HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Mark Cuban - Players out of their minds

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2005, 07:51 AM
X0ssbar

vCash: 500
Mark Cuban - Players out of their minds

"I think the players are a little out of their minds."

The NBA, of course, has had a salary cap for decades. NHL owners have locked out their players, and the two sides are stuck in a cap-or-no-cap stalemate.

Cuban was asked if the hockey lockout is bad for sports in general.

"Actually, it could be very good for sports if people come to their senses on what the reality of the business of sport is today," Cuban said. "Hockey could set the tone. If it's handled correctly, it could be the best thing that ever happened to hockey.

"The players need a bit of a reality check," Cuban said. "This isn't 1995. I think hockey has a great future with high-definition television, but the economics have changed, and that's just reality.

"Not only are the economics not growing for hockey, but they actually lost a television deal. If the players don't realize that, and if the owners give in, then hockey could disappear."

Link

Old
02-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
"I think the players are a little out of their minds."
Wait...Cuban thinks someone else is out of their mind?

Old
02-07-2005, 08:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Cuban thought his TV show was better than Trump's TV show

Old
02-07-2005, 08:33 AM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Yeah, he's only a billionaire entrepenuer who operates one of the most successful and best-run franchises in all sports.
What could he possibly know?

Old
02-07-2005, 08:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
Yeah, he's only a billionaire entrepenuer who operates one of the most successful and best-run franchises in all sports.

I like Cuban, and think the NHL could learn a ton from Cuban in how to properly market your product ... but if he owned an NHL team he'd make the Rangers look like they were run by Bill Wirtz.

Old
02-07-2005, 08:46 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

The Ducks are looking for a new owner... Not sure I'd want Cuban to have that job though. I do tend to agree with Cuban here that the players are looking for too much, the NHL needs a salary cap to move forward, as much as I hate to say it, if it takes losing this season and a lockout to start next season it will be worth it if the league is healthy when it comes back.

Old
02-07-2005, 08:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

Yes.

Talk about someone who knows how to market. Mark Cuban would be one of the best things that ever happen to hockey.

Old
02-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Schlep Rock

Cuban would be a great NHL owner I think... he admitted when he was trying to buy the Prenguins he knows squat about the game so he'd need a damn good GM.

He could likely get a new arena for Pittsburgh one way or another and also help market that team much like he is doing for the Mavs.

Guy is a self-marketing genius... he doesn't care how cheap it looks (Dairy Queen anybody?) as long as it gets his name and/or businesses some press he's all for it.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:00 AM
robcav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
Cuban would be a great NHL owner I think... he admitted when he was trying to buy the Prenguins he knows squat about the game...
Sort of like the comissioner.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Dr Love

Yeah, let's rag on Mark Cuban, who bought one of the worst franchises in basketball, maybe in sports, and turned them into perennial contenders. The guy clearly doesn't know how to run a team. The guy is crazy, but he's brilliant. He got out of the dot-com industry just before it imploded, and you have to respect that when he was fined a half a million dollars by David Stern that he matched the pot and gave an additional half a million to charity to stick it to Stern. I'd love it if Cuban owned a hockey team.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:07 AM
eye

Cuban = Common Sense. Something many players, PA execs and a minority of HF posters seem to be lacking.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:09 AM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I like Cuban, and think the NHL could learn a ton from Cuban in how to properly market your product ... but if he owned an NHL team he'd make the Rangers look like they were run by Bill Wirtz.
That's a good point.
Of course, unlike the Rangers (or Wirtz, for that matter) Cuban puts out a quality product and has a happy fan base.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Reilly311

Quote:
That's a good point.
Of course, unlike the Rangers (or Wirtz, for that matter) Cuban puts out a quality product and has a happy fan base.

Hell yeah he does, he answers e-mails from fans, put's flat panel TV in everyone's locker. I wish he owned an NHL team because he'd get the NHL out there with some of his antics.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:12 AM
i am dave

If the NHL is looking for additional tools for marketing personalities, Mark Cuban certainly fits the mold.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Dallas Mavericks consistently are in the top 3/4 for payroll in the NBA since 2000-01.The team has not been to a NBA final.One Western conference final appearance.Won playoff round in back to back years.Lost in the first round last year to Sacramento.The team has no low post presence.Erick Dampier?

Look at these salaries

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

If he was in the NHL,Cuban would be the poster boy for the pro hard cap crowd

Old
02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Icey

Quote:
What does he know? In an interview he did a few weeks back before a game they were asking him about the lockout and the state of the games etc. He said this year the Mavericks will lose $20M! That's right $20M. Now he did say with the TV revenue that basketball brings in much of that will be offset but he will still lose money. He then went on to say that anyone who buys/own a sports franchise, no matter the sport, buys it for the competition and the chance to win, not to make money. Nobody buys then to make money and those that do should get out of the business.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Dallas Mavericks consistently are in the top 3/4 for payroll in the NBA since 2000-01.The team has not been to a NBA final.One Western conference final appearance.Won playoff round in back to back years.Lost in the first round last year to Sacramento.The team has no low post presence.Erick Dampier?
Your point? The Mavs were a joke of a franchise before he got there, ten years ago they won 24 games in two seaons. They're exponentionally better now, so they haven't gotten out of a Western Conference that has won 5 of the last 6 titles between two teams, it doesn't mean he's a bad owner.

Quote:
Look at these salaries

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

If he was in the NHL,Cuban would be the poster boy for the pro hard cap crowd
Again, so what? He knows how to run a team and he'd be refreshing as hell for the NHL.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Icey

Mark Cuban also appreciates and recognizes the fans. You can see him before any game walking around the floor signing autographs.

This season was the Mavericks 25 year anniversary. There is this big banner hanging from the rafters at American Airlines Center and on it are the names of anyone who was a season ticket holder in the first year and is still a season ticket hold. On the game the banner was put up he had everyone who's name is one banner come out to center court and he went through and shook everyone hand and personally thanked them for being a STH.

How many NHL owners do you think would do that?

IF the NHL had even a pea sized brain they would be attempting to steal all the NBA marketing personnel. The NBA knows how to market their game, the NHL does not. At every home mavericks game their is a giveaway. You get either Thundersticks or clappers. There is always something going on. A mavericks game is an experience, the game is second to all that is going on in the arena. Its too bad the NHL isn't smart enough to figure all this our.

Old
02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
Mark Cuban also appreciates and recognizes the fans. You can see him before any game walking around the floor signing autographs.
This season was the Mavericks 25 year anniversary. There is this big banner hanging from the rafters at American Airlines Center and on it are the names of anyone who was a season ticket holder in the first year and is still a season ticket hold. On the game the banner was put up he had everyone who's name is one banner come out to center court and he went through and shook everyone hand and personally thanked them for being a STH.

How many NHL owners do you think would do that?

IF the NHL had even a pea sized brain they would be attempting to steal all the NBA marketing personnel. The NBA knows how to market their game, the NHL does not. At every home mavericks game their is a giveaway. You get either Thundersticks or clappers. There is always something going on. A mavericks game is an experience, the game is second to all that is going on in the arena. Its too bad the NHL isn't smart enough to figure all this our.
Who would want an owners autograph???? Unless it's on a cheque, why would you want his signature??

That's the exact reason I don't attend basketball games. I go to sporting events to watch the game not to see some loser ride a tricycle faster than some other loser for a t-shirt!!!!

Old
02-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Hawker14

hehe, i like cuban.

an owner like him would certainly spice up the nhl. get rid of wirtz or jacobs and bring in cuban !!!!

Old
02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
ArtG

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
that's where the salary cap comes in my friend

Old
02-07-2005, 12:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Your point? The Mavs were a joke of a franchise before he got there, ten years ago they won 24 games in two seaons. They're exponentionally better now, so they haven't gotten out of a Western Conference that has won 5 of the last 6 titles between two teams, it doesn't mean he's a bad owner.

Again, so what? He knows how to run a team and he'd be refreshing as hell for the NHL.
Cuban is a great salesman and showman.He knows how to run a team?Do you follow the NBA?It's a rotiserrie/fantasy league team.He collects talented players with rich contracts because he has money to burn and is not scared about going over the threshold to pay the luxury tax

Old
02-07-2005, 12:07 PM
jcab2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Who would want an owners autograph???? Unless it's on a cheque, why would you want his signature??

That's the exact reason I don't attend basketball games. I go to sporting events to watch the game not to see some loser ride a tricycle faster than some other loser for a t-shirt!!!!
Who wants anyone's autograph?

Old
02-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Cuban is a great salesman and showman.He knows how to run a team?Do you follow the NBA?It's a rotiserrie/fantasy league team.He collects talented players with rich contracts because he has money to burn and is not scared about going over the threshold to pay the luxury tax
So you're just going to ignore that the franchise was dirt before he got there and he turned it around? That the Mavs sellout and have a atmosphere through the roof? Man, you're hard to please.

Old
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
What is your point?? The team has increased ten fold with Cubes as owner. When a team wins, guess what else happens. The team gets more media attention. When the team gets more media attention, it gets more fans. When the team gets more fans, it gets more money. What are the main objectives of owning a sports franchise? To win and to make as much money as possible doing it. Yea, I'd say Cubes is doing pretty well in both departments.

Closed Thread