HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 5.0 - CLR Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2012, 01:52 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Indeed, but if you are tall big and powerful, your reach will be an advantage on smaller player at the end..
Meh...can never look at these types of attributes alone. Height is meaningless without strength or balance for example.

I'd rather a guy who 5'10 and strong on his skates then a guy who's 6'3 and gets knocked off the puck at the slightest contact.

As this relates to Galchenyuk, size is not an issue...his height/weight are more than fine for his skill set.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:03 PM
That

Last night, he did something that he doesn't consistently enough: drive the net. It's not that he doesn't drive the net often, it's that he doesn't do it with authority, nor does he pass the puck off and go right to the net. Normally he likes to hang out just outside the slot. It was nice to him see him attack the net.

He's strong, he's skilled, and he's smart, which is a deadly combination. However, He has to exert himself physically more often. In junior hockey you can get away with just using your stick to win puck battles and rely entirely on your hands to create space, in the NHL you can't. Unless he's visibly frustrated, very rarely do you see him use his body to his advantage. He doesn't finish his checks, he doesn't use his body to win puck battles, and he doesn't try to power through opposing players. You need to do those things to succeed in the NHL. Galchenyuk doesn't do those things. I'm unsure if it that has to do with the that he can get by doing that in junior, or if that's his style. He has the skill and smarts, I'd like to see him use his body more often.

Now with that said, by no means is he soft. He's battles hard, he competes every shift, and has an incredible level of skill. Those things right there are a recipe for not only making the NHL, but succeeding in it. If he could at that extra element of using his strength to his game, he could be even better.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Beerbeerhockey

This is a little article on Gally and the American Wjc team

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...op-candidates/

Old
11-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Last night, he did something that he doesn't consistently enough: drive the net. It's not that he doesn't drive the net often, it's that he doesn't do it with authority, nor does he pass the puck off and go right to the net. Normally he likes to hang out just outside the slot. It was nice to him see him attack the net.

He's strong, he's skilled, and he's smart, which is a deadly combination. However, He has to exert himself physically more often. In junior hockey you can get away with just using your stick to win puck battles and rely entirely on your hands to create space, in the NHL you can't. Unless he's visibly frustrated, very rarely do you see him use his body to his advantage. He doesn't finish his checks, he doesn't use his body to win puck battles, and he doesn't try to power through opposing players. You need to do those things to succeed in the NHL. Galchenyuk doesn't do those things. I'm unsure if it that has to do with the that he can get by doing that in junior, or if that's his style. He has the skill and smarts, I'd like to see him use his body more often.

Now with that said, by no means is he soft. He's battles hard, he competes every shift, and has an incredible level of skill. Those things right there are a recipe for not only making the NHL, but succeeding in it. If he could at that extra element of using his strength to his game, he could be even better.
Not sure I agree with that...plenty of players have forged very successful careers by not playing that type of game.

It doesn't necessarily have to be part of his game...but I get what you mean

Last edited by 417: 11-23-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 02:47 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
I like what I hear so far about Galchenyuk, but I ain't excited that much more about our future (next few years). I feel like our chances of winning the Cup increased from like 0.5% to 2%!

yay
I agree with you.

Gally is promising but they still need more high end skill at the forward position. I may be in the minority here but I think the team needs at least another prospect at least of the caliber of Galchenyuk in the forward position to really make of the habs foundation a strong enough one that will led me to say that they will one day be a legitimate contender for the cup.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:19 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not sure I agree with that...plenty of players have forged very successful careers by not playing that type of game.

I worded that funny. Like you said, plenty of players have carved careers by not playing that style. That's true, and I 100% agree with that. What I was trying to say is that I'd like to see him add those elements to his game because they would take him to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan87 View Post
I agree with you.

Gally is promising but they still need more high end skill at the forward position. I may be in the minority here but I think the team needs at least another prospect at least of the caliber of Galchenyuk in the forward position to really make of the habs foundation a strong enough one that will led me to say that they will one day be a legitimate contender for the cup.
Galchenyuk is one of the best prospects in the world, not sure I agree with a player at least the calibre of Galchenyuk. However, I do agree with the fact that we need more high end talent in our prospect pool, especially at forward.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:20 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
DAT RELEASE

I subscribed to you on twitter and youtube. Love the Gally videos but also like seeing some of the other top prospects. Keep it up man!

Oh and I rewatched the highlight reel vs Plymouth (game was early November), no need to fap after that
EWWW!! Could have kept that to yourself!!

Old
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
I agree with you.

I agree with this. Adding a player of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, etc. would propel the Habs into a position where they can contend for the cup in the future.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Meh...can never look at these types of attributes alone. Height is meaningless without strength or balance for example.

I'd rather a guy who 5'10 and strong on his skates then a guy who's 6'3 and gets knocked off the puck at the slightest contact.

As this relates to Galchenyuk, size is not an issue...his height/weight are more than fine for his skill set.
We are talking about the same thing and I wasnt reffering to Gally particulary, he is more than fine, I was talking in general, a guy like Desharnais for exemple has a very small reach, you put him beside Chara and the kid looks like a smurf calling him mom.. You have plenty guys in the NHL these days that are tall strong and have a good balance as well..

Old
11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Maybe part of this has to do with his injury.. Maybe it will come when he fully trust his knee again..

Old
11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
I agree with you.

I agree, we need one more high end player.

Old
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I agree, we need one more high end player.
Yes! Tank Mode!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think we need more high end players and prospects in every position.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Yes! Tank Mode!!!!!!!!!
And if were lucky at the lottery, we won't have to lose any games to tank.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:13 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
I think we need more high end players and prospects in every position.
Adding another high end prospect on D(Jones, Risto, Pulock) would bulk our defense even more, but I think we need another high end forward more, like Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, etc.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Adding another high end prospect on D(Jones, Risto, Pulock) would bulk our defense even more, but I think we need another high end forward more, like Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, etc.
I think we need Jones, McKinnon and Barkov.

Not that I'm asking for those players, but you need more than 1 or 2 high end skill players in a contender.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
I think we need Jones, McKinnon and Barkov.

Not that I'm asking for those players, but you need more than 1 or 2 high end skill players in a contender.
Monahan, Lindholm, Drouin, Ristolainen, Shinkaruk, or Pulock would help us as well in my opinion.

Old
11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:

I don't agree with that statement either. He absolutely does use his body to win puck battles, and he may not be Erik Cole, as in straight bullrushing opponents, but that's because he doesn't have to, he's always got them on their heels anyways. Don't be mistaken though, when it calls for it, he can put his head down and power through someone.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Sarnia Sting ‏@StingHockey
Hottot will not be in tonight's lineup. Craig has decided to leave the club. There will be no further comments from the club at this time.

If Hottot doesn't come back, just more reason for them to abandon ship on this season and trade Gally.

Old
11-23-2012, 05:53 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Hottot will not be in tonight's lineup. Craig has decided to leave the club. There will be no further comments from the club at this time.

If Hottot doesn't come back, just more reason for them to abandon ship on this season and trade Gally.
Wow, that's huge news. Despite what some might say (myself included), he produced and added an element physicality to Sarnia. I won't miss him trying those stupid spin moves multiple times a game though, that was annoying as hell.

Between his 10 game suspension and his terrible 3 games after it, it makes me wonder if the team wasn't happy with him.

With Dundas out for a month, Brown injured, and now Hottot leaving, the winger situation is looking poor for Sarnia. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another trade. Personally, I'd like to see Hargrave get a bigger role on the team, he's been very solid lately.

Last edited by That: 11-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 06:01 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, that's huge news. Despite what some might say (myself included), he produced and added an element physicality to Sarnia. I won't miss him trying those stupid spin moves multiple times a game though, that was annoying as hell.

Between his 10 game suspension and his terrible 3 games after it, it makes me wonder if the team wasn't happy with him.

With Dundas out for a month, Brown injured, and now Hottot leaving, the winger situation is looking poor for Sarnia. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another trade. Personally, I'd like to Hargrave get a bigger role on the team, he's been very solid lately.
Big blow to the Sting. This might hurt Sarnia in the long run when it comes to offense, but it might an incentive for Beaulieu to trade Gally to a contender and to rebuild.

Last edited by AJMHABS: 11-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old
11-23-2012, 06:01 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Anyone have the radio link for the game?

Old
11-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Anyone have the radio link for the game?
www.chok.com

Starts in 30 minutes.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
www.chok.com

Starts in 30 minutes.
Thanks Marc.

Old
11-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Yes! Tank Mode!!!!!!!!!
They haven't even won a game yet this season.

Closed Thread