HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Old
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
The talent is there, which is why I was shocked with the shoot out tonight. I expected some flashy Russian goals. Getting blanked was not what I expected at all.
Yakupov led off for Russia, and his disgraceful effort seemed to take the wind out of the sails for the rest of the team. it looked like they were just going through the motions to get the SO over.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
My completely unscientific read on Yakupov is that he likely suffered some sort of injury in the first period when he got sandwiched and his skate went up and hit the glass, because he really wasn't on the ice very much after that. I mean, there were some long stretches where he wasn't on the ice.

BTW, Sportsnet coverage is awful. I understand Morgan Rielly is a good player, but the way they kept harping on him all night, the poor kid is gonna bust so bad if he isn't the next Brian Leetch. There were plays where he literally did nothing, and the announcers were so busy talking about how good he was, that they were neglecting the great play of some other players.

I really thought Hunter Shinkaruk was the best player in the game, taking the puck hard to the net, making great passes, hitting, coming back to help out. Then he scored that key first goal in the shoot-out that got the crowd out of their seats.

Also, who here is sick of that Shreddies commercial: "Honey, honey, you're so sweet, you know I love you head to feet!" I'm pretty sure it runs on an endless loop in hell. Good God!
Those guys have been more like fans than broadcast journalists. Any good play by Morgan Reilly is just hugely overblown.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
My god. I expected it to he bad but not THIS bad. I really, really wish Morgan Reilly was not on national television.
I'm not surprised at all. I have been saying since last years WHL playoffs that Rielly could be a 1st overall pick. He is a special player and an elite talent.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Which Goalies will be starting tonight?
Comrie is already confirmed

Have no clue for Russia, if history repeats then Vasilevski should start, but I can also see Ustinski getting another start.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
You must not have watched the game then. He looked like a man amongst boys in a tournament like this...
Haha, what? A man amongst boys is like Charlie Coyle during his freshman year in Boston against 24 year olds, or Jaskin in Moncton currently.

Just because the kid is a better skater and better hockey IQ than 90% of players out there doesn't mean it's a man amongst boys, just means he has better strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caley
I really thought Hunter Shinkaruk was the best player in the game, taking the puck hard to the net, making great passes, hitting, coming back to help out. Then he scored that key first goal in the shoot-out that got the crowd out of their seats.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would love to know how (and why) Shinkaruk was better than Sissons?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Haha, what? A man amongst boys is like Charlie Coyle during his freshman year in Boston against 24 year olds, or Jaskin in Moncton currently.

Just because the kid is a better skater and better hockey IQ than 90% of players out there doesn't mean it's a man amongst boys, just means he has better strength.
A man amongst boys is exactly what it sounds like. He looks like the older brother playing against younger brother and friends. Like dad against little timmy. He did whatever he wanted out there and this is against the best of his peers.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
You must not have watched the game then. He looked like a man amongst boys in a tournament like this...
I wasn't talking about his performance, I was talking about posts like yours. Ridiculous over hype.

11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
ponder

I was at the game last night (1st WHL game, in Vancouver). I wasn't specifically trying to scout or anything, I was mostly just watching the game, but I did focus a bit on some of the top prospects. It was a very hard hitting, defensive game, both teams played well defensively, but not so well offensively. My thoughts on some of the top prospects:

Team WHL:

Morgan Rielly:
I'm a Leafs fan, so I was focusing on Rielly the most. I thought he was Team WHL's best offensive player. Was very aggressive offensively, and just so shifty with the puck. Even with a defender draped all over him, he was so calm and would consistently spin away from them. Team mates should have looked for him more, he was one of the few guys making things happen offensively. Wasn't dangerous with his shot, though, was mostly just dangling and passing. Wasn't great defensively, probably Canada's weakest dman in his own zone. Was easily outmuscled, ate the odd big hit, and got caught out of position a couple times in the neutral zone and the defensive zone. Still a work in progress, despite his excellent talent with the puck.

Dumba:
Had a strong game IMO. Well rounded offensive force, can skate with the puck, pass and shoot. Fairly physical/chippy too, and played well defensively. Had a few plays that showcased his "meh" hockey IQ, when a great pass seemed really obvious but he held onto the puck too long, but overall a strong showing.

Ryan Murray:
Standard Murray game, didn't really stand out but was rock solid all over the ice. Decent offensively, great defensively, no mistakes and never caught out of position.

Pulock:
The only player on team Canada who was really unleashing bombs from the point. Played a solid 2-way game as well. Wasn't trying anything crazy with the puck, but had a positive impact at both ends of the ice. He will be an NHL player sooner rather than later, after being drafted I don't see him spending more than 1 extra year in the dub, depending on the team he might be able to make the NHL immediately.

Shinkaruk:
Canada's best forward IMO, at least in terms of generating offence. He was the only Canadian forward consistently making things happen offensively. Knew where to go without the puck, and displayed a high skill level with the puck. Flashes of Kessel/Kane, not as talented, but also more physical/chippier.

Lazar:
Solid defensively, nice backchecking and forechecking, few mistakes. On the other hand, he was completely invisible offensively, did nothing with the puck. Still not sure I see him as a top 10 pick like many do.

Team Russia:

Nichuskin:
Was planning to mostly look out for the Canadians and Yakupov, but couldn't take my eyes off Nichuskin. Big, strong, excellent skater, very dynamic and dangerous with the puck. The best forward on either team this game, especially in the 1st and 2nd periods. Some have suggested that he's a bit selfish, and I guess I can see that, but at the same time he's so talented that he SHOULD be aggressively trying to make things happen. Think a Rick Nash or Taylor Hall type of player, a big, physical winger who will really attack the opposition with power AND finesse. If he was Canadian, he'd go VERY high in the draft, but the Russian factor could be scary. Who knows if he even wants to come over?

Yakupov:
Flashes of brilliances, where he'd seemingly say "screw it, I'm making something happen," and have all the Canadian players on their heels. However, mostly invisible/neutralized other than these flashes. Played better in the 3rd period than in the first 2. Overall not a great game by his standards, though his high end talent was still obvious.

Side note: a scout for the Jets was sitting somewhat close to me, was hoping to ask him his thoughts after the game, but didn't see him on the way out

Last edited by ponder: 11-15-2012 at 11:49 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:38 AM
TieClark

Quote:
I wasn't talking about his performance, I was talking about posts like yours. Ridiculous over hype.
It's not overhyping in any way. Are we supposed to ignore his performance because that suddenly means he's going to become Bobby Orr? The guy looked amazing...

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
b in vancouver

I've been ridiculously busy and haven't been able to watch. Had to sacrifice my tickets out here on the wet coast last night but...

I was wondering what people's impression of Khokholachev has been throughout the series?

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:22 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
It would be comforting to think that they were just looking ahead to the WJC, but what seems more likely is Canada is playing tough, sound defense, and the Russians haven't been able to do anything to overcome it. There is an obvious motivation issue, they are not fighting as hard as they could, and I always go back to what the coach demands of his players. I think Varnakov has failed to win their attention and respect, and their lackluster play is a by-product of that.
Russia's ability to go through extended periods of domination makes me think it's more motivation than anything else, but I also suspect that the defensive approach has led to disjointed offence. A lot of the time it looks like three on five, which is an issue that has plagued Canada as well. Maybe they will respect the coach when he starts dressing like a coach instead of a hockey dad.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

2012 11/14/2012 Super Series WHL vs. Russia - Game Report

Quote:
#19 LW Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)

Shinkaruk had an okay showing tonight. He wasn't really effective offensively, but his skills were obvious. He wasn't as fast or elusive as I thought he would be, but is alot stronger and alot more balanced on his skates than I expected. He isn't the biggest guy but with his strong base, he can dish out solid hits. He thinks the game quickly and can make plays at fast speeds. Tonight, he was obviously outmuscled, but with Shinkaruk, he is all about potential. Right now, he is an okay to good player, but with a magic touch of muscