HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Steam is the best thing ever: (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Zodiac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Obviously it is a personal thing. I can not stand action combat - click, click, click type. Give me a combat that has some strategy involved like Baldurs Gate or DA:Orgins. Something that I can pause and think about my moves and find the best path to success. Click, click is more popular obviously so when a game comes out that has strategy combat (rarely) I tend to love it.

It just does not feel like a true RPG to me when it is all hack and slash and click click (for me those just feel like a FPS with stats); a true RPG to me takes thought and strategy, combat much like a chess game.

Again, obviously a personal thing but I wish there were more RPGs with pause/issue orders type combat. I guess I grew up on that as well as live DnD and that feels true to me; click, click combat feels mindless and unsatisfying/ ie.if you click fast you do good if you dont you die.

Probably could use its own thread on its own.
ya its personal preference, etc.

...i always felt that when you can pause the combat it takes a lot of the realism out of the game.

its like a group of monsters are coming after me, with clear intent to kill me as fast as possible ...but wait!!! let me freeze time so i can weigh my options and think about the best way to deal with the situation.

obviously things like that would never happen in the real world. if something was going to happen, you react on the spot with no way to stop things or to slow things down to your advantage.

and i never much cared for turn based combat in RPGs either. those types of combat just make an unrealistic gaming situation all the more unrealistic. .....example, 'wait a second there guys while i decide on how to kill you' ....'okay okay ...its your turn now'.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

But you are not a Wizard or Warrior etc... If you were I could see it and if you were you would know all your spells/moves/attacks by heart. To pause the game to find the spell that the wizard memorized or the move the thief knows makes sense. It does not make sense that a "hero" would go into combat or a story with spazztic tendencies of just click-clicking with little thought/memorization of his spellbook or moves.

It likely comes down to growing up with "table top" DnD. Where the Dungeon Master described a situation and you and your party reacted to that, and after the dice rolls reacted again. That is the type of RPG I like.

It is a thought of getting into the character. Not playing a game to click and kill and loot, rather playing a game to "fall into the persona" of the characters and acting like you think they would to advance the story. That is what an RPG is about; stats (while important) it is the story and the "role-playing" of a RPG that makes a great game.

No way is better than the other, just my way of getting the most out of a RPG.

This is going way, way geek .

Old
11-26-2012, 09:47 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
That is what an RPG is about; stats (while important) it is the story and the "role-playing" of a RPG that makes a great game.
That's one reason RPGs are popular though, there are many ways to take them. Personally I don't play them this way, I can play and enjoy RPGs with minimal to no story. What I want to see in an RPG is the character creation process taking precedence over player skill. After that the other areas of the game come into play. It's about guiding the character/party through the game, not necessarily role playing. I play them almost the same way I'd play a strategy game. This is why I really dislike easy RPGs for the most part.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Dylonus

Waited all week for COD:MW3 to drop to 50% off or more... I gave up and spent my Christmas money thinking it wouldn't... then today, it goes on sale.

I have 8 bucks to spend...

Old
11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Just beat KOTOR, really good game. Dare I say more fun than Mass Effect?

Next I have KOTOR 2 then DA:O then I'll probably take a look at Deus Ex. After that I'll look at some of the other games posted before.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 11-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 10:21 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Just beat KOTOR, really good game. Dare I say more fun than Mass Effect?

Next I have KOTOR 2 then DA:O then I'll probably take a look at Deus Ex. After that I'll look at some of the other games posted before.
Seriously, Sith Lords restored mod. It partially fixes the completely borked end game.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...d-content-mod/

Old
11-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Also, the STALKERS are pretty good as well. Personally, I never go deep into them, but I always seemed to have something else on the go. But, come highly rated.
People here are well aware of my love for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games but it's much more of an FPS game than an RPG. There are some minor RPG elements but I wouldn't call it an RPG myself. The wikipedia listing does a pretty good job explaining the RPG elements in the game:

Quote:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is primarily an FPS, but also features many RPG elements. The player does not gain additional abilities or statistics like most RPGs, but is instead allowed to attach artifacts which can increase or decrease player attributes. Artifacts found within the zone have both positive and negative effects except for some rare artifacts which have only positive attributes. There are a large number of items in the game, so the player has customization choices which are constrained primarily by how much exploring they do.

The game also attempts to blend the story and character interaction which are commonly associated with RPGs. However, unlike RPGs, conversation branches are extremely limited and do not significantly influence the course of the game, aside from accepting or declining missions.
Just keep in mind what is listed in the quote box. Is that the kind of game you want to play? They definitely are amazing games but if you want something that for example has leveling, you won't find it in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

Also just as a reference, if/when you get Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, download this unofficial patch: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

If/when you get the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (any of them,) download this mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Both fix a lot of bugs and make otherwise broken games into brilliant masterpieces.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

I must say this is one of the best things about PC gaming---the mod community and ability to make an average/broken game great...

Silly consoles...

Old
11-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Bought Witcher 2 played through the tutorial, really nice looking game. The opening cinematic is ridiculously beautiful. Controls seem a bit complex, but I think I'll get used to them and it will be fun.

Also bought Hitman Absolution, Max Payne 3, Dungeon Defenders, and Port Royale 3 which is surprisingly quite fun.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
I must say this is one of the best things about PC gaming---the mod community and ability to make an average/broken game great...

Silly consoles...
Heh yeah, unfortunately it's not a good business plan to focus on just making a great game with little time for bug fixing. Great end result for us years later but they're not around to make sequels! That's more of a case for Vampire but S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s developer fell apart too earlier this year before they can finish 2.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Seriously, Sith Lords restored mod. It partially fixes the completely borked end game.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...d-content-mod/
Already downloaded and installed yesterday. Hope it installed properly. I think they said you should be able to do tell when loading the game. I'll see when I fire up the game.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
BeBen*

I know some people here are interested in it so...

Old
11-27-2012, 04:36 PM
BeBen*

GMG has it for 30% off

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/e...ter/far-cry-3/

Get 30% off with voucher code: GMG30-0S3NJ-32J92

Last edited by BeBen*: 11-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
GTA 4 on flash sale. Not sure if I feel like picking it up since I beat it on xbox a long time ago. I never played any of the DLCs though.
I bought it during the sale and it was a PAIN in the ass to set up on PC.

Quote:
Garrys Mod FTW!

Old
11-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Epoch

Picked up Dues Ex: Human Revolution the other day for $5. Such a steal; its a fantastic game.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

How are the Alien Breed games? I said what the hell and picked all three up for ~$7 on GMG.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Picked up Dues Ex: Human Revolution the other day for $5. Such a steal; its a fantastic game.
Yeah, definitely one of the top games of this generation IMO. If it wasn't for coming out in such a blockbuster year, it would have gotten more deserved praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
How are the Alien Breed games? I said what the hell and picked all three up for ~$7 on GMG.
They're pretty good. I believe they offer co-op, let me know if you want to play through them sometime. I also own them all.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Blades of Time? Buy or wait for it to get cheaper than $10?

Old
11-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
I think Zodiac is the only one that bought it.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:24 PM
BeBen*

HOLY. ****ING. ****.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Old
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Zodiac

i'd give Blades of Time: Limited Edition 6/10 ...maybe 6.5/10 on a good day.

you might get some enjoyment out of it if you really like the hack n slash/ action adventure genre of games like Heavenly Sword, Devil May Cry, etc.

only buy it when its cheap ...ie, like $10ish or less.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
HOLY. ****ING. ****.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Old
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
BeBen*

Give the whole thing to THQ, they need it bad at the moment

Old
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If I didn't already have Darksiders, Metro 2033, and CoH I'd definitely get that bundle.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
If I didn't already have Darksiders, Metro 2033, and CoH I'd definitely get that bundle.
So you're saying no to Saints Row the Third and Red Faction for 5$? lol

Plus knowing Humble Bundle's tendency of adding games after a while...

Closed Thread