NFL.com says Bears No. 1 Super Bowl contenders

Old
11-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
NFL.com says Bears No. 1 Super Bowl contenders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...tle-contenders

At the midway point: 1. Bears, 2. Niners, 3. Texans, 4. Broncos, 5. Falcons.

Seventeen teams are named, despite the fact only 12 total teams make the playoffs, six in each conference.

And if one were to go by the above list, it is basically saying the Week 10 SNF game between the Texans and Bears is a Super Bowl preview, that the Bears will beat the Niners in the NFCCG, and that the Texans will top the Broncos in the AFCCG.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Well, it's a damn good thing the games are played on the field and not on blogs.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't think any team with Cutler can be the #1 superbowl contender.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He is QBing a team that had basically the same makeup in the Rex Grossman era and went to the Super Bowl, and we all know how bad Sexy Wrecksi sucked for them.

If Cutler doesn't channel his inner-Grossman, and the OL does average, you cannot put anything past them. Obviously, I don't want it to happen given my NFL allegiances, but I'm just saying, you can't rule out teams with strong defenses like that.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

The Bears are about to realize that depending on your defense to score touchdowns is not a wise strategy. They have a dominant defense, no question. But their offense has been inept to the same level that their defense has been dominant. Chicago has put up 300 yards of total offense in only 4 of their 8 games. Those 4 games were against the Colts, Cowboys, Jaguars, and Titans. Football Outsiders' DVOA metric is probably the best indicator of team performance available. DVOA stands for Defensive-Adusted Value Over Average. It measures a team's performance on every play of the season, adjusts it based on the strength of the opposing offense/defense, and assigns a percentage value to it. They measure overall DVOA, and DVOA for both defense and offense. The Bears rank 5th in the NFL in Total DVOA behind the 49ers, Patriots, Broncos, and Packers. Not surprisingly, they have the top defensive DVOA. You don't need advanced metrics to know that the Bears' offense is bad; but the fact that they rank 25th in offensive DVOA despite playing the NFL's easiest schedule is quite telling.

Chicago's defense will keep them in games against any opponent. It may even downright win them games against bad ones, as it has done a few times this year. But I have a feeling that the Bears' hype is going to settle down after the next two weeks. Remember what Green Bay's defense did to them? Now the Texans and 49ers are arriving at the party.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Bears have a good shot of going if they stay healthy. Let's see how the O-Line holds up the next two games.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Gootie
GOATie

God dammit, just let us stay under the radar.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
I view the attacks on Bears as credible contender same way I did the 06 claims that Bears were exposed and not going anywhere after the MNF debacle vs Cards and the loss to the Miami Dolphins. Infact come playoff time many picked the Seahawks and Saints simply cause the Bears were supposed pretenders

This years team is better in every aspect of football outside of OL (06 OL unit was better)

If the OL can make improvements in year like it did last year and become average the Bears are very dangerous offensively for some big play potential

Last year at time Cutler got injured the Bears were playing strong football and were being viewed as a legit contender

This years team is really building on the promise of that team last year

IMO they are a contender.. #1 ,,, I wont go that far (Until Falcons get exposed or 49ers falter I have them ahead of Bears slightly)

When it comes to it 49ers/Bears/Falcons/Giants/Packers can all represent the NFC this year vs the Texans (Who IMO will walk thru weak AFC)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

2006 - Rex Grossman - 23 TD's, 20 Int with a 73.9 rating.

2012 - Cutler - 12 TD's, 8 Int with a 85.3 rating.

Rex's numbers were actually much better the first half of 2006. I didn't think the 2006 O-line was that good at pass protection. 2012 Bears have been playing with the lead much of the year. Cutler hasn't had to drop back 40 times a game in order to win it.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
2006 - Rex Grossman - 23 TD's, 20 Int with a 73.9 rating.

2012 - Cutler - 12 TD's, 8 Int with a 85.3 rating.

Rex's numbers were actually much better the first half of 2006. I didn't think the 2006 O-line was that good at pass protection. 2012 Bears have been playing with the lead much of the year. Cutler hasn't had to drop back 40 times a game in order to win it.
Bears QB's (Both non-mobile QB's) were sacked 24 times that year

Thru 8 games Jay Cutler has already been sacked 28 times this year

The 2006 Bears offensive line was a solid veteran unit that were good at both pass and run blocking

LT - John Tait
LG - Ruben Brown
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - Roberto Garza
RT - Fred Miller

vs 2012 OL

LT - J'Marcus Webb
LG - Chilo Rachal
C - Roberto Garza
RG - Lance Louis
RT - Gabe Carimi

Its really not at all comparable ,, The 2006 line was light years better then this one and didn't have the breakdowns that the Bears have every game in blocking

As for the first half stats ,, Teams didn't have much scouting material on Grossman given he barely played up to that point in NFL.. By midseason the strategy to defeat Rex was clear and his game dropped off dramatically after he was exposed by Cards on national TV and almost every game Grossman had big that year was blowout games as well so not sure what point your trying to make. Grossman actually went out of his way to throw away games in 06 that the Bears D had to save him. Outside of game vs Packers the last 2 years Cutler hasn't been doing that

I know you dont like Cutler but to say the 06 unit wasn't good at pass blocking when it only surrended 24 sacks with Rex "Made of Glass" Grossman and Brian "Statue" Griese at QB and trying to compare him to Grossman who everyone knows was not a legit #1 QB is absurd

Old
11-08-2012, 10:19 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bears QB's (Both non-mobile QB's) were sacked 24 times that year

Thru 8 games Jay Cutler has already been sacked 28 times this year

The 2006 Bears offensive line was a solid veteran unit that were good at both pass and run blocking

LT - John Tait
LG - Ruben Brown
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - Roberto Garza
RT - Fred Miller

vs

LT - J'Marcus Webb
LG - Chilo Rachal
C - Roberto Garza
RG - Lance Louis
RT - Gabe Carimi

Its really not at all comparable ,, The 2006 line was light years better then this one and didn't have the breakdowns that the Bears have every game in blocking

As for the first half stats ,, Teams didn't have much scouting material on Grossman given he barely played up to that point in NFL.. By midseason the strategy to defeat Rex was clear and his game dropped off dramatically after he was exposed by Cards on national TV

I know you dont like Cutler but to say the 06 unit wasn't good at pass blocking when it only surrended 24 sacks with Rex "Made of Glass" Grossman and Brian "Statue" Griese at QB and trying to compare him to Grossman who everyone knows was not a legit #1 QB is absurd
Never said 2006 was better than 2012. I said they were not all that good at pass protection. Cutler is a much better QB but here is the difference. Rex would chuck the ball up there under pressure resulting in INT's. Cutler holds on to the ball too long for many of his sacks. Other thing he does is run towards the sideline refusing to throw the ball away. Rex would and should have taken way more sacks.
Also, 2006 offensive scheme was a joke. Marshall > Moose, Forte/Bush > Thomas, Benson. 2006 Run blocking was much better than this team.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 11-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Never said 2006 was better than 2012. I said they were not all that good at pass protection. Cutler is a much better QB but here is the difference. Rex would chuck the ball up there under pressure resulting in INT's. Cutler holds on to the ball too long for many of his sacks. Other thing he does is run towards the sideline refusing to throw the ball away.
An OL that gives up 24 sacks in 16 games ,, Is good at pass protection not sure how you can continue to claim otherwise

As for the holding ball too long.. He does at times but majority of his sacks are absolute breakdowns by OL (Especially left side) and coverage sacks (You cant throw the ball away while in pocket when you have no one open as it is a penalty)

And running towards sidelines has led Cutler to keep plays alive and make some big plays for Bears this year.. I would rather a QB take some time and try to create on run then throw ball away at first chance out of pocket

Old
11-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

And in Grossman's horrendous NFC Champ and SB performances the OL did everything it could

They only allowed 1 sack vs Saints and no sacks vs Colts

Grossman completely melted down as the season went along and just started throwing it with wreckless disregard

Cutler has shown time and again he can take a ton of hits and get right back up and be patient waiting for his WR's to get open... If he had a OL that protected like 06 unit the Bears would be terrifying for opponents on offense

Old
11-08-2012, 10:30 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
And in Grossman's horrendous NFC Champ and SB performances the OL did everything it could

They only allowed 1 sack vs Saints and no sacks vs Colts

Grossman completely melted down as the season went along and just started throwing it with wreckless disregard

Cutler has shown time and again he can take a ton of hits and get right back up and be patient waiting for his WR's to get open... If he had a OL that protected like 06 unit the Bears would be terrifying for opponents on offense
You are inferring some where that Grossman was a good QB. No where has that been stated.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:05 AM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Was gonna post this

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Martini*

I totally agree with the Bears being the number one Super Bowl contender.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:20 PM
MM425

You have to wonder how their o-line will hold up against a good defence like San Fran in the playoffs but if they get home field, you have to like their chances.

Lining up opposite this Bears defense at Soilder field in January is a going to be a tough task for ANY offence in the league, no question about it.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

Can't see the Bears winning.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
heutZe

The Bears' defense, Cutler, Marshall and Forte are good enough for them to win a Super Bowl. However, I believe if that o-line does not get better, they are in real trouble against San Fran and the Giants in the playoffs.

I'm rooting for them though..

heutZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:07 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I think Cutler is a good QB but I don't know if the Bears offense has the consistency to get through three or possibly four tough playoff games in a row.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
KH1

Quote:
Personally, I think that Cutler gets badly underrated because he's such a sullen jerk to fans and the media. He's a solid QB.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108

Quote:
All I have the say is Trent Dilfer. Perhaps Tony Eason.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

The Bears are a great team, but they haven't beat anyone great yet this year, the best team they beat was the 6-3 Colts. The record of the teams they beat combined is 21-37. Don't get me wrong they're great and they're certainly contenders, but the next 3 weeks will be interesting for sure against the Texans, 49ers, and Vikings. We'll see where they are then.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
darko

I think Niners are the best team in football.

Bears are good though. Legit contender.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote