HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'll never remove my ear guards

Old
11-05-2012, 08:45 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

vCash: 500
I'll never remove my ear guards

I'm now a firm believer that it's a terrible idea to remove ear guards. Last night during a stick n puck, I was near the net about to clear pucks out of the net and some bender wasn't paying attention and blasts a shot and hits me SQUARE in the ear guard. It hit me so hard and square I almost thought someone swung a stick at my head. It hit only the ear guard, nothing else, I have no doubt in my mind if I didn't have it there I would have at least a serious concussion, and most likely a fractured skull.

It rattled my cage and nearly took me down, but totally fine a few moments later, thank goodness for helmets and ear guards. I don't care how un-cool it is or whatever reason people remove them, I'll NEVER remove mine after last night.

Anyone else a firm believer?

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Are those the clear plastic inserts on the side, or is there an extra piece of equipment that some people wear (and I don't notice)?

If it's the first one, I've never seen a reason to take them out (though I do play without a cage now).

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:55 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Are those the clear plastic inserts on the side, or is there an extra piece of equipment that some people wear (and I don't notice)?

If it's the first one, I've never seen a reason to take them out (though I do play without a cage now).
Yea they are the clear pieces built into the helmet, but most of them are easily removable now, and I see a lot of people doing it, including pros.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Safest thing to do would be removing the shooter's arms. I hate people who can't show a little respect at the rink.

SaintAnton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
AIREAYE

Playing any type of minor hockey requires them to be unmodified and left alone. I would think most beer leagues are the same, but I don't imagine a lot of them enforce it. Removing it also voids any warranty.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:51 PM
bigsick

i take them out, very uncomfortable for me.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I took mine out for my lockout costume. I'm going to put them back in when I put the cage back on.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsick View Post
i take them out, very uncomfortable for me.
Weird, I can't even feel mine. What kind of helmet??

Old
11-06-2012, 12:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The only time I find them uncomfortable is when I first put my helmet on and they kinda catch my ears.

But seriously, there is absolutely no good reason to take them off. Hockey players have been getting their ears severed for generations (Eddie Shore had one sewn on without anesthesia, and requested a mirror "to make sure it gets done right"!) and it's just pure common sense to have them.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:33 AM
shoeshine boy

agreed and I'm sure Scott Stevens feels the same way.
I have a couple of pro stock helmets that have them removed. I wore one of them in a beer league game to see how comfortable the helmet was and was nervous the whole time. I've since bought covers to replace them.
I know a lot of people think that they can hear better without the covers but the 2 best players in the world, Crosby and Malkin keep there covers on so that's good enough for me.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No reason to remove them for me. Some ear guards are better than others...I have had helmets where they rub against the ears or really mess up your hearing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:49 AM
jsykes

I take mine out. I hate them. I wear a full cage and would never step on the ice without it, but cant stand the feel of the ear pieces. Might as well have a football helmet on for me with them. They rub my ears and are hot.

I certainly see the benefit, but you gotta figure its a dangerous game and things might happen and where do you draw the line.

Do you wear a neck guard too, after all, there is no good reason not to and that could be a life saving piece of equipment rather than just a cut or concussion.

How can you justify ear pieces and no cage? Much more likely to be hit in the face than in the ear.

We all make our choices for various reasons, so no one can/should say "there's no good reason."

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Suddenly7

I just notice the ear guard on my helmet. lol I usually don't mess with any of my equipment other than my stick.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
I'm now a firm believer that it's a terrible idea to remove ear guards. Last night during a stick n puck, I was near the net about to clear pucks out of the net and some bender wasn't paying attention and blasts a shot and hits me SQUARE in the ear guard. It hit me so hard and square I almost thought someone swung a stick at my head. It hit only the ear guard, nothing else, I have no doubt in my mind if I didn't have it there I would have at least a serious concussion, and most likely a fractured skull.

It rattled my cage and nearly took me down, but totally fine a few moments later, thank goodness for helmets and ear guards. I don't care how un-cool it is or whatever reason people remove them, I'll NEVER remove mine after last night.

Anyone else a firm believer?
this is why i dont dig pucks out of the net

in all seriousness, i take mine out cause they chaffed my ears. its a personal choice and i havent had and adverse effects yet. same reason i dont wear a cage, its uncomfortable and rubs my chin raw.

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:01 PM
MattB43

Mine whistle when I skate (apparently because I skate so fast? ) but I leave them on anyway.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Not sure why you would remove them in the first place...there is a reason why they are there.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
noobman

I've actually never noticed those until right now. I'll have to double check my helmet to see if I have them or not.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
fish7

vCash: 999
i just bought a new helmet this fall and it is the first one where i could not remove the ear protector and it bothered me the first couple of games and then my line mate took a puck in his ear guard and he suffered a broken ear drum. It would have been much worse without the protectors so my ear protectors do not bother me much now

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I've never really felt them or anything... Too much hassle to take them out anyway...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:29 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I've personally never noticed them as being a problem. And in my league they will kick you out if you're not wearing them on your helmet, as they're pretty stringent with their insurance policy.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:40 PM
MikeModano9

I took mine out for rollerhockey like 5 years ago to let my hair be free. Still have them out.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:21 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I take mine out. I hate them. I wear a full cage and would never step on the ice without it, but cant stand the feel of the ear pieces. Might as well have a football helmet on for me with them. They rub my ears and are hot.

I certainly see the benefit, but you gotta figure its a dangerous game and things might happen and where do you draw the line.

Do you wear a neck guard too, after all, there is no good reason not to and that could be a life saving piece of equipment rather than just a cut or concussion.

How can you justify ear pieces and no cage? Much more likely to be hit in the face than in the ear.

We all make our choices for various reasons, so no one can/should say "there's no good reason."
HUH? who said I don't wear a cage? I do wear a cage. Not sure where you read that at. You need to get a different helmet, or a bigger one. I can't feel my ear guards at all.

And no i don't wear a neck guard, because clearly the odds of a puck hitting you is far greater then the odds of skates cutting your neck. Sometimes common sense isn't so common I guess.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
bigsick

Quote:
Weird, I can't even feel mine. What kind of helmet??
S19, but i have some flow. Took em out of my old bauer 5000 as well.

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:39 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
HUH? who said I don't wear a cage? I do wear a cage. Not sure where you read that at. You need to get a different helmet, or a bigger one. I can't feel my ear guards at all.

And no i don't wear a neck guard, because clearly the odds of a puck hitting you is far greater then the odds of skates cutting your neck. Sometimes common sense isn't so common I guess.
I can think of twice in the NHL that players have had their necks cut. Can't think of a single player getting hit in the ear with a puck. Maybe it's not as much 'common sense' as you seem to think it is.

If you're playing right, you shouldnt ever have to worry about getting hit in the ear with a puck, since you should always be facing the play anyway. There's a reason the only NHLers that wear them are mega star players that are more than likely paid extra by their respective sponsor to do so.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:47 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
I can think of twice in the NHL that players have had their necks cut. Can't think of a single player getting hit in the ear with a puck. Maybe it's not as much 'common sense' as you seem to think it is.

If you're playing right, you shouldnt ever have to worry about getting hit in the ear with a puck, since you should always be facing the play anyway. There's a reason the only NHLers that wear them are mega star players that are more than likely paid extra by their respective sponsor to do so.
Scott Stevens taking a Kubina slapshot to the ear...

Hendricks took a wayward OV shot...
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nhl/matt-hendricks-split-ear/

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote