HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 5.0 - CLR Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 09:23 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

vCash: 500
Just got back from the game glad he was finally in guelph, he got better as the game progressed each period. His team is also very poor utilizing him. One thing is for sure when he gets the puck with a head of steam he is very hard to contain heading into the zone, great iq and cross zone passes

Last edited by danisonfire: 11-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
That

4-2 win for Sarnia! Galchenyuk picks up the game winning goal and an assist. Pretty solid game from him. Sarnia has really started to mesh as of late, looking like a much better team.

He started the first fairly quietly, he had a nice slapper coming across the blue line but had some trouble controlling the puck. Galchenyuk's line seemed to have no interest to play defence at all for a bit. They eventually tightened up after Guelph's second goal. His first real scoring chance came off of just a beautiful play. He attacked the defenceman who was holding the blue line and stole the puck. He skated up the ice and created a 2 on 1. He used a beautiful saucer pass to set up Boucher, but he hit the outside of the post. His first point of the night, came off of a pass Sarault pass to Basso that Galchenyuk just redirected towards to Basso. Basso carried to puck in a scored off a nice shot. Towards the end of the first he tried to take on the entire team twice. Once he tried to drive to the net, the second he just shot and it barely missed the top corner of the net. Galchenyuk started the second excellently. He created chance right away by going to the net and setting up Sarault, but Sparks stopped it. He was also brilliant on the PP. He used his hands to create a ton of chances. He did however have a terrible turnover of a lazy pass that got intercepted as soon as the PP was over. On a separate PP he had a beautiful stretch pass to Sarault to start the breakout. Galchenyuk started the third period out fairly quietly. He didn't really have a lot on in the offensive zone until around half way through. He randomly two-handed someone after the whistle. He was very solid in the third period defensively, he stole the puck a few times and did a good job blocking off passing lanes. At around the 7 minute mark he started taking over offensively. He had some nice moves to get through 3 players at high speed. He ended up scoring the GWG by stealing the puck behind the goal line and driving right to front of the net and shooting.

Overall, I felt he player a very good game. He was started out very quiet on both sides of the ice, but ended up picking up his defensive effort and the offense followed. Defensively he blocked the passing lanes very well and played the puck carrier aggressively. He won most of his puck battles with ease too. He played every forward position tonight and lined up for quite a few of draws. Offensively he had some great moments, a very good from Galchenyuk.

-Connor Murphy and Alex Basso played very good together tonight. Made some very solid decisions with and without the puck. Murphy has put together 4 good games in a row now after a rough stretch.
-Bryan Moore had a solid game. He had some sneaky steals from the Guelph defenceman. He created some very good chances and was strong on the puck all night. He'll be back on the second line again soon.
-Nikolay Goldobin had an interesting game. He finished with a goal and had some good moments offensively, but he looked completely lost at times. Fanned on passes, whiffed on shots. He made some odd decisions with the puck. He's clearly a skilled player, but he struggled tonight.
-Reid Boucher had a solid game again. He looked very good defensively and finished a goal and an assist. He still needs to work on that shot. It's a cannon, but he very rarely can get his shot off and struggles to produce a consistent effort with his shot accuracy.
-Most of you probably know who Jason Dickinson is now. He's draft eligible and the only place he's going is up. He had a very good game. He showed off every area of his game tonight. He had a ridiculous feed to Mitchell to pick up an assist. He set up him up later in the game but Mitchell couldn't get his shot off. Defensively he made some great plays. He broke up plays, intercepted pucks, and blocked shots. Really strong night from him.
-Matt Finn looked exhausted tonight. He made some weird decisions defensively. He consistently shot the puck every time he had it, even though it got blocked over and over again.
-Robby Fabbri created some very good scoring chances tonight. He showed some great patience with the puck. He's mature with the puck beyond his years.
-Cody McNaughton was all over the ice, in good ways and bad ways. He had a few turnovers, but also created a ton of chances offensively. Up and down game for him.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
The GWG: http://telly.com/sarnia_surfer#!BA8GX

Old
11-09-2012, 09:42 PM
DAChampion

Out of the five guys ahead of him in the scoring race, 4 are older, and 3 have played 1 more game.

Impressively, Sean Monahan is 8 months younger, has played 2 fewer games and has 1 more point.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show

Galchenyuk has 12 goals and 18 assists in 19 games. At his 2010-2011 pace, he would have 8.7 goals and 14.5 assists.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Talks to Goalposts

3/10ths of the way through the season he's in a statistical tie with the other top OHL scorers and has cleared the 1.5 points per game mark.

