HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
You mean the 10-1 lead at the half?

Or one of the ballsiest places in the history of the league on 3rd and 4?

Or hitting Tucker in the corner in OT?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b3wjf1lU1HY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Holy hyperbole. Ray got 10 pts on the board in the first 59mins of that game. I remember being disgusted that he hadn't put the game away and the Als were still in it.

I remember most Esks fans being beside themselves that a game in which the Opponent barely had a pulse was going into OT.

This was a BAD Calvillo game and an Esks D that was swarming and dominating. All game.

It was only through abject futility that Ray required that late TD.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ray had the best recievers in the league. An Arsenal of Terry Vaughn, Jason Tucker, Ed Hervey. Jebus, Jason Maas could win a cup with that bunch.

Not sure what your saying with that anyway. I know as a football fan I'd be a whole lot happier watching Calvillo the last dozen yrs than Ray.

Of the two Ray has been opportunistic. I'll give him that. But the 2005 Win and this one certainly weren't impressive from a QB standpoint in anyway.

I remember liking Ray in 2002, 2003. Not so much after that. Its been a long time since he was this effective.
Check the lites on 2005.

Seriously.

You can't say that with a straight face.

Nor can you say Calvillio hasn't benefited from great players. Not only has he played in the weak conference for his career, but he's also had the best OL in the league and the likes of Cahoon, Richardson and Green surrounding him.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Holy hyperbole. Ray got 10 pts on the board in the first 59mins of that game. I remember being disgusted that he hadn't put the game away and the Als were still in it.

I remember most Esks fans being beside themselves that a game in which the Opponent barely had a pulse was going into OT.

This was a BAD Calvillo game and an Esks D that was swarming and dominating. All game.
Which is why they gave up 27 points in the 4th quarter, right?

Old
11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You mean the 10-1 lead at the half?

Or one of the ballsiest places in the history of the league on 3rd and 4?

Or hitting Tucker in the corner in OT?

Picture is very fitting. Ray did nothing in regulation time in that Grey Cup. Most fans on this board at the time were screaming most of the game for Maas to takeover. just like they had been in all the preceeding games.

Your revisionist view notwithstanding.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Good for Ray.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Which is why they gave up 27 points in the 4th quarter, right?
2nd half. Plus that all of those pts were a result of the Als finally being allowed back into the game as Ray and the Eskimos had countless struggles moving the ball.

I know you'll come back with some brilliant reply about Rays passing yds in the game. Much of which occurred in the OT.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Check the lites on 2005.

Seriously.

You can't say that with a straight face.

Nor can you say Calvillio hasn't benefited from great players. Not only has he played in the weak conference for his career, but he's also had the best OL in the league and the likes of Cahoon, Richardson and Green surrounding him.
I maintain Ray was pretty useless in the first 59mins of that game. Thats what I remember, the scoreline agrees. The only reason the Al's were ever in the game was how little Ray generated in the first 59mins thereby setting up his own desperation last minute TD(again benefited by 3 consecutive penalties to sustain the drive.)

Thought it was stupid actually winning a game in OT. I don't like that anymore than a club winning the World Cup in a shootout. Just seems kinda cheap. Like a coin toss win.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

the butt-hurt and Ray-hater tears are quite delicious tonight...all the excuse are out tonight, its quite funny

3-1 in Grey Cups and still the worst trade in Eskmo history

I wonder what Tillman is thinking tonight

Old
11-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Lets keep this civil folks.

I don't feel bad that Ray won. The guy has been very classy in this ordeal. Didn't say anything bad about us or whatever. I'm happy for him.

I'm more embarrassed for this franchise. Ray could win a Grey cup, and he showed that tonight. I mean Toronto was bad last year, and they got their **** together in one offseason and became a champion, yet we've in purgatory for the last little while.

Would it kill the Eskimo organization to collectively get their heads out of their ass and actually contend right for one season? God knows its up there deep and it has been for a long time, but jeez louise we were once the Yankees of the CFL. Not giving Montreal top-3 picks for kickers who don't play a snap in the season for us.

11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the butt-hurt and Ray-hater tears are quite delicious tonight...all the excuse are out tonight, its quite funny

I love it too.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
11-27-2005, 07:10 PM
PDO

Absolutely pathetic from DM if he sticks with Ray.
LOL

This is what PDO was saying about the great RR in the actual thread of that actual 2005 Grey Cup game. Nothing like posterity for some reality.

Some of you, and I've got you on speed dial, were saying the exact same thing. Its funny years after how people thought they were impressed with Ray in that game.

ps PDO also states this in the 2005 Grey Cup game thread:
Quote:
The defense continues to show why it was the class of the league. I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't more hyped that the #1 D and #1 O were clashing.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-25-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

The whole thing was rigged. Why do you think they wanted Toronto, the cesspoo...erm center of Canada, to win the Grey Cup on the 100th season AND in Toronto? I blame the whole league and everyone who is part of this Administration-wise.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Quote:

Probably that he'd do it again, and I'd totally agree. He'd done nothing the last several years, something needed to be shaken up.

Quote:
LOL

This is what PDO was saying about the great RR in the actual thread of that actual 2005 Grey Cup game. Nothing like posterity for some reality.

Some of you, and I've got you on speed dial, were saying the exact same thing. Its funny years after how people thought they were impressed with Ray in that game.
Lol, owned.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

He's ecstatic. He's going to Toronto and the league won't even bother to question the absurdity surrounding the situation. Gotta protect that impeccable Argonauts franchise.

Anyway, I'm happy for Ray. Tonight's win cements him as one of the game's greats but I still can't help but feel a little ripped off by the previous six seasons. The Eskimos' failings weren't all on him and we'd definitely be better off with him but he lost his spark over his final few seasons as an Eskimo... and that frustrates the hell out of me.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Probably that he'd do it again, and I'd totally agree. He'd done nothing the last several years, something needed to be shaken up.

Lol, owned.
I know, and as soon as I got that delicious find PDO heads for the hills and turned off the board.

Some of you others that keep talking smack I've got yours too if you want it.

At least I'm consistent. i wasn't impressed with Ray, or the Win back then, and said so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement
Mixed reactions for the same reason but bare in mind I stood by Ray all year and just thought a tandem rotation is better. I'm not of the ones better than the other variety but that both together are better together

I must be the only one that thought the G.C. majorly frustrating. meh, I wasn't drunk Here goes the Esks mapping out the same offensive doldrums as all season and letting the other team back into it. 10-1 at the half? Game should've been over with any reasonable offensive contribution.

Seems like several times in the day the game was there for the taking and we didn't. I still think we never did as CFL OT is IMO a crummy way to win. Yeah, we *won* but it all felt strangely unfullfilling. I was absolutely pumped after both playoff wins but the G.C win somehow left me with more questions than answers.

like....

-Does this win mean we're now truly stuck with Maciocia and his playbook for eternity?

-and campbell?

-and an offence that could bore you right out of the seats.

-that I have to sit through game after game of an offence that doesn't score a TD for 40 minutes if at all.

Glad for the 3rd place team gets a win underdog mythology but I had this team pegged as championship calibre from the start and so winning in this manner just seemed cheap. I'll have to forget that this same offence with the exact same gameplan chased me from Commmonwealth as I couldn't stand to watch it up close after the 1st 5 games. Can't stand this offensive scheme and that point was strangely driven home harder last night

golf clap for the win but the future cup looks half empty.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Tyrolean

Ray wasn't playing at an all star level the past few years with the Esks. Perhaps it was more due to the management and personnel, but he seemed to be rejuvenated with a new team.

It happens sometimes and the trade value in hindsight was obviously bad.

Time to move on, nothing you can do to turn the clock back and void the trade. Tillman's head has roiled and perhaps Rhodes should too.

At least we didn't trade him until he has 9 years with us. Maybe he has from 2 to 4 years left, who knows? Maybe he will regress, that;s been known to happen before too.

Time to look forward to the future with a new GM and hopefully better players and management. Fans sure like to dwell on things.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'd like to let the trade go (and lets be honest, it was probably time for the Esks and Ray to part ways) but I think that the Toronto media (and TSN) are going to be running with this story for a good while.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Checked in to see if anything has changed...nope.

Replacement is still determined to be right about Ray despite all the evidence to the contrary.

In any event...good for Ray.

He deserves this 3rd Grey Cup win. Just goes to show what Ray can do when you have a coaching staff that is smart enough to design a system around him instead of trying to make Ray fit a system.

Good to see that Tillman was around long enough to take what Macciocia left behind and **** it up even worse.

With Reed and Rhodes around for a few more years the Eskimo s**t show is pretty much a guarantee to continue.

In any event kudos to Ray and the Argos.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Arpeggio

Congratulations to Ricky Ray on his third Grey Cup, further cementing his status as one of the all-time CFL greats.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Congratulations to Ricky Ray on his third Grey Cup, further cementing his status as one of the all-time CFL greats.
I was hoping for him to tie or pass Calvillo for the most TD passes in Grey Cups but alas.

Still, 8 TD passes in 4 games is better than 9 in what? 8 appearances?

Old
11-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Well so much for Ray being done and never leading a team to another Grey Cup.

I'll take my crow medium rare with a bit of char on the feather please.

Give me a little extra and I'll make sure Liquor and Replacment get theirs too.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:30 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I was hoping for him to tie or pass Calvillo for the most TD passes in Grey Cups but alas.

Still, 8 TD passes in 4 games is better than 9 in what? 8 appearances?
If they would have got that review call correct he would have had 9.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
If they would have got that review call correct he would have had 9.
Yeah, I thought that was a TD, definitely.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

The Argos win a cup, we win cap space.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:03 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote: