HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Probably a good thing for him offensively. Archibald certainly benefitted from getting 1st line minutes down there. I think the 13 games gave him a good experience and exposure to what's expected at the AHL level.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Spanky-X-

Sawyer Hannay

Perhaps this will be filed under "who cares" but Sawyer Hannay is back in the Q. He joined the Mooseheads a few weeks back but simply skated with the team behind the scenes.

Then last week he was added to the active roster and was able to play a game (Mooseheads have 3 overagers already, but Abeltshauser was injured so a spot opened up).

The Mooseheads have now traded him, along with a 6th round pick, to Victoriaville for a 4th round pick. Blockbuster deal, I know.

Anyway, I saw the game that he played - he was a stable defensive presence. His mobility was better than last year it seemed, but that isn't saying much since it was awful before. He still has no offensive game whatsoever.

My opinion from last year remains - I don't see him ever playing in the NHL, and I think it is a stretch to envision him ever in a regular AHL role. He has size and toughness, but that's it.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Mallet was providing some good spunk and energy, but getting some offensive minutes will be a plus for him. I'm guessing someone needed to go down in Archibald's place, as he has been performing decently since his call up.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Would make sense. It may be a different story if Denmark were in the higher group.
If Denmark was still in the top group, I would expect Jensen to have been there baring an injury.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...usy-off-season

The Canucks weighing in with the 26th best prospect pool in the league. My only gripe is on Tommernes being lumped together with McNally and Corrado as developing at lower levels of play, even though he's been in the SEL for almost 5 years.

Speaking of which, has he mentioned wanting to come to North America any time soon?

Old
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Hodgy

[QUOTE=thefeebster;56228991
I think he could challenge for top dman on our team in pure skating drills. Hamhuis is the only one I'd hesitate at. He is really a sublime skater.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I've seen him play a lot more than one game... And yes, he's a better skater than Ballard and at least as good as Hamhuis. I don't know about straight line speed, but his backwards skating, lateral movement, pivots, etc. are some of the best out there. He's also got better balance than Hamhuis, IMO, which is hugely important for any D who is not that big.
I strongly disagree with the notion that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Ballard is a phenomenal skater. Pretty much the only great aspect of his game sadly (that and his hip checking ability.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
@Chicago_Wolves: BREAKING: The @VanCanucks have reassigned center Alex Mallet from the Wolves to the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings. Release to follow.

Wonder why?
Too bad, would have liked to see him stick. But realistically, after 14 games the guy doesn't have a point yet, maybe he isn't fully ready for this level of hockey. He was a late bloomer in the QMJHL, so a year at a lower level of hockey couldn't hurt. Although quite typically a player who spends time in the ECHL doesn't become much of an NHLer.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I strongly disagree with the notion that Corrado is a better skater than Ballard. Ballard is a phenomenal skater. Pretty much the only great aspect of his game sadly (that and his hip checking ability.
Great. How many games have you seen Corrado play? He skates better backwards, he can make tighter turns, and he's quicker (able to change directions and speed at ease). Ballard's main skating is strength is his straight line speed, he's not even as good as Hamhuis at the rest of the things that make a good skater.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
My little sister would agree with you that Ballard is the better skater. I mean, you're right, he can skate super well...

... in One Direction.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Nuck This

I have a feeling Corrado
makes the team and I'm hoping a season gets agreed upon so Dougie Hamilton will be with Boston.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
My little sister would agree with you that Ballard is the better skater. I mean, you're right, he can skate super well...

... in One Direction.
rack 'em

Old
12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

I'm surprised it was Mallet and not Friesen who got sent down. Mallet has consistently been better for the Wolves IMO, even though he doesn't have a point yet. But here's hoping he gets big minutes and lights it up in K-zoo - would be great for his confidence.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I'm surprised it was Mallet and not Friesen who got sent down. Mallet has consistently been better for the Wolves IMO, even though he doesn't have a point yet. But here's hoping he gets big minutes and lights it up in K-zoo - would be great for his confidence.
He's pretty raw, at least if he gets big minutes he can develop his offensive and overall game further. Seeing how much it helped Archibald, I don't think it's a bad thing for him.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Great. How many games have you seen Corrado play? He skates better backwards, he can make tighter turns, and he's quicker (able to change directions and speed at ease). Ballard's main skating is strength is his straight line speed, he's not even as good as Hamhuis at the rest of the things that make a good skater.
I have seen Corrado a hand full of times and his skating didn't particularly stick out to me. Moreover, you are comparing Corrado's skating to junior players (and maybe the limited amount of games he played in the AHL) so he is bound to look good - if he didn't, we would be in trouble. Ballard's skating tends to stick out at the NHL level. Huge difference.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
I have seen Corrado a hand full of times and his skating didn't particularly stick out to me. Moreover, you are comparing Corrado's skating to junior players (and maybe the limited amount of games he played in the AHL) so he is bound to look good - if he didn't, we would be in trouble. Ballard's skating tends to stick out at the NHL level. Huge difference.
Yeah...when he's going in a straight line...

Old
12-04-2012, 06:59 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

Quote:
Okay sorry, but let me get this correct. Corrado can skate better than Keith Ballard?

Do you know how low the level is at Junior leagues compared to the bigs?

Old
12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29 View Post
Okay sorry, but let me get this correct. Corrado can skate better than Keith Ballard?

Yes, he can skate better than Keith Ballard. I've seen him play both in the AHL and the OHL. Hell, he has been to Canucks camp too. He's an exceptional skater. It's not all about straight-line speed, especially for defensemen.

If you disagree, I suggest you back it up with something. I've actually provided everyone with some break down of what he's better at in particular. I'm going to expect the same back, otherwise this is a total waste of my time (as if it isn't already). Not as if I'm alone in this — MacT thought he was an exceptional skater, thefeebster thinks he's an exceptional skater, every single scout that has ever watched him thinks he's an exceptional skater, etc.

Among other things, Ballard is horrible (not just bad, but horrible) at pivoting (in the defensive zone) — one of the most important maneuvers for any defenseman.

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-04-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
He's pretty raw, at least if he gets big minutes he can develop his offensive and overall game further. Seeing how much it helped Archibald, I don't think it's a bad thing for him.
I still think it should have been Friesen based on play or merit, but this could be a good thing in the long run anyway.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29 View Post

The comparison might be a little far fetched, but its not an exaggeration to say Corrado already skates at an NHL level.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Invictus146

Don't think I've seen it posted yet - but the requisite http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ior-prospects/

Interesting date ha

Old
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Ballard has an explosive acceleration, making him seem like the better skater.

Quick lateral movements, fluid backward skating, and smooth transitions are much more important than forward acceleration.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Yes, he can skate better than Keith Ballard. I've seen him play both in the AHL and the OHL. Hell, he has been to Canucks camp too. He's an exceptional skater. It's not all about straight-line speed, especially for defensemen.

If you disagree, I suggest you back it up with something. I've actually provided everyone with some break down of what he's better at in particular. I'm going to expect the same back, otherwise this is a total waste of my time (as if it isn't already). Not as if I'm alone in this MacT thought he was an exceptional skater, thefeebster thinks he's an exceptional skater, every single scout that has ever watched him thinks he's an exceptional skater, etc.

Among other things, Ballard is horrible (not just bad, but horrible) at pivoting (in the defensive zone) one of the most important maneuvers for any defenseman.
Keith Ballard is not a poor skater as some suggest, and is not just "good in a straight line". Hell, just last year Ballard won the Canucks Super Skills Fastest Skater Competition at 13.440 seconds. This competition requires 4 turns....

Quite frankly, I have no idea where people have got this notion that Ballard isn't a good skater. He always has been in his time in Vancouver. I guess people just think that because Ballard has been terrible and is poor decision maker that he is also a poor skater.

Like I said, the fact of the matter is that you are generally comparing Corrado's skating to junior players. Therein lies your problem.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Wisp

No offense to our proprietors, but Hockey Future articles are amateur hour.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Keith Ballard is not a poor skater as some suggest, and is not just "good in a straight line". Hell, just last year Ballard won the Canucks Super Skills Fastest Skater Competition at 13.440 seconds. This competition requires 4 turns....

Quite frankly, I have no idea where people have got this notion that Ballard isn't a good skater. He always has been in his time in Vancouver. I guess people just think that because Ballard has been terrible and is poor decision maker that he is also a poor skater.

Like I said, the fact of the matter is that you are generally comparing Corrado's skating to junior players. Therein lies your problem.
4 turns? All in the same direction? Well, that settles it! Ballard is horrible at pivoting, which has been made only worse by his recurring hip problems. It's not as if I'm making this up, I just went and looked over the GDTs for the past year and Ballard's pivoting comes up at least a few times every month. He's not a shifty skater and he can't make quick turns. His overall lateral movement is above average. The fact that you keep equating good skating with speed says it all.

I'm comparing Corrado to Tanev, Sweatt and Schroeder. I've seen Tanev play next to Ballard and the rest of our defensemen.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:

I don't think anyone said Ballard wasn't a good skater, we just think Corrado has better movement. Ballard winning the fastest skater competition means nothing to me, there is no lateral movement, no transitional play, pivoting etc in the fastest skater competition.

Closed Thread