HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jose Theodore to Montreal as a backup ?

Old
11-06-2012, 07:04 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Jose Theodore to Montreal as a backup ?

What would it take ?

I know he has a NTC and is a UFA at the end of this
season.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
do not want.

bah **** it... i don't care either way

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Budaj ?

And Theodore here would just create controversy with stupid medias and french speaking players...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Intense Rage

I am thinking it will cost more than it will be worth to Montreal. Theodore was a reliable goalie for the Panthers last year and it will take an acquisition of a new goalie for him to be trade bait. Leaving that aside there will be teams that will be willing to pay a lot more than Montreal especially if they still view him as a stop gap starter.

In short not really a deal worth making for Montreal.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Beezeral

Not only does theo have a NTC. He has publicly stated he wants to finish his career in Florida

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Not only does theo have a NTC. He has publicly stated he wants to finish his career in Florida
Makes sense why would anyone want to leave Florida when their career is winding down. Just seems like the perfect place to transition into retirement.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
Makes sense why would anyone want to leave Florida when their career is winding down. Just seems like the perfect place to transition into retirement.
While I know you meant it as a mini-joke, that is the exact reason he doesn't want to leave.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:57 AM
NYVanfan

Starter for division winner or backup for nonplayoff team
Which would you choose..?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Just wait for next summer, then. If for some reason things turn out such that Budaj moves on and Theodore is on the market at a reasonable price (i.e. < $1.5M), then he might at least be an option. Although given that he didn't leave on a very positive note, I doubt he would be considered one of the better options, nor that he would consider coming to Montreal as one of his better options. Far more likely the Habs just re-sign Budaj if he's comfortable.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:10 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Starter for division winner or backup for nonplayoff team
Which would you choose..?
True, it's gonna be rough on those Panther fans to watch their team miss the playoffs after they just made it last year.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:16 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Isn't it assumed he'd waive it so Luongo could live out his dream of returning?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Thanks but... no thanks. Been there, done that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:43 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
No disrespect to Theo but why trade for a backup goalie when A. Habs already have one, B. there's always plenty available on the cheap through free agency and C. the Habs have a starter capable of 65-70 games?

Not to mention, if Theo does have a no trade why waive it to be a backup to an established young stud?

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:36 AM
palindrom

What about a trade involving Price, Theodore and one of the promising Florida young players?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
What about a trade involving Price, Theodore and one of the promising Florida young players?

With all due respect....are you nuts????

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:47 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
What? Like who?

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:50 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
What? Like who?
He better mean Huberdeau

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:59 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
He better mean Huberdeau
this is what i had in mind, or Gudbranson.

Florida would accept that because we would take the burden of receiving a flood of Luongo proposal instead of them......that is Priceless !!!

Old
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Noob616

Not really much value there to the Habs. Price is going to play so much that a pseudo-starter like Theodore won't be worth it. Not to mention the excrement storm that it would lead to in the media. Budaj is a perfectly capable backup goalie, unless we're talking about picking up Theodore for a 5th round pick it isn't worth it. You've got to imagine that the Panthers will want at least a serviceable roster player, and Theo isn't worth that to the Canadiens.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
this is what i had in mind, or Gudbranson.

Florida would accept that because we would take the burden of receiving a flood of Luongo proposal instead of them......that is Priceless !!!
Don't you guys have Markstrom who's a premier goalie prospect?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Don't you guys have Markstrom who's a premier goalie prospect?
Actually, palindrom is supposedly a Habs fan. Sigh...

He tries to trade Price in every mother flaming thread possible. I wish he would just stop posting about Price...

The Panthers probably wouldnèt do it for either of their young guys, anyway. Habs should run from any proposal palindrom suggests, it will gut our team of its most prized posession for peanuts...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:47 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Actually, palindrom is supposedly a Habs fan. Sigh...

He tries to trade Price in every mother flaming thread possible. I wish he would just stop posting about Price...

The Panthers probably wouldnèt do it for either of their young guys, anyway. Habs should run from any proposal palindrom suggests, it will gut our team of its most prized posession for peanuts...
Huberdeau or Gudbranson are not my definition of peanuts...but well, i respect your opinion.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Huberdeau or Gudbranson are not my definition of peanuts...but well, i respect your opinion.
To be fair, you are correct. Those two guys are not peanuts. In fact, Panthers fans would probably not want to include them in a deal, even for Price.

I am just put out by your constant desire to get rid of the best goalie we have had since Roy when we just signed him and we desperately need him. We have our own Huberdeau in Galchenyuk, and our own Gudbranson in Tinordi, so I don't see the point in trading away the MVP of our team and the only goalie we have of any note in our entire system for a piece we already have. It is not good asset management. Price is far more valuable to our team, and is far more established, than Huberdeau or Gudbranson.

I also think we should avoid bringing Theodore back to a city where his ties with certain biker gangs can send him back into a troubled path. Theodore should stay in the USA and avoid Montreal like the plague.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
To be fair, you are correct. Those two guys are not peanuts. In fact, Panthers fans would probably not want to include them in a deal, even for Price.

I am just put out by your constant desire to get rid of the best goalie we have had since Roy when we just signed him and we desperately need him. We have our own Huberdeau in Galchenyuk, and our own Gudbranson in Tinordi, so I don't see the point in trading away the MVP of our team and the only goalie we have of any note in our entire system for a piece we already have. It is not good asset management. Price is far more valuable to our team, and is far more established, than Huberdeau or Gudbranson.

I also think we should avoid bringing Theodore back to a city where his ties with certain biker gangs can send him back into a troubled path. Theodore should stay in the USA and avoid Montreal like the plague.
I believe I understand Palindrom reasoning, I may not agree with it on this specific issue but I understand it regardless.

I am a Blackhawks fan but if for instance I am offered an opportunity to improve my team say by dealing Johnathan Toews then I am sure to consider such an opportunity. I love Toews he is my one of my most favorite players and I have nothing against him but if he improves my team then I will take what I get for him.

Its also natural to ask people's opinions on this forum about how they view your team and specific players and what they would be willing to offer for them. This is also a forum that is pretty much entirely fantasy based, no one truly believes that Price will get dealt but that does not mean that one cannot have a discussion on the value of a player without being bashed for trying to trade them.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
palindrom

Quote:

Well, i wish the future will make you see why i want to get rid of Price.

Its not about his skill, its really about his contract and the goalies market.

My opinion is: with Price at 6 500 000$ behind the pipe, we are at a disavantage at this position. (under the last CBA at least)

Just take a look at the past stanley cup Winner finalist:

2006: Carolina - Ward (684 000$) / Edmonton - Roloson (1 672 000$)
2007: Anaheim - Giguere (3 990 000$) / Ottawa - Emery (925 000$)
2008: Detroit - Osgood (800 000$) / Pittsburg - Fleury (1 300 000$)
2009: Pittsburg - Fleury (5 000 000$ / Detroit - Osgood (1 500 000$)
2010: Chicago - Niemi (826 875$) / Philadelphia - Leighton (600 000$)
2011: Thomas (5 000 000$) / Luongo (5 333 333$)
2012: Quick (1 800 000$) / (5 200 000$)

Dont you see a trend here? since the lockout only 2 teams did make it to the final with a league top 10 paid goalie $. (Vancouver 2012 and Pittsburg in 2010, maybe Brodeur and giguere too, i didnt verify) While many of them did make it with a very cheap paid goalie.

With Price at 6 500 000$ we will probably join the rank of Calgary, Carolina, Florida (with Vokoun), Toronto (with Giguere) who didnt had any success while they gave big $ to their goalie.

Of course people will reply: Price do is best, the problem is: we dont have a good team! But by taking 6 500 000$ Price would be one of the reason we cant have a better team up front (by investing his salary elsewhere). He is paid to make up for it and make the difference by allowing us to win night after night, but will he?

Ward, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Huet, Vokoun, bryzgalov didnt make the difference despite their salary: i wonder how Price and Rinne will do now (rinne so far is not doing anything significant in the KHL).

Last edited by palindrom: 11-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.