HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIII: The name is Cameranesi. Tony Cameranesi.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
  #651
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafski View Post
Except of course this is a highlight package from only one game. What's more is that he does things like this nearly every game, and for the most part stands out and dominates most games. Couple that with the fact that he is very disciplined (barely gets any penalties), barely lost a step after missing nearly the entire last year, the constant mentions of his tremendous work ethic, as well as his performance in the NHL draft combine. There are other things i'm probably forgetting to mention as well. Regardless, one highlight reel goal ≠ all the things mentioned above. So is it really difficult to see why people are excited about him?

(i'll add though that some people are indeed taking it a bit too far, but to a certain extent you cannot blame them given all the crap we've been force fed over the last few years)
i don't blame people for being excited, we need something to be excited about. but as you say, its being taken a bit too far. the superlatives used to describe this kid are ridiculous. he's an 18 year old kid playing junior hockey, and he's among the best of them right now.

the hype continues, as it does year after year, only the names change. this is the same old song and dance, every promising kid is going to be amazing and win many stanley cups for the leafs.

Frankie is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
  #652
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,970
vCash: 500
It's not the same thing.

Rielly is better than any prospect we've had since Damphousse/clark.

zeke is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  #653
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's not the same thing.

Rielly is better than any prospect we've had since Damphousse/clark.
which has been said about many, many prospects since damphousse/clark.

until its different, its not different.

this time next year, it'll be a new name. rielly will still be a fine up-and-comer, but the superlatives will be saved for someone else. the next "special" player will be some new kid.

Frankie is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
  #654
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,970
vCash: 500
we have not had any prospect since the '80s that had a legit argument for being the best kid in his draft class, or even anywhere close.

it's not the same thing.

zeke is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
  #655
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It's not the same thing.

Rielly is better than any prospect we've had since Damphousse/clark.
Agreed and with more upside than both.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
  #656
Acekicker123
Registered User
 
Acekicker123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
What's funny is mckenzie has come out and say he might be the best of the crop atm with the way things are going and didn't think burke was farfetched calling him their first overall.
Morrison has since clarified that Reilly was the top player on their board AT their selection.

Not #1 overall.

Acekicker123 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
  #657
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
which has been said about many, many prospects since damphousse/clark.
until its different, its not different.

this time next year, it'll be a new name. rielly will still be a fine up-and-comer, but the superlatives will be saved for someone else. the next "special" player will be some new kid.
Care to provide the evidence? Should be easy.

eyeball11 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  #658
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
we have not had any prospect since the '80s that had a legit argument for being the best kid in his draft class, or even anywhere close.

it's not the same thing.
its all been said before. its the same.

Frankie is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
  #659
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,816
vCash: 50
Like Rielly and all, but it's almost erie hearing people talk about him and how similar what everyone is saying about him compared to what everyone said about Stralman.

Hero is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
  #660
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
If anyone cares, Leivo has a head injury and that's the reason he missed the last two games

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
  #661
JVR2112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
If anyone cares, Leivo has a head injury and that's the reason he missed the last two games
Do you know if its serious?

JVR2112 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  #662
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 610
I hate it when the kids get this sort of hype. He's good sure.. Top of his draft class? No. Could he pair on the first line someday? Sure. Will he absolutely 100%? NOO. Coming here starts to get me depressed because when this kid doesn't step right in and light the show on fire, he's going to be a massive disappointment.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
  #663
johnnyutah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acekicker123 View Post
Morrison has since clarified that Reilly was the top player on their board AT their selection.

Not #1 overall.
But burke said if they were up there with the first overall pick they would have selected Rielly...

johnnyutah is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
  #664
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I hate it when the kids get this sort of hype. He's good sure.. Top of his draft class? No. Could he pair on the first line someday? Sure. Will he absolutely 100%? NOO. Coming here starts to get me depressed because when this kid doesn't step right in and light the show on fire, he's going to be a massive disappointment.
How is he not in the top of his draft class?

And when its not just Leaf fans falling into the Rielly hype, its people who are paid to sit there and watch/scout/talk about hockey for a living. When another teams play-by-play are excited over another teams player they are doing something special.

Jacob8hockey* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
  #665
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
Do you know if its serious?
Sadly ever head injury is serious. Hopefully Leivo isn't rushed back into action and he is 110% before he plays again.

Grant is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
  #666
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
How is he not in the top of his draft class?

And when its not just Leaf fans falling into the Rielly hype, its people who are paid to sit there and watch/scout/talk about hockey for a living. When another teams play-by-play are excited over another teams player they are doing something special.
He was picked after 4 other players only months ago. He has shown to be worthy of being selected where he was so far, maybe even 4th overall; but by no means has he shown to be a better prospect than the top 3.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
  #667
Brody
Registered User
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,443
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
He was picked after 4 other players only months ago. He has shown to be worthy of being selected where he was so far, maybe even 4th overall; but by no means has he shown to be a better prospect than the top 3.
Ryan Murray had a season ending injury, move him another spot up

Brody is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
  #668
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
Do you know if its serious?
This is all I could really find:

Quote:
The Wolves earned that win over the Battalion without the services of star forward Josh Leivo, after he suffered a head injury the night before against the IceDogs. However, the Wolves have been getting a little extra offensive spark from Mat Campagna and Nick Baptiste of late, Campagna with a goal and three points in his last two games, Baptiste with two goals and an assist in his last three.

"We're always looking for offence, so to have those guys jump up and provide for us is great," Cull said. "With Leivo out, there are added opportunities for those guys. It's great because we need scoring and it would be nice to have those guys continue to provide it."

It is unsure if Leivo will make the trip to Sault Ste. Marie tonight.

"Leivo was not on the ice today (at practice), so we're not sure if he will be available to us," Cull said. "We've still got (defenceman Mackenzie) Braid out also and we hope everyone else is available (tonight)."
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2012/1...hounds-tonight

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
  #669
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Ryan Murray had a season ending injury, move him another spot up
And how does that mean Rielly has suddenly become the better player or prospect?

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:13 PM
  #670
Brody
Registered User
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,443
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
And how does that mean Rielly has suddenly become the better player or prospect?
It was a little bit of dry humor.

But, a healthy Rielly > an injured Murray.... Hell even, a healthy Rielly > a healthy Murray.

Brody is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:17 PM
  #671
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
It was a little bit of dry humor.

But, a healthy Rielly > an injured Murray.... Hell even, a healthy Rielly > a healthy Murray.
My mistake, a little hard to pick up on when I can't hear any vocal tone. They are very different players, and the only thing that separates them in my mind is that only months ago every team had Murray ahead of Rielly in their draft order's; if not all. If I saw both play without any previous input on either, I think it would be close.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
  #672
Brody
Registered User
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,443
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
My mistake, a little hard to pick up on when I can't hear any vocal tone. They are very different players, and the only thing that separates them in my mind is that only months ago every team had Murray ahead of Rielly in their draft order's; if not all. If I saw both play without any previous input on either, I think it would be close.
The reason why I'm not too attracted to Murray is because he's nothing special, he's a safe pick. He'll be a consistent 20ish pt guy, like Martin or Gunnarsson. You can get players like that in much later rounds, especially much later than second overall. Of course people will disagree, but that is just my opinion. Rielly is a very special player to watch, he's not as "safe" as a pick as Murray is, but his potential is through the roof. Based on that alone, I'd rather have MoRiles.

Brody is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
  #673
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
The reason why I'm not too attracted to Murray is because he's nothing special, he's a safe pick. He'll be a consistent 20ish pt guy, like Martin or Gunnarsson. You can get players like that in much later rounds, especially much later than second overall. Of course people will disagree, but that is just my opinion. Rielly is a very special player to watch, he's not as "safe" as a pick as Murray is, but his potential is through the roof. Based on that alone, I'd rather have MoRiles.
I guess where we disconnect is our opinion's of Murray's ceiling. I see him as being more than capable of having an impact similar to a Suter or a Seabrook.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:45 PM
  #674
JVR2112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
My mistake, a little hard to pick up on when I can't hear any vocal tone. They are very different players, and the only thing that separates them in my mind is that only months ago every team had Murray ahead of Rielly in their draft order's; if not all. If I saw both play without any previous input on either, I think it would be close.
Do you have proof of this?
Murray is a very safe pick. He doesn't have the offensive of a Suter, or the physical presence of a Seabrook.

JVR2112 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM
  #675
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread
 
JacobimMugatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: f=253
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
The reason why I'm not too attracted to Murray is because he's nothing special, he's a safe pick. He'll be a consistent 20ish pt guy, like Martin or Gunnarsson. You can get players like that in much later rounds, especially much later than second overall. Of course people will disagree, but that is just my opinion. Rielly is a very special player to watch, he's not as "safe" as a pick as Murray is, but his potential is through the roof. Based on that alone, I'd rather have MoRiles.
After seeing Murray play live, nothing special is not a very good description for him.

JacobimMugatu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.