Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XX-Time for Rebuilding

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Jeff from Maine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
Yes, Jays will be much better but on csnne buttom scroll news just said the Sox are interested in Jason Bay. ugg.
I dont mind Jason Bay one bit.

1. He is NOT getting a big contract....1 yr 3 or so mil tops.
2. He is a high character guy, which this team needs to get back to.
3. He is not going to be a 150 start guy....great way to work Bryce Brentz into the majors in a platoon situation.
4. He reportedly would very much welcome a return to Boston.

Worst case? He doesnt work out and your out 3 mil. No huge deal.

Later

Old
11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

I am all for Hamilton. Losers can spend a lot foolishly as we saw, but bottom line is winners spend lots of money. They need star players, androle players both. They have to start somewhere and I think Hamilton is a good place to start. I dont worry about the addiction but I do worry about premature age. Still, it is worth a shot. Will they attempt, probably not since Henry is losing so much money, but I would like to see it.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Jeff from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Marlins wanted Doubront, Middlebrooks, and Bogaerts as for Reyes, Johnson etc.

Good luck to the Jays cause that's ridiculous
Where did you hear that? Everything I heard was Doubront, ONE of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks, Salty and another prospect.

Later

Old
11-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Jeff from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
My opinion on bogaerts is that he shouldn't be involved in any deal unless a young ace starting pitcher is coming back. Felix hernandez is really the only guy I have in mind. But an outfielder who has only hit in the NL? Too many variables, too much risk. Watch what happens in the entry level draft, there are a couple great outfielders that could be available in meadows, Frazier and wilson. In a couple years any of those guys could give the sox comparable stats to what Stanton can put up. I'm ready to mail in 2013 and wait for the future which seems very bright. Bogaerts, Barnes, bradley, Webster, ranaudo, marrero, swigart..etc.
Whats the issue with that?

Lincecum...Kershaw...Halliday...Lee...Cain...Carpe nter...Hamels...

There are just as many great pitchers in the NL as there are in the AL....probably more in fact. And there is less line-up protection in the NL.

Here is what I think.....we KNOW what Stanton has done on the biggest stage in the world. We THINK we know what Bogaerts, Bradley, Middlebrooks and Brentz MIGHT do in the majors.

Later

Old
11-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Mione134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine View Post
Where did you hear that? Everything I heard was Doubront, ONE of Bogaerts or Middlebrooks, Salty and another prospect.

Later
It was on NESN. Just google it.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

Later
peter gammons at pgammo or something close to that tweeted yesterday Boston would have had to give up Boegarts, Middlebrooks, and Doubront in the deal

Old
11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
GM: Red Sox to have large payroll

Quote:
"It's harder to predict this offseason than it has been in previous offseasons because in previous offseasons we've been closer to that, closer to where we'll end up," Cherington said in an interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "Especially last offseason, when we were making more cosmetic changes.

"I know that we'll have a very strong payroll, a large payroll. I know that we're going to add to it this winter. I'm confident in saying that we'll be amongst the larger payrolls in the game. Exactly where it ends up, exactly what rank we are, I don't know that yet. I think it just depends on what we do. We're not going to shoot for an arbitrary payroll number just to say that we're going to get to this. We just have to look at each opportunity as it comes and figure out whether it's the right thing for the Red Sox."
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...arger-payrolls

Old
11-15-2012, 07:26 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
I thought it was a given that we'd have a large payroll. This franchise is rolling in the $, it would be a big **** you to the fans not to with how much we pay in tickets/merchandise etc.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
yea im just concerned about how we are going to get to a large payroll.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
yea im just concerned about how we are going to get to a large payroll.
I'm not sure if they are dumb enough to get us back in the mess we were in before the Dodger's trade. Foolish overspending is over hopefully.

Old
11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Whats the issue with that?

Lincecum...Kershaw...Halliday...Lee...Cain...Carpe nter...Hamels...

There are just as many great pitchers in the NL as there are in the AL....probably more in fact. And there is less line-up protection in the NL.

Here is what I think.....we KNOW what Stanton has done on the biggest stage in the world. We THINK we know what Bogaerts, Bradley, Middlebrooks and Brentz MIGHT do in the majors.

Later
Lincecum is a Poor example this year but it kind of proves my point. Those pitchers are "great" because of the lineups they face. The NL on the whole has weaker lineups which lead to inflated pitching staffs. Look at CC sabathias stats in milwaukee. Stanton hasnt had to face deep rotations in the NL, more often than not hitters have a difficult time adjusting to the AL.

Also compared to what the jays have up, bogaerts, middlebrooks and salty was way more value then Henderson Alvarez and company. If that's what the marlins wanted from the sox, it's obvious they lowered their price for toronto

Old
11-16-2012, 12:12 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
I dont mind Jason Bay one bit.

1. He is NOT getting a big contract....1 yr 3 or so mil tops.
2. He is a high character guy, which this team needs to get back to.
3. He is not going to be a 150 start guy....great way to work Bryce Brentz into the majors in a platoon situation.
4. He reportedly would very much welcome a return to Boston.

Worst case? He doesnt work out and your out 3 mil. No huge deal.

