HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mackinnon + Drouin vs. Etem + Shinkaruk

Old
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

vCash: 500
Mackinnon + Drouin vs. Etem + Shinkaruk

Haven't seen the East guys, but together they are making waves in the prospects community. Some people are beginning to say Drouin could go top 5.

Shinkaruk was listed by most in and around the top 5 last year with Etem on his line. Now without Etem he is continuing to produce, yet he is beginning to slowly drop a few spots in most people's rankings.

Can playing in a dynamic duo really raise your draft status? What are people seeing in Drouin this year that they didn't see last year? Has Shinkaruk lost some intrigue without his allstar linemate?

Comments welcome from people who have seen either player live.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:08 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Haven't seen the East guys, but together they are making waves in the prospects community. Some people are beginning to say Drouin could go top 5.

Shinkaruk was listed by most in and around the top 5 last year with Etem on his line. Now without Etem he is continuing to produce, yet he is beginning to slowly drop a few spots in most people's rankings.

Can playing in a dynamic duo really raise your draft status? What are people seeing in Drouin this year that they didn't see last year? Has Shinkaruk lost some intrigue without his allstar linemate?

I do not think it's as simple as Shinkaruk losing favor so much as other prospects getting some.

Playing with other great players can never hurt, mind you, as long as you perform.

Keep in mind that Drouin also had a short season last year. His vision is now on full display, and it's something else. He is giving scouts a great reason to bump him up.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:28 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Jo is just that good, he knows when and how to raise his game... He has an amazing desire... He's overcome quite a few obstacles and has great support, he will succeed in the NHL because of everything he's been through...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:44 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Etem/Shinkaruk fan and I'm going with Mackinnon and Drouin.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:55 PM
tony d
The man

MacKinnon and Drouin for me as well. Have both going in the top 5 of the 2013 draft.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
ponder

Quote:

It can certainly help, but let's not forget that MacKinnon had just as much hype before he ever started playing with Drouin. Drouin's stock has risen a lot, but up until half way through last season he was playing midget AAA hockey in Quebec, and that league simply is not followed too closely (at least compared to major junior hockey). Drouin was extremely impressive in the playoffs last year, but nobody was willing to hype him as a top 5 pick based off half a season + playoffs. Now that he's tearing it up again this year, fans are getting excited.

As for Shinkaruk, I'd agree with Endersoldier, I don't think his stock has fallen, it's just that other prospects have really started to break out. Barkov has been extremely impressive, Lindholm has really been proving himself in the SEL, Pulock has been off to a great start, Drouin has been killing it, etc. Shinkaruk has some sick talent, but he's always going to be undersized, he's a bit of a 1 way player, and he's a bit prone to going invisible. It was easy to identify him as a top prospect early on, but as guys with better size and better 2-way games start to break out offensively, a lot of people are going to be dropping him a bit in their rankings. Even before this season started, if you had asked "top forward prospect in the WHL: Shinkaruk or Lazar?", it would have been a heated debate despite Shinkaruk coming off a 91 points season, with Lazar coming off a 31 point season.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
white57

Growing up in the Montreal I have followed drouin for the last four years and can tell you his desire and love for the game are second to none. He has focused on training hard and getting him to the next level. His skill set and hockey sense are that of NHL level. Hopefully as a hab fan some way he can up in a habs jersey one day.

white57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by white57 View Post
Growing up in the Montreal I have followed drouin for the last four years and can tell you his desire and love for the game are second to none. He has focused on training hard and getting him to the next level. His skill set and hockey sense are that of NHL level. Hopefully as a hab fan some way he can up in a habs jersey one day.
I agree with you, I've seen a lot of players play and score goals over the years... But none of them have the heart and pride that he does...

He will be a Hab one day.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I take Drouin alone.

@IHaveNoCreativity Drouin will be a Habs on June 28th, 2013. At about 7h45 pm.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

You won't see often a duo with this kind of chemistry in junior like Nate and Drouin in a near future in my opinion. Two players for who hockey is a REAL passion, you can see it through their eyes and their playing.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Easily Mackinnon and Drouin. They are so compatible.

If anyone is able to get both (ie Columbus maybe?) they'd be set for a while.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Jackson12

two years in a row with teammates potentially going top 5? has that ever happened before?

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:53 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

I agree with everyone saying that Shink is not falling because of his performance, but rather others bringing their games up.

It's best known as the "Stud Factor". Like in Nevada, when Bryce Harper was taken first overall in the MLB draft, a couple of his teammates also got picked in the draft, but if Harper wasn't playing their, they might not have gotten chosen.

To think of it in a different sense, I personally Shinkaruk would be receiving similar praise as Drouin is getting if he was playing on a line with Mackinnon. How filthy would Shinkaruk's numbers be if he was playing with Mack? I havent seen either Mackinnon or Drouin play, but am just bringing this up to stir conversation.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:06 PM
ponder

Quote:
I agree with everyone saying that Shink is not falling because of his performance, but rather others bringing their games up.

It's best known as the "Stud Factor". Like in Nevada, when Bryce Harper was taken first overall in the MLB draft, a couple of his teammates also got picked in the draft, but if Harper wasn't playing their, they might not have gotten chosen.

To think of it in a different sense, I personally Shinkaruk would be receiving similar praise as Drouin is getting if he was playing on a line with Mackinnon. How filthy would Shinkaruk's numbers be if he was playing with Mack? I havent seen either Mackinnon or Drouin play, but am just bringing this up to stir conversation.
It's definitely tough to judge, another good example from another sport would be Corey Brewer.

Sometimes scouts don't take this into account enough, and you get guys going higher than they should due to feeding off a teammate. Angelo Esposito springs to mind, he did have the injuries but he was still pretty weak for a 20th overall pick, and was at one time hyped as a top 5 guy. On the other hand, sometimes you just have two excellent prospects playing together, and one of them gets discounted unfairly. In this case Brad Richards springs to mind, great player and he completely dominated the Q, but people gave Lecavalier all the credit, so he slipped to the 3rd round. Personally I do not think Drouin is fool's gold, his hands and hockey IQ seem legitimately elite.

Last edited by ponder: 11-08-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It can certainly help, but let's not forget that MacKinnon had just as much hype before he ever started playing with Drouin. Drouin's stock has risen a lot, but up until half way through last season he was playing midget AAA hockey in Quebec, and that league simply is not followed too closely (at least compared to major junior hockey). Drouin was extremely impressive in the playoffs last year, but nobody was willing to hype him as a top 5 pick based off half a season + playoffs. Now that he's tearing it up again this year, fans are getting excited.

As for Shinkaruk, I'd agree with Endersoldier, I don't think his stock has fallen, it's just that other prospects have really started to break out. Barkov has been extremely impressive, Lindholm has really been proving himself in the SEL, Pulock has been off to a great start, Drouin has been killing it, etc. Shinkaruk has some sick talent, but he's always going to be undersized, he's a bit of a 1 way player, and he's a bit prone to going invisible. It was easy to identify him as a top prospect early on, but as guys with better size and better 2-way games start to break out offensively, a lot of people are going to be dropping him a bit in their rankings. Even before this season started, if you had asked "top forward prospect in the WHL: Shinkaruk or Lazar?", it would have been a heated debate despite Shinkaruk coming off a 91 points season, with Lazar coming off a 31 point season.
I was willing to bet Drouin could be a top 10 pick in this draft after watching him extensively in the Quebec series.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Mackinnon/Drouin easily. I'd take either of them before either of Shinkaruk/Etem.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson12 View Post
two years in a row with teammates potentially going top 5? has that ever happened before?
We were close very recently: Johansen and Nino at 4/5 in 2010, Tavares and Kadri at 1/7 in 2009. I can't think of it happening with both pairs in the top 5, though.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Jo is just that good, he knows when and how to raise his game... He has an amazing desire... He's overcome quite a few obstacles and has great support, he will succeed in the NHL because of everything he's been through...
I'm not too familiar with Drouin's past. What obstacles has he been through?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:41 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Schooling, financial... He's quit his teams a few times. He's been talked about for awhile in QC, I didn't hear about him till I got here.

He also had a few attitude problems, but apparently he's come around.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Mackinnon and Drouin both individually. Also, their chemistry is so insane that they devastate in 2v2 here. Also, I'm from NS so that might be why I'm leaning that way so much

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:42 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Yeah that's what he was like in midget I heard... And as for financial and schooling... Well, we will never the absolute truth behind that training camp debacle to start the 2011 season.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Mackinnon and Drouin both individually. Also, their chemistry is so insane that they devastate in 2v2 here. Also, I'm from NS so that might be why I'm leaning that way so much
My take, too, but I'm in the same boat.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:48 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Yeah that's what he was like in midget I heard... And as for financial and schooling... Well, we will never the absolute truth behind that training camp debacle to start the 2011 season.
True, but sooner or later it will come out.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
what happened in the 2011 training camp?

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
what happened in the 2011 training camp?
Drouin held out.... For unknown reasons..