HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callhee View Post
Hmm, if he was involved with that cheating scandal, I wonder if he is also expelled from Harvard or only off the team? If I were him I would turn pro now, you only get one chance at it, meanwhile you could always go back to school later in life.
They're not expelled from the school or the team:

Quote:
The Harvard College Administrative Board, known to students as the "Ad Board," is investigating. Jay Harris, the school's dean of undergraduate education, has said the likely outcomes range from exoneration or a simple admonishment to a requirement that the student take a year off.
Again, with the caveat that we're assuming this is what he's involved in. Could be something different considering everyone else involved in that scandal was dealt with earlier this year.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
All the players involved in that scandal were made to take a year off. So if that's what it is, he can return if he wants to but it would pretty much spell the end of any hockey ambitions he might have. He's 21 so he can't play junior anymore and the other options are pro leagues which would void his college hockey eligibility or taking the time off completely.
What are his options as far as transferring goes? I wonder if he could play again sooner?

Old
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
brownbello

Wow this is a pretty serious deal in terms of development. Especially when you consider the time of year, the season really just began.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Gillis puts a TON of emphasis on character, yet he has already had to run his best draft pick out of town due to Hodgson's perceived sense of entitlement and now McNally has been apparently kicked out of Harvard for cheating?

Jordan Schroeder had question marks surrounding his character coming out of the draft and has put his head down, worked extremely hard, done everything asked of him and not complained once about never getting a look at the NHL level.

Maybe judging 'character' of 17 year olds isn't such an easy thing to do. Draft skill - it never lies.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Gillis puts a TON of emphasis on character, yet he has already had to run his best draft pick out of town due to Hodgson's perceived sense of entitlement and now McNally has been apparently kicked out of Harvard for cheating?

Jordan Schroeder had question marks surrounding his character coming out of the draft and has put his head down, worked extremely hard, done everything asked of him and not complained once about never getting a look at the NHL level.

Maybe judging 'character' of 17 year olds isn't such an easy thing to do. Draft skill - it never lies.
The character thing didn't come until after the 2008 draft so I don't see what Hodgson has to do with it. I would say they made the right call between Hodgson and Beach, if we're going to spin it as a character issue.

As for McNally, he was drafted for his skill... and he showed that last season by being nominated for freshman of the year.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
brownbello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

And truth be told we really don't know the circumstances here. General rule here is to reserve judgement. All we have is a couple of tweets...

Also an argument can be made that good kids make stupid decisions, Character is now determined by how he responds.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:
During its 19-day stretch between games, a handful of players were removed from Harvard’s official roster, which was smaller Friday night than it had been at the season’s start.

“Some guys had to take a year absent,” Girard said. “I won’t say any names, but like any other team, we might have some problems with the academic scandal. Some of them just want to take leaves to get more playing time and come back later because they were younger guys. Some other guys were just injured. But overall, they’re going to come back; they’re still part of our family and still part of our team.”
Full article here:
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ook-merrimack/

Old
12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbello View Post
From CDC

Jeff Angus ‏@anguscertified
Interesting situation out of Harvard - #canucks prospect Patrick McNally has been removed from the roster due to an unknown violation.

Joe Meloni ‏@CHNJoeMeloni
Four Players Removed From Harvard's Roster - http://www.collegeho...om.php
RT @smclaughlin9: In today's Harvard Crimson, Raphael Girard hints that some of the team's recent departures are due to the cheating scandal
Max Everson, Patrick McNally and Mark Luzar have all been removed from the Harvard roster.
Lol. It only took 3 days after CDC and HF posters prodding for media to get a hold of it. What a crock. We should get some credit if they write an article. An HF shout out should be given

Quote:
They're not expelled from the school or the team:

Again, with the caveat that we're assuming this is what he's involved in. Could be something different considering everyone else involved in that scandal was dealt with earlier this year.
Some were dealt with earlier in Sept/October, but reading more about it, there are interviews with individual students to look at it on a case by case basis and the verdict for those interviews were to come in Nov 2012. McNally played his last game Nov 17, so it seems reasonable that the players removed were involved in these interviews and that the verdict came down after that. Then they were removed from the roster.

Keeping with this theory, here are his options:
Quote:
Because the accused have the option to enroll or withdraw this semester, many, especially varsity athletes, face a dilemma. If an athlete were to enroll in the semester to fight the allegations only to ultimately be found guilty and forced to withdraw, that athlete will have become ineligible for that year, wasting an already limited number of total NCAA eligible years. Should an accused athlete withdraw from the college (and thus from the season), they will still be able to use their eligibility for next year’s season. Due to the high cost of staying enrolled, it would not be surprising if many (or all) of the accused athletes decide to withdraw. As such, several varsity sports teams will be at a disadvantage this year.
Based on these quotes and what we know about McNally (and his father) wanting to stay in school, there are not many options if this is true.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:14 PM

I've just now sent a query to the Harvard Crimson, the student newspaper, which has been silent about McNally so far. FWIW I mentioned my Harvard degrees, hoping this inbred kind of navel-gazing might be put to good use for our Canuck fan cause. If anything helpful occurs, of course I'll report it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Boston newspapers get the story out first.

Edit: The actual story is what I'm trying to find out, beyond the veiled suggestions already reported in the Crimson. I imagine the McNally family is having some agonizing discussions and choices to make.

Does anyone know which CHA team has his rights?

Last edited by 701: 12-10-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Tiranis

Certainly not a lot of options. If he still plans to finish his schooling then we might as well forget about McNally as a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
I've just now sent a query to the Harvard Crimson, the student newspaper, which has been silent about McNally so far. FWIW I mentioned my Harvard degrees, hoping this inbred kind of navel-gazing might be put to good use for our Canuck fan cause. If anything helpful occurs, of course I'll report it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Boston newspapers get the story out first.

Edit: The actual story is what I'm trying to find out, beyond the veiled suggestions already reported in the Crimson. I imagine the McNally family is having some agonizing discussions and choices to make.

Does anyone know which CHA team has his rights?
CHA or CHL? He's too old for the CHL. Too old for the USHL too.

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-10-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
What are his options as far as transferring goes? I wonder if he could play again sooner?
As far as I know, if McNally were eligible to play in the USHL, he could do that for the year and then return to Harvard next season (such as teammate Stephen Michalek). Unfortunately, he's too old for the USHL so he either sits out the year or signs elsewhere and ends his college career.

I could be way off here but this is what I've gathered from reading about it for a few minutes on twitter.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Certainly not a lot of options. If he still plans to finish his schooling then we might as well forget about McNally as a prospect.

CHA or CHL? He's too old for the CHL. Too old for the USHL too.
Damn, of course you're right. Over-hopeful brain cramp

Sign with the Wolves and play in K-zoo? Though I doubt he's physically ready for pro hockey.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

Sign with the Wolves and play in K-zoo? Though I doubt he's physically ready for pro hockey.
He's the same age as Kassian. Corrado already played for the Wolves and he's two years younger.

If he isn't physically ready to play in the AHL/ECHL now, don't know when he'll ever be.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
He's the same age as Kassian. Corrado already played for the Wolves and he's two years younger.

If he isn't physically ready to play in the AHL/ECHL now, don't know when he'll ever be.
REALLY? We're not talking hockey IQ..etc we're talking physically... he can build more muscle.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

I think it's just a matter of what's best for him. I tend to agree that an extra year in college would've helped. But it's probably not the end of the world if he has to turn pro now, his offensive game is far enough along and he can learn defense at that level. I don't think he's so skinny that he'll get pushed around either.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Wouldn't he help out the Wolves' PP?

Old
arsmaster

Quote:

You ever see Nick Leddy, who played top 4 minutes for the Blackhawks last year and also played games as a 20 year old?

