HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIII: The name is Cameranesi. Tony Cameranesi.

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafski View Post
Except of course this is a highlight package from only one game. What's more is that he does things like this nearly every game, and for the most part stands out and dominates most games. Couple that with the fact that he is very disciplined (barely gets any penalties), barely lost a step after missing nearly the entire last year, the constant mentions of his tremendous work ethic, as well as his performance in the NHL draft combine. There are other things i'm probably forgetting to mention as well. Regardless, one highlight reel goal ≠ all the things mentioned above. So is it really difficult to see why people are excited about him?

(i'll add though that some people are indeed taking it a bit too far, but to a certain extent you cannot blame them given all the crap we've been force fed over the last few years)
i don't blame people for being excited, we need something to be excited about. but as you say, its being taken a bit too far. the superlatives used to describe this kid are ridiculous. he's an 18 year old kid playing junior hockey, and he's among the best of them right now.

the hype continues, as it does year after year, only the names change. this is the same old song and dance, every promising kid is going to be amazing and win many stanley cups for the leafs.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

It's not the same thing.

Rielly is better than any prospect we've had since Damphousse/clark.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's not the same thing.

which has been said about many, many prospects since damphousse/clark.

until its different, its not different.

this time next year, it'll be a new name. rielly will still be a fine up-and-comer, but the superlatives will be saved for someone else. the next "special" player will be some new kid.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

we have not had any prospect since the '80s that had a legit argument for being the best kid in his draft class, or even anywhere close.

it's not the same thing.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
It's not the same thing.

Agreed and with more upside than both.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Acekicker123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
What's funny is mckenzie has come out and say he might be the best of the crop atm with the way things are going and didn't think burke was farfetched calling him their first overall.
Morrison has since clarified that Reilly was the top player on their board AT their selection.

Not #1 overall.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
which has been said about many, many prospects since damphousse/clark.
until its different, its not different.

this time next year, it'll be a new name. rielly will still be a fine up-and-comer, but the superlatives will be saved for someone else. the next "special" player will be some new kid.
Care to provide the evidence? Should be easy.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Frankie

Quote:
we have not had any prospect since the '80s that had a legit argument for being the best kid in his draft class, or even anywhere close.

it's not the same thing.
its all been said before. its the same.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Like Rielly and all, but it's almost erie hearing people talk about him and how similar what everyone is saying about him compared to what everyone said about Stralman.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

If anyone cares, Leivo has a head injury and that's the reason he missed the last two games

Old
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
If anyone cares, Leivo has a head injury and that's the reason he missed the last two games
Do you know if its serious?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
I hate it when the kids get this sort of hype. He's good sure.. Top of his draft class? No. Could he pair on the first line someday? Sure. Will he absolutely 100%? NOO. Coming here starts to get me depressed because when this kid doesn't step right in and light the show on fire, he's going to be a massive disappointment.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
johnnyutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Morrison has since clarified that Reilly was the top player on their board AT their selection.

Not #1 overall.
But burke said if they were up there with the first overall pick they would have selected Rielly...

Old
11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I hate it when the kids get this sort of hype. He's good sure.. Top of his draft class? No. Could he pair on the first line someday? Sure. Will he absolutely 100%? NOO. Coming here starts to get me depressed because when this kid doesn't step right in and light the show on fire, he's going to be a massive disappointment.
How is he not in the top of his draft class?

And when its not just Leaf fans falling into the Rielly hype, its people who are paid to sit there and watch/scout/talk about hockey for a living. When another teams play-by-play are excited over another teams player they are doing something special.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
Sadly ever head injury is serious. Hopefully Leivo isn't rushed back into action and he is 110% before he plays again.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
How is he not in the top of his draft class?

And when its not just Leaf fans falling into the Rielly hype, its people who are paid to sit there and watch/scout/talk about hockey for a living. When another teams play-by-play are excited over another teams player they are doing something special.
He was picked after 4 other players only months ago. He has shown to be worthy of being selected where he was so far, maybe even 4th overall; but by no means has he shown to be a better prospect than the top 3.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Quote:
He was picked after 4 other players only months ago. He has shown to be worthy of being selected where he was so far, maybe even 4th overall; but by no means has he shown to be a better prospect than the top 3.
Ryan Murray had a season ending injury, move him another spot up

Old
11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
This is all I could really find:

Quote:
The Wolves earned that win over the Battalion without the services of star forward Josh Leivo, after he suffered a head injury the night before against the IceDogs. However, the Wolves have been getting a little extra offensive spark from Mat Campagna and Nick Baptiste of late, Campagna with a goal and three points in his last two games, Baptiste with two goals and an assist in his last three.

"We're always looking for offence, so to have those guys jump up and provide for us is great," Cull said. "With Leivo out, there are added opportunities for those guys. It's great because we need scoring and it would be nice to have those guys continue to provide it."

It is unsure if Leivo will make the trip to Sault Ste. Marie tonight.

"Leivo was not on the ice today (at practice), so we're not sure if he will be available to us," Cull said. "We've still got (defenceman Mackenzie) Braid out also and we hope everyone else is available (tonight)."
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2012/1...hounds-tonight

Old
11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Ryan Murray had a season ending injury, move him another spot up
And how does that mean Rielly has suddenly become the better player or prospect?

Old
11-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Brody

Quote:
And how does that mean Rielly has suddenly become the better player or prospect?
It was a little bit of dry humor.

But, a healthy Rielly > an injured Murray.... Hell even, a healthy Rielly > a healthy Murray.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:17 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
It was a little bit of dry humor.

But, a healthy Rielly > an injured Murray.... Hell even, a healthy Rielly > a healthy Murray.
My mistake, a little hard to pick up on when I can't hear any vocal tone. They are very different players, and the only thing that separates them in my mind is that only months ago every team had Murray ahead of Rielly in their draft order's; if not all. If I saw both play without any previous input on either, I think it would be close.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Brody

Quote:
My mistake, a little hard to pick up on when I can't hear any vocal tone. They are very different players, and the only thing that separates them in my mind is that only months ago every team had Murray ahead of Rielly in their draft order's; if not all. If I saw both play without any previous input on either, I think it would be close.
The reason why I'm not too attracted to Murray is because he's nothing special, he's a safe pick. He'll be a consistent 20ish pt guy, like Martin or Gunnarsson. You can get players like that in much later rounds, especially much later than second overall. Of course people will disagree, but that is just my opinion. Rielly is a very special player to watch, he's not as "safe" as a pick as Murray is, but his potential is through the roof. Based on that alone, I'd rather have MoRiles.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
JVReemer

Quote:
The reason why I'm not too attracted to Murray is because he's nothing special, he's a safe pick. He'll be a consistent 20ish pt guy, like Martin or Gunnarsson. You can get players like that in much later rounds, especially much later than second overall. Of course people will disagree, but that is just my opinion. Rielly is a very special player to watch, he's not as "safe" as a pick as Murray is, but his potential is through the roof. Based on that alone, I'd rather have MoRiles.
I guess where we disconnect is our opinion's of Murray's ceiling. I see him as being more than capable of having an impact similar to a Suter or a Seabrook.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:45 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Do you have proof of this?
Murray is a very safe pick. He doesn't have the offensive of a Suter, or the physical presence of a Seabrook.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread

Quote:
After seeing Murray play live, nothing special is not a very good description for him.

Closed Thread