HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Looking For TV. Specs help!

Old
12-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Looking For TV. Specs help!

Hey, does it matter what hz I get? Friend said 120+hz.

Gift is for my parents. What would you recommend? Plasma/LCD/LED? I know which one is best and all that, but my parents don't even have an HDMI box, so does it really matter?

They don't game, either.

Last edited by Luuuongo: 12-23-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:42 PM
LSnow

Set a price range, buy tv that has at least full hd resolution, stay away from useless add-ons that increase price tag and buy the cheapest you can get with highest screen size.

It isnt worth it spending 200-500€ more on a "quality brand" when all the panels are made pretty much the same company.

Oh and dont buy Plasma, and the led thing is more complicated since just led on the box dont tell you anything how the screen actually works.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

120 hz is fine. eventually your eyes can't tell the different when you get past a certain hz. imo it comes down to room darkness/brightness. if they watch a lot of tv with the curtains closed go plasma, if they like a bright room all the time and natural sunlight go led/lcd. I think based on cost plasma is a no brainer.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Set a price range, buy tv that has at least full hd resolution, stay away from useless add-ons that increase price tag and buy the cheapest you can get with highest screen size.

It isnt worth it spending 200-500 more on a "quality brand" when all the panels are made pretty much the same company.

Oh and dont buy Plasma, and the led thing is more complicated since just led on the box dont tell you anything how the screen actually works.
Yeah, I'm looking at a limit of $600 before taxes. Should get a 40-50 inch at most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
120 hz is fine. eventually your eyes can't tell the different when you get past a certain hz. imo it comes down to room darkness/brightness. if they watch a lot of tv with the curtains closed go plasma, if they like a bright room all the time and natural sunlight go led/lcd. I think based on cost plasma is a no brainer.
It used for both, I guess? During the day it's bright, but at night they keep the room dark.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:15 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post

It used for both, I guess? During the day it's bright, but at night they keep the room dark.
Then get an LCD/LED (if they watch a lot of TV during the day). As for the HDMI thing, almost all TVs come with that connection anyways, so I don't think you have to worry about that. Also always helps in case they buy one (or you decide to give them one as a gift) in the future

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Plasma has the best picture and costs less. Get a Plasma unless the TV will be setup in a room with a lot of sunlight. LED is LCD it just uses a different type of backlight.

Plasma's have a 600 MHZ minimum refresh rate. LCD/LED have a 240 MHZ maximum refresh rate.

Get a 1080p screen.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Yeah, I'm looking at a limit of $600 before taxes. Should get a 40-50 inch at most places.
Couple of months ago bought my brother a 50 inch Samsung Plasma, 1080p, 120hz+ that was about $600? I think. Can't find it anymore... think it might have been a model from last year.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

boxing day is right here. I bought a 43 inch plama last year for 350. also remember a movie can be seen crystal clear at only 35-40 hz. so 120 hz is perfect for anything pretty much.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote