HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Gretzky For Commissioner

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2005, 03:58 PM
  #1
tuckerdomi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Gretzky For Commissioner

I beleive the NHL should let go of Gary Bettman and bring in Wayne Gretzky. Wayne is the biggest hockey guy in the world. I beleive everyone will listen to what Wayne has to say, he is the most respected person in the hockey business. He has played the game, was the best player to play the game and is a very smart, knowledgeable person. If Wayne took over, this problem would be resolved in no time. What are your thoughts?

tuckerdomi is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 03:59 PM
  #2
Hemooli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hemooli Send a message via MSN to Hemooli
This was brought up before in past threads.

Hemooli is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:01 PM
  #3
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook
This was brought up before in past threads.
.... and its still a stupid idea. :lol

Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:04 PM
  #4
tuckerdomi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook
This was brought up before in past threads.

Sorry BUD I was unaware, thanks for the pointer.

tuckerdomi is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
  #5
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,900
vCash: 500
Why doesn't the Great One speak up?Try to bring both sides to compromise

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
  #6
tuckerdomi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast
.... and its still a stupid idea. :lol
Cant see why its stupid, Gretzky is the most respected person in the business of hockey

tuckerdomi is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
  #7
hackey
You're Not Bored...
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: You're Boring
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Gretzky is not tough enough. He will be eaten alive in active negotiations. When it comes down to it... do you really think the NHLPA gives a damn who the commish is? they will lay the boots down regardless because its business not personal.

The best ideal person would be Burke. He can stand toe to toe with any hardnose moron. He has the emotion and smarts and he is a deal maker and not a "me me" boot licker like Bettman.

hackey is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
  #8
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,463
vCash: 500
I agree Bettman should get shot out of a canon, but I can't see Gretz replacing him.

His management leaves alot to be desired and he has the personality of a coma patient.

Maybe David Stern is sick of the NBA?

Hasbro is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
  #9
WrightOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi
What are your thoughts?

...That you are about to become a punching bag for a bunch of raging fans going through a bad case of withdrawal.

He is a (co)owner, which may impede that scenario from developing.

WrightOn is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:10 PM
  #10
roadrunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: U Can'tTake Me Alive
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Why doesn't the Great One speak up?Try to bring both sides to compromise
Gag order. 99 is part owner of the Coyotes.

roadrunner is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
  #11
Riddarn
1980-2011
 
Riddarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,154
vCash: 500
I'd like Brian Burke as commish with Bobby Orr as his right hand man. The only problem with that is that Burke is for the instigator rule and he likes the current off side rules. At least he said so on cknw once..

Riddarn is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
  #12
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi
Cant see why its stupid, Gretzky is the most respected person in the business of hockey
Good, this isn't about hockey. This is about the business of hockey, a subject well beyond Gretzky at this point. Gretzky and his partners can barely run a team in Phoenix, I shudder to think what damage he could do while trying to negotiate a CBA or TV deal. Just because a guy is a well known hockey personality does not mean he is going to be a good fit for a business position. Unfortunately you need someone who understands business and law in the position. That rules out Gretzky.


Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:49 PM
  #13
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,229
vCash: 500
agreed, this is a very bad idea.

Ronald McDonald is the face of McDonald's, but you wouldn't want him as your CEO.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:59 PM
  #14
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Gretzky is not tough enough. He will be eaten alive in active negotiations. When it comes down to it... do you really think the NHLPA gives a damn who the commish is? they will lay the boots down regardless because its business not personal.

The best ideal person would be Burke. He can stand toe to toe with any hardnose moron. He has the emotion and smarts and he is a deal maker and not a "me me" boot licker like Bettman.
Yes, he did such a great job as the chief negotiator in the 1994 deal for the NHL. :lol

Burke has to be one of the worst negotiators ever seen if you look at his history and how contract negotiations blew up whenever he became involved. Being stubborn and opinionated is not enough, you have to have some skills and he does not.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
  #15
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn
...That you are about to become a punching bag for a bunch of raging fans going through a bad case of withdrawal.

He is a (co)owner, which may impede that scenario from developing.
Like Bud Selig???

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:10 PM
  #16
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 500
if you want an nhl where the pendulum swings towards the owners then there's one choice i would not disagree with.

and that's bob goodenow. we all know what he's done for the players. imagine if he was working for the owners.

just my two cents

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:13 PM
  #17
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14
if you want an nhl where the pendulum swings towards the owners then there's one choice i would not disagree with.

and that's bob goodenow. we all know what he's done for the players. imagine if he was working for the owners.

just my two cents
He started out his career as management labour law counsel with Unisys. He went toe to toe with the Teamsters and won.

I think the NHL hired the wrong guy.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:13 PM
  #18
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,463
vCash: 500
burke's had more commish threads than Gretz

Hasbro is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:17 PM
  #19
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Gretzky is too thin and not tough enough. He will never make it in the business world. Maybe he could run a Junior League but the NHL is just too tough.

Crosbyfan is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
  #20
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,229
vCash: 500
Better yet, why not have Crosby run the league?

He's THAT GOOD!

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
  #21
CarlRacki
Registered User
 
CarlRacki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Why doesn't the Great One speak up?Try to bring both sides to compromise
As an owner, I'm not sure Wayne would, or would want to, try to see things from the players' side or seek a compromise.
And he has spoken up.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/natio...zky050102.html

CarlRacki is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:22 PM
  #22
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
He started out his career as management labour law counsel with Unisys. He went toe to toe with the Teamsters and won.

I think the NHL hired the wrong guy.
yep, and then a partner with brian burke in a player management agency.

who knows what the nhl would be like if brian burke took goodenows path into the nhlpa, and goodenow took burke's into the nhl.

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
  #23
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Better yet, why not have Crosby run the league?

He's THAT GOOD!
No, No, Gretzky first, Sid can be "the Next One".

Crosbyfan is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:45 PM
  #24
arnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi
I beleive the NHL should let go of Gary Bettman and bring in Wayne Gretzky. Wayne is the biggest hockey guy in the world. I beleive everyone will listen to what Wayne has to say, he is the most respected person in the hockey business. He has played the game, was the best player to play the game and is a very smart, knowledgeable person. If Wayne took over, this problem would be resolved in no time. What are your thoughts?
Respected? Wayne is a whiney little twerp he ****** around selling his name shilling for anyone who offers him a few bucks. How could anyone respect him.

Not only that, but his bloodsucker father is even more replusive.

arnie is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:08 PM
  #25
B-MEL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Destin, FL
Country: India
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
blame Canada!!!

B-MEL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.