HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Yeah I was at that game and I agree completely. But quiet crowds tend to happen when you take an early lead and completely dominate the opponent all game.
True, but I did feel that opening night wasn't as loud as previous years either.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:45 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Which game was it? I thought most of the games in my 200 section had a "400-like" atmosphere. Just not the Penguins game.
Islanders game on Thursday

Old
02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
SwedeAmerican

Any chance once everybody gets used to the new Garden the old 'atmosphere' will return?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
Any chance once everybody gets used to the new Garden the old 'atmosphere' will return?
The structure itself has changed and while I'm sure it will be loud for really big games, I have my doubts.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
What's wrong with the atmosphere? I was there the game vs the Bruins and Islanders up in the 200s and I loved the atmosphere.

02-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Legend23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
What's wrong with the atmosphere? I was there the game vs the Bruins and Islanders up in the 200s and I loved the atmosphere.
I am in 212 and in my opinion the atmosphere for the Isles game was no way near what it usually is. The score probably had something to do with it and that sleeper of a national anthem (where is Johnny?) didnt help the atmosphere at the beginning

Old
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend23 View Post
I am in 212 and in my opinion the atmosphere for the Isles game was no way near what it usually is. The score probably had something to do with it and that sleeper of a national anthem (where is Johnny?) didnt help the atmosphere at the beginning
I agree with you. I think the fact that the game was never close had more to do with the dead crowd though.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend23 View Post
Seriously, where is Amirante? He sang the anthem back in November for the Cornell game but I haven't seen him for the Rangers this year.

The crowd for the most part has been pretty dead IMO. It was like that early last season too though so I'm not concerned. Once we get later into the season, I'm sure you'll see the atmosphere really improve.

02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Seriously, where is Amirante? He sang the anthem back in November for the Cornell game but I haven't seen him for the Rangers this year.
he's sick.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
he's sick.
That's what I figured.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
ThisYearsModel

Let's face it.....the atmosphere has been on the decline for years. Noisy Garden is rare these days, and there is zero intimidation anymore. Ticket prices, premium seating for rich clients and the Garden Storm Troopers have had their effect on the crowds. Get to the semis and finals amd maybe it comes back, but I doubt anyone will ever experience the atmosphere from the 2 Game 7's in 1994 again. Last time I was there, it was like a library in a 3-0 shutout win.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Giacomin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Let's face it.....the atmosphere has been on the decline for years. Noisy Garden is rare these days, and there is zero intimidation anymore. Ticket prices, premium seating for rich clients and the Garden Storm Troopers have had their effect on the crowds. Get to the semis and finals amd maybe it comes back, but I doubt anyone will ever experience the atmosphere from the 2 Game 7's in 1994 again. Last time I was there, it was like a library in a 3-0 shutout win.
I was at the 2 game 7,s last year and the atmosphere was great. I was around in 1994 and the situation was totally different and will never be repeated but for big games the atmosphere at MSG is the best!

Old
02-11-2013, 05:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
It has been on the decline and is more of a rarity but like Bickel41 said, the place will get loud for a big game. The two game 7's, especially the one against the Caps, was loud from pregame until people started leaving after the game ended.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:18 PM
broadwayblue

Exactly why I primarily have my season tickets for the playoffs. Besides opening night and a few good rivalry games, there's just not that much energy at the Garden. I've been saying it for several years now...the value proposition is just not there. I much prefer watching the average game from the comfort of my home on my 112" screen. I can eat and drink like a king and still have money left over compared to the price of a ticket and a chicken fingers and fries with a beer.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
he's sick.

He hasn't looked good for a while. How bad is he?

Old
02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I feel like the atmosphere in every building for every league is on the decline. As prices go up and up, the loud fans are getting priced out. Look at Yankee Stadium and MetLife Stadium -- two perfect examples.

But when the Rangers are going, the place will get loud. When Richards and Staal worked their magic in Game 5 against the Caps last year, the place was nuts. I will never forget how loud that game was, even Mike Francesa commented on the crowd noise the following morning.

02-11-2013, 08:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Just got tickets to the Rangers/Caps game on Sunday. It'll be my first trip to the Garden this year.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50

Madison Square Garden Wants To Light Up Facade With 77-Foot LED Signs

By Heather Holland

MIDTOWN EAST — Madison Square Garden wants the city to waive existing rules to let them double the size of their signs and cover them in LED lights — in what neighbors are calling an attempt to turn the area into Times Square.

MSG reps are asking for the right to install four 77-foot LED display panels — almost twice the size of the existing regulation-sized 40-foot signs — on four sides of arena, representatives of MSG told Community Board Five last week.

"We want to create a pedestrian-friendly experience, enhance presence as an iconic destination, and bring excitement of the interior into the exterior of the area," said Sidney Nielson, an urban designer, during the MSG presentation to Community Board Five’s Land use Committee.

The signs would display messages about MSG events, sponsorships, and would include advertisements, MSG representatives told the committee.

If approved, the massive new signs would appear on each of the escalator towers.

The plans would also replace MSG's Eighth Avenue marquee with an 18-foot-tall by 230-foot wide LED media wall that would wrap all the way around the northern and southern end of the facade, according to City Planning documents.

The application, which would ultimately have to be approved by the City Council before passing, is a part of MSG's $1 billion plan to renovate the arena's facade and to improve surrounding open spaces.

The plans also include adding more bench seating, lighting up the area outside MSG, and adding a pair of 8-foot-tall signs on pylons at both sides of the Eighth Avenue entrance of Penn Station directing MSG fans to the Seventh Avenue entrance.

MSG reps said they are confident that they are doing the right thing for the neighborhood.

"We like to pride ourselves as a good member of the community and we're very proud of that," Joel Fisher, Executive Vice President of Madison Square Garden, said in his presentation.

But the plan sparked criticism from members who say the plan is out of character with the surrounding neighborhood.

“It isn’t Times Square,” said Raju Mann, acting chair of Community Board Five’s Land use Committee. “I don’t see how it will fit into the surrounding neighborhood, with residential neighborhoods nearby and a landmarked building across the street.”

The plan has already passed the hurdle of the City Planning Commission, which found in an environmental assessment statement Dec. 12 that the proposed signage would have “no significant effect on the quality of environment.”

"Eighth Avenue is an entrance to the train stain station, not the garden, so the train station signage needs to be prominent, not advertising signage for MSG corporate partners," said Mann.

Currently the plan is still going through the ULURP process, which is expected to be completed by the end of February, said a spokeswoman for the City Planning Commission.

The proposal is currently in the 60-day community review stage of the ULURP process, and once community feedback is gathered, the plan will be presented to the Manhattan Borough President, City Council and the City Planning Commission for approval, explained Rachaele Raynoff, a spokeswoman for the CPC.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...foot-led-signs

Old
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Giacomin

Why not? Times Square South

Old
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Why not? Times Square South
Bloomberg will close it to traffic.

I doubt this moves forward. The city council are Bloombergs pawns & Bloomberg isn't a friend of the Dolans after they killed the West Side hwy stadium project & resisted the city's request to move across the street.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:29 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Not much of a "neighbor"hood. Its a commercial/financial area. Worry not about zoning issues. Light it up.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Dangleberry

All that lighting is hideous, leave it alone.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Bricho

My first game ever was when I was 13 in 1988. It was against the Flyers and it was Dave Brown's first game at MSG since being suspended for almost decapitating Tomas Sandstrom. During the national anthem someone draped from the blue seats a banner that said "Dave Brown Eat *****" and since then, the volume has come down tremendously....

Unfortunately like all sporting venues, the average fan has been priced out allowing for a more corporate environment. As ticket prices increase those who are most enthusiastic, but much meager financially, cannot attend games. It's happened in football too...Jets games are super quiet and the stadium is practically empty by the 4th quarter no matter what the score....

Old
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Does anyone know what the new scoreboard will be which should be installed after this season?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
Does anyone know what the new scoreboard will be which should be installed after this season?
Are they replacing the current one? That one is not that old.

Closed Thread