HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Can you show me where I said that this was the requirement? That I have insisted on a 60+ point winger who is also great at defense?
In fact, I have opted for the opposite. Mostly because TO doesn't have that player. No, give me futures that we can develop. Clearly, it's the best fit asset wise.

On Gillis's offer: That was the rumour. Like it or not, that's what's out there on the internet.

And just to add some perspective: A 35 yr old Kaberle on an expiring contract got a 1st and Colborne at the deadline. Something akin to half of that Gillis demand. Is Luongo twice the player Kaberle is?
Not even close. Toronto's first (5th overall as it was at the draft Gillis made his demand) Is a dam sight different than Boston's. And Gardiner is leaps and bounds better than Colborne. So half...i think not.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I was refuting the basis of your argument which was "Why didn't we trade Hodgson for an established player instead of Kassian?", when you have no idea if any established top-6 players were even offered. Obviously If Gillis were offered, say Kostitsyn for Hodgson he wouldn't do it, because that doesn't fill a need. Kassian (potentially) could. And the player he projects to be like Gillis flat out said couldn't be acquired any way other than developing them ourselves.

Based on your logic above, is it safe to conclude that prospect Hodgson carried more value than established player Kostitsyn? Why is that? Forget "need" for a moment. Why does a prospect carry more weight than an established top6 NHLer here?

Quote:
I'd base it more on the results of our team as a hole, namely, when Daniel went down, our offense dried up. Obviously we need some more players able to contribute offensively now to give us the best chance at winning.

But that's not a "hole", that's an area that can be improved, it isn't something that's missing. It's something that can be made better, it is not absent.

Quote:
No.
So no roster player + Kadri combo equates to Lupul? Ok. Regardless, if any are close then it's a clear sign we can move off Lupul as the sticking point right? At least Kulemin + Kadri trumps his value, and I'd much rather take them on than target Lupul.

Quote:
But you have no actual evidence as to why Kadri would do better on the right than the left other than your own opinion, correct?

Lupul is proven to be better on the LW. Kadri has played all 3 positions, but hasn't proven where he's better. Not enough information yet. They've tried him everywhere and will continue to do so. Basically, I know I'm right about Lupul based on his track record. The jury is till out Kadri. So you can look at it as Kadri is a question mark, with logic dictating he could be better on the RW, while Lupul is a known on the LW.

Quote:
Here's a quote from Lupul:

So basically he was stuck on the third line in Anaheim because Carlyle refused to give him a chance on his off-wing. Obviously he was wrong, as the season showed. But it doesn't mean Lupul on the left has a higher upside than Lupul on the right, if he was stuck behind Perry and Selanne on the depth chart. This is where I don't follow you. There is no reason to assume that Kadri's upside on the right side is any higher than Lupul's. And certainly not within the next 2-3 seasons when we have our best shot at winning the cup.

And there's really no need to be rude. It's simply a discussion on who makes more sense for us to target.

I don't know if you realize this, but your posts don't come off any better to me.

On to the point: The article flat admits Carlyle was wrong for forcing Lupul to the RW...? You still think Lupul has equal upside on the right even though his best statistical season came at LW? Even though he himself wanted the chance on the left, but was denied? Even though it is implied by that quote that it benefits the skill game which Lupul eventually showed to employ? Why? When the evidence actually of him breaking out there speaks to the exact opposite?

Skill pre-requisite to play the off wing (quote) + Kadri is a skill-based player = play him on the RW. Make sense?

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 11-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Not even close. Toronto's first (5th overall as it was at the draft Gillis made his demand) Is a dam sight different than Boston's. And Gardiner is leaps and bounds better than Colborne. So half...i think not.

What about Bozak + 2013 1st, is that close to half? Keep in mind that there are a few here that think Bozak is a replacement level player (despite where he plays on the (Leafs) and expect the 1st to be mid-pack at best.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
What about Bozak + 2013 1st, is that close to half? Keep in mind that there are a few here that think Bozak is a replacement level player (despite where he plays on the (Leafs) and expect the 1st to be mid-pack at best.
No it's not half when there is still Gardiner and Frattin left in the demand. I think Gardinet alone is worth a late pick and a prospect like Colborne.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
No it's not half when there is still Gardiner and Frattin left in the demand. I think Gardinet alone is worth a late pick and a prospect like Colborne.

