HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G Petr Mrazek (2010, 141st overall, Detroit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2012, 08:05 PM
  #101
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 22,465
vCash: 500
For those interested in Mrazek he is now 5-0-0 with a 2.34 GAA and a .921 SV%.

Considering his numbers just got dinged in Cleveland those numbers are really good. He does make the big momentum saves and is super confident. You can also see how much confidence he gives the team, they talk about how awesome he is all the time. One of the interesting things is I guess he isn't all that great in practice according to some and then the lights go on. I don't know if I like that or dislike it, I mean I clearly like he is better in games, but I wonder what that will do for him when he is trying to make the big club and earn time as a backup behind Howard.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:14 AM
  #102
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
For those interested in Mrazek he is now 5-0-0 with a 2.34 GAA and a .921 SV%.

Considering his numbers just got dinged in Cleveland those numbers are really good. He does make the big momentum saves and is super confident. You can also see how much confidence he gives the team, they talk about how awesome he is all the time. One of the interesting things is I guess he isn't all that great in practice according to some and then the lights go on. I don't know if I like that or dislike it, I mean I clearly like he is better in games, but I wonder what that will do for him when he is trying to make the big club and earn time as a backup behind Howard.
The way Mrazek plays though, do you realy want him diving around like that in practice and potentially pulling something? I could see him only working on his fundamental game in practice, which isnt as good as when he turns it on during games. Hes not huge so cutting the angle doesnt work, but combine that with him diving around making athletic saves hes on another level

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
  #103
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
How did Detroit score this kid with such a late round draft pick? He was picked #141 overall. How the heck did nobody else see this kid was a potential star in the making??

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  #104
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 22,883
vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
How did Detroit score this kid with such a late round draft pick? He was picked #141 overall. How the heck did nobody else see this kid was a potential star in the making??
He's a goalie. They're crapshoots, hard to predict.

Just from recent drafts

Lindbäck, 08 7th rounder.
Jaroslav Janus 09 6th rounder
Kevin Poulin 08 5th rounder
Dustin Tokarski 08 5th rounder
Johan Gustafsson 10 6th rounder

to name a few. All seem pretty talented.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 02:56 AM
  #105
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
How did Detroit score this kid with such a late round draft pick? He was picked #141 overall. How the heck did nobody else see this kid was a potential star in the making??
If somebody sees a pattern in Jimmy Howard, I could see a pattern in Red Wings drafting system.

"Where does this and this kid come from... such a late round pick."

It's the boom or bust system. A pattern from the last decades.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:34 AM
  #106
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
How did Detroit score this kid with such a late round draft pick? He was picked #141 overall. How the heck did nobody else see this kid was a potential star in the making??
Dude please, this happens with every draft and ''a potential star in the making'' ?

The Kings signed goalie Martin Jones for free because nobody even wanted to draft him. He's doing fine and he has played more than 5 freaking games....but its still the AHL. Truckloads of goalies are doing welll over there but never make it to the NHL, let alone being a star.

Not saying he wont be good but he's lucky if he becomes a back-up.

Some people overreact so much.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
  #107
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Dude please, this happens with every draft and ''a potential star in the making'' ?

The Kings signed goalie Martin Jones for free because nobody even wanted to draft him. He's doing fine and he has played more than 5 freaking games....but its still the AHL. Truckloads of goalies are doing welll over there but never make it to the NHL, let alone being a star.

Not saying he wont be good but he's lucky if he becomes a back-up.

Some people overreact so much.
Did you miss the WJCs? That was a star performance if I've ever seen one.

Even moreso, have you watched him in the AHL? More importantly, have you watched the Grands Rapids defense? It sounds a lot like you haven't. The kid is darn good. He has the most important thing a goaltender can have: an unshakeable belief in himself.

Which he needs because that defense is atrocious at times.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
  #108
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
If somebody sees a pattern in Jimmy Howard, I could see a pattern in Red Wings drafting system.

"Where does this and this kid come from... such a late round pick."

It's the boom or bust system. A pattern from the last decades.
Conversly, i think Mccollum is going to bust.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:42 PM
  #109
The Nose
#thefuture
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 7,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Conversly, i think Mccollum is going to bust.
He's basically has already...

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:05 PM
  #110
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Did you miss the WJCs? That was a star performance if I've ever seen one.

Even moreso, have you watched him in the AHL? More importantly, have you watched the Grands Rapids defense? It sounds a lot like you haven't. The kid is darn good. He has the most important thing a goaltender can have: an unshakeable belief in himself.

Which he needs because that defense is atrocious at times.
Have I watched the world JUNIOR championships and his 5 AHL games, he says.

