HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v22: Chuckers gonna chuck

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 09:46 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

vCash: 500
I was just browsing through some mock drafts for this year to see what we could get if we keep our pick. Then I saw a preliminary mock for 2014. Check out the top talent for that draft:

http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Nice to see some home talent getting better and better.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:05 AM
shaner89

We need to finish bottom 3. This franchise is pathetic. Time to start from scratch

Old
11-11-2012, 10:08 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
I agree, I barely watch the Raptors ever since he started drafting all these Euro's that sucked ass. I maybe watch 2 games a year if that, I used to attend games but i'm not wasting money on this product.
I agree, to an extent. A lot of american players aren't interested in anything to do with TOR. It takes a lot just to get them to work out with us during scouting. Lots of players won't come here once they're told they will be drafted by other teams.

I feel the same way about the Oilers and Flames. If I were the GM there, I'd focus on players that are interested or at least not shy about my team and it's locale. If I were running the draft in Alta, I'd put a priority on WHL players. Like Burke does with size.

I know a player can be swayed in opinion after a couple years here, but if all things are equal and it's between a player from California or Latvia, and the Latvian seems more interested in TOR, I'm happy to have him. In the NBA he can be gone in what, 3 years?

Old
11-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Suntouchable13

Honestly, what is this franchise's ceiling? Indiana? Atlanta type of team? 2nd round fodder, in other words. It's very hard to see them being anything better than that in the foreseeable future.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
I agree, I barely watch the Raptors ever since he started drafting all these Euro's that sucked ass. I maybe watch 2 games a year if that, I used to attend games but i'm not wasting money on this product.
He drafted 4 Europeans in his tenure as Raps GM. 2 of them being Bargnani and Valanciunas while the other two were late picks in the draft that have stayed overseas. Are you sure you didn't mean free agents? If so I'm pretty sure all those European free agents (along with Bosh) helped clinch the division and award him Executive of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Honestly, what is this franchise's ceiling? Indiana? Atlanta type of team? 2nd round fodder, in other words. It's very hard to see them being anything better than that in the foreseeable future.
It's very hard to see any team pass the 2nd round with Chicago and Miami being the top dogs.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post

It's very hard to see any team pass the 2nd round with Chicago and Miami being the top dogs.
Take Rose off Chicago and there no better then us. You really need one elite player and the right support cast.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
weems

BC basically has one bullet left in his chamber.

He needs to hit a home run with Jose and His contract, Bargnani/Ross/ED as a trade package for a legit player or he's toast.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Take Rose off Chicago and there no better then us. You really need one elite player and the right support cast.
Ya right. They are much better then us even without Rose.

Did you see them play OKC right down to the wire the other night? You know the same OKC team that absolutely made us look like a joke of a team.

Chicago still has Deng, Noah, Boozer, Hamilton, Hinrich, Gibson, Robinson and they are a ELITE defensive team.

There 4-2 now without Rose. They played good without him last year in the regular season.

Theres no way the Raps are anywhere near as good as the Bulls even without Rose.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

Quote:
They're still one of the best defensive teams in the league, and Deng would be our best player if he were on our team.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Ya right. They are much better then us even without Rose.

Did you see them play OKC right down to the wire the other night? You know the same OKC team that absolutely made us look like a joke of a team.

Chicago still has Deng, Noah, Boozer, Hamilton, Hinrich, Gibson, Robinson and they are a ELITE defensive team.

There 4-2 now without Rose. They played good without him last year in the regular season.

Theres no way the Raps are anywhere near as good as the Bulls even without Rose.
Don't forget a top 3 coach in the league in Thibodeau, who has the same defensive approach and intensity of Dwane Casey, but Thibs actually knows what he's doing with his decision making in game..

Old
11-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
They're still one of the best defensive teams in the league, and Deng would be our best player if he were on our team.

Right behind Lowry.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Right behind Lowry.
I think it's pretty close between the two really.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Don't forget a top 3 coach in the league in Thibodeau, who has the same defensive approach and intensity of Dwane Casey, but Thibs actually knows what he's doing with his decision making in game..
Agreed. The Bulls will always be in games because they are tough, rebound well and always defend.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Once Lowry comes back, we'll starting winning games. LOL. I think it's time to trade Bargs for pieces... this team ain't gonna do nothing big.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Maybe if that one piece is Lebron. Adding a Rudy Gay or AI does not turn this team into a contender.
Andre Iguodala would have been perfect. We need a scorer. DD, Lowry, JV, Iggy... PLAYOFFS!

Old
11-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Andre Iguodala would have been perfect. We need a scorer. DD, Lowry, JV, Iggy... PLAYOFFS!

If we need a scorer then Iggy is not who we need.

Iggy is a fairly good across the board player and a good athlete but he is not a very good/great scorer that we need.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
and we dont have our first next year?

Old
11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
That would be a negative. Joakim Noah would eat the lunch of any Raptor big man.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:54 PM
thatshype

Alright enough people have pointed out that The Naz is absurdly underinformed about Noah, Deng, Boozer, and the rest of the Chicago cast.

Iguodala is not the SCORER we need, but he is likely a SF that could help us alot. The problem is...as others have pointed out in this/other Raptor threads...there's very little motivation for him to sign in Toronto (even at the max contract).

Old
11-11-2012, 08:03 PM
thatshype

I'll take a realistic approach and say that once Lowry comes back and the Raps' schedule eases up in the second half, Toronto will NOT finish in the top-3 and therefore we're going to forfeit our top pick to OKC (via Houston). It's not pleasant for the draft, but when Lowry is playing this team is probably better than a handful of other NBA teams. There are a number of teams that are worse in the East (or could be worse if given a key injury): Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, NOLA, Orlando, Charlotte. There are teams in the West that will probably go to town on the East, but are going to really struggle within their conference: Phoenix, Houston, Sacramento.

All-in-all, unless you are considering trading all of Lowry+Derozan+Johnson+Bargnani+Calderon away for scrap pieces and picks, the Raps aren't likely to be making a pick in the first round of the draft this year. Otherwise we'll probably not be in the top-3 and therefore OKC will have our pick.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Brody
nah.

vCash: 24591
Quote:
I was just browsing through some mock drafts for this year to see what we could get if we keep our pick. Then I saw a preliminary mock for 2014. Check out the top talent for that draft:

http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Nice to see some home talent getting better and better.
Anthony Bennett is in this years draft, good ol' Brampton boy, ranked top 5.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Hyperglide

If anyone is going to the game tomorrow please start a 'Fire Bee-Cee' chant please. It worked to get rid of Wilson last year. It might gain some traction with the media. Sick of this mediocre team going nowhere, and this flim-flam artist getting away with fielding (is this the word?) garbage teams and protecting his chosen one.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
If anyone is going to the game tomorrow please start a 'Fire Bee-Cee' chant please. It worked to get rid of Wilson last year. It might gain some traction with the media. Sick of this mediocre team going nowhere, and this flim-flam artist getting away with fielding (is this the word?) garbage teams and protecting his chosen one.
You are absolutely kidding yourself.

1) Nobody outside of the basketball forum communities recognizes "BC" as Byran Colangelo. Forum communities represent maybe 5% of the fanbase at absolute best, but probably less than 1%.
2) "Fire Wilson" had zero impact. Chanting will a) always take a backseater to the more intelligent minds, and b) only represent the more drunken of the ticket holders
3) "BC" will be let go based on team play, not based on fan chanting. Do you honestly think that a manager of one of the biggest sports enterprises in the earth cares about 200 people in the drunk level seats? MLSE cares about building a franchise that is marketable to 10+ MILLION fans (GTA plus patriotic fans across the country). Building a successful team (let alone a championship) is MUCH more intricate than playing NBA 2k13for PS3.

There is probably 0.85% chance that a "FIRE BEE CEE" chant will catch on at the ACC.

Last edited by thatshype: 11-11-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 12:40 AM
socratic

Man, the tone on here has turned around from a couple weeks ago.

Let's just take a little refresher:

Opening night, they lose on a 50-50 ball and some bad calls. Yes, you can say they should have played better so it didn't come down to that 50-50 ball and some bad calls, but that's what happened.

Since then, yeah, it'd be nice if they could have pulled in a W against philly, but did anyone really expect them to win any of those games?

Even with a healthy lowry they would have been underdogs.

I am not saying that they will suddenly turn things around and be world-beaters, but this is a team with a lot of fresh faces getting a lot of court time. They have a rookie starting centre, and they've played tough competition to start the year, including a west coast road trip which always sucks. Just give them a month before you start calling for heads. That's all.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Stats01

The year to fall flat on our face to get a #1 pick should be 2014. Getting Wiggins does more than just give us a superstar player, it gives the organization a Canadian superstar as the face of the franchise. It would do wonders for the fan base across Canada, the team as a whole, and the organization who would have a legit superstar since Vince Carter

If I'm Colangelo I take my hits this year and next. This franchise is going nowhere with guys like Bargnani IMO. We have some nice pieces but as the story is year after year we don't have any superstars on our team. I would do anything to get Wiggins.

Closed Thread