Later
Signings like him will keep the Sox out in the wilderness indefinetly. I was a huge Jason Bay fan and was PO'D when he wasn't resigned but 3 years removed and numerous injuries later and all I can say is "Thanks for the memories". Signings like that never work out and 3 millions dollars that's not your money is wasted.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Gotta get a better starting and relief rotations. We aren't going anywhere with the current pitching staff... our offense is good enough as it is to get into the playoffs. I'd like to see us add two solid starters, a closer, a spot starter/long relief pitcher, and one big hitter ( Hamilton ).

Old
11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Gotta get a better starting and relief rotations. We aren't going anywhere with the current pitching staff... our offense is good enough as it is to get into the playoffs. I'd like to see us add two solid starters, a closer, a spot starter/long relief pitcher, and one big hitter ( Hamilton ).
Andrew Bailey isn't a closer? The guy pitched 15 innings at the end of the year, and aside from 2 horrible outings, he was very effective.

We don't need a closer.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409620

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.

Jeesus the Jays arent screwing around anymore

Old
11-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409620

Text Size
The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.

Jeesus the Jays arent screwing around anymore
Good signing, not really a huge gamble at 2 years

Old
11-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Good signing, not really a huge gamble at 2 years
Not at all. Last I heard, there were posters here who wanted to spend 9 per over 3 years on Ross. I like him...just not quite that much.

11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Andrew Bailey isn't a closer? The guy pitched 15 innings at the end of the year, and aside from 2 horrible outings, he was very effective.

We don't need a closer.
I would rather have a guy who isn't a question mark physically and has a more proven track record.

If and when Bailey gets injured again, would you be confident in trotting out the same crop of relief pitchers who blew 22 saves ( saving 35, one of the lowest in the league ) last year? We had the 4th worst save percentage and 3rd most blown saves in the league.

Last edited by VeddarRants: 11-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 01:26 PM
kman22

Nice addition, even if he can't get his average back to where it was last year, as a bottom half of the lineup guy, he could be helpful.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
kman22

Quote:
I would rather have a guy who isn't a question mark physically and has a more proven track record.

If and when Bailey gets injured again, would you be confident in trotting out the same crop of relief pitchers who blew 22 saves ( saving 35, one of the lowest in the league ) last year? We had the 4th worst save percentage and 3rd most blown saves in the league.
To address the second part, yes. Absolutely. I have a lot of confidence in Tazawa, whether Bailey is healthy or not.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
24giovanni

[QUOTE=kman22;55812401 I have a lot of confidence in Tazawa, [/QUOTE]

Personally, I think he will be our closer.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:42 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
To address the second part, yes. Absolutely. I have a lot of confidence in Tazawa, whether Bailey is healthy or not.
The guy who has 1 career save and has been often injured in his three seasons in the league? To me, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. He has promise, but to intrust him as the fail safe to Bailey going down again is a gamble. It is a house of cards setup. I'd rather trade for a top end closer, and have Bailey and Taz be setup guys and split spot closer duties.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
kman22

Quote:
The guy who has 1 career save and has been often injured in his three seasons in the league? To me, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. He has promise, but to intrust him as the fail safe to Bailey going down again is a gamble. It is a house of cards setup. I'd rather trade for a top end closer, and have Bailey and Taz be setup guys and split spot closer duties.
Who would you consider a top end closer, and why would they be traded? Honestly, that would be one of the last positions on a baseball team that I would want to trade for. You get 70-80 innings out of the guy at the most, if your team is good. Unless you are giving up spare (expendable) parts or bullpen arms and bullpen prospects, why would you trade for a closer?

Especially when you have 3 potential closers (Bailey, Melancon, Tazawa) in addition to Bard if he can return to form.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
Who would you consider a top end closer, and why would they be traded? Honestly, that would be one of the last positions on a baseball team that I would want to trade for. You get 70-80 innings out of the guy at the most, if your team is good. Unless you are giving up spare (expendable) parts or bullpen arms and bullpen prospects, why would you trade for a closer?

Especially when you have 3 potential closers (Bailey, Melancon, Tazawa) in addition to Bard if he can return to form.
I'm not sure who's available... I do know that it ( along with starting pitching ) should be a priority instead of focusing on offense which most here seem to be inclined to do.

We did trade for a closer last season in Bailey, which at the time was a gamble because of his injury history that ended up getting longer after the season was over. Most, if not all the best teams in the league have strong closing and relief rotations, historically and currently. Ours is a joke hanging on the promise of guys who might be healthy or might return to form. If we want to get back to being a baseball power house, we need a much better pitching rotation.

Old
11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
kman22

Quote:
I'm not sure who's available... I do know that it ( along with starting pitching ) should be a priority instead of focusing on offense which most here seem to be inclined to do.

We did trade for a closer last season in Bailey, which at the time was a gamble because of his injury history that ended up getting longer after the season was over. Most, if not all the best teams in the league have strong closing and relief rotations, historically and currently. Ours is a joke hanging on the promise of guys who might be healthy or might return to form. If we want to get back to being a baseball power house, we need a much better pitching rotation.
I wholeheartedly agree they need better starting pitching, but I don't think the bullpen is as big a need. You can gamble on guys like Soria, Broxton, Madson, but they all have risks. The top teams have strong bullpens, but most of them are built from within. It's easier to trade for quality bullpen arms that are not closers. So you could improve the bullpen, but I think that's further down my list of needs than starters.

Closed Thread