HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Organized lockout protests - NYC

Old
11-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
Organized lockout protests - NYC

Do you guys think it'd be possible to gather enough hockey fans in Toronto and New York and stage (peaceful) protests outside the NHLPA and NHL's office one day? Of course this couldn't be a spur of the moment thing, it'd have to get media attention and enough people to want to do it for it to have any effect.

I mean I doubt it will actually have any bearing on the negotiations, but I think the message would be heard loud and clear by both sides. Thousands of angry hockey fans with inside out jerseys on (just an idea) on the Sportscenter in both countries would be an example of what we can do as fans.
The players especially need to know that the people are not all necessarily on their side as a lot of them seem to believe.

Anyone down? HF has the capability of getting things to go viral (see: Rory Fitzpatrick the all-star). These days with Twitter and Facebook its easy to spread the message.

All it would take would be one Facebook group where we all joined and invited our friends. Let guys like Mirtle, McKenzie and Wyshinski know to spread the word. Our date can be a key date before more cancellations are announced, maybe the end of this month.

I'm maybe getting a little too carried away here, but I really think there are enough upset hockey fans in those too cities (like myself) that we could get a really huge amount of people outside the offices.

We could also shamelessly promote HFBoards
I will now turn it to the masses to see what they think.

I'll start a Facebook group tomorrow afternoon and see how it goes.

Note: I've posted this thread in the main board, Rangers, Devils, Islanders and Leafs boards, in case not everyone reads the main board.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I think right now would be a bad time. With Hurricane Sandy alot of people are left powerless, gasless, maybe even homeless. Also the traffic is insane , and most methods of transportation are either packed or not working . I mean just to get gas is a difficult. You need to wait for about 2 hours to get gas. Half are either closed due to power outages, or have even run out of gas

I think its a good idea, but right now, isnt the right time

Edit: Just realized about towards the end of the month. Id possibly be down, just depending if im available on the certain day

Last edited by Devils Trap: 11-02-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:29 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Maybe wait until people aren't eating out of garbage dumpsters for their survival and wrapping children in blankets to stay warm.

Though, to be perfectly fair, from what I hear if you live outside of the NJ / NYC metro area your media is basically telling you this is just a bad flood with some minor power outages.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:45 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Maybe wait until people aren't eating out of garbage dumpsters for their survival and wrapping children in blankets to stay warm.

Though, to be perfectly fair, from what I hear if you live outside of the NJ / NYC metro area your media is basically telling you this is just a bad flood with some minor power outages.
I'm in New Mexico and I can't take the liberty to talk for areas I don't know about, but here, it's all over the news and it's presented with no less of a drama than in NJ. less, yes, but less is like not 24/7 so.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I get the local New York channels with directv. I don't even watch the Tampa/St Pete news stations, nor do I get them. They been showing ABC 7 news for an hour from 11:00 to 12:00 this week. They usually only have it for a half hour on weeknights, and then nightline at 11:30.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:36 AM
KohoDonuts88

Complete waste of time and effort. The lockout is not about the fans. There is nothing fans can do to influence the outcome of this lockout. Now, if the fans stay away in droves a la baseball post 1994, then maybe they'll think twice about letting it happen again. But for the time being, just watch and wait.

KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:37 AM
HeliDevil
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I'm in New Mexico and I can't take the liberty to talk for areas I don't know about, but here, it's all over the news and it's presented with no less of a drama than in NJ. less, yes, but less is like not 24/7 so.
Agreed with this. Shown plenty on the local news here in Phoenix. Plus it's all over the national news.

But anyway, any kind of protest will fall on deaf ears. They don't care about us, only $$$$

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:45 AM
cleaner claude

people are going to start killing eachother over gas, ny doesnt give a **** about hockey right now

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...hortages-Sandy

cleaner claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

**** the NHL and their lockout, there are serious issues going on in the state of NJ that need to be addressed first. The greedy players and owners can go screw themselves, arguing about money when they already get paid millions to play a game - while people are eating out of trash cans and picking up pieces of their demolished home.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter White View Post
Complete waste of time and effort. The lockout is not about the fans. There is nothing fans can do to influence the outcome of this lockout. Now, if the fans stay away in droves a la baseball post 1994, then maybe they'll think twice about letting it happen again. But for the time being, just watch and wait.
Exactly. The league knows the diehards will be back, and that's good enough, because hockey is a niche sport. They don't need all the casual fans to keep the league profitable once it comes back.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Chileiceman

Well I think it'd be best to put this idea on ice. I didn't mean to be insensitive to anyone's struggle and I hope that everyone's situation goes back to normal as soon as possible.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Been already said but now isn't the right time and honestly hockey is the last thing on my mind. Would be nice to see the NHL to donate some money to the Red Cross like the NBA and NFL.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:45 AM
CerebralGenesis

I will not share my money with the league for awhile after they return. That will be my protest, good thing for the internet so I won't need to whew.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Fayne Staley
NJ Senior Citizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Been already said but now isn't the right time and honestly hockey is the last thing on my mind. Would be nice to see the NHL to donate some money to the Red Cross like the NBA and NFL.

i know the yankees donated money.

unbelievable how neither the nhl or nhlpa has reached out. the only thing the nhl has done was say "hey fans, donate to the Red Cross"

i don't know why i am surprised.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
njdevil26

I know a friend in Alabama is telling me it's not getting much coverage.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Nothing against Alabama, but we've been getting plenty of coverage throughout the country. A quick scan shows we're still top of the page news on the websites of the Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Atlanta Journal-Constitution (and the Guardian in the UK).

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 265
The NJ devastation was still playing top story on CNN last night. It's in the national media spotlight and will probably continue to be as long as NYC and the public transit is affected.

I think it will run alongside the election for another week at least. Plus there's nothing bigger to push it aside really. Much like the Tornados and Joplin last year which ran for weeks until it finally was pushed aside by the debt ceiling issue if I researched that correctly.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I will not share my money with the league for awhile after they return. That will be my protest, good thing for the internet so I won't need to whew.
This is my stance as well, why should I waste my time protesting a league that I have no respect for and doesn't care about its fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
There are crews from Alabama here helping

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

In terms of coverage, what I meant in my above isnt that's it's not being covered - it clearly is.

What I meant is that per people in other parts of the country on Twitter, Facebook etc...., the coverage doesn't seem to be representative of just how BAD things really are at the Jersey shore, in NYC, and inland flooded out Jersey.

People are eating out of dumpsters (in freaking Manhattan no less), people wandering homeless, running out of food and drinking h2o, cold, lack of provisions for children, etc....

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Protest by not going to games for at least three months after the league comes back.

If the entire season is washed, then I'm not going to a game until after the 2014 Winter Classic.

I work too hard for my money to give it to a bunch of *******s who don't give any shred of a **** about me.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post

i know the yankees donated money.

unbelievable how neither the nhl or nhlpa has reached out. the only thing the nhl has done was say "hey fans, donate to the Red Cross"

i don't know why i am surprised.
This is a horrible reason for it, and I'm not saying it's an excuse, but I think that is one of the legal consequences of the lockout. Both the league and the players have severe restrictions on usage of each others' images and reputations during a lockout. They'd probably be doing more to help if there was a season.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote