HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
  #526
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,030
vCash: 500
Probably a good thing for him offensively. Archibald certainly benefitted from getting 1st line minutes down there. I think the 13 games gave him a good experience and exposure to what's expected at the AHL level.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
  #527
Spanky-X-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Sawyer Hannay

Perhaps this will be filed under "who cares" but Sawyer Hannay is back in the Q. He joined the Mooseheads a few weeks back but simply skated with the team behind the scenes.

Then last week he was added to the active roster and was able to play a game (Mooseheads have 3 overagers already, but Abeltshauser was injured so a spot opened up).

The Mooseheads have now traded him, along with a 6th round pick, to Victoriaville for a 4th round pick. Blockbuster deal, I know.

Anyway, I saw the game that he played - he was a stable defensive presence. His mobility was better than last year it seemed, but that isn't saying much since it was awful before. He still has no offensive game whatsoever.

My opinion from last year remains - I don't see him ever playing in the NHL, and I think it is a stretch to envision him ever in a regular AHL role. He has size and toughness, but that's it.

Spanky-X- is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
  #528
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,103
vCash: 500
Mallet was providing some good spunk and energy, but getting some offensive minutes will be a plus for him. I'm guessing someone needed to go down in Archibald's place, as he has been performing decently since his call up.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:01 PM
  #529
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Would make sense. It may be a different story if Denmark were in the higher group.
If Denmark was still in the top group, I would expect Jensen to have been there baring an injury.

Jevo is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
  #530
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,222
vCash: 900
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...usy-off-season

The Canucks weighing in with the 26th best prospect pool in the league. My only gripe is on Tommernes being lumped together with McNally and Corrado as developing at lower levels of play, even though he's been in the SEL for almost 5 years.

Speaking of which, has he mentioned wanting to come to North America any time soon?

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
  #531
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=thefeebster;56228991
I think he could challenge for top dman on our team in pure skating drills. Hamhuis is the only one I'd hesitate at. He is really a sublime skater.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I've seen him play a lot more than one game... And yes, he's a better skater than Ballard and at least as good as Hamhuis. I don't know about straight line speed, but his backwards skating, lateral movement, pivots, etc. are some of the best out there. He's also got better balance than Hamhuis, IMO, which is hugely important for any D who is not that big.
I strongly disagree with the notion that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Ballard is a phenomenal skater. Pretty much the only great aspect of his game sadly (that and his hip checking ability.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
  #532
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
@Chicago_Wolves: BREAKING: The @VanCanucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet from the Wolves to the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings. Release to follow.

Wonder why?
Too bad, would have liked to see him stick. But realistically, after 14 games the guy doesn't have a point yet, maybe he isn't fully ready for this level of hockey. He was a late bloomer in the QMJHL, so a year at a lower level of hockey couldn't hurt. Although quite typically a player who spends time in the ECHL doesn't become much of an NHLer.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:46 PM
  #533
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I strongly disagree with the notion that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Ballard is a phenomenal skater. Pretty much the only great aspect of his game sadly (that and his hip checking ability.
Great. How many games have you seen Corrado play? He skates better backwards, he can make tighter turns, and he's quicker (able to change directions and speed at ease). Ballard's main skating is strength is his straight line speed, he's not even as good as Hamhuis at the rest of the things that make a good skater.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:48 PM
  #534
Elbows of Bure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I strongly disagree with the notion that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Ballard is a phenomenal skater. Pretty much the only great aspect of his game sadly (that and his hip checking ability.
My little sister would agree with you that Ballard is the better skater. I mean, you're right, he can skate super well...

... in One Direction.

Elbows of Bure is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
  #535
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,114
vCash: 500
I have a feeling Corrado
makes the team and I'm hoping a season gets agreed upon so Dougie Hamilton will be with Boston.

Nuck This is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 03:41 PM
  #536
Hollywood Burrows
Registered User
 
Hollywood Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: VANCOUVER
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
My little sister would agree with you that Ballard is the better skater. I mean, you're right, he can skate super well...

... in One Direction.
rack 'em

Hollywood Burrows is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
  #537
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,660
vCash: 500
I'm surprised it was Mallet and not Friesen who got sent down. Mallet has consistently been better for the Wolves IMO, even though he doesn't have a point yet. But here's hoping he gets big minutes and lights it up in K-zoo - would be great for his confidence.

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
  #538
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I'm surprised it was Mallet and not Friesen who got sent down. Mallet has consistently been better for the Wolves IMO, even though he doesn't have a point yet. But here's hoping he gets big minutes and lights it up in K-zoo - would be great for his confidence.
He's pretty raw, at least if he gets big minutes he can develop his offensive and overall game further. Seeing how much it helped Archibald, I don't think it's a bad thing for him.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
  #539
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Great. How many games have you seen Corrado play? He skates better backwards, he can make tighter turns, and he's quicker (able to change directions and speed at ease). Ballard's main skating is strength is his straight line speed, he's not even as good as Hamhuis at the rest of the things that make a good skater.
I have seen Corrado a hand full of times and his skating didn't particularly stick out to me. Moreover, you are comparing Corrado's skating to junior players (and maybe the limited amount of games he played in the AHL) so he is bound to look good - if he didn't, we would be in trouble. Ballard's skating tends to stick out at the NHL level. Huge difference.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
  #540
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I have seen Corrado a hand full of times and his skating didn't particularly stick out to me. Moreover, you are comparing Corrado's skating to junior players (and maybe the limited amount of games he played in the AHL) so he is bound to look good - if he didn't, we would be in trouble. Ballard's skating tends to stick out at the NHL level. Huge difference.
Yeah...when he's going in a straight line...

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:59 PM
  #541
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yekaterinburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Great. How many games have you seen Corrado play? He skates better backwards, he can make tighter turns, and he's quicker (able to change directions and speed at ease). Ballard's main skating is strength is his straight line speed, he's not even as good as Hamhuis at the rest of the things that make a good skater.
Okay sorry, but let me get this correct. Corrado can skate better than Keith Ballard?

Do you know how low the level is at Junior leagues compared to the bigs?

BIitz is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
  #542
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29 View Post
Okay sorry, but let me get this correct. Corrado can skate better than Keith Ballard?

Do you know how low the level is at Junior leagues compared to the bigs?
Yes, he can skate better than Keith Ballard. I've seen him play both in the AHL and the OHL. Hell, he has been to Canucks camp too. He's an exceptional skater. It's not all about straight-line speed, especially for defensemen.

If you disagree, I suggest you back it up with something. I've actually provided everyone with some break down of what he's better at in particular. I'm going to expect the same back, otherwise this is a total waste of my time (as if it isn't already). Not as if I'm alone in this — MacT thought he was an exceptional skater, thefeebster thinks he's an exceptional skater, every single scout that has ever watched him thinks he's an exceptional skater, etc.

Among other things, Ballard is horrible (not just bad, but horrible) at pivoting (in the defensive zone) — one of the most important maneuvers for any defenseman.


Last edited by Tiranis: 12-04-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
  #543
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's pretty raw, at least if he gets big minutes he can develop his offensive and overall game further. Seeing how much it helped Archibald, I don't think it's a bad thing for him.
I still think it should have been Friesen based on play or merit, but this could be a good thing in the long run anyway.

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
  #544
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29 View Post
Okay sorry, but let me get this correct. Corrado can skate better than Keith Ballard?

Do you know how low the level is at Junior leagues compared to the bigs?
The comparison might be a little far fetched, but its not an exaggeration to say Corrado already skates at an NHL level.

Wisp is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
  #545
Invictus146
Registered User
 
Invictus146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Don't think I've seen it posted yet - but the requisite http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ior-prospects/

Interesting date ha

Invictus146 is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
  #546
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,225
vCash: 500
Ballard has an explosive acceleration, making him seem like the better skater.

Quick lateral movements, fluid backward skating, and smooth transitions are much more important than forward acceleration.

Wilch is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
  #547
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yes, he can skate better than Keith Ballard. I've seen him play both in the AHL and the OHL. Hell, he has been to Canucks camp too. He's an exceptional skater. It's not all about straight-line speed, especially for defensemen.

If you disagree, I suggest you back it up with something. I've actually provided everyone with some break down of what he's better at in particular. I'm going to expect the same back, otherwise this is a total waste of my time (as if it isn't already). Not as if I'm alone in this MacT thought he was an exceptional skater, thefeebster thinks he's an exceptional skater, every single scout that has ever watched him thinks he's an exceptional skater, etc.

Among other things, Ballard is horrible (not just bad, but horrible) at pivoting (in the defensive zone) one of the most important maneuvers for any defenseman.
Keith Ballard is not a poor skater as some suggest, and is not just "good in a straight line". Hell, just last year Ballard won the Canucks Super Skills Fastest Skater Competition at 13.440 seconds. This competition requires 4 turns....

Quite frankly, I have no idea where people have got this notion that Ballard isn't a good skater. He always has been in his time in Vancouver. I guess people just think that because Ballard has been terrible and is poor decision maker that he is also a poor skater.

Like I said, the fact of the matter is that you are generally comparing Corrado's skating to junior players. Therein lies your problem.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
  #548
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
No offense to our proprietors, but Hockey Future articles are amateur hour.

Wisp is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:08 PM
  #549
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Keith Ballard is not a poor skater as some suggest, and is not just "good in a straight line". Hell, just last year Ballard won the Canucks Super Skills Fastest Skater Competition at 13.440 seconds. This competition requires 4 turns....

Quite frankly, I have no idea where people have got this notion that Ballard isn't a good skater. He always has been in his time in Vancouver. I guess people just think that because Ballard has been terrible and is poor decision maker that he is also a poor skater.

Like I said, the fact of the matter is that you are generally comparing Corrado's skating to junior players. Therein lies your problem.
4 turns? All in the same direction? Well, that settles it! Ballard is horrible at pivoting, which has been made only worse by his recurring hip problems. It's not as if I'm making this up, I just went and looked over the GDTs for the past year and Ballard's pivoting comes up at least a few times every month. He's not a shifty skater and he can't make quick turns. His overall lateral movement is above average. The fact that you keep equating good skating with speed says it all.

I'm comparing Corrado to Tanev, Sweatt and Schroeder. I've seen Tanev play next to Ballard and the rest of our defensemen.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
  #550
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,342
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Keith Ballard is not a poor skater as some suggest, and is not just "good in a straight line". Hell, just last year Ballard won the Canucks Super Skills Fastest Skater Competition at 13.440 seconds. This competition requires 4 turns....

Quite frankly, I have no idea where people have got this notion that Ballard isn't a good skater. He always has been in his time in Vancouver. I guess people just think that because Ballard has been terrible and is poor decision maker that he is also a poor skater.

Like I said, the fact of the matter is that you are generally comparing Corrado's skating to junior players. Therein lies your problem.
I don't think anyone said Ballard wasn't a good skater, we just think Corrado has better movement. Ballard winning the fastest skater competition means nothing to me, there is no lateral movement, no transitional play, pivoting etc in the fastest skater competition.

PG Canuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.