HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 12:17 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
I doubt Reed gets the GM job. I'd put Hervey as the favourite, with Lemmerman as having a good chance also. I think Kavis will be back as head coach and Joseph will be playing again (but not the starter as he starts to move into a coaching role).

Old
11-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

I'll be dry heave vomiting if Ray wins the Grey Cup today.

Its a rare day when I'll be cheering for a Calgary club. Passionately.

A win for Ray today succeeds, for all CFL eternity, to make the present day Edmonton Eskimos the biggest laughingstock in the league. That will only result in this being a continued gongshow operation and that anybody from players, to scouts, to coaches, to GM's should want to avoid. For sure we're a laughingstock franchise at the moment and taking it on the chin. An Argo's/Ray win ensures that it goes down in history as the Eskimos having an unintended hand in this championship.

A Calgary win only succeeds in making us have to be better to compete with them for provincial bragging rights down the road. I don't mind at all Calgary forcing our hand in that and setting the local bar higher. A Calgary win is the only left saving the Eskimos from some longterm egg on face.

Calgary laying an absolute whipping on Ray and the Argos would be even better.

I know a lot of you are so pissed at the Esks right now that you might want a lot of that infamy to occur. But careful what you wish for in that as it may end up with us being the longterm joke franchise of the league. That script is of course unfolding as we speak.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Hockey Nightmare

The only laughingstocks will be Tillman and Rhodes. The rest of the org didn't want it and the fans were split, but aren't they always?

Go Ricky.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
The only laughingstocks will be Tillman and Rhodes. The rest of the org didn't want it and the fans were split, but aren't they always?

Go Ricky.
Rhodes is still here running things. Indefinitely. Reed is a jackarse liar suggesting in retrospect he never approved of the trade ever, never, not even slightly. Which is laughable considering how deep him and Joseph go.

Besides Reed was the coach of the team and took NO STAND on the matter when it was happening. If he really wanted Ray I would suspect we'd have heard something about it, not a year later.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'll be dry heave vomiting if Ray wins the Grey Cup today.

Its a rare day when I'll be cheering for a Calgary club. Passionately.

A win for Ray today succeeds, for all CFL eternity, to make the present day Edmonton Eskimos the biggest laughingstock in the league. That will only result in this being a continued gongshow operation and that anybody from players, to scouts, to coaches, to GM's should want to avoid. For sure we're a laughingstock franchise at the moment and taking it on the chin. An Argo's/Ray win ensures that it goes down in history as the Eskimos having an unintended hand in this championship.

A Calgary win only succeeds in making us have to be better to compete with them for provincial bragging rights down the road. I don't mind at all Calgary forcing our hand in that and setting the local bar higher. A Calgary win is the only left saving the Eskimos from some longterm egg on face.

Calgary laying an absolute whipping on Ray and the Argos would be even better.

I know a lot of you are so pissed at the Esks right now that you might want a lot of that infamy to occur. But careful what you wish for in that as it may end up with us being the longterm joke franchise of the league. That script is of course unfolding as we speak.
It's simple. You don't trade Ray for ****ing next to nothing. The moment that trade went down, I wanted to see Ricky succeed.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
It's simple. You don't trade Ray for ****ing next to nothing. The moment that trade went down, I wanted to see Ricky succeed.
Being that I've loved the Eskimos for 50yrs this is something I can't comprehend. You wanted Ray to succeed and the Eskimos look silly nationwide?

I guess if I was prepared to hate the org over one player deal I could buy into that but I don't get it.

I wanted Ray gone, period, no secret there. It should've been Chad Owens coming back as part of the deal.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Being that I've loved the Eskimos for 50yrs this is something I can't comprehend. You wanted Ray to succeed and the Eskimos look silly nationwide?

I guess if I was prepared to hate the org over one player deal I could buy into that but I don't get it.

I wanted Ray gone, period, no secret there. It should've been Chad Owens coming back as part of the deal.
It's not really hard to understand really.

It was a dumb move, and I know I'm rehashing an old subject. But it was the crowning achievement of how the Edmonton Eskimos have turned into the Toronto Maple Leafs of the CFL when it comes to mismanagement.

It's a series of crap from the Green and Gold. Ricky Ray winning in Toronto will cap it off. Actually, no, if Kavis Reed is our next GM that will cap it.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:06 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

I don't hate the organization or want to see them look silly, but I still like Ray. I have no problem cheering for him.

So what if the league thinks Tillman is an idiot for trading a HoF QB for garbage. He is an idiot for trading a HoF QB for garbage. Ricky winning or losing won't change that.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I doubt Reed gets the GM job. I'd put Hervey as the favourite, with Lemmerman as having a good chance also. I think Kavis will be back as head coach and Joseph will be playing again (but not the starter as he starts to move into a coaching role).
I'd give it to Hervey too, but I'd like someone hired as a senior advisor or something like that. Just to give Hervey a safety net. While he seems like a quick learner, I'd like someone to oversee him just in case.

I agree though it seems Reed will return as head coach (), I just hope we hire someone as OC that knows his ****. This hire I hope is external. Someone with a creative offensive mind.

11-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
It's not really hard to understand really.

It was a dumb move, and I know I'm rehashing an old subject. But it was the crowning achievement of how the Edmonton Eskimos have turned into the Toronto Maple Leafs of the CFL when it comes to mismanagement.

It's a series of crap from the Green and Gold. Ricky Ray winning in Toronto will cap it off. Actually, no, if Kavis Reed is our next GM that will cap it.
Its not hard to understand how Ray winning today will make this org look like a longterm chronic laughingstock.

Nobody hoping for the Eskimos to succeed in the future and hoping for good people to come here should be wanting Ray to win today which only succeeds in making this look like the team nobody should want to go to.

Pretty much ironically, like Toronto has been viewed for years.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't hate the organization or want to see them look silly, but I still like Ray. I have no problem cheering for him.

So what if the league thinks Tillman is an idiot for trading a HoF QB for garbage. He is an idiot for trading a HoF QB for garbage. Ricky winning or losing won't change that.
The logo gets tarnished. 10 yrs from now people remember its the Eskimos org that did the deal. They won't say, oh, it had nothing to do with the Eskimos, it was all Tillman.

ftr the way Rhodes and Reed have subsequently handled this and with what they've stating since tillman left leaves me with more trepidation that nobody with a choice should want to be coming here.

The only thing that eases some of the stench is Ray losing today. It means the whole thing gets forgotten earlier. Ray wins and it never leaves.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
The logo gets tarnished. 10 yrs from now people remember its the Eskimos org that did the deal. They won't say, oh, it had nothing to do with the Eskimos, it was all Tillman.

ftr the way Rhodes and Reed have subsequently handled this and with what they've stating since tillman left leaves me with more trepidation that nobody with a choice should want to be coming here.

The only thing that eases some of the stench is Ray losing today. It means the whole thing gets forgotten earlier. Ray wins and it never leaves.
It shouldn't be forgotten. People wanted Ray gone. They got their wish. Look what happen.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
It shouldn't be forgotten. People wanted Ray gone. They got their wish. Look what happen.
It hasn't happened yet. I don't want it to happen.

Lose this game and all the hyperbole is done. Win and Ray accomplishes something he seldom did here and hadn't in several years.

Ray had a better club here last year and did next to nothing with it. It would piss me off if he wins it all with an inferior Argos club this year. Basically spells out what Ray could accomplish WHEN playing his best football which wasn't happening here anyway.

Arguably we didn't trade THIS Ray. We traded the one that wasn't getting it done here.

Ray is playing a hell of a lot better now. I honestly didn't see that coming.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:56 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

i thought you liked the ray deal though? wasn't jyles going to be a "serviceable QB" and weren't we going to save a bunch of cap space and wasn't ray supposed to be over the hill and incapable of leading a team anymore?

the trade was deplorable, and some of us said so from the get go... i actually bandied about the phrase "worst trade in esks history" over at esksfans a few times right after it happened, and there was no shortage of people to tell me that i was wrong and was over-reacting

Old
11-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i thought you liked the ray deal though? wasn't jyles going to be a "serviceable QB" and weren't we going to save a bunch of cap space and wasn't ray supposed to be over the hill and incapable of leading a team anymore?

the trade was deplorable, and some of us said so from the get go... i actually bandied about the phrase "worst trade in esks history" over at esksfans a few times right after it happened, and there was no shortage of people to tell me that i was wrong and was over-reacting
I liked Ray gone. Period. At least I'm honest enough to remain clear on that. I never considered this a trade as much as a salary dump. You can look back and check.

Personally if I'm making a deal like this I would ask for Chad Owens. But I didn't make the trade and don't work for the club.

I don't post on eskfans either ftr.

I was wrong on Ray turning it around but that makes me despise him more for not playing to his potential here. As mentioned I feel cheated by that. I watched this lame ass go down like an injured gazelle time after time here. Without so much as even a glimmer of him wanting to save himself in the backfield. Now I see this high fiving, endzone dancing, tackle breaking, player hugging highwire act and I'm wonderning, um, whats this Ricky Ray? Actual enthusiasm, involvement, and energy? Where'd this come from?

Guess he couldn't dial up caring here for half million a year. Too bad.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-25-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

More nonsense from an eastern based pundit in their predictions this morning.

Argonauts - 31
Stampeders - 27

MVP: Ricky Ray

"Argos burn both Alberta teams this year. The Stamps today and the Eskimos for the next five years."

We'd be better off with Ray right now but did anybody back east watch CFL football in the five years prior to this one? This pompous nonsense is really infuriating.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:51 PM
April Ethereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Quote:
I liked Ray gone. Period. At least I'm honest enough to remain clear on that. I never considered this a trade as much as a salary dump. You can look back and check.

Personally if I'm making a deal like this I would ask for Chad Owens. But I didn't make the trade and don't work for the club.

I don't post on eskfans either ftr.

I was wrong on Ray turning it around but that makes me despise him more for not playing to his potential here. As mentioned I feel cheated by that. I watched this lame ass go down like an injured gazelle time after time here. Without so much as even a glimmer of him wanting to save himself in the backfield. Now I see this high fiving, endzone dancing, tackle breaking, player hugging highwire act and I'm wonderning, um, whats this Ricky Ray? Actual enthusiasm, involvement, and energy? Where'd this come from?

Guess he couldn't dial up caring here for half million a year. Too bad.
Good post.

Where was this clown when we needed him the last several years?

It makes me gag to say it, but go Stampeders.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Argonauts - 31
Stampeders - 27

"Argos burn both Alberta teams this year. The Stamps today and the Eskimos for the next five years."

We'd be better off with Ray right now but did anybody back east watch CFL football in the five years prior to this one? This pompous nonsense is really infuriating.
Its Toronto though. People say Edmonton has an inferiority complex which is true. Toronto's is a millions times worse they just dont come off desperate like Edmonton. A team no one knew existed in summer 2012 (even though they are hosting) is now the biggest game in town. If Toronto wasnt playing in this game the media would be talking about how crappy it was and how the city didnt embrace it (would never make the headlines in eastern media).

Although as a fair weather football fan who watches 1 or 2 games a year trading Ray was the dumbest thing they could do. If purely from a fan perspective, he is probably the only name a non-hardcore football fan would know. Maybe Gizmo as well lol. From a football perspective it was just stupid. As I said I dont know much about football but a 1st round pick in a 6 team league is pretty much worthless because a 2nd round pick is only 5 players away. Getting pretty much nothing back hurts the team and the PR department.

Losing him and then reading about how crappy the team was I had literally zero reason to tune in and all my friends were the same. Whereas even when the team was bad it was still fun to take in a game or two it just seemed like the team had no hope so why get invoved. Being **** on for 5 years by the eastern media might make this team take itself seriously again because its been acting and looked like a joke for a year or two.

I can only imagine how bad it would be to be a hardcore football fan. Oilers are trash and the football team is a joke

Old
11-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I keep repeating myself but I'm of the belief that it's next to impossible to wander in the proverbial desert for 5+ years in the Canadian Football League barring absolutely ABYSMAL, apathetic management. There are too few teams and only a certain amount of spots for CFLPA members.

Based on Rick Campbell's comments in the paper this morning the Eskimos are a zoo right now and that made his decision to go to the Stampeders super easy.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 11-25-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post

Argonauts - 31
Stampeders - 27

Nobody in Toronto could have named one player on the team three weeks ago. But their average at best team caught lightning in a bottle in November, and here we are.

I'm still torn on this one. Like Replacement says, it will forever be immortalized that the glorious Argos won the historic 100th Grey Cup thanks to Edmonton gifting them Ricky Ray. It has already been long forgotten that the apatheic Ray was on the verge of losing his job in the middle of the season after providing Toronto with the same emotionless, uncaring efforts that he provided the Eskimos in the second half of last season.

Basically, it's either that or have that piece of crap Cornish hoisting the trophy. On a team that won half their games only because the other team blew a last second field goal.

I guess there's also the perspective of how much it would piss off a Calgary fan to lose a Grey Cup to a 9-9 Argonaut team led by Ricky Ray of all people. Imagine if the Eskimos lost a Grey Cup to a 9-9 Henry Burris team. What a massive embarrassment that would be.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
#ualberta

Canadian football is just a crappier version of American football but still it's our crappy football and its 100 years old lol

Old
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
OilerTyler
Still Here...

vCash: 50
Ray throws an interception on the opening play

Old
11-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Kyle McMahon

What could be more demoralizing than that?

And Glenn takes a time count right off the bat. Looks like these teams have really come to play today.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:46 PM
#ualberta

Shaky start for both teams
It's the pressure

Old
11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Canadian football is just a crappier version of American football but still it's our crappy football and its 100 years old lol
Crappier in the overall skill level of the players for sure. But IMO it is still the more interesting game.

Closed Thread