HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Do All Teams Employ Their Own Broadcasters?

Old
03-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Holden66

vCash: 500
Do All Teams Employ Their Own Broadcasters?

I was wondering do all teams employ their own broadcasters for television and radio? If so, when did this trend start?

Last edited by Holden66: 03-25-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Holden66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
You Must Be Tired

vCash: 2626
No.

For instance Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey are employees of Root Sports, while the radio tandem of Mike Lange and Phil Bourque are employees of the Penguins. For most (all?) promotional material provided by the team you hear Lange and Bourque, not Steigerwald and Errey.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Holden66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
No.

For instance Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey are employees of Root Sports, while the radio tandem of Mike Lange and Phil Bourque are employees of the Penguins. For most (all?) promotional material provided by the team you hear Lange and Bourque, not Steigerwald and Errey.
So more likely the radio broadcasters would be employed by the teams. Kind of makes sense as if there is a regional or national television rights package, would be employed by the TV station.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Jonas1235

I'm sure the team has some say over who is used on air, but they're actually employed by the broadcaster. Ie. Eddie olcyk on Blackhawks tv

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

AFAIK, Sharks employ two radio and two TV (Dan Rusanowsky, Jamie Baker - ex player; Randy Hahn, Drew Remenda; pxp, analyst, respectively). Additionally, there are few former NHL players hired by the local TV station for pre/post game and/or in game analysis (including Bret Hedican, Curtis Brown). The RSN provides a sideline reporter (Brodie Brazil) who doubles as studio host during road games.

The Sharks also have a TV producer (Frank Albin), researcher/stats guy (Dan Bonosara) on staff.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Best bet would be to just check the team's year book or media guides. If they're in there, they're a team employee.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 03-24-2013 at 05:09 PM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:19 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden66 View Post
I was wondering do all teams employ their own broadcasters for television and radio? If so, when did this trend start!
No need to yell, man.

But yeah I would say that TV commentators are employed by the network, not the team. Different sport, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with hockey: "Marv Albert and MSG part ways". That was the headline when Marv Albert left his commentating job with the Knicks.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:42 AM
JB52

In Montreal, the Canadiens do not employed any of their broadcast team.

But then, some could argue that they don't need to, 'cause all the journalists in the city are already sold to the cause.

JB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Holden66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
No need to yell, man.

But yeah I would say that TV commentators are employed by the network, not the team. Different sport, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with hockey: "Marv Albert and MSG part ways". That was the headline when Marv Albert left his commentating job with the Knicks.
Sorry was a typo. I was wondering as I think some teams do and some don't. Heard last week that the Maple Leaf reporters don't travel on the same plane as the team.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Holden66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
In Montreal, the Canadiens do not employed any of their broadcast team.

But then, some could argue that they don't need to, 'cause all the journalists in the city are already sold to the cause.
Not so sure all the media is sold on towing the party line in Montreal, however would make sense as there is no need to co opt the media there.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:27 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

No, I think the networks hire their own guys to broadcast for teams.

03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
Quote:
I was wondering do all teams employ their own broadcasters for television and radio? If so, when did this trend start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
No.

Quote:
So more likely the radio broadcasters would be employed by the teams. Kind of makes sense as if there is a regional or national television rights package, would be employed by the TV station.
I think a twist on question is order

"How much control over the home broadcaster do home teams have." In Canada, nearly all the home team broadcaster for radio are vetted by the team and are "on board" with negative comments towards the team

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

I'm pretty sure that the Senators broadcast crew are employed by the team and not by the respective networks. I remember hearing that many years ago, and I was surprised at first, but it seemed to be a trend. Dean Brown does Sportsnet games as well as a few Hockey Night in Canada games, which probably wouldn't be possible if he was employed by Sportsnet. He does radio when the Sens are on TSN (and the radio station is owned by BellMedia).

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

vCash: 13477
Pretty sure the Isles have some form of control over their TV commentators even though they're MSG ee's. They pretty much had Billy Jaffe canned as the color man for being "too negative" about the team.

Our radio broadcast however is Radio Hofstra, so I'm guessing it's mostly run by their Communications/Broadcasting department/students. Yes, Charles Wang is cheap.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Holden66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Senators broadcast crew are employed by the team and not by the respective networks. I remember hearing that many years ago, and I was surprised at first, but it seemed to be a trend. Dean Brown does Sportsnet games as well as a few Hockey Night in Canada games, which probably wouldn't be possible if he was employed by Sportsnet. He does radio when the Sens are on TSN (and the radio station is owned by BellMedia).
This makes sense. I have heard the same, but it is not often repeated in the local press as they always try steer clear of the "Homer" tag even though it is apparent that Dean Brown is a dyed in the wool homer.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:51 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post

Our radio broadcast however is Radio Hofstra, so I'm guessing it's mostly run by their Communications/Broadcasting department/students. Yes, Charles Wang is cheap.

It's probably less he's cheap and more their radio ratings suck so bad that no one better is willing to fork over money for rights.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
njdevils1982
Hell Toupe!!!

nice ****ing rings huh. doc.

“Chico [Resch] and I aren’t club employees, we’re employees of Madison Square Garden Network,” Emrick says. “Yet, when the team wins we get a championship ring.”

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowln...chedule_b39900

still waiting for that jeanneret one. yeah......no. not happening.

Last edited by njdevils1982: 03-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Djp

This is one of those grey areas....There is journalistic ethics in place.

The TV announcers and commentator are generally with the team so they keep the same announcing crew with the team. The station that holds the rights tends to run the intermission shows.

In the last 15 years sports team have gone to local sports networks on cable and are rarely on over the air network/local TV.

Before cable one of the local affiliates aired the games. Then when cable came up it was more of a split of games where about half on TV and the other half on cable. Now almost all is on cable.

The trend now is the team have an ownership stake in the local sports network that airs the games.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:39 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
This is one of those grey areas....There is journalistic ethics in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

The TV announcers and commentator are generally with the team so they keep the same announcing crew with the team. The station that holds the rights tends to run the intermission shows.

In the last 15 years sports team have gone to local sports networks on cable and are rarely on over the air network/local TV.

Before cable one of the local affiliates aired the games. Then when cable came up it was more of a split of games where about half on TV and the other half on cable. Now almost all is on cable.

The trend now is the team have an ownership stake in the local sports network that airs the games.

You are assuming that sports guys have ethics and are held to the same level as the guys who chase after hard hitting news.. hate to break it to ya--they are not.

Example from Edmonton is Bob Stauffer who hosts Oilers Now on 630ched-for 20+ years he was a respected member of the of Edmonton Media-- he is on the payroll of the Oilers and he atleast admits it. He pointed out that he is not the only one and suggested that in somethig like 65% of hockey cities there is a guy like him in the media, but does not make it clear that part if his contract is paid for by the NHL team

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote