HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Yeah, now that he no longer plays for a NCAA team, was wondering if we can secure him before he potentially bails on us.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Yeah, now that he no longer plays for a NCAA team, was wondering if we can secure him before he potentially bails on us.
LOL, so we're jumping to the fact it's a foregone conclusion?

Old
12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
LOL, so we're jumping to the fact it's a foregone conclusion?
My bad, assuming it's the case.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
He's officially withdrawn from Harvard, so we would do well to get him signed to an AHL contract if that's the path he wants to take, not sure about the USHL's rules, he could go there too.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:06 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
He's officially withdrawn from Harvard, so we would do well to get him signed to an AHL contract if that's the path he wants to take, not sure about the USHL's rules, he could go there too.
Have to be 20 or under for USHL.

He's 21.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

I think the only realistic option left for him if he wants to pursue a career in hockey is to sign with the Chicago Wolves. If the earlier reports were true; the worst punishment doled out was a year off from Harvard, which means he could return to finish his degree during summers.

Schneider was around his age when he left Boston College, he eventually finished his degree while still pursuing a successful hockey career. I definitely see no down side to signing with Chicago from McNally's POV.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:44 AM
arsmaster

Do we have the definitive proof he can't "Schultz" us?

Old
12-11-2012, 12:50 AM

The Harvard Crimson replied to my McNally question in a very prompt and thoughtful manner.

The Harvard sophomore / Canucks fan who responded did not give any new information directly. However, the vibe I'm getting from a fellow Harvard guy is that McNally is in trouble, he may have "withdrawn from the college" (not only from the hockey team) . . . and thus he may soon begin his pro career.

The Crimson:

My name is Alex Koenig '14 and I'm the incoming sports chair, the men's hockey beat writer and a Canucks fan. In response to your inquiry about Patrick McNally and other members of the hockey team, all I can say right now is that a number of students--some of which are on athletic teams--have recently withdrawn from the college and that we're planning out how we are going to cover the situation long term. As far as McNally goes, we have no information one way or the other about whether or not he was implicated beyond what was published in the third section (titled "Missing in Action") of this article.

As a Canucks fan, I can tell you that he is as good (or better) as advertised.

All the Best,
Alex Koenig

Thoughts?

Old
12-11-2012, 01:27 AM
thefeebster

With Farhan and these implications from others, i think we can safely say he withdrew from school at least for the semester/year. But otherwise, there is still no confirmation as to the reason, just our speculation. But i am happy to hear his take on McNally's performance.

Even though this situation is not ideal or the path we thought he'd take, it could be a promising alternative for him and the Canucks/Wolves if he decides to take the Pro route. He'd get a chance to play more games, get used to the small ice/pro game, and maybe find success on the PP. Maybe this causes a logjam on D, but hey, Arniel/Baumer could always use their eyes for once and send down Sauve.

The worst case scenario is him not playing anywhere and waiting this out. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Hmmm... based on that excerpt i quoted, i think we still retain his exclusive negotiating rights until the 4th year after his draft which would be June 1, 2014. So i don't think he has that option atm, as it has only been 2 years and a few months. Schultz was able to because he played one more year in the BCHL and 3 years at Wisconsin.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:36 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Well,

He's no Schultz

Last edited by jigsaw99: 12-11-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 05:17 AM
BomaLightDevils

A link to Niklas Jensen goal..

http://www.elitserienplay.se/video.2024833355001

Old
12-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Eighteen

Kristian Huselius has signed a contract with AIK, maybe we'll see him in the same line as Jensen from now on.

Last edited by Eighteen: 12-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 09:53 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
The Harvard Crimson replied to my McNally question in a very prompt and thoughtful manner.

The Harvard sophomore / Canucks fan who responded did not give any new information directly. However, the vibe I'm getting from a fellow Harvard guy is that McNally is in trouble, he may have "withdrawn from the college" (not only from the hockey team) . . . and thus he may soon begin his pro career.

The Crimson:

My name is Alex Koenig '14 and I'm the incoming sports chair, the men's hockey beat writer and a Canucks fan. In response to your inquiry about Patrick McNally and other members of the hockey team, all I can say right now is that a number of students--some of which are on athletic teams--have recently withdrawn from the college and that we're planning out how we are going to cover the situation long term. As far as McNally goes, we have no information one way or the other about whether or not he was implicated beyond what was published in the third section (titled "Missing in Action") of this article.

As a Canucks fan, I can tell you that he is as good (or better) as advertised.

All the Best,
Alex Koenig

Thoughts?
Cool thanks for looking into that!

Old
12-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomaLightDevils View Post
That was sick. The deke, the release...wow.

And nice Detective work on the McNally front, guys - I'm constantly amazed by the info some of the people here are able to dig up.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

I won't get into the character aspect of things, because it's pointless until we know more.

What concerns me about McNally is that he seems to be in no-man's-land as far as his career goes. There aren't any viable lower levels for him to play at before heading to the wolves, and I think he needs that 1 year bridge before the AHL.

As someone previously mentioned, I think the best route might be Europe for a half season, Jensen style. He can work on the defensive side of his game against big, but less skilled opponents and he'll have big ice to keep his puck rushing and offensive skills sharp.

Time will tell, but this next move could very well make or break his career in hockey.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
PRNuck

At WJC camp now, frankies group just finished. Man alive he's silky smooth. Terrible blackberry photos to come later! Just saw gord miller's chins #subtlebrag

Old
12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
At WJC camp now, frankies group just finished. Man alive he's silky smooth. Terrible blackberry photos to come later! Just saw gord miller's chins #subtlebrag
How he'd look compared to other defenseman?

Old
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Team Red is an impressive group too, is his skating sticking out more than others?

Cheers

Old
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
thedavid

vCash: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
I won't get into the character aspect of things, because it's pointless until we know more.

What concerns me about McNally is that he seems to be in no-man's-land as far as his career goes. There aren't any viable lower levels for him to play at before heading to the wolves, and I think he needs that 1 year bridge before the AHL.

As someone previously mentioned, I think the best route might be Europe for a half season, Jensen style. He can work on the defensive side of his game against big, but less skilled opponents and he'll have big ice to keep his puck rushing and offensive skills sharp.

Time will tell, but this next move could very well make or break his career in hockey.
If he were to sign a contract with the Wolves, they could assign him to the K-Wings, no? Just like they did with Jeremie Blain? I'd be happy if he got some time there until he earns a call-up. As has been said before, he's got to be at least a better option than Sauve at the moment.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighteen View Post
Kristian Huselius has signed a contract with AIK, maybe we'll see him in the same line as Jensen from now on.
I sure hope so, Huselius should help boost both Jensen's goals and assist totals.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:00 PM
lush
@jasonlush

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/113865

Sawyer Hannay fight from a few nights ago

Old
12-11-2012, 02:22 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
How he'd look compared to other defenseman?
He looked like he belonged.

Quote:
Team Red is an impressive group too, is his skating sticking out more than others?

Cheers
I'd say so. Not like, far and away the best, but I would lump in with the upper echelon of skaters. Unfortunately I showed up late so I only saw half of his group's session. I mostly watched him during it; he missed one breakout pass in drills, but other than that looked really good. You could tell he was trying to stand out, he was by far the most vocal player from either practice, and he was buddy buddying a lot with the other D-men (Dumba and Hamilton in particular), didn't see any pal'ing around like that in the other group's practice. When the session was over he went over to the coach and was picking his brain about stuff, didn't see anyone else do that either.

Other observations (keep in mind I'm probably not impartial and these are tinted with Canuck homer glasses):
-Frankie was paired with Reinhart in drills with organized lines. Compared to Corrado, Reinhart looked like Hal Gill, mobility wise. He's a monster though, holy hell. Not to say he sucks, just lumbering compared to Frankie.
-Dumba is so small and unremarkable. He was leading the stretches at the end of the first session, but I noticed the coaches didn't appoint anyone to the lead the stretches in the second session, so I'm thinking maybe he just stepped up to try and get noticed.
-The line of Huberdeau/Nugent Hopkins/Scheifele is just not fair. They're going to be ridiculous.
-Boone Jenner is awesome.
-Far and away the worst player there was Matt Pelech, his skating was so bad. I was shocked he even made it to OHL skating like that.
-Oulette has a really nice shot and put a lot of pucks in the net, but his passing was spotty.
-I really liked Harrington and Sproul, very good looking D men.
-It's too bad Ryan Murphy's got an in on this team, because there's 5 or 6 other guys there who move the puck just as well and are much bigger and can actually defend.

I'll check my pics now and see if any are worth posting.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:28 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
He looked like he belonged.

I'd say so. Not like, far and away the best, but I would lump in with the upper echelon of skaters. Unfortunately I showed up late so I only saw half of his group's session. I mostly watched him during it; he missed one breakout pass in drills, but other than that looked really good. You could tell he was trying to stand out, he was by far the most vocal player from either practice, and he was buddy buddying a lot with the other D-men (Dumba and Hamilton in particular), didn't see any pal'ing around like that in the other group's practice. When the session was over he went over to the coach and was picking his brain about stuff, didn't see anyone else do that either.

Other observations (keep in mind I'm probably not impartial and these are tinted with Canuck homer glasses):
-Frankie was paired with Reinhart in drills with organized lines. Compared to Corrado, Reinhart looked like Hal Gill, mobility wise. He's a monster though, holy hell. Not to say he sucks, just lumbering compared to Frankie.
-Dumba is so small and unremarkable. He was leading the stretches at the end of the first session, but I noticed the coaches didn't appoint anyone to the lead the stretches in the second session, so I'm thinking maybe he just stepped up to try and get noticed.
-The line of Huberdeau/Nugent Hopkins/Scheifele is just not fair. They're going to be ridiculous.
-Boone Jenner is awesome.
-Far and away the worst player there was Matt Pelech, his skating was so bad. I was shocked he even made it to OHL skating like that.
-Oulette has a really nice shot and put a lot of pucks in the net, but his passing was spotty.
-I really liked Harrington and Sproul, very good looking D men.
-It's too bad Ryan Murphy's got an in on this team, because there's 5 or 6 other guys there who move the puck just as well and are much bigger and can actually defend.

I'll check my pics now and see if any are worth posting.
Thanks.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Tiranis

Thanks, PRNuck! Hoping that Corrado makes it. I guess his main competition are Dumba and Sproul, maybe Murphy too (depends on whether they were serious about not giving him an inside track).

I guess I could also see him get in over Reinhart given its a big ice tournament and Corrado seems capable of playing both sides.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
PRNuck

Proof that he's there (18 in black):

Frankie taking a shot at the far end:

The arena is breathtaking. You can peek in at their weight room too, so cool. I'm 95% sure those two specks in the upper level were MacT and Kevin Lowe.

Farting around with Dumba:

Closed Thread