HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 09:28 PM
14s incisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Tanev had 28 points in 41 games in college. Pretty sure that's considered putting up points. He has 4 less points than Kassian right now in 2 less games. Pretty sure that counts as putting up points.

I love how the names I brought up are getting ignored since it's convenient for the both of you. And don't give me that ******** about exceptions. Tanev is already an exception having had a growth spurt so late.
A lot is getting ignored...

Old
11-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Vlasic. MacDonald. Martin. That's just a few names, I could give you around 15. Just posted a few posts above yours.
Vlasic isn't one. Martin is one. Ill give you that. And not many are happy with him being in that role BTW.

Its like having Jokinen as your number one center

But hey, if you can name a few out of 120 and most of those not even being playoff teams, sounds like Tanev is a shoe in.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Vlasic isn't one.
Because of his one 30+ point season? He didn't even break 20 points in 2 of his past 3 seasons and has 6 points in 38 playoff games in that timespan.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
A lot is getting ignored...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis
I love how the names I brought up are getting ignored
Want me to name the small players in the NHL who put up big numbers, Paul Kariya, Andy Mcdonald, Ennis, Martin St Louis, Sullivan, etc etc

Schroeder's size isn't going to be a problem whatsoever. Look at all the players im naming

Old
11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Because of his one 30+ point season? He didn't even break 20 points in 2 of his past 3 seasons and has 6 points in 38 playoff games in that timespan.
Because his ability to create offense his entire career, he lit up the Q and got 2 pts in a single game before going right to the NHL. And continues to put up numbers in the NHL, have tailed off to average. That average beign way better than Tanev has his entire career

You think his shot was on par with Tanev's? LOL you think thats a black mark on Vlasic? Vlasic has a question mark on his head regarding offense?

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 11-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Want me to name the small players in the NHL who put up big numbers, Paul Kariya, Andy Mcdonald, Ennis, Martin St Louis, Sullivan, etc etc

Schroeder's size isn't going to be a problem whatsoever. Look at all the players im naming
How is that in any way the same? You picked 2 random qualities, that are in no way related and somehow determined that they're key to being a Top 4 defenseman. Not being able to handle tough competition, not having great conditioning, not being a smooth skater, not being to stand up to pressure. No, it's being strong and/or having a good shot. On what basis?

Old
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Because his ability to create offense his entire career, he lit up the Q and got 2 pts in a single game before going right to the NHL. And continues to put up numbers in the NHL, have tailed off to average. That average beign way better than Tanev has his entire career

You think his shot was on par with Tanev's? LOL
16, 18, and 23 points....

Wow, just wow.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
How is that in any way the same? You picked 2 random qualities, that are in no way related and somehow determined that they're key to being a Top 4 defenseman. Not being able to handle tough competition, not having great conditioning, not being a smooth skater, not being to stand up to pressure. No, it's being strong and/or having a good shot. On what basis?
Not just shot, im talking about his overall offensive prowess which can be strongly tied to his shot. Offensive numbers or strength/size, if you dont think lacking those two things makes it hard to reach the top 4, then i dont know what to say

Old
11-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
16, 18, and 23 points....

Wow, just wow.
Thats NHL points. Yes, Vlasic in his worst year in the NHL, is real close to Tanev's best numbers in the AHL.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:47 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Thats NHL points. Yes, Vlasic in his worst year in the NHL, is real close to Tanev's best numbers in the AHL.
A 22 year old Chris Tanev, with 54 career NHL games. Well done (slow clap).

Old
11-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
How is that in any way the same?
Im saying lacking certain important attributes makes it a hard jump to the top 4 D spots of the NHL, especially on the top team

Then you gave me a few exceptions.

Then I showed you forwards that lack 2 important attributes (size and strength) and showed you how rare it is by showing you some exceptions.

You dont see any relation whatsoever? There are players who make it through despite lacking one of the two but its not often.

Size/strength and offense for forwards is the same as size/strength and being able to generate offense from the backend for D's... If you dont have one, you need the other.

I never said it can't be done, im saying the odds are not in his favor. Given the 2 big questions marks he has. These aren't just bad decisions that are due to age, this is him not being an offensive minded D and lacking any kind of shot.

Still think he has a shot but its not as high as people are making it out to be.

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 11-26-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor

A 22 year old Chris Tanev, with 54 career NHL games. Well done (slow clap).
Not even sure what youre saying here but you were comparing a player who already had an offensive mind and dominated his lower leagues that managed to put up 20 pts in the nhl with a player who hasn't even put up great stats in the AHL and then assume hes going to put up the same numbers. The guy has and never will be offensive. You can see that hes not that type of guy if you watch him play. Even if he DID improve his shot to passable. Hes a defensive D man who is meek

Old
11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Wisp

None of your posturing changes the fact tht he's done quite well in the NHL, no matter how much you try to attribute it to other things.

Shuting top players doesn't count, I guess.

How about we agree to disagree? You're content to discard everything being said. Seems a waste of everyone's time.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
None of your posturing changes the fact tht he's done quite well in the NHL, no matter how much you try to attribute it to other things.

Shuting top players doesn't count, I guess.

How about we agree to disagree? You're content to discard everything being said. Seems a waste of everyone's time.
he has done well. really well. and im a fan of him. just like im a huge fan of lapierre but i dont get mad when people talk about his limits and how hard it might be to break through those. and yes im going to stop now. hah i need to get back to work.

i think we can agree that we all hope he becomes a great D because hes a canuck

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 11-26-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Wisp

It's just frustrating when you have such narrow standards of success.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Vlasic. MacDonald. Martin. That's just a few names, I could give you around 15. Just posted a few posts above yours.
Toni Lydman.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:20 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

This is still going on?

Old
11-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
This is still going on?
This season needs to start!

Old
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
This is still going on?
Seriously, someone please go make a different thread for comparing **** length, and leave this to prospect discussion.

Anyways, I've been lurking about on forums for our prospects' respective teams and several are in full on meltdowns. Wisconsin, Maine and Sudbury fans are going crazy.

A lot of Sudbury fans want a rebuild, and have mentioned trading Corrado to a contender. Anyone know what the chances of that happening are? Would be nice to see a prospect on a team making a push for the Mem Cup.

I also have to wonder what the Canucks brass thinks of the situation in Wisconsin, if they may subtly suggest to Labate that his development might be better handled by another organization?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
billvanseattle

Damn that was painful. just read (well scanned by the end) the last few pages looking for info about prospects and get mired in a debate by 8yr olds about whose father is tougher ....

(The vast majority of the discussion seemed to be "Is too! IS not! Is too! Is not!!"

Old
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
vanwest

Quote:

Sorry to revive this but last post I promise.

The Schroeder comparison would only be relevant if Schroeder had already played 50 plus NHL games, including the SCF, and actually looked at home playing. The fact that Tanev lost a few years in development because of his lack of size, then grew a foot and was able to step in and play seemlessly in the SCF makes him a very unique prospect.

Most defencemen only reach their potential in their mid to late 20's so it's still too early to say that Tanev won't improve his strength and shot. He's already a good passer. I don't think that he'll ever be a top offensive defenceman but it's not out of the question that he could develop into a Hamhuis type of well rounded defenceman. He still has a long way to go but his trajectory so far has been simply amazing. You can't apply the usual rules to him.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:16 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Damn that was painful. just read (well scanned by the end) the last few pages looking for info about prospects and get mired in a debate by 8yr olds about whose father is tougher ....

(The vast majority of the discussion seemed to be "Is too! IS not! Is too! Is not!!"
Was this really worth pointing out? Doesn't really accomplish anything. If you don't want to be part of the discussion, why bother posting this?

Old
11-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Jumex

Cannata has been called up to the Wolves.

Interesting move. Hardly lit it up in the ECHL.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Wisp

bill's right, we were being childish.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:38 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumex View Post
Cannata has been called up to the Wolves.

Interesting move. Hardly lit it up in the ECHL.
We have no idea what he had to deal with down there though. Will be nice to see him play with some higher calibre teammates.

Closed Thread