Pretty much meeting some high expectations offensively so far.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Also, he fed Boucher with a weird knuckle-ball pass that I thought was going to be intercepted. Instead, it landed on Boucher's stick and he went in on a breakaway before being hooked and sent to centre ice for a penalty shot - which he missed, obviously.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Also, he fed Boucher with a weird knuckle-ball pass that I thought was going to be intercepted. Instead, it landed on Boucher's stick and he went in on a breakaway before being hooked and sent to centre ice for a penalty shot - which he missed, obviously.
Missed the pass during the game, but I just watched it on hockeystreams.

I wonder if it was intentional or not, either it was really lucky play, or a really creative play. Weird.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Missed the pass during the game, but I just watched it on hockeystreams.

I wonder if it was intentional or not, either it was really lucky play, or a really creative play. Weird.
I think it was fluke, but it was still entertaining to watch when it happened. It's like, even when he botches a pass, it turns into a scoring chance anyway.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:59 PM
That

Quote:
I think it was fluke, but it was still entertaining to watch when it happened. It's like, even when he botches a pass, it turns into a scoring chance anyway.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that too. It looks like he tried to flip the puck to Boucher, but just didn't get anything on it and caught Finn napping.

Regardless it was pretty awesome looking play.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
I'm pretty convinced it was a fluke, but had the same thought, seems as though even when he screws up it still kind of works out for him... a trait the great ones have.

As for the game, I thought it was a pretty mediocre game for Gally. Outside of his brilliant GWG that is...

Old
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'm pretty convinced it was a fluke, but had the same thought, seems as though even when he screws up it still kind of works out for him... a trait the great ones have.

As for the game, I thought it was a pretty mediocre game for Gally. Outside of his brilliant GWG that is...
Watched Huberdeau in Sherbrooke tonight and I came up with the same conclusion, everything he touches turns into gold

Old
11-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Noob616

Just got home from Guelph, Gally had a good game in my opinion. I concur with That, he started off a bit slow and picked up as the game went on. I could see him at times getting visibly frustrated with his teammates (in the 2nd period on the PP he tried to cycle the puck behind the net but nobody was there). To me he just looked like he was on another level to the other guys out there. Watching him live, you really get a feel for how incredible his puck control skills are, it's seriously unreal. The way he reads the play and passes the puck is amazing to see live.

Just imagine if Yakupov didn't go to the KHL. They'd be absolutely dominating together.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Highlights, you don't see what he did on the assist though: http://sarniasting.com/video/index/id/1352521079

''The Montreal marvel''

Old
11-10-2012, 11:47 AM
domdo345

I guess if I ever get to choose again, I'll watch the stings instead of the Bulldogs. Seems like he scores every game now.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:29 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I watched the game last night, I swear I didn't see Gally's line on the ice for the first 4 minutes or so to start the game. Thought he had a good game overall and had a few nices chances.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I watched the game last night, I swear I didn't see Gally's line on the ice for the first 4 minutes or so to start the game. Thought he had a good game overall and had a few nices chances.
His line started the game, but only a 27 second shift.

Old
11-10-2012, 12:52 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
thanks, must have missed that cause I thought I saw the 3rd line out there to start and thought to myself that can't be right.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:44 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
They did not start, I was sitting behind the sting bench taking pictures of Galchenyuk. He wasn't in the starting 5, they got out pretty quickly though for their first shift though, also remember it being very short as well so rest makes sense.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
It's awesome that he's killing it in scoring, he started off the season a bit slow but he's really doing well now.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:38 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
It's awesome that he's killing it in scoring, he started off the season a bit slow but he's really doing well now.
He set up Boucher twice with golden opportunities also who couldn't convert.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
thanks, must have missed that cause I thought I saw the 3rd line out there to start and thought to myself that can't be right.
No, you were right. Galchenyuk didn't start but he made his way out shortly after. I guess they were preparing for a battle because by the time the 2nd period came around, Gally was seeing 1 minute shifts and even a 2 minute shift (PP time).

Old
11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Still unbelievably jealous that you guys picked up Gally. Ever since the leafs started their downward spiral last season he was the dude I desperately wanted. Glad to see him off to a strong start, you guys have an awesome 1C in the making here!

Old
11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Still unbelievably jealous that you guys picked up Gally. Ever since the leafs started their downward spiral last season he was the dude I desperately wanted. Glad to see him off to a strong start, you guys have an awesome 1C in the making here!
Reilly looks pretty special too.

Here's to Monahan being a Leaf and Drouin being a Habs in 2013.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:14 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Reilly looks pretty special too.

Here's to Monahan being a Leaf and Drouin being a Habs in 2013.

Aha I'd drink to that!

Old
11-10-2012, 10:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
You guys picked a hell of hockey player as well in Rielly, the best defenseman in the draft IMO.. But considering our respective lack of depth down the middle, Im pretty sure you would have preffered Gally over Reilly though..

At the lottery, I was more nervous to drop 1 spot than winning it and was so released to see that the Leafs werent going to move up..

Closed Thread