Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 09:34 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I've always had an irrational loathing for Gomes. Probably unfair to judge without knowing him but he doesn't exactly seem like a clubhouse guy...

10/2 for a guy who made 1M and put up pedestrian numbers with crap defense makes no sense to me.
so you really don't know a thing about him but you felt like commenting anyway.

as was said before me, gomes is considered one of the better clubhouse guys in baseball and put up an .868 ops in the 99 games he played. signing him without breaking the bank is something that smart teams do.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
24giovanni

The Red Sox and Mariners continue pursuing free agent catcher Mike Napoli, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter). Napoli is holding out for a fourth guaranteed year from Boston, and he's meeting with the Mariners, who might be willing to commit for the extra year.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:42 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
The Red Sox and Mariners continue pursuing free agent catcher Mike Napoli, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter). Napoli is holding out for a fourth guaranteed year from Boston, and he's meeting with the Mariners, who might be willing to commit for the extra year.
Hopefully he compromises and takes 3 years. Would love to have him, but 4 years is a bit much.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
24giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
Hopefully he compromises and takes 3 years. Would love to have him, but 4 years is a bit much.
Or 3 and an option of some sort.

Old
11-22-2012, 06:50 PM
CDJ*

Do you guys go for that 4th year on Napoli?

I think I do personally...Don't know why though. Just a hunch he will perform.

Obviously depends on the numbers...maybe 4/28?

Old
11-22-2012, 07:03 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
so you really don't know a thing about him but you felt like commenting anyway.

as was said before me, gomes is considered one of the better clubhouse guys in baseball and put up an .868 ops in the 99 games he played. signing him without breaking the bank is something that smart teams do.
He's a platoon player who never lived up to expectations from his rookie year and he just got 10M over two years.

I appreciate the bargain-seeking mindset, but you're cherry-picking stats with his OPS from last year.

As for his clubhouse status, you don't seem to have any firsthand information, so you're being disagreeable for the sake of it. I admitted in my post that it was irrational. Gomes was "that guy" who, as a fan of teams opposing his, it was so easy to hate for years. It's a bit jarring that he ended up with the Sox, that's all.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:05 PM
24giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Do you guys go for that 4th year on Napoli?

I think I do personally...Don't know why though. Just a hunch he will perform.

Obviously depends on the numbers...maybe 4/28?
He just made $9.4 million so I think it might be more like 4 for 40 to 44 million for what he is looking for.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Mancini0518

The fact that Napoli would go to a team like Seattle over 1 year tells me that he isn't the type of player that the Sox want anyways.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:18 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
The fact that Napoli would go to a team like Seattle over 1 year tells me that he isn't the type of player that the Sox want anyways.
I think it's more of a ploy, hoping that the Red Sox will panic and pony up the extra year. We will have to wait and see if Ben Cherington caves.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:19 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
He's a platoon player who never lived up to expectations from his rookie year and he just got 10M over two years.

I appreciate the bargain-seeking mindset, but you're cherry-picking stats with his OPS from last year.

As for his clubhouse status, you don't seem to have any firsthand information, so you're being disagreeable for the sake of it. I admitted in my post that it was irrational. Gomes was "that guy" who, as a fan of teams opposing his, it was so easy to hate for years. It's a bit jarring that he ended up with the Sox, that's all.
High expectations? He was an 18th round pick. Never was he a top prospect.

I just think you have an unjustifiable hatred for him and are talking out of your ass. But that is just my mere expectations.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:22 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
He just made $9.4 million so I think it might be more like 4 for 40 to 44 million for what he is looking for.
He signed that 1 year, 9.4 million dollar deal after he hit 30 homers and .320

He had a pretty significant decline in production. I doubt he fetches 9 per, but I am wrong a lot so we will see.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
EverettMike

All reports on Gomes is that he is a great clubhouse guy.

So what side of this "debate" is being disagreeable for the sake of argument?

Old
11-22-2012, 07:50 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
High expectations? He was an 18th round pick. Never was he a top prospect.

I just think you have an unjustifiable hatred for him and are talking out of your ass. But that is just my mere expectations.
It doesnt matter where he was drafted. In his rookie year, he had a .906 OPS including 21 HRs as a 24 year old. He was mentioned along with teammate Carl Crawford as a big reason for optimism in Tampa. Now, no one said he'd be as good as Crawford, but he's never matched his great rookie numbers and he's had a few downright lousy years.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:52 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
All reports on Gomes is that he is a great clubhouse guy.

So what side of this "debate" is being disagreeable for the sake of argument?
The point where I admitted my loathing was irrational. Same could be said for Nick Swisher. This is much ado about a throwaway comment - I forgot how seriously HFers take themselves.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:56 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
The point where I admitted my loathing was irrational. Same could be said for Nick Swisher. This is much ado about a throwaway comment - I forgot how seriously HFers take themselves.
I wasn't referencing that post. It was stupid, but you kinda admitted that within the post.

The one I quoted is the one I quoted for a reason.

Old
11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:

cherry picking would be me saying that he played really well down the stretch last year.

gomes has bounced around. he's 32, about a month older than cody ross, and does a lot of things ross does. ross is a "good clubhouse guy" and was apparently looking for a three year deal worth 24-30 million. they just signed cody ross lite for 2/10.

it's not about "cherry picking" a pretty rudimentary statistic these days. it's about identifying that pissing money away with giving cody ross a guaranteed 3 years and 8+ million per would not be a good allocation of money. it's not like ross is michael bourn defensively. he's a hack in the field, gomes is about the same. they bring the same value with the bat, gomes does it cheaper. win/win. [/QUOTE]

Old
11-23-2012, 02:28 AM
BCeagle

The Sox have lost me as a fan with their front office moves last 2-3 years. Now, they're using the mistakes they've made not to sign any FA. I didn't watch them last year and will continue to ignore them with this bumbling ownership and front office. The fans who continue to go to the games are being shortchanged.

Bobby V. was a huge mistake and they will continue to blunder.

I like Farrell but I don't think they'll improve if they don't upgrade their lineup and pitching unless they make moves that will improve the team. Right now, I see them finishing at or near the bottom of the standings.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

I'm fine with the Gomes signing. Someone already mentioned this, but it's better than giving Ross a 3yr/24-25 mil deal. Really similar players.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:10 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I think Gomes is exactly the kind of guy they have to bring in this year. Character guys, hustle guys. Which is why I'd rather see them take a chance on Swisher over Hamilton. And would be fine with them kicking the tires on former Sox Youkilis & Scutaro to fill other needs; if the price is right.
If they get Napoli, I think you try to roll Salty for a pitcher (Floyd or Masterson). And maybe a solid bottom of the rotation guy as well; Brandon McCarthy?

Old
11-23-2012, 09:18 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

dave cameron had an article on scott feldman being a poor man's brandon mccarthy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ndon-mccarthy/

Old
11-23-2012, 09:20 AM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
The Sox have lost me as a fan with their front office moves last 2-3 years. Now, they're using the mistakes they've made not to sign any FA. I didn't watch them last year and will continue to ignore them with this bumbling ownership and front office. The fans who continue to go to the games are being shortchanged.

I like Farrell but I don't think they'll improve if they don't upgrade their lineup and pitching unless they make moves that will improve the team. Right now, I see them finishing at or near the bottom of the standings.
I don't get that mentality. I watched almost every game that I could down the stretch last year. It sucked, but if I were to skip out on them now then when they do win again I will feel dirty, like I cheated on a girlfriend. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post

Bye.

Old
11-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Yeah, you'll be missed, I guess.

But then you came here to post a rant about how done you were, so I really don't actually buy it.

Old
11-23-2012, 10:15 AM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
4th year for Napoli would be brutal

Old
11-23-2012, 10:45 AM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

I'm excited about this season. Not because I think they'll win the division, but I think it's a fresh start, and they're going to play some inspired and fun to watch baseball. Regardless of how they finish I'll have MLB.tv fired up every night.

Last edited by KCBRUIN: 11-23-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Closed Thread