HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Toronto Maple Leafs in 93

Old
10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Toronto Maple Leafs in 93

Why do people assume the Leafs would've beaten the Canadiens in the finals if the Gretzky high-stick was called and the Leafs moved on? Hearing Leaf fans talk about it, it seems like it was a certainty that they would have won the Cup.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Why do people assume the Leafs would've beaten the Canadiens in the finals if the Gretzky high-stick was called and the Leafs moved on? Hearing Leaf fans talk about it, it seems like it was a certainty that they would have won the Cup.
Yes, hearing Leaf fans talk about it, it sure does.

Does this surprise you?

Hearing most other people talk about it, it's far from conclusive.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 05:09 PM
mitch27

I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. They couldn't beat LA and it only took the Canadiens 5 games to beat LA.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Jacob8hockey*

Quote:
I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. They couldn't beat LA and it only took the Canadiens 5 games to beat LA.
Just because the Canadiens beat LA in 5 doesn't mean that the Canadiens would have beat Toronto in 5. Teams play differently against eachother, and even the LA - Toronto series was close with 2 OT deciding games. Boston proved that 2 years ago. They went to game 7 3 times, do you think that Montreal had what it takes to beat Vancouver that year just cause they went to game 7 with the cup champs?

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 05:21 PM
a a ron
Tyler the franchise

leafs wouldve won the cup theres no doubt in my mind

a a ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Well had the Kings not won game 6 in controversial way, Then maybe there that sentiment wouldn't be out there.

But they did.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:09 PM
cynicism

I'm a Leafs fan and I firmly believe there's no way Montreal doesn't win the Cup that year, regardless if they faced LA or TO in the final. Montreal was on fire, getting amazing goaltending and the Leafs were a tired team, 3 7-game series will do that.

People do need to move on from the whole Fraser thing. Yeah he blew a call, but Glen Anderson took a boarding penalty that set up Gretzky's winner in OT. Then they had game 7 at home and failed to win.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Killion

Not much chance beyond doing what they did. A bright spot. Thanks for the memory.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Big Phil

Leaf fan here. I pride myself in being one of the ones with common sense. We wouldn't have won the Cup. For starters, we can complain all day about Fraser's blown call. That being said we still allowed an overtime goal and to boot we lost at home in Game 7 on a Saturday night. I mean, what can be more poetic in Canada than that? Yet the Leafs blew it. How can you possibly deserve to win the Cup when you can't finish the job on your own ice?

Secondly, Roy was unreal that spring. People think that Habs/LA series was a blowout but it wasn't. The Habs needed a crucial goal from Desjardins to tie Game 2. Not to mention before the tying goal arguably the save of the playoffs came before that tying goal when Gretzky dropped a pass to McSorley and Roy down and out got the glove on it. Even the two overtime games in LA would have drastically changed the series had LA scored. It was a close series.

But since L.A. relied heavily on Gretzky the Leafs relied heavily on Gilmour as well. Carboneau managed to contain the Great One to an extent and you can bet he would have to Gilmour as well. That being said, who is going to score the goals on Roy? Andreychuk is useless without Dougie. Clark would be hit or miss and then you've got an old Glenn Anderson. Montreal wasn't an offensive juggernaut but they had a more balanced attack. Plus Roy, who would outplay Potvin.

Let it rest boys. We lost fair and square. 1967 sucks but it is what it is.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 10:51 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I think the key to the 93 playoffs was 'stop Gretzky' and you win the cup. The Leafs couldn't do that, but the Habs did.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
1967 sucks but it is what it is.
... how does it "suck"? Sawchuk stoning the Hawks in the Semi's wasnt enough for you Phil? Were' the best and always will be.
A place in time. Arrogance? Damn straight.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... how does it "suck"? Sawchuk stoning the Hawks in the Semi's wasnt enough for you Phil? Were' the best and always will be.
A place in time. Arrogance? Damn straight.
Well the amount of time without a championship "sucks". Thank God for the Cubs, Lions, Browns, Indians and for a while the Red Sox and White Sox. There aren't many left.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Well the amount of time without a championship "sucks". There aren't many left.
True. It does however take a certain breed of arrogance, hubris. Knowing that you hold a Full House and in your heart of hearts see the win. Crawl up and out with fists flying, winning. And Win we shall. Time is a rubber-band Phil. You'll be back even after death. Deal with it.

