HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Last year the points were almost all because of Ray's running of the offense and driving the ball. The points this year were cause the defense forced a ridiculous number of turnovers and sometimes even scored on their own.
Actually, that happened a ton last year as well.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This is the most pressing issue and it's downright scary.

Quote:
Derek Van Diest ‏@SUNdvandiest
Think the QB situation was bad this year? Heading into next season, the #Eskimos won't have any quarterbacks to choose from. #SunGreyCup
QB and offensive line are the most important positions in this league and the Esks are beyond lacking in both areas. How in the world was that O'Donnell kid highly touted? He's horrible.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Did Marcus Howard even play today/ Honestly, I don't think I heard his name mentioned once, either for a sack or any type of pressure. Okay, once. When RR ran up the middle and abused him for a first down. Other than that...nadda. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, and assume he played while still having a badly injured hamstring.
Howard wasn't any good. I dunno about the Hamstring either. Should it take all season to rehab? Howard didn't play very well and out of position on a lot of plays.

Mostly we were flat out beat in the trenches in this game. Not sure what happened to Sewell either as he was hurt early and suffering all game.

What a long year its been.

man the riders-stamps game is looking awful. Fell asleep in the first quarter.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Howard wasn't any good. I dunno about the Hamstring either. Should it take all season to rehab? Howard didn't play very well and out of position on a lot of plays.

Mostly we were flat out beat in the trenches in this game. Not sure what happened to Sewell either as he was hurt early and suffering all game.

What a long year its been.

man the riders-stamps game is looking awful. Fell asleep in the first quarter.

I've tore my hamstring before and I can tell you it is one of the most frustrating injuries you can sustain. Just when you think everything is okay, you wind up yanking it again. It hurts all the way up your back. It's been said "you are what you're record says you are." That was never proven to be more true than today.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones
Matt Nichols dislocated ankle. May be flying back with team this evening.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I've tore my hamstring before and I can tell you it is one of the most frustrating injuries you can sustain. Just when you think everything is okay, you wind up yanking it again. It hurts all the way up your back. It's been said "you are what you're record says you are." That was never proven to be more true than today.
Oh OK, I've understood it to be a nagging injury but I kinda thought top medical science and rehab and all the medical care leant itself to better recovery.

Anyway real tough year for the club.

As far as some of the comments in the thread that this is the worst moments ever for the Eskimos theres the Staple bowl and then theres the 1990 embarassment against the Bombers in the Greycup.

Two Greycups when the Eskimos forgot to show up. Not sure if its helping mentioning those but..

Nice to see some people out on Toronto actually enjoying the game. Bandwagon for sure but the CFL getting some more fans in an important market.

sigh

Old
11-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hmmm...is that it?

Old
11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
From the first look I was sure it was broken leg or knee with the way the foot was pointed the wrong way.

I would imagine this is better news but will await the medical reports.

What a trooper Nichols was and touching to see the players of both clubs and the fans in attendance showing respect, moment of silence, and quiet in the situation. Not one Cornish ahole to be found in the building.

kudos

Old
11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
timekeep

Quote:
thought it was the knee before, but it is clearly the ankle
nichols.jpg

Old
11-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

^Thanks for making the picture small so people have a choice whether they want to look at that or not.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:14 PM
timekeep

actually how it came out, dont have a clue how to make it bigger or smaller, but i guess that is good. if you click on it is bigger

Old
11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Kyle McMahon

That's actually great news for Nichols, even though it sounds bad. I didn't spend time examining the image, but I was sure it was his knee. Dislocated ankle is nasty, but not career threatening like a snapped ACL would be.

So maybe we have a potential QB heading into next year, but some serious recruitment needs to happen. Joseph better not be within a country mile of this team. He had some decent games earlier on, but is very clearly finished as a professional athlete at this point. The last 3 starts of his were amongst the worst I've ever seen in my life.

I said this exact same thing a year ago, but go find somebody that had a good NCAA career that isn't going to get much of a shot at the NFL and develop him. A Case Keenum or Kellen Moore for example. You'd just have to pay them good enough money to have them forego a spot on a practice roster in the NFL.

We know Dennis Dixon is on our neg. list, maybe he's a possibility. He was good enough to start for the Steelers when Roethlisberger was suspended, it's not like this was some scrub off the Buffalo Bills practice roster or something.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
thought it was the knee before, but it is clearly the ankle
Attachment 59503
I regret looking at that now...

Old
11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
camboy

What a disgrace. Hopefully Reed is on his way out the door. Starting Joseph and benching Charles is beyond understanding. Nevermind all the idiotic moves Tillman made, Reed's misuse of his roster is the most mind boggling thing for me.

Get well soon Nicholls!!

Old
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Anyway, as I stated last year, there's no such thing as a "re-build" in the Canadian Football League. You assemble a group of talented players and if all goes well and they gel as a team, you win. Period.

Hopefully, Ed Hervey is up to the task if he's named GM. He's certainly got an eye for talent considering that he found Sherritt.
I thought that too but if it's true I dont understand why we still dont have an o-line since it's been a problem for 5 years at least.

Our injuries on D at least partially explain why we havent got any pressure on opposition qb's for most of the season.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Stoneman89

This game was a good indication of what we have and don't have going into the off season. Some auditions for next year, if you will. I think a few guys played themselves off the team today. Not withstanding a new coaching staff, GM, and quite possible CEO.

Some players I like going forward...

- Matt Nichols (if he can recover from what looked like a devastating injury)

- Fred Stamps - say no more. He deserves to play on a good team for once.

- Cory Koch - I like what he brings to this team. Fights till the end. I still think he can be a key piece going forward.

- Nate Coehorn and Shamwad Chambers - I know Replacement doesn't like them, but I want to see what they can do with more experience.

- Hugh Charles - absolutely must be brought back and then used properly. Or just used period, would do.

- Adarius Bowman - really missed his YAK yard ability this year.

- Calvin McCarty - if he can stay healthy, I believe he is more valuable than a lot of people think.

-J.C Sherritt - like what he brings, just hope he can stay healthy playing a physical position with a small body.

- Weldon Brown - one of my favourites. Good solid DB. Team really missed him when he was out.

- Marcus Howard - they need him healthy and motor running. I don't believe he was healthy the last 2 games.

- Almondo Seward - good find this year

- Ted Laurent - solid player

- J.T. Hill - vastly under-rated player

- Joe Burnett - had a great rookie year, and will only get better

Then, there's a whole batch I could take or leave, dependant on the upgrade.

Guys who should or must be gone..

- Kerry Joseph - you've got your ring in 2007. Now go home, put your feet up and enjoy the memories.

- Steven Jyles - a never was

- Cory Boyd - let's cut him a 2nd time, only this time do it for keeps.

- Rod Williams - too small, not fast enough, gives receiver a cushion like it's 2nd and 30, poor tackler. Need any more reasons?

- Matthieu Bertrand - been a good soldier, but can't run anymore ( could he ever?) and getting banged up every year.

- Kyle Koch - the worst centre in the league. We need an upgrade here badly.

- Shawn Lemon - useless player

Feel free to add if necessary.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 11-11-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Riders-Stamps game just awful. Horribly executed game.

Stamps just got handed a TD with 3 consecutive roughing penalties against the Riders to keep the drive going.

Tate doing absolutely nothing but gets a TD handed to him.

Durant managing to look even worse.

Without the zebras this one would be 3-0 going into the half..

Old
11-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

^^ftr I love Chambers. Just wanted to clarify that quickly.

He'll be a good one.

Agree with most of the assessment though.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Kyle McMahon

Another home team getting stroked by the refs. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was watching a CFL game.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oh OK, I've understood it to be a nagging injury but I kinda thought top medical science and rehab and all the medical care leant itself to better recovery.

Anyway real tough year for the club.

As far as some of the comments in the thread that this is the worst moments ever for the Eskimos theres the Staple bowl and then theres the 1990 embarassment against the Bombers in the Greycup.

Two Greycups when the Eskimos forgot to show up. Not sure if its helping mentioning those but..

Nice to see some people out on Toronto actually enjoying the game. Bandwagon for sure but the CFL getting some more fans in an important market.

sigh
Hamstring is just one of those injuries that won't go away. No matter how you baby it, get it cared for, etc....it heals in it's own time. And that can take a while.

Ya, there's been some bad moments in Eskimo history, but at least in those incidences you mention above, we've been in the big game with a decent team that just didn't play well that day. It happens. and the infamous "Staples game" was more a case of the other team using an illegal means to combat an icy field. That was just before the Eskies went on their five-in-a-row dynasty run. I believe to this day, that if that game was played indoors, the result would have been much different and in our favour.

I can never, in all my years following this team, and that goes back to the dark late sixties teams, remember such a gong show as the one we experienced this year. I cannot ever remember such mismanagement of this team. And I am not giving Danny Maciocia any credit. It is just incredible that this years debacle managed to trump any bad year he had.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:37 PM
timekeep

riders score

Old
11-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Stoneman89

Does anyone know why we only rushed 4 down lineman for nearly the entire first half, and then mostly in the second half as well? Ray is good, but give him or anyone for that matter all day to throw, and the results are predictable. Another baffling game plan from the coaching staff.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:42 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Does anyone know why we only rushed 4 down lineman for nearly the entire first half, and then mostly in the second half as well? Ray is good, but give him or anyone for that matter all day to throw, and the results are predictable. Another baffling game plan from the coaching staff.
Because Reed is a bad coach.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

We have a tonne of promising defensive players that are free agents this off-season. I'll bet we lose a decent chunk of them. I know that there are only eight teams in this league but where's the incentive to stay if you're getting other offers?

Old
11-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Much like "why did Joseph start?" there is only one man in Edmonton who can answer your question. Everyone and their dog knows the key to making Ricky Ray ineffective is to blitz him. So naturally, we refused to do that.

Sask just gets an extra point blocked for two the other way. Are you kidding me? Has this happened in the last 20 years? Looks like Calgary still has horseshoes embedded firmly up their *****.

Six point swing in the final seconds of the half there. Sask is down three, but should be up three. How do you let Cornish bust a 30 yard run on what was basically a give-up and go to half play? Calgary just repulses me.

Closed Thread