Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

MLS 2012 Season Thread II

Old
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
KingLB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Don't think so... there's no plan in Detroit (apart from those lunatics who want to convert the Silverdome into a two story basketball/soccer stadium).

More like:

NY2 #20
Orlando #21
San Antonio/St. Louis/Atlanta #22
I agree with this.

And WOWOWOW Olave and Espy apparently heading to NY. And for Canadians, Johnson to Portland.

Dynamics of next season already getting shifted around with LA/RSL looking much weaker, and NY possibly locking up a top CB(when healthy).

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:50 PM
GarretJoseph*

The final details for a new stadium out in Queens, NYC is almost complete to ensure NYC gets the 20th team in MLS.

MLS has stated many times recently they will not go into any market unless its a soccer specific stadium. That knocks a lot of cities out.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

Quote:
.@SoccerByIves reports Salt Lake to trade Jámison Olave & Fabián Espíndola to NY, Will Johnson to Portland for big allocation $.
Per Grant Wahl

EDIT: Oops. Didn't see that somebody already mentioned it.

Last edited by kingsboy11: 12-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.
kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:26 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Olave to NYRB is a phenomenal move. A Quick MLS Established CB.

Pissed that they got Espinolda as well though. He is the winger we needed here in Montreal. I remember when we played RSL, he tormented our defence for 90 minutes running around and stretching our back 4.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
MLS has stated many times recently they will not go into any market unless its a soccer specific stadium. That knocks a lot of cities out.
And yet they have no plans for DC United and New England.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I read an article about New England planning on building a stadium

Old
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I agree with this.

And WOWOWOW Olave and Espy apparently heading to NY. And for Canadians, Johnson to Portland.

Dynamics of next season already getting shifted around with LA/RSL looking much weaker, and NY possibly locking up a top CB(when healthy).
Now they are saying Rafa to Cbus....oh the irony is great!!!

Quote:
NE and DC have owners....

Old
12-02-2012, 09:02 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

That's a pretty big shakeup, and not really a surprise; missing out on the knockout rounds of the CCL cost them a lot of allocation money, and now they're going to have to start the rebuild. Olave is a great pickup for New York, but I'm worried that Espindola could get lost in the shuffle.

Quote:
Don't think so... there's no plan in Detroit (apart from those lunatics who want to convert the Silverdome into a two story basketball/soccer stadium).

More like:

NY2 #20
Orlando #21
San Antonio/St. Louis/Atlanta #22
I tend to agree. I'm not sold on Minnesota. I need to see some real love for the Stars before MLS comes to life in the Twin Cities.

I'd put my money on San Antonio or Atlanta. So much talk has surrounded Atlanta, but SA is already building a stadium that can expand to something in the neighborhood of 18,000 (initial capacity will be 9,000). Orlando is working really hard to get a stadium, and if Rawlins can walk to match his big talk, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Orlando in MLS by the end of the decade.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Ugmo

DC has been trying to rectify their stadium situation for years. I guess I'm surprised it appears to be happening more quickly in Queens than in the DC area, but that doesn't mean it's not important to the league/DC's owners.

NE will get a new stadium when hell freezes over. Kraft couldn't even get an urban stadium for the Patriots, an institution in the Boston area. I don't believe for a second that he is seriously working on a new stadium for the Revs. He treats them like an afterthought anyway. He's probably just waiting for franchise values to explode so that he can sell them to someone who actually cares.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they're not going to threaten to contract charter members because they don't have soccer-specific stadiums...

For expansion teams...it's a legitimate worry. I'm sure Orlando would be allowed to play in the Citrus Bowl for an interim period...but it's almost certainly going to take a new stadium built specifically for Orlando City for Orlando to get a MLS team (just using Orlando as an example).

Who the 22nd team will be really is up for a lot of debate. I don't think Minnesota is necessarily the strongest candidate, but I think they have as good of a shot as anyone. San Antonio probably isn't the most desirable market in the eyes of the MLS (Texas already has 2 teams; San Antonio has minimal national footprint), but if they can get a stadium and an owner lined up then it'd be hard to say no. St. Louis needs interested owners with actual money (unlike Jeff Cooper)...St. Louis is the right place at the wrong time right now. Atlanta...also possible, but I can see the stadium issue being a road block there, especially since the Falcons are already trying to replace the Georgia Dome. Minnesota wouldn't surprise me as a sleeper that is the inverse of St. Louis, being in the right place at the right time. Who it is will probably be a few years down the road anyway, so a lot can change between now and the time the MLS is ready for a 22nd team anyway.

As Ugmo posted...I wouldn't hold me breath on the Revolution getting a SSS as long as they're owned by Kraft. A stadium in Boston would have to be build privately, and Kraft isn't going to do that.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-02-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:09 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

What's going on in RSL ? Why the shakeup ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Only thing I could see is a big signing comming up. Allocation $$ in return, they might have a couple of players on their radar that they might be able to fit in the cap now thanks to the amount of allocation $$ NYRB gave em.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
The final details for a new stadium out in Queens, NYC is almost complete to ensure NYC gets the 20th team in MLS.

It really needs to be the NY Cosmos. As much as I'm sick of all of Pinton's "Honor the Legacy" bull crap and the shadyness around that team since Steve Ross sold it, they really are a no-brainer to fill that stadium. I just wonder how much crap MLS will go through to get that name and colors in their league.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
KingLB

Quote:
DC has been trying to rectify their stadium situation for years. I guess I'm surprised it appears to be happening more quickly in Queens than in the DC area, but that doesn't mean it's not important to the league/DC's owners.

NE will get a new stadium when hell freezes over. Kraft couldn't even get an urban stadium for the Patriots, an institution in the Boston area. I don't believe for a second that he is seriously working on a new stadium for the Revs. He treats them like an afterthought anyway. He's probably just waiting for franchise values to explode so that he can sell them to someone who actually cares.
Kraft ain't gonna build nothin. So NE stays NE.

DC has been trying to get a stadium....problem is, DC just built a football and baseball stadium...

ATL if Blank is involved could happen. The rumors are ATL want an outdoor stadium...if they get it, you design it similar to the C-Link in Seattle(built for soccer to) and ATL can put a team there.

I disagree with the pessimism around SA, its just as good a market as any none NY imo. Recent expansion has shown having a market support a team is more important then a market that potentially will support a team. Det/Min/ATL/Stl/Ott all have lots of questions around them that Orl/SA don't have if/when they get their stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Only thing I could see is a big signing comming up. Allocation $$ in return, they might have a couple of players on their radar that they might be able to fit in the cap now thanks to the amount of allocation $$ NYRB gave em.
RSL was only able to keep their team together because of the CCL allocation. That plus Gil coming off GA means this team can no longer exist. That and damn was Johnson overpaid....250k for a meh player....

Also RSL doesn't do big moves....it will be a nice handful of SA players I bet. Like Morales and Olave and Espy were.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:18 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

What questions would StL have if they had a stadium? Obviously there would have to be an owner to help build the stadium, so that doesn't count.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

If St. Louis had an owner and a stadium they'd be a slam dunk...but they don't, and they're both kind of important.

San Antonio certainly is a good possibility for the 22nd spot...I just think that the MLS is hoping that a flashier market, like St. Louis, steps up.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
They're rebuilding. They needed to get back into the CCL to get the allocation money necessary to keep their core together. They didn't do that, so they're going to start from scratch by clearing up salary and gathering some allocation money to help shore up their losses from the CCL flame-out.

There might be a few more moves before they get done... and they'll start from scratch with a lot of younger guys again, would be my imagination. That's what their MO would suggest, rather than going after flashy, big-name DP signings.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
It really needs to be the NY Cosmos. As much as I'm sick of all of Pinton's "Honor the Legacy" bull crap and the shadyness around that team since Steve Ross sold it, they really are a no-brainer to fill that stadium. I just wonder how much crap MLS will go through to get that name and colors in their league.
I disagree with this. There would have been massive appetite for a resturn of the Cosmos back when MLS was getting started, but at this point it's been so long since they've been gone that the number of people who actually miss them is really dwindling. If you were 20 when they folded, you'd be at least 50 by the time they returned. Which is already much older than the young urban professional crowd that MLS has been courting recently and that's been such a boon in Seattle. Eventually you get into a Brooklyn Dodgers scenario, where everyone knows the name, but no one really cares all that much.

Botton line is, put a team in NYC proper and they'll be massively successful no matter what they're called, as long as they're not as poorly run over the long-term as the MetroBulls organization has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Who the 22nd team will be really is up for a lot of debate.
Agreed - NY #20 is a no brainer. Orlando #21 is starting to make sense. After that it doesn't seem like there are any obvious can't-fail candidates for #22.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2...oking-mls-home

Looks like Benayoun has an interest in coming to MLS. As a non DP, he'd be a fantastic signing, if he's a DP, I wouldn't like it as much.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
If St. Louis had an owner and a stadium they'd be a slam dunk...but they don't, and they're both kind of important.

San Antonio certainly is a good possibility for the 22nd spot...I just think that the MLS is hoping that a flashier market, like St. Louis, steps up.
Does San Antonio have an owner or stadium?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Benayoun was solid for Arsenal last season

Old
12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Does San Antonio have an owner or stadium?
Not sure about an owner with enough money for the MLS...but they're building a stadium for the Scorpions that is being built with the idea of expanding to 18,000 seats. That alone makes them a legitimate option.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2...oking-mls-home

Looks like Benayoun has an interest in coming to MLS. As a non DP, he'd be a fantastic signing, if he's a DP, I wouldn't like it as much.
I loved Benayoun when he was with liverpool. I would love it if the galaxy were to get him. And at a non-DP. Yes Please.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:40 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Not sure about an owner with enough money for the MLS...but they're building a stadium for the Scorpions that is being built with the idea of expanding to 18,000 seats. That alone makes them a legitimate option.
The MLS talk went out the door is SA the minute they elected an NFL-obsessed mayor.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:34 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleG View Post
The MLS talk went out the door is SA the minute they elected an NFL-obsessed mayor.
MLS is atleast 5+ years away for SA. So current politicians don't mean much.