So Gardiner skews value. I get that, but I was just speaking about Bozak + the 1st. 2 of 4 pieces. Is it similar? I would say so. And if it is, the calibre of player Luongo is + him being locked into contract + 2 yrs younger than Kaberle and you can kind of see where Gillis is coming from.

It's high, but is it exorbitant? No. Based on value given in the Kaberle deal and the Nash deal, no.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
So Gardiner skews value. I get that, but I was just speaking about Bozak + the 1st. 2 of 4 pieces. Is it similar? I would say so. And if it is, the calibre of player Luongo is + him being locked into contract + 2 yrs younger than Kaberle and you can kind of see where Gillis is coming from.

It's high, but is it exorbitant? No. Based on value given in the Kaberle deal and the Nash deal, no.
Wow Bleach. Let me see if i can explain this, Kabs got us Boston's 1st the year they won the cup (thus very late 1st) and a B prospect that was at least 3years minimum away (Colborne at the time). How is that remotely close to a 5th overall and a proven 2/3 center? It is also important to remember that Boston was not taking on 10 years worth of Kabs.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Based on your logic above, is it safe to conclude that prospect Hodgson carried more value than established player Kostitsyn? Why is that? Forget "need" for a moment. Why does a prospect carry more weight than an established top6 NHLer here?
Because "value" or "weight" is an abstract notion. Filling needs is what makes one's team more competitive(either in the short term or long term, depending on the team's goal).

Quote:
But that's not a "hole", that's an area that can be improved, it isn't something that's missing. It's something that can be made better, it is not absent.
Well, I suppose it's simply semantics, but by your logic the Leafs don't have a hole at number 1 C, as the player there isn't absent, they have Bozak.(and if you want to use Kassian to fill the hole, they have Kadri). As a cup contender we should have higher standards on what our forward group should look like.

Quote:
So no roster player + Kadri combo equates to Lupul? Ok. Regardless, if any are close then it's a clear sign we can move off Lupul as the sticking point right? At least Kulemin + Kadri trumps his value, and I'd much rather take them on than target Lupul.
Sorry, if I wasn't more clear, I was responding to your direct question of if Bozak/Macarthur + Kadri is better than Lupul, which is a no imo. Kulemin + Kadri I would prefer to Lupul, but Lupul + Blacker I would prefer to that.

Quote:
Lupul is proven to be better on the LW. Kadri has played all 3 positions, but hasn't proven where he's better. Not enough information yet. They've tried him everywhere and will continue to do so. Basically, I know I'm right about Lupul based on his track record. The jury is till out Kadri. So you can look at it as Kadri is a question mark, with logic dictating he could be better on the RW, while Lupul is a known on the LW.

I don't know if you realize this, but your posts don't come off any better to me.

On to the point: The article flat admits Carlyle was wrong for forcing Lupul to the RW...? You still think Lupul has equal upside on the right even though his best statistical season came at LW? Even though he himself wanted the chance on the left, but was denied? Even though it is implied by that quote that it benefits the skill game which Lupul eventually showed to employ? Why? When the evidence actually of him breaking out there speaks to the exact opposite?

Skill pre-requisite to play the off wing (quote) + Kadri is a skill-based player = play him on the RW. Make sense?
Lupul's track record is that he produced more getting top line minutes as a LW than playing behind Perry and Selanne as a RW. I think that his jump in production is far more related to his increased amount of quality ice time as opposed to switching sides.

Also, just because it requires more skill to play the offwing doesn't mean skilled players automatically do better there.

And the biggest point for me, which you've never yet addressed, is even if Kadri turns out to be the perfect RWer, he wouldn't be hitting his prime until half our core is out of their primes.

Old
11-21-2012, 06:49 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Wow Bleach. Let me see if i can explain this, Kabs got us Boston's 1st the year they won the cup (thus very late 1st) and a B prospect that was at least 3years minimum away (Colborne at the time). How is that remotely close to a 5th overall and a proven 2/3 center? It is also important to remember that Boston was not taking on 10 years worth of Kabs.
.....but, but I thought Colborne was Boston's top prospect at the time, you know like Rielly is for you.

The 1st was a 1st, it could have ended up being 17th overall.

So if Luongo was a UFA in one years time, you'd pay more?

Old
11-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
.....but, but I thought Colborne was Boston's top prospect at the time, you know like Rielly is for you.

The 1st was a 1st, it could have ended up being 17th overall.

So if Luongo was a UFA in one years time, you'd pay more?
Colborne was not there best prospect, perhaps you've heard of Seguin? And ya, if i was in Boston's position (ready to make a cup run)and was a goalie away, sure i'd pay a 1st and a b prospect, after all, the 1st would be late.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:36 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Colborne was not there best prospect, perhaps you've heard of Seguin? And ya, if i was in Boston's position (ready to make a cup run)and was a goalie away, sure i'd pay a 1st and a b prospect, after all, the 1st would be late.
So including Seguin as a prospect makes Gardiner a prospect. Cheers

Old
11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
So including Seguin as a prospect makes Gardiner a prospect. Cheers
Fantastic...so include Gardiner in our list of prospects we won't deal for Luongo. You can put his name right beside Reilly's.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Kid_Roll

I always get a kick out of fans assuring either side who won't be traded.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
I always get a kick out of fans assuring either side who won't be traded.
I know Burke's word is worth crap, but he stated (early in the Nash talks) that as soon as Gardiner's name was mentioned he walked away. One can assume the same will hold true here.It's not even about value or me being a dick. Our defense needs Gardiner after trading Schenn. We literally cannot move another D.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I know Burke's word is worth crap, but he stated (early in the Nash talks) that as soon as Gardiner's name was mentioned he walked away. One can assume the same will hold true here.It's not even about value or me being a dick. Our defense needs Gardiner after trading Schenn. We literally cannot move another D.
It's true. Burke walked away as soon as Howson informed him Nash wanted no part of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It's true. Burke walked away as soon as Howson informed him Nash wanted no part of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
You'll notice i said early in the talks...like before the list.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:16 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Exactly. Nash wasn't coming to any CDN team. No GM in Canada had any chance no matter who was included in the package.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Probably because he didn't really need a winger. He needs a #1 goalie.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Probably because he didn't really need a winger. He needs a #1 goalie.
I actually agree with you. It"s a shame we can't afford the one you are offering.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I actually agree with you. It"s a shame we can't afford the one you are offering.
Burke can't afford not to pay a high price for Luongo.

If he does balk, it could spell a mass exodus from Toronto, with Burke leading the way.

If Burke wants to attract any talent to Toronto or retain his top players then making the playoffs is an absolute must.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Its true.

Didn't he state that Luke Schenn wouldn't be traded? ... only to be traded to Philly

Old
11-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Hammer79

It's pretty hard to gauge Luongo's trade value before a new CBA gets put in place.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Burke can't afford not to pay a high price for Luongo.

If he does balk, it could spell a mass exodus from Toronto, with Burke leading the way.

If Burke wants to attract any talent to Toronto or retain his top players then making the playoffs is an absolute must.
You guys seem to remember Burke from his days there...tell me, when did he ever overpay for personal reasons? Burke has been asked that question by every local sports statio. and has laughed loudly at the notion of overpaying to save his job. If that is what you are counting on......

Listen guys, i'm not trying to be a dick. Toronto can't give you what you expect...we don't have it...it's that simple. Does that mean we miss on Luongo...maybe...does it mean we miss the playoffs...possibly. But reality cannot be changed, we cannot, as a 25th place team, give up the players that will make the 2 time Prez trophy winners better. It isn't fans being stupborn, it isn't about overating our players....we simply do not have those expendable pieces.

Last edited by Liferleafer: 11-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
You guys seem to remember Burke from his days there...tell me, when did he ever overpay for personal reasons? Burke has been asked that question by every local sports statio. and has laughed loudly at the notion of overpaying to save his job. If that is what you are counting on......

Listen guys, i'm not trying to be a dick. Toronto can't give you what you expect...we don't have it...it's that simple. Does that mean we miss on Luongo...maybe...does it mean we miss the playoffs...possibly. But reality cannot be changed, we cannot, as a 25th place team, give up the players that will make the 2 time Prez trophy winners better. It isn't fans being stupborn, it isn't about overating our players....we simply do not have those expendable pieces.
You have for sure been better then most if not all, I think some get frustrated by some of the low ball offers. I agree that TO does not have the pieces to put us over the top at this moment. That is not to say they don't have pieces we can't use to help us, we just have to learn that it will come in pieces that will help in the future, and maybe via another trade.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:42 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

The difference is what you call overpaying and what it will take...

Fair value isn't overpaying...superstar goalies don't come cheap.

Ps. If you don't have expendable pieces that improve the Canucks, as reasonable as you are....why are you still here?

Closed Thread