HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Boom or Bust prospects

Old
11-06-2012, 11:39 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Is Sam Gagner a bust to this point, for example? Brian Little? Because to me that is what I expect a player like Strome to become even if he doesn't develop into a high-end player. Not absolute worst case scenario, but I don't think it is likely at all that he ends up worse than those two. And I absolutely do not consider that to be a bust.
If a prospect turns into a top 6 player than I never consider them a bust, unless its a first overall type who barely becomes a 20 goal scorer.

However in most cases if a guy becomes a useful NHLer I dont think theyre a bust. Kassian may become a really good third line tough guy with a little offense. Some may consdier that a bust, but when you say boom or bust I think the definition changes.

Boom or bust implies theyre either a really good, top 6 type player or they cant play in the NHL at all. While Kassian may be a bust as a third or fourth liner, he can still be useful and isnt a boom or bust type prospect

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
Matt Puempel -- Bust
Tyler Toffoli -- Bust
Shane Prince -- Boom
Cody Ceci -- Boom
Tyler Graovac -- Boom

Those are players I've seen over 50 times in my life and my thoughts

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:52 PM
MBauer

Pulkkinen was the definition of boom or bust, especially a few years ago, now there is not much if any hope for him to make it in the nhl.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:01 AM
punk_o_holic

Opinions on Calvin de Haan? Will he be a boom or a bust?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:23 AM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
If a prospect turns into a top 6 player than I never consider them a bust, unless its a first overall type who barely becomes a 20 goal scorer.

However in most cases if a guy becomes a useful NHLer I dont think theyre a bust. Kassian may become a really good third line tough guy with a little offense. Some may consdier that a bust, but when you say boom or bust I think the definition changes.

Boom or bust implies theyre either a really good, top 6 type player or they cant play in the NHL at all. While Kassian may be a bust as a third or fourth liner, he can still be useful and isnt a boom or bust type prospect
I completely agree with you but I wonder if others disagree. While I do think that Strome has his work cut out for him to meet expectations I just don't see how he won't be at least a second-third liner in the NHL at the end of the day. But that's just me.

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:04 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
If Kuznetsov never comes over he is a bust right?

I actually think there is a pretty good chance of him never coming depending on the next CBA.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:12 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post

Right or wrong a lot of times when you swap young players or picks that becomes a factor as well. Kassian was traded for a pretty good young player himself, one that I don't think is near the project he is. I think that will play heavily into how Kassian is judged. If Hodgson tears it up in Buffalo his task gets that much harder.

Even if I agree with the thought process of making the NHL and being solid there for a while excuses you from being a bust. There are factors that sway public perception. In my opinion Kassian has a lot of dangerous elements where he could unfortunately wear this label especially in the Vancouver fanbase.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:20 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
what is the definition of bust? because for me to bust means your are not a regular NHL player. If Kassian became a 30 point 3rd liner who plays physical I wouldnt consider than a bust. Is he a boom if he puts up 55 points?
I think it depends on where your picked a player in the top 5 only becoming a 4th line player is a bust to me. but once you get beyond that I agree there almost needs to be a 3rd term Boom being meeting or exceeding expectation, something in the middle where a guy is an NHL talent and a bust a guy who never plays any amount of games.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
typical habs fan...
grigorenko = bust

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:49 AM
kp61c

Quote:
Nikita Kucherov - Size and Russian factor
Would you care to elaborate?

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:09 AM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
Would you care to elaborate?
Well he's not the absolute smallest, but he's still on the smaller size.
No matter if they come to North America or not, Russian factor still applies. Alexander Radulov was a waste of a pick for Nashville. He's likely done with the NHL after only 172 total games played in the NHL. So we never really know, but I do believe in players like Yakupov,Tarasenko and Grigorenko having long NHL careers.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Well he's not the absolute smallest, but he's still on the smaller size.
No matter if they come to North America or not, Russian factor still applies. Alexander Radulov was a waste of a pick for Nashville. He's likely done with the NHL after only 172 total games played in the NHL. So we never really know, but I do believe in players like Yakupov,Tarasenko and Grigorenko having long NHL careers.
Only problem holding Radulov back is he's attitude. I've met him and can say that dude ain't any humble at all, he's like little kid whose only thinking of himself, nothing else matters to him than he's own arse. Man i hate that guy.

Would you want that guy on your team? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQ56Dp0iB0

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:25 AM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Only problem holding Radulov back is he's attitude. I've met him and can say that dude ain't any humble at all, he's like little kid whose only thinking of himself, nothing else matters to him than he's own arse. Man i hate that guy.

Would you want that guy on your team? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQ56Dp0iB0
Yea, I was only using Radulov as an example for Russian players who come to North America, but still end up bolting back to Russia.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

Is Patrik Stefan the ultimate example for a bust prospect?

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:47 AM
casg11

Alan Quine=Boom

casg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:15 AM
scout46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigorenko View Post
Is Patrik Stefan the ultimate example for a bust prospect?
Yep, he would rank right up there with Alexander Daigle and Pavel Brendl

scout46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:05 AM
SmellOfVictory

The Big Jankowski. I predict he will boom like a cruise missile.

Derrick Pouliot: bust.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
P10p

Tyler Graovac is looking like a big boom this year. Previous high in goals and points was 10g and 27p. Hes at 18g and 25p already this yr in 17 games. Also, he is leading the OHL in goals.

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM
tsujimoto74

Gauthier-Leduc fits the bill from the Sabres pool. Had insane offensive numbers in jr., but he has a long way to go to become an NHL player. Shame he's been injured because I was looking forward to seeing how his game would translate to the AHL.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Gauthier-Leduc fits the bill from the Sabres pool. Had insane offensive numbers in jr., but he has a long way to go to become an NHL player. Shame he's been injured because I was looking forward to seeing how his game would translate to the AHL.
I doubt that Gauthier-Leduc will be able to translate his style into the huge leagues. The dude has a powerful shot for a junior, but pro goalies can stop these easily. I cannot see anything else he's doing way better than another offensive Dman..

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:29 PM
tony d
The man

Boom: Grigorenko
Bust: De Haan

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:37 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by casg11 View Post
Alan Quine=Boom
don't see how he's boom or bust with his skating

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post

I think even if he doesnt play a single game in the NHL he cant be a bust considering he was a 3rd round draft pick.

I am starting to believe that the only way you can be a bust is if your a 1st or maybe 2nd round draft pick.

Last edited by 1972: 11-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
BeefWellington
Enjoy the ment.

Bust: Armia

Boom: Coyle

Bust: Girgensons

Boom: Pouliot

BeefWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronCat View Post
Bust: Armia

Boom: Coyle

Bust: Girgensons

Boom: Pouliot
Armia wouldnt suprise me, Girgensons is doing quite well in a stacked AHL as an 18 year old so I cant see him not becoming a regular NHL player, not to mention he is elite defensively already.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote