HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bars for in your 30's

Old
11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

vCash: 500
Bars for in your 30's

Help me out here HFOil, it's a friends birthday and we are planning on going out to a club for some drinking and dancing. Trouble is, we're all married with children now and are pretty out of touch with where is any good to go and where we might find an atmosphere where we'd have a good time. 10 years ago we'd be going to the Thunderdome, The Joint, Rebar or The Rev. Now, I have very little idea. Everyone has a decent job now so if it's a little more upscale, that's all good.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:38 PM
40oz

I really like The Mercer Tavern downtown, great vibe, bit of an older crowd but still really cool.
http://mercertavern.com/

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:33 PM
millpoo

The Common is a pretty cool scene. Definitely an older crowd. Love the music.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Muscles Glasses

On the Rocks?

Note: take my opinion with a grain of salt, I don't drink or go out to clubs. I just used to live at the apartment connected to OTR. :-x

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
There was a jazz club a friend brought me to the last time I was in the city. It was a really nice place..Pretty sure it was on Jasper or just off it. Someone who knows the city would probably know the place. Very mellow crowd. Mostly late 20's to early 40's crowd.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Valens

Next Act Pub off Whyte or Underground on Jasper are some favourites.

I gave Mercer's a chance, but I was served a Belgian triple in a lager glass. Needless to say, I have no intention of going back to Mercer's.

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I really like The Mercer Tavern downtown, great vibe, bit of an older crowd but still really cool.
Right here. Every other suggestion is invalid.

Auguste Escoffier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Unless you want edible food and a timely order that doesn't take an hour. Friend waited an hour for a steak that turned up rare(not medium well done) at the same time as the XLfoods e coli outbreak. Nice.

They didn't acknowledge, care, or even compensate for the complete steak that was left on the plate bleeding.

Mercers it should be noted is brand new and seems not to have their **** figured out. On some days a complete disorganized mess from what I've heard. Service being routinely stated as a concern. Either not being served at all, after a very long wait, or just lousy and rude service period.
Yelp reviews are a disaster.

Its a shame, a nice space, but owned by somebody that has more talent in redesign then in running a bar/restaurant.

I only went once, won't be back.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

Quote:
This looks more like a pub to chill out in. Do they have tunes and dancing later on at night or anything?

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
On the rocks on jasper has an older crowd and live music. Big dance floor and lots of places to sit.

Not my kinda bar but may be what you're looking for.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Valens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Unless you want edible food and a timely order that doesn't take an hour. Friend waited an hour for a steak that turned up rare(not medium well done) at the same time as the XLfoods e coli outbreak. Nice.

They didn't acknowledge, care, or even compensate for the complete steak that was left on the plate bleeding.

Mercers it should be noted is brand new and seems not to have their **** figured out. On some days a complete disorganized mess from what I've heard. Service being routinely stated as a concern. Either not being served at all, after a very long wait, or just lousy and rude service period.
Yelp reviews are a disaster.

Its a shame, a nice space, but owned by somebody that has more talent in redesign then in running a bar/restaurant.

I only went once, won't be back.
Yes! The food is mediocre at best, service suck and they don't have proper glassware for beers.

What it does have going for it is an awesome building and great location, so it does have potential.

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:03 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

I may be way off here but why not check out Hudsons or Obyrnes? I haven't been to the bar in awhile so maybe things have changed but thats where I'd be heading if I was in your shoes.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Free*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
This looks more like a pub to chill out in. Do they have tunes and dancing later on at night or anything?
On Sunday nights Guerrilla Radio, a local radio station, brings in DJ's to play on Sunday nights. Great for dancing.

www.guerrillaradio.ca

Free* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:29 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Not really.

I was gonna suggest Mercer's too. The Common is another one.

I say just go to lucky 13 lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:51 AM
pancirios

Only go to Mercer if you are okay with being crowded and standing, also found the music was even louder than most bars (which is saying something since all bars blast music). Really didn't like it there. To me a pub/tavern is more of a casual chill place and this was the opposite.

pancirios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
Yes! The food is mediocre at best, service suck and they don't have proper glassware for beers.

What it does have going for it is an awesome building and great location, so it does have potential.
Oh yeah, I acknowledged the owner picked/created an appealing interior. Its how its subsequently managed thats the problem. Being good at design is not the same as offering adept management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancirios View Post
Only go to Mercer if you are okay with being crowded and standing, also found the music was even louder than most bars (which is saying something since all bars blast music). Really didn't like it there. To me a pub/tavern is more of a casual chill place and this was the opposite.
Yep.

Mercer is of course a warehouse style rustic bar experience. Its supposed to offer casual comfort and relaxed atmosphere in its confines. What it delivers instead is stress the moment you set foot in the door, pretentious judging on the part of flighty wait staff who are anything but friendly, and who spend most of the night ignoring all customers until a Brad Pitt walks in the room.

Then the facility blares music in an ambient atmosphere who's best play is as a speakeasy type relaxed bar.

Mercer has no idea what its trying to be. I suspect somebody will eventually lease out this space and run it much better.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Stoneman89

The Piano Bar used to be the cat's meow, but then the kids took it over and it went to shyte, and ultimately shut down.

Best bar I have ever been to was a little hole in the wall down in Puerto Vallarta called Andele's.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Stoneman89

O2's by my place is a great local pub. 51st Avenue and a couple blocks west of 104th Street. Used to be the Cheesecake Factory and then others after that. A buddy went there with a friend on a Friday night, had a couple beers each along with their huge prawn special platter, which they couldn't finish and the bill was $18, so the price is right too. Real homey, comfy atmosphere, where you can have the pub/bar experience and still be able to have a conversation without yelling and getting a headache.

I like British Style pubs myself, so Obyrnes is great, but it can get a little loud, especially when they have piped music instead of a live solo artist. Also like Rose and Crown, lots of atmosphere and a great setting. Used to be THE place when Don Johnson ruled the ivories.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Yep.

Mercer is of course a warehouse style rustic bar experience. Its supposed to offer casual comfort and relaxed atmosphere in its confines. What it delivers instead is stress the moment you set foot in the door, pretentious judging on the part of flighty wait staff who are anything but friendly, and who spend most of the night ignoring all customers until a Brad Pitt walks in the room.

Then the facility blares music in an ambient atmosphere who's best play is as a speakeasy type relaxed bar.

Mercer has no idea what its trying to be. I suspect somebody will eventually lease out this space and run it much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancirios View Post
This X1000. I took the gf there a few weeks back and we left saying that the place was a total missed opportunity. It's an awesome building and they had a chance to do something amazing and unique for that part of Edmonton, but they just turned it into another Joey's or Earl's; too skinny waitresses and average food at a premium price.

I also agree with your music comment pancirios - this is always a pet peeve of mine. Decide whether you're going to be a pub or a nightclub - don't try to be both.

I would add that a place like On the Rocks has a bit of an older crowd. Sherlock Holmes/Rose and Crown/Moriarty's (all owned by the same people) would fit the bill. I also tried the new Kelly's Pub on 104th street the other day (across from Blue Plate) and the food was pretty good, although they still have some wrinkles with their service.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:19 PM
thalegion

I'm really digging http://undergroundtapandgrill.com/ not too busy good food and over 72 different kinds of beer.

Also if this is for sunday it's comedy night and cough.. i'm hosting cough cough

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
I'm really digging http://undergroundtapandgrill.com/ not too busy good food and over 72 different kinds of beer.

Also if this is for sunday it's comedy night and cough.. i'm hosting cough cough
This is a very good suggestion actually.

Not just a plug.

Mind you I haven't been there on a Sunday night.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:28 PM
thalegion

Quote:
This is a very good suggestion actually.

Not just a plug.

Mind you I haven't been there on a Sunday night.
long weekends are usually a little rough because it's busier so it is chattier, but lately since we've been rather established it's been good.

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:08 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
The Piano Bar used to be the cat's meow, but then the kids took it over and it went to shyte, and ultimately shut down.

Best bar I have ever been to was a little hole in the wall down in Puerto Vallarta called Andele's.
I've been to Puerto Vallarta a number of times, and Andale's is one of my favorite bars anywhere.

If you go there in your 30's, you're pretty young there, still a great time. I can remember going there in my early 20's and still liking it even though it was an older crowd.

I'm heading back to PV at some point this winter, and am looking forward to the strange, fun scene that is Andale's!

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:09 PM
TowMater14

I would Highly recommend The Red Piano. 4 of us mid 30 couples went there about 4 months ago and had an absolute blast. It has a great atmosphere. We pretty much started having a good time the minute that we walked n there.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:19 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 132
A few bars from my 30s. The American Bar is Budapest hungary had beers and whisky from around the world. The metemophasis in prague is great. Don't know of it is still open though it might have changed into a starbucks. Here in london the three kings is great

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote