from. Maybe calling it an enlightenment period is a bit of an exaggeration lol.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:45 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Do you guys think the youth of today are more involved and concerned with politics? Especially compared to any other generation over the last 100 years? Or do you think it's the opposite, and today's generation is less interested in politics? I think the re-election of Obama shows the idea that more young people care about the politics, the economy of the country.

What's happening in the US IMO is almost the equivalent of an enlightenment period a couple hundred years ago. We watched a video in law class and the term "The New America" was mentioned, representing the ideas of the young, enlightened Americans who voted for Obama in 2008. These same people came out in 2012 to defend what they've been working at for the past four years against Romney and his "old-fashioned" views which most of America has simply moved on from. Maybe calling it an enlightenment period is a bit of an exaggeration lol.
It is an interesting time in the US right now.

Could be time for the right to fracture into two. Not everyone on the right is a Tea Party supporter.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Brody

Classic ****ing song, makes me hate today's music lol

Old
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

alright family guy 1 hr episode. I love these kind of episodes.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Tried finding a torrent for NHL 2003 or 2002 today, but no luck

Old
11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Old
11-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Brody

Who do you think wins the ECF? Toronto or Montreal?

Old
11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Polo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
at the end of October?

Old
11-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
at the end of October?
whats wrong with that? why cant we honor them a little before the "official" date?

Old
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
alright family guy 1 hr episode. I love these kind of episodes.
Thought it was stupid.

Saw maybe 5-10 mins.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:05 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Watching Red Dragon.

Love how he feeds the symphony board the flutist that is missing.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:

I think we are going to see a larger group of young people voting and caring about politics now because of Obama.

In the past, the younger votes (aged 18-30 or so) usually didn't care as much and thus not vote but they are a huge group of people who in the past were untapped. Obama targeted them specifically and got huge numbers of younger people to vote which helped him win. With how close the election was it very well could have been the difference. Makes sense that they care too. The decisions made by the gov't could change the future of the country for decades and these are the people who would be experiencing some things the most. The hard part though is showing them that they should care. Most people in that age group don't even care about that really since they are trying to move on in their life. This is the age they are doing school, getting a job, moving out, starting a family etc. Politics is kind of on the back burner to most people. Obama I believe has started to change that and I think it is only going to grow. This is something I expect to happen in every election from now on.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
LeafsTFC

Quote:

Well, if you measure interest in politics through voting turnout, then the answer would be a pretty emphatic no - that is, that youth are less involved. However, I don't think voter turnout is a particularly helpful measure of interest in politics.

I would say that any involvement of youth in American politics is specifically because of Obama. When his term as President is over and the Democrats nominate someone who is less "in tune" with young people, I think that it will back to politics as usual. Also, I would argue that young people seemed less engaged with Obama this time around than last time. Probably because they started to see him not as someone who could transcend politics, but as someone who had the "play the game" like the rest of people (e.g. attacking his opponents). Obama also hasn't been successful pushing forward all the measures that drew young people to him (Guantanamo - not his fault but it's still important to recognize). It would be interesting to compare youth voter turnout between 2008 and 2012. I know that less votes were cast overall in 2012 compared to 2008.

In addition, I don't think we can generalize what's happening in the US to the rest of the world. It certainly doesn't seem like youth are interested in politics in Canada, and I would argue that today's generation is less interested in politics than previous ones. That being said, I also don't think it's a bad thing. Voter turnout and interest in politics, in my opinion, is often dampened when people's life is going pretty well and the government is generally staying out of it. For example, voter turnout in South Africa has dropped slightly from the end of Apartheid. Maybe that's because people in that country are less scared than they once were that by electing the wrong party, they would be endangering their lives?

Old
11-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsTFC View Post
Well, if you measure interest in politics through voting turnout, then the answer would be a pretty emphatic no - that is, that youth are less involved. However, I don't think voter turnout is a particularly helpful measure of interest in politics.

I would say that any involvement of youth in American politics is specifically because of Obama. When his term as President is over and the Democrats nominate someone who is less "in tune" with young people, I think that it will back to politics as usual. Also, I would argue that young people seemed less engaged with Obama this time around than last time. Probably because they started to see him not as someone who could transcend politics, but as someone who had the "play the game" like the rest of people (e.g. attacking his opponents). Obama also hasn't been successful pushing forward all the measures that drew young people to him (Guantanamo - not his fault but it's still important to recognize). It would be interesting to compare youth voter turnout between 2008 and 2012. I know that less votes were cast overall in 2012 compared to 2008.

In addition, I don't think we can generalize what's happening in the US to the rest of the world. It certainly doesn't seem like youth are interested in politics in Canada, and I would argue that today's generation is less interested in politics than previous ones. That being said, I also don't think it's a bad thing. Voter turnout and interest in politics, in my opinion, is often dampened when people's life is going pretty well and the government is generally staying out of it. For example, voter turnout in South Africa has dropped slightly from the end of Apartheid. Maybe that's because people in that country are less scared than they once were that by electing the wrong party, they would be endangering their lives?
Was curious so I did a quick google search. Didn't see any numbers but I did see this

Quote:
And this election, young people turned out in larger numbers overall than experts on the youth vote anticipated, with about 50 percent of young people turning out in 2012, roughly the same turnout as 2008.
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...-lost-election

And this from wikipedia (the source for it is MTV), kind of interesting.

Quote:
The number of young voters in the 2008 US presidential election has tripled, even quadrupled in some states compared to the 2004 elections

Old
11-11-2012, 11:36 PM
LeafsTFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Was curious so I did a quick google search. Didn't see any numbers but I did see this

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...-lost-election

And this from wikipedia (the source for it is MTV), kind of interesting.
Interesting. I feel like the Tea Party played a much larger role in this election by influencing a lot of Romney's positions. I got the impression from young people that this election was more about beating Romney and the Tea Party, whereas the last one was about electing Obama. Just my experience though.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsTFC View Post
Interesting. I feel like the Tea Party played a much larger role in this election by influencing a lot of Romney's positions. I got the impression from young people that this election was more about beating Romney and the Tea Party, whereas the last one was about electing Obama. Just my experience though.
I could agree with that.

They kind of talked about during the election night (mind you once Romney was starting to lose) how he was kind of a placeholder until better candidates came around.

I just think about how in 4 years time it is possible (anything can happen still) that a woman is president right after having a black president for 8 years. Shows how much things would have changed from say 50 years ago.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:42 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
I'm just surprised that Obama wasn't assassinated..

EDIT: Yet..

11-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

sick beats, phion knows it.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:48 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I'm just surprised that Obama wasn't assassinated..

EDIT: Yet..
YOu ever see Chris Rock's bit about why there would never be a Black President or Vice president?

He was obviously wrong but the bit is funny.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:54 PM
LeafsTFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
YOu ever see Chris Rock's bit about why there would never be a Black President or Vice president?

He was obviously wrong but the bit is funny.
No, but I have seen this video. Pretty hilarious

Old
11-12-2012, 12:00 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Closed Thread