Old
10-13-2012, 01:23 PM
MadLuke

Nordiques fans at the time, that Leaf team was my west team and my team in nhl 94, so much great player (or blue teams was my criteria).

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Aside from what has been mentioned, there was another factor involved.

The Habs won the Cup in just 20 games. The Leafs played 21 and didn't even make the finals.

Why is this an issue besides the obvious? Because Burns was only really relying on 5 D-men; Ellett, Lefebvre, Macoun, Rouse and Gill.
He only dressed 5 D-men 7 of those 21 games and even when he did dress Mironov as a 6th D-man the other 14 games, he was almost exclusively used only on the power play.

That D corps was noticeably running out of gas about halfway through the LA series. Playing that Montreal team with their very spread out offense would of exploited them even further than LA did.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:43 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

Toronto had Gilmour, Clark, & Andreychuk who I think were the much better Forwards then the Canadiens Fowards at that time and I would say their Defense was also better. They might have been even when you compare Potvin vs Roy, however he had beat tougher teams in Detroit and St. Louis.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:28 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

It a ridiculous argument that I heard too many times. The Habs set an NHL record of 10 consecutive overtime victories in one playoff in 93. They lost four games total and two of these games were the first two they played! For whatever reason they just got rolling after beating the Nordiques and never stopped. By the time they reached the final it was already a foregone conclusion.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Toronto had Gilmour, Clark, & Andreychuk who I think were the much better Forwards then the Canadiens Fowards at that time and I would say their Defense was also better. They might have been even when you compare Potvin vs Roy, however he had beat tougher teams in Detroit and St. Louis.
Beyond Gilmour, Clark, Andreychuk and Anderson, Montreal had a significant advantage upfront. Just a much deeper and more versitile forward group. And the defenses were a wash, a mix of solid guys who complimented each other well.

10-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
I think you should take a better look at that Habs team my friend.
Gilmour might be the best on either team at the time but depthwise...Habs win that in a landslide at forward and have an edge on defense.
Toronto's defense had no depth and is the reason Burns only used 5 d-men all the time.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Gilmour might be the best on either team at the time but depthwise...Habs win that in a landslide at forward and have an edge on defense.
Toronto's defense had no depth and is the reason Burns only used 5 d-men all the time.
Why are you arguing with a guy whos name is leaf fan 4 ever in capital letters and states that Toronto had better forwards than the Habs?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Beyond Gilmour, Clark, Andreychuk and Anderson, Montreal had a significant advantage upfront. Just a much deeper and more versitile forward group. And the defenses were a wash, a mix of solid guys who complimented each other well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71
How about Toronto wanting to win it for Pat Burns against his former team. That right there would have been even more motivation to get him his 1st Stanley Cup.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
How about Toronto wanting to win it for Pat Burns against his former team. That right there would have been even more motivation to get him his 1st Stanley Cup.
How about Toronto wanting to win against LA so Burns could face his former team....how'd that work out?

Old
10-14-2012, 03:19 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
How about Toronto wanting to win against LA so Burns could face his former team....how'd that work out?
It was a hypothetical response. However you don't think had Toronto beat Los Angeles they wouldn't want to win so Burns wouldn't lose the Stanley Cup to his former team.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:20 PM
darkhorse686

I recently head of a conspiracy theory that states that the Kings-Leafs series was fixed so LA would go to the final. Something about helping increase hockey's popularity in the US (you'd have the game's marquee star in the Stanley Cup finals on an American team, or something like that). Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

darkhorse686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:43 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse686 View Post
I recently head of a conspiracy theory that states that the Kings-Leafs series was fixed so LA would go to the final. Something about helping increase hockey's popularity in the US (you'd have the game's marquee star in the Stanley Cup finals on an American team, or something like that). Has anyone else heard of such a thing?
My Accounting teacher in College told me the same thing. He also thought because it was also Bettman's 1st year as NHL Commissioner that the NHL wanted an American team in the Stanley Cup and they were lucky how Los Angeles advanced to the Conference Finals because what better team to have playing.

Personally I find that conspiracy theory hard to believe, however some evidence is there when you look at the penalty Kerry Fraser called on Glen Anderson after the Leafs tied Game 6 and the non call on Gretzky in overtime.