HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Steam is the best thing ever: (Part VII)

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

vCash: 500
I'll pick up the walking dead if it goes on sale

Old
12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I'll pick up the walking dead if it goes on sale
Me too. Mirror's Edge and TWD were the only two I wanted to get on sale. One down, one to go.

I would get CK2 but I dunno how good the GoT mod is.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komarov77 View Post
Wargame: European Escalation, anyone got experience about it?
A friend of mine absolutely loves it. I am almost tempted to buy it myself but I'm not that big of a strategy fan.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Oh no not another sale :/

Old
12-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
You only need 4 out of 6

even Steam is catering to the casual

So much for that Valve tweet about something epic coming, it's ****ing nothing

No achievements, no treasure hunting, jack ****ing ****

I'm pissed
It's pretty curious how Steam has dropped the ball on both their big sales this year, especially after they've done a pretty good job in the past. They're also facing stiffer competition than ever before. An Amazon marketing manager regularly visits gaming reddits and posts, and is now posting in the Steam sale threads with better sales than Steam.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Hey, I just joined the hfboards group

I'm looking for some new games, the ones I have with Steam are Civilization 5 and Football Manager 12. What are some of the better games I should get? Are any of the free games any good? Thanks.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
It's pretty curious how Steam has dropped the ball on both their big sales this year, especially after they've done a pretty good job in the past. They're also facing stiffer competition than ever before. An Amazon marketing manager regularly visits gaming reddits and posts, and is now posting in the Steam sale threads with better sales than Steam.
Amazon has had better prices than Steam going on 2 years now, people are just finally catching on. Plus Amazon offers DRM free when they can. Just one glance at their game front page has at least 3 games at their lowest price ever.

Thing is though, it probably doesn't matter to Valve anyway as they have so many of you hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
What are some of the better games I should get? Are any of the free games any good? Thanks.
What kind of games do you like to play? I'd suggest other CiV like games but their are not that many.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Hey, I just joined the hfboards group

I'm looking for some new games, the ones I have with Steam are Civilization 5 and Football Manager 12. What are some of the better games I should get? Are any of the free games any good? Thanks.

Both those are among my favorites. Something a bit different but along the same lines (turn based strategy) is the new X-Com: Enemy Territory. I am sure it will go on sale at some point during the sale.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Amazon has had better prices than Steam going on 2 years now, people are just finally catching on. Plus Amazon offers DRM free when they can. Just one glance at their game front page has at least 3 games at their lowest price ever.
The problem with USA Amazon is that it is does not work in Canada. I understand "cheating the system" making up a fake address, but for some reason that concerns me. For a few dollars here or there I would prefer to stick with something I know that I can trust from where I am.

Old
12-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Both those are among my favorites. Something a bit different but along the same lines (turn based strategy) is the new X-Com: Enemy Territory. I am sure it will go on sale at some point during the sale.
Cool, I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote:
What kind of games do you like to play? I'd suggest other CiV like games but their are not that many.
For computer, I mostly stick to strategy games/sports simulation games. Civilization and Starcraft are my primary computer games (freeware EHM dominated my 12-18 year old years by a stunning margin), with some Diablo thrown in. I keep my shooter games and RPG on my XBOX generally (Diablo is the exception, but yeah Halo, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War those types I prefer on console).

So yeah, anything involving strategy, puzzles, etc, that type of thing.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

I finally joined the HF Steam group too..haha

Going to try my hardest not to buy anything this year..will probably cave eventually!

Old
12-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post

i don't think they really dropped the ball ...i mean, they did have some decent sales overall ...especially on titles that are a little older.

BUT, when it comes to newer games, Steam, for quite some time now, hasn't been the greatest when it comes to deals.

Direct2Drive (before being bought out by Gamefly) routinely had better deals on new games ...and then there's GreenManGaming which almost always has better deals ...so Steam hasn't been that hot for some time in that regard.

i think its just that publishers know that Steam is the most popular service, with the largest user base, therefore they probably feel that they don't have to drop the price as much as they would on another service to get noticed.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Zodiac

i want Viking: Battle for Asgard ...but will wait to see if it drops lower.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211160/

i paid full price for that game a few years ago on PS3 ...played about 1/2 way thru it (maybe), and then just stopped for whatever reason (probably got addicted to another game).

but anyway, i remember that game running kinda bad on PS3 ...ie, lots of screen tearing, etc. so, for a low price, it'll be cool to give it another try ...with what should be a better overall experience performance wise/graphically.

hopefully Farcry 3 gets something like a 50% off cut, but i really have my doubts about that happening since it seems to be selling extremely well and just came out fairly recently. i'm thinking 33% off at the most is more likely.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:29 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
For computer, I mostly stick to strategy games/sports simulation games.
Well, the Total War series is good. The older ones go on sale for a couple bucks usually.

Paradox strategies like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, and Hearts of Iron are also good.

Then there is RTS/RTT, like Dawn of War series, Age of Empires 3, and Sins of a Solar Empire.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 2167
So I'm a new PC gamer, what have I missed specifically on PC that I couldn't get on a console?

I can't really play any multiplayer type of games right now because of the internet I have so for now I'm stuck with single player games...

Any genre is welcome.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Well, the Total War series is good. The older ones go on sale for a couple bucks usually.

Paradox strategies like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, and Hearts of Iron are also good.

Then there is RTS/RTT, like Dawn of War series, Age of Empires 3, and Sins of a Solar Empire.
I actually own this I think I installed it on my old comp, but never played more than a couple hours, don't remember why I never got into it. I'll have to bring it back out.

I'll look into the rest thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
So I'm a new PC gamer, what have I missed specifically on PC that I couldn't get on a console?

I can't really play any multiplayer type of games right now because of the internet I have so for now I'm stuck with single player games...

Any genre is welcome.
Civilization 5! Civ had an xbox game but it was terrible in comparison. That'd be one non-online suggestion.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:

Any genre is welcome.
Hard to say what you've missed if we don't know what you've played. What system did you use? What are some of the big titles you played? Also, what genre are you into?

Half-life, half-life 2 and ep1/2 also portal1/2 are a good start.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:47 PM
BeBen*

Quote:

Any genre is welcome.
Get this http://www.humblebundle.com/

and play 500 hours of Binding of Isaac

You're welcome.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Holy THQ Bundle. All that for 24.99
Yeah, that bundle is awesome if you don't have much of it. Unfortunately for me, I have most of it, so it's a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
i want Viking: Battle for Asgard ...but will wait to see if it drops lower.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211160/

i paid full price for that game a few years ago on PS3 ...played about 1/2 way thru it (maybe), and then just stopped for whatever reason (probably got addicted to another game).

but anyway, i remember that game running kinda bad on PS3 ...ie, lots of screen tearing, etc. so, for a low price, it'll be cool to give it another try ...with what should be a better overall experience performance wise/graphically.

hopefully Farcry 3 gets something like a 50% off cut, but i really have my doubts about that happening since it seems to be selling extremely well and just came out fairly recently. i'm thinking 33% off at the most is more likely.
Damn, we need to start posting the gamersgate deals here. I'm like 90% certain Viking was 4.99 (or cheaper) on there like 2-3 days ago.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Holy THQ Bundle. All that for 24.99
All the developer bundles are a great deal on the day they are highlighted. The problem is (if it a problem) that for those who have a few hundred games much of the bundle is already in the library (same with the humble bundles). However, if someone is building his library the developer bundles are great (just make sure to buy them on their "special" day).

Old
12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Turrican*

Ya the THQ collection is ridiculous...

Old
12-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Zodiac

a Crysis 1 playthough ...anyway, i really like the way the guy takes out the truck @ 11:25 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIN3ONaYkmo#t=11m25s

so cool.

and Crysis 3 is looking pretty decent ...

should really push the limits of top end gaming PCs.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Walking Dead at 75% off would be nice. I doubt it goes that low though.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Ya... I went with Hitman Absolution for 50% off.

Loved Blood Money. I just wish I had more time now.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:42 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
a Crysis 1 playthough ...anyway, i really like the way the guy takes out the truck @ 11:25 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIN3ONaYkmo#t=11m25s

so cool.
Hehe, That's what was great about Crysis. All the different ways you could do stuff. I loved taking out tanks using speed + charges.

Closed Thread