HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Mark Cuban - Players out of their minds

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Icey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
In other capped leagues, bonus money and incentives are counted against the cap. Though I sometimes question the owners' intellect, I doubt these concepts will slip past them.
But doesn't the NFL get huge signing bonuses? Isn't that why the NFL players love their system so much?

I have always thought what they should do is pay every player within a very small pay scale range, but pay them huge signing bonus. Give them a bonus for what they have done in the past but everyone on the team gets almost the same amount of salary.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
The difference in the music and the different leagues is that basketball is playing their music while the play is going on. They are getting the fans into the action. They are up on their feet. With hockey, the music is played when play stops. Not while they battle for the puck along the boards, not when they are on the powerplay, but when the play stops. It makes no sense. Get the fans into the game. Instead we sit there likes bumps on a log until someone scores. Play the music while the play is going on. I suppose they will say then the players can't hear each other, or the ref's but I bet they will learn to adjust.

The other thing that basketball does is on the jumbotron they are showing basketball highlights or anything basketball. In hockey we get to watch endless advertising with a little hockey thrown in every once in a while.

As for televising the game. I know it doesn't televise as well and that is exactly why they need to draw the fan to arena for the atmosphere and the fun of the game and then make them fall in love with the game instead of waiting for the fans to fall in love with the game first and then draw them to the arena. They keep saying once you draw a fan to the arena they are hooked, well then, do something to draw them to the arena. And a 2 for 1 ticket deal isn't my idea of drawing the fans to the arena.
Ya, great points.

I mentioned in another thread that, like in basketball, the home team should have an advantage so a teams home record improves. Fresh home teams should play tired road teams. Road trips should always be tough, and the home record easier.

A better home record means more casual fans. A more entertaining atmosphere means more casual fans. Those are 2 simple things that can be done without tinkering with the rules.

Oh ya, and add the shootout...

Old
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
But doesn't the NFL get huge signing bonuses? Isn't that why the NFL players love their system so much?

I have always thought what they should do is pay every player within a very small pay scale range, but pay them huge signing bonus. Give them a bonus for what they have done in the past but everyone on the team gets almost the same amount of salary.
Yes, and every penny of thoses bonuses counts against the cap. Ergo, it is not a loophole.
And you'd be pretty surprised at how little salary many NFL stars receive.
Here are some 2004 salary numbers, courtesy the NFLPA website:

Tom Brady - $535,000
Terrell Owens - $660,000
Peyton Manning - $535,000
Brain Urlacher - $1.75 million
LaDanian Tomlinson - $455,000

Old
02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
Yes, and every penny of thoses bonuses counts against the cap. Ergo, it is not a loophole.
And you'd be pretty surprised at how little salary many NFL stars receive.
Here are some 2004 salary numbers, courtesy the NFLPA website:

Tom Brady - $535,000
Terrell Owens - $660,000
Peyton Manning - $535,000
Brain Urlacher - $1.75 million
LaDanian Tomlinson - $455,000
Yeah. Payton Manning is a great example. He only got a $35 mil signing bonus last year.

Old
02-07-2005, 10:29 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman
Yeah. Payton Manning is a great example. He only got a $35 mil signing bonus last year.
Did you even read the post I was responding to? What a dope.

Old
02-07-2005, 10:36 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin
Just ask yourself if you would rather have cuban or the current owner of your favorite team at the wheel.
Definately Mike Illitch. The man hires hockey people, gets out of the way, and has a world class hockey team that has been at the top for the past 15 years. Mark Cuban is a clown/attention *****. Any "Pro-Owner" fan would hate Cuban.

Old
02-08-2005, 12:51 AM
misterjaggers

Interesting. The vast majority of the posters to this thread admire Mark Cuban as an owner and would love to see him buy their hometown team, but NHLPA-supporters believe he's completely off base on the salary cap issue.

Old
02-08-2005, 12:57 AM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Interesting. The vast majority of the posters to this thread admire Mark Cuban as an owner and would love to see him buy their hometown team, but NHLPA-supporters believe he's completely off base on the salary cap issue.
cuban wants to buy a team -

Closed Thread