I call BS on both his height and weight stats from Hockeydb and NHL.com, the guys was tiny...skill wins out, usually, especially when you skate.

I just got up and looked at my THN draft preview from 2009, Leddy was listed at 5'11" and 179lbs at the draft...he played in the NHL later that spring.

Google tells me McNally is 6'2" 190lbs....I agree with Wilch, he's not done maturing, but that is plenty big enough IMO.

Old
thefeebster

Quote:

He might be the same age as Kassian, but he is light years away physically and is naturally much leaner. I'd also say Corrado is better built physically than McNally. I question that 190 number. In 2010, he was listed at 181, however when i met him, he would have to be wearing a firefighter's gear in order to weigh that amount.

That said, leaner guys have played in the AHL. If Raymond can do it, McNally can too if he is smart and plays good defense. However, therein lies the conundrum, from most viewers, they say McNally needs to play with more of a defensive focus. Together with his weaker physique, I do not think he is ready for the AHL. It would be preferable for him to be in the NCAA for at least 2 more years. But given the current theory where that is no longer an option, the AHL seems like one of the only viable options and this is my optimism speaking for a crappy situation, he would greatly help our anemic PP.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
He might be the same age as Kassian, but he is light years away physically and is naturally much leaner. I'd also say Corrado is better built physically than McNally. I question that 190 number. In 2010, he was listed at 181, however when i met him, he would have to be wearing a firefighter's gear in order to weigh that amount.

That said, leaner guys have played in the AHL. If Raymond can do it, McNally can too if he is smart and play good defense. However, therein lies the conundrum, from most viewers, they say McNally needs to play with more of a defensive focus. Together with his weaker physique, I do not think he is ready for the AHL. It would be preferable for him to be in the NCAA for at least 2 more years. But given the current theory where that is no longer an option, the AHL seems like one of the only viable options and this is my optimism speaking for a crappy situation, he would greatly help our anemic PP.
Where is the subsequent shirtless photo of McNally thefeebster? LOL

Old
12-10-2012, 08:30 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Where is the subsequent shirtless photo of McNally thefeebster? LOL
Let me go into my basement full of archived photos.

Well i could always be wrong and he could be 190lbs! That'd be very good for us. A big, strong, mobile guy who can run the Wolves PP. There's no where but up really on that PP. Hey, it could be a blessing in disguise for all parties.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Let me go into my basement full of archived photos.

Well i could always be wrong and he could be 190lbs! That'd be very good for us. A big, strong, mobile guy who can run the Wolves PP. There's no where but up really on that PP. Hey, it could be a blessing in disguise for all parties.
Can McNally pull a Schultz on us by the way? Or is his contract/status with the Canucks loophole proof?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:52 PM
timw33

Quote:
Can McNally pull a Schultz on us by the way? Or is his contract/status with the Canucks loophole proof?
This is a weird situation, but I believe we have his rights until August 15th of his last NCAA season, but I'm not sure what that means if he takes a year off and goes back to the NCAA (he can't go back to the NCAA if he plays in the AHL, ECHL or CHL btw).

Old
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
StrictlyCommercial

If he plans to go back to College, one would expect him to sign in the USHL. If not, ECHL or AHL.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Based on the past CBA and if it did continue, he could because he was 18 when we drafted him, chose to play in juniors for one more year, which indicates that the team has 4 years to June 1 from the year he was drafted to sign him or they lose his rights.

This is what i am working from:
Quote:
In the expiring collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and the NHL Players Association, section C of Article 8.6 states the following:
"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft."
But this stuff is tricky for me and this situation makes it even trickier. So take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
If he plans to go back to College, one would expect him to sign in the USHL. If not, ECHL or AHL.
Too old. He is already 21 and the USHL age limit is 20. If he was eligible for the USHL, i think he would have signed to a team by now.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Cocoa Crisp

This might account for McNally's drop-off in production this season. Tough thing to have hanging over your head and still perform on the ice.

Closed Thread