The irony.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:43 PM
  #111
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Have I watched the world JUNIOR championships and his 5 AHL games, he says.

The irony.
So we can say a Jonathan Huberdeau or a Ryan Murray is a star in the making, but not Mrazek? That's the highest stage a player of his age could have succeeded on, and he knocked it out of the park. In case you're curious, he was also very, very good in the OHL. Now he's been very good in the AHL.

Also, that's not irony. It would only be ironic if what I said actually implied the opposite of what I said. I said he's done very well if you've actually watched him and that I think he's a darn good goalie. In order for that to be ironic, him playing well in the WJCs and AHL would have to in fact show that he's not a darn good goalie. It doesn't.

But even if you don't think he's played enough games, it doesn't mean he isn't a darn good goalie. It just means you think he hasn't played enough games. You might think that I'm saying he's played enough games to establish himself as an NHL-level good goalie, but I never said that. I said he's a good goalie, and there's no reason to doubt that from what he's done so far. He's done well at every level to this point. He's done nothing to show that he'll "be lucky to be a backup."

This site is ridiculous at times. A prospect can bat 1.000 or even .900 and people will still be asking about the at-bats he never had. You can only win the games that you play, and winning those games is the best you can do.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
  #112
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
So we can say a Jonathan Huberdeau or a Ryan Murray is a star in the making, but not Mrazek? That's the highest stage a player of his age could have succeeded on, and he knocked it out of the park. In case you're curious, he was also very, very good in the OHL. Now he's been very good in the AHL.

Also, that's not irony. It would only be ironic if what I said actually implied the opposite of what I said. I said he's done very well if you've actually watched him and that I think he's a darn good goalie. In order for that to be ironic, him playing well in the WJCs and AHL would have to in fact show that he's not a darn good goalie. It doesn't.

But even if you don't think he's played enough games, it doesn't mean he isn't a darn good goalie. It just means you think he hasn't played enough games. You might think that I'm saying he's played enough games to establish himself as an NHL-level good goalie, but I never said that. I said he's a good goalie, and there's no reason to doubt that from what he's done so far. He's done well at every level to this point. He's done nothing to show that he'll "be lucky to be a backup."

This site is ridiculous at times. A prospect can bat 1.000 or even .900 and people will still be asking about the at-bats he never had. You can only win the games that you play, and winning those games is the best you can do.
Yes we agree about one thing. This site is ridiculous at times.

I'm sorry that I would like to see a little more from this potential star in the making and do not want to compare him just yet with a 3rd overall pick like Huberdeau.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:35 PM
  #113
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 22,883
vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Conversly, i think Mccollum is going to bust.
I have yet see a man or woman who would bet otherwise.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
  #114
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I have yet see a man or woman who would bet otherwise.
Could be a long reach but id say theres prob a few people out there that still think He Can show us something.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
  #115
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Have I watched the world JUNIOR championships and his 5 AHL games, he says.

The irony.
Well did you see him with Ottawa? He's done well wherever he's gone.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
  #116
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Well did you see him with Ottawa? He's done well wherever he's gone.
Not even worth it. Some people seem to like to downplay anybody the Wings draft.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:14 AM
  #117
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 15,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Well did you see him with Ottawa? He's done well wherever he's gone.
Yea his numbers with Ottawa are great. Even better considering we really were a run n gun team. All about offence. Look at the backup's stats last season compared to Mrazek's considering Nishi got to play against the weaker teams.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
  #118
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Not even worth it. Some people seem to like to downplay anybody the Wings draft.
Yea I gathered that. Weird Im not even a Wings fan but I always really like their prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Yea his numbers with Ottawa are great. Even better considering we really were a run n gun team. All about offence. Look at the backup's stats last season compared to Mrazek's considering Nishi got to play against the weaker teams.
What I'm saying! He's done well everywhere, it's not too surprising he's doing this well.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:16 AM
  #119
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Not even worth it. Some people seem to like to downplay anybody the Wings draft.
I think it works like this: the Wings had some draft success, so people started expecting all the players they draft to be good.

This was cause for some skepticism (rightly so), but then it seemingly turned into the negative expectation that all of the players the Wings draft will not be good, or that they won't be as good as advertised.

The two things aren't logically connected, though. The "Wings scouting is amaaaaaaazing!" claims weren't grounded in reason, and neither are the "Wings prospects are always overrated!" claims. The falsity of Claim 1 doesn't entail Claim 2's truth, and on top of that, they're both being woefully heavy-handed. The fact of the matter is that you have to evaluate each prospect individually. Few people on this site care to do that or even can do that, so they rely on generalizations and hearsay.

or they just want to talk trash. One of those.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  #120
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
I think it works like this: the Wings had some draft success, so people started expecting all the players they draft to be good.

This was cause for some skepticism (rightly so), but then it seemingly turned into the negative expectation that all of the players the Wings draft will not be good, or that they won't be as good as advertised.

The two things aren't logically connected, though. The "Wings scouting is amaaaaaaazing!" claims weren't grounded in reason, and neither are the "Wings prospects are always overrated!" claims. The falsity of Claim 1 doesn't entail Claim 2's truth, and on top of that, they're both being woefully heavy-handed. The fact of the matter is that you have to evaluate each prospect individually. Few people on this site care to do that or even can do that, so they rely on generalizations and hearsay.

or they just want to talk trash. One of those.
I always felt before Jimmy Howard that DRWs were below average at drafting goalies. I always thought of Jimmy Howard as a backup at best. Now he's arguably the top 5 goalie in the NHL and All-Star.

Mrazek has something that many goalies don't have. I think he's going places... quickly. I am thinking he will be Detroit's youngest goalie to play on the on the team since Osgood.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:57 AM
  #121
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Not even worth it. Some people seem to like to downplay anybody the Wings draft.
No, some people dont know there's a big grey area between downplaying a prospect and an attempt to lower expectations.

It's the age factor around here. Too many 16 year old's.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:46 AM
  #122
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
No, some people dont know there's a big grey area between downplaying a prospect and an attempt to lower expectations.

It's the age factor around here. Too many 16 year old's.
At the same time, this is part of the fun factor of these particular forums. Posters want to get excited about their team's prospects. It has a decidedly bubbly teenage girl quality to it, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's fun to feel like your team is on the upswing.

If we wanted to be accurate on these kinds of threads, we would post the same stuff. We would post "Well, he's pretty good, but that doesn't mean he'll be good at the next level." Every. Single. Time. Being good at a lower level does not mean they'll translate to the NHL level, and we all know it. The problem is that it's not interesting to talk about, and it doesn't give the people who post here what they want. They want to have fun.

Maybe it leads them to flights of fancy when they're evaluating their team's prospects, but, again, that's the fun part. It's a fun forum, not a sober-minded forum where we compete to see whose talent evaluation skills are best.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:16 AM
  #123
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
No, some people dont know there's a big grey area between downplaying a prospect and an attempt to lower expectations.

It's the age factor around here. Too many 16 year old's.
What fun would the forum be if everyone thought "well, he was drafted 141 overall and he will be lucky to be a backup in the NHL someday?"

And it's not like this kid came from no place, he's pretty much dominated every level he's played. Most people were waiting to see how he would fair in the AHL level... and he's proving the AHL level is a simple walk in the park for him. He's just stopping pucks and winning games effortlessly. Before Mrazek came to the AHL, Griffins couldn't buy a win. Now they are on a respectable win streak.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:38 AM
  #124
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 22,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Could be a long reach but id say theres prob a few people out there that still think He Can show us something.
I am one who doesn't think he is done. He has improved a lot over the last year or so. The problem for him is that Mrazek has already passed him. Curiously even with this group of management the Wings have promoted some goalies. Osgood made it quite young as did Cheveldae. Howard really wasn't that great before he came up. Had he been real good I don't know that the stall tactics would have happened. Mrazek certainly doesn't look like a guy you bury in the minors for a long term. This year and next is probably all he will have to do before he is the regular backup.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:42 AM
  #125
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 22,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
What fun would the forum be if everyone thought "well, he was drafted 141 overall and he will be lucky to be a backup in the NHL someday?"

And it's not like this kid came from no place, he's pretty much dominated every level he's played. Most people were waiting to see how he would fair in the AHL level... and he's proving the AHL level is a simple walk in the park for him. He's just stopping pucks and winning games effortlessly. Before Mrazek came to the AHL, Griffins couldn't buy a win. Now they are on a respectable win streak.
Pretty much this, the team was in last place and sputtered out of the gate. He came up stole the job and they sit atop the division. Small sample size, sure but he had a lot of promise coming out of the WJC last year. He has done nothing but back that up. The way his teammates light up about him and their swagger with him in net is noticeable.

Also even though he hasn't given up a lot, when he has let in bad goal or had a rough couple minutes he rights himself and plays like a goalie much older than 20. His angles, movement and rebound control are all encouraging signs. Not everyone else has to believe, but Red Wings fans are rightfully excited, especially with Howard's uncertain status as far as UFA and what he will cost.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.