Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2010, 01:18 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Federal Hockey League

The federal hockey league is set for 2010-2011.

Teams
Rome
Danbury
New York
Akwesasne
1000 Islands
Broome County

Each team will play a 60 game schedule.

Old
04-18-2010, 02:46 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/

League website

Old
04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Is this going to be as much of a disaster as the other semi-pro alphabet soup leagues have been the last few years? (MAHL, AAHL, NEHL, any other combination of letters these shysters have been using to "legitimize" themselves...)

Old
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Is this going to be as much of a disaster as the other semi-pro alphabet soup leagues have been the last few years? (MAHL, AAHL, NEHL, any other combination of letters these shysters have been using to "legitimize" themselves...)
The AAHL is scraping by for now and has a slightly better position in the Mid-west where there isnt as much competition from all the hockey in the Northeast. The team in Madison a mile away from Univ. of Wisconsin and the Kohl Center was a predictable failure and likewise the Detroit team close to the Red Wings and Univ. of Michigan. But other than it seems like that core teams are doing ok.

But I do agree FHL is gonna go down (probably within a year) like the EPHL, MHL, NEHL, etc..

Old
04-19-2010, 06:10 AM
wjhl2009fan

I think this league has a shot at doing fine there in good markets and have good people running the league.

Old
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
pelts35.com

If they survive for half of a season I will be surprised.

Old
04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I would not be they have very solid people running the league.

Old
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I would not be they have very solid people running the league.
They may have solid people running the league, but it just seems to me that the potential revenue streams simply don't add up to make this a successful venture.

Old
04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed.

Old
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
Agreed.
They have solid backers most of the teams in the elague are in good markets.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:18 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
They have solid backers most of the teams in the elague are in good markets.
That doesn't change the fact that the revenue stream may not be there to make this a successful venture. Further, you say they are in good markets (that remains to be seen IMO). How many fans are going to come out for what is basically a beer league in a local ice rink?

You are talking about a league that has no tv revenue, little corporate sales, low concessions/merchandise revenues and attendance between 1,000 and 3,000. That is hardly a recipe for success.

I give anyone who is willing to put up the money for such an endeavor a lot of credit. But it's very clear that there isn't a market for a single A hockey league. Single A baseball can work because, well, for one, it's baseball. For another it's summer and people will spend $10 to hang out outside to watch some baseball, eat popcorn and hotdogs and drink a beer or two. Single A hockey does just work. Very few people are willing to spend $10 to freeze their a**es off sitting in an icebox watching what is a putrid product.

Old
04-23-2010, 08:23 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that the revenue stream may not be there to make this a successful venture. Further, you say they are in good markets (that remains to be seen IMO). How many fans are going to come out for what is basically a beer league in a local ice rink?

You are talking about a league that has no tv revenue, little corporate sales, low concessions/merchandise revenues and attendance between 1,000 and 3,000. That is hardly a recipe for success.

I give anyone who is willing to put up the money for such an endeavor a lot of credit. But it's very clear that there isn't a market for a single A hockey league. Single A baseball can work because, well, for one, it's baseball. For another it's summer and people will spend $10 to hang out outside to watch some baseball, eat popcorn and hotdogs and drink a beer or two. Single A hockey does just work. Very few people are willing to spend $10 to freeze their a**es off sitting in an icebox watching what is a putrid product.
I see it much like major series lacrosse.The model is much the same no tv revenue limited concessione etc and the idea sitting indoors in the dog days of summer does not appeal to alot of people.I think you will be shocked at the attendance some of the markets gets ina good way.

Old
04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
minorlife

I wouldnt say this will be a putrid level of hockey. There are more than enough good players who will play in this league. I will agree though that anyone who thinks this venture is going to be a profitable one or a break even one is delusional. Rome has failed before and will fail again, they cant compete with D-III college hockey. Thousand Islands will be a failure of epic proportions. Akwaskne (sic) will be a huge failure and they are literaly on an island. Danubury and Brooklyn will draw well, and the Barons are a toss up although I dont think they will do well I give them the benefit of doubt. If they finish the year, I doubt there will be a second season. This is the EPHL all over again but in markets that arent as good.

Old
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorlife View Post
I wouldnt say this will be a putrid level of hockey. There are more than enough good players who will play in this league. I will agree though that anyone who thinks this venture is going to be a profitable one or a break even one is delusional. Rome has failed before and will fail again, they cant compete with D-III college hockey. Thousand Islands will be a failure of epic proportions. Akwaskne (sic) will be a huge failure and they are literaly on an island. Danubury and Brooklyn will draw well, and the Barons are a toss up although I dont think they will do well I give them the benefit of doubt. If they finish the year, I doubt there will be a second season. This is the EPHL all over again but in markets that arent as good.
Perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I say putrid.

I'm in agreement about what you say with the exception of Brooklyn. While their minor league baseball team draws well, I don't think that an A league hockey team will.

Old
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I say putrid.

I'm in agreement about what you say with the exception of Brooklyn. While their minor league baseball team draws well, I don't think that an A league hockey team will.
You may be shocked with akwesasne.When cornwall had a semi pro team a few years back at the complex they had very very good crowds.

Old
04-23-2010, 04:09 PM
minorlife

Never mind the fact that the AHL is looking to go into Cornwall for the 11-12 season right? Or that they are literally on an island, the coach is a LX coach, or that because of being on the island fans wont want to pay tolls on top of ticket prices to see hockey. Rome has had a few bites at the apple, Utica has a college team playing in the pro level arena that has an established fan base and the market cornered on advertising in the area. Thousand Islands has 1000 year round residents, and no one is going to drive 40 minutes to Alexandria Bay from Watertown or other areas in the middle of the almost constant blizzard like conditions the area has in January and February. Little to no research went into these markets, there was definitely no feasability study done in advance because there is no set of demographics that would support any of these three areas.

The problem with the "build it and they will come" theory is that it is a theory that has proven to not be reliable on multiple occassions in multiple cities with better demographics. I wish them luck, and I hope for the players sake they have the cash to pay them when the projections dont pan out, unfortunately the EPHL didnt.

Old
04-25-2010, 02:08 AM
adsfan

minorlife: What is an LX coach?

Old
04-25-2010, 07:34 AM
minorlife

Lacrosse

Old
04-25-2010, 03:11 PM
adsfan

Thanks, minorlife! For some reason that didn't occur to me.

I have heard of the Thumb of Michigan, but not the armpit.

Old
04-25-2010, 06:40 PM
minorlife

Armpit is actually representative of the whole state. As it is in reference to the country. Sorry I couldnt be more descriptive in the bio. In other words, unless you spread some good smelling stuff all over, the state warms up and the whole thing stinks! lol

Old
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM
adsfan

It has been a while since I was in the Great Lake state. I will admit that Detroit looked like Beirut the last time I was there. I plan to visit Sagatuck (one of the top 10 beaches in the US), Grand Rapids, Holland and maybe Traverse City. I have been almost everywhere else in Michigan. Frankenmuth is a pretty town, so is St Ignace.

To stay on topic, I will be surprised if the Federal League makes it in this economy. It is going to take a year or two for displaced people to get back on their financial feet. The 1000 Islands are nice, but there aren't many people up there. Doesn't Broome County already have a pro hockey team in the AHL Bingo Sens? How much hockey can 200,000 people support?

Old
05-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
If the league itself is a reflection of it's website, this thing won't last six months...

Old
05-28-2010, 02:35 PM
minorlife

Anyone else notice the "weekly" news hasnt come out in three weeks? I am hearing no tickets sold in three of these cities, no marketing presence in three cities, and nothing happening in any city other than Danburry and Brooklyn.

Old
05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorlife View Post
Anyone else notice the "weekly" news hasnt come out in three weeks? I am hearing no tickets sold in three of these cities, no marketing presence in three cities, and nothing happening in any city other than Danburry and Brooklyn.
I havent been following but i clicked on the website from the post above and they have a new website: http://www.thefhl.net. maybe that'll help

Old
08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

Hmmmmm....well.....it could work, you are basically going to be seeing guys who played in the Canadian Hockey League, Tier 2 Junior A, NCAA, and CIS as well as players coming over from the SPHL. Only 1 Canadian club however, in Akwesasne, I guess I will cheer for them haha. Carter Trevisani was a solid defenseman for the Ottawa 67's and he's on board. The website is www.thefhl.net

The Danbury Whalers sure got some sweet jerseys haha.

http://danburywhalers.pointstreaksit.../374/14970.jpg

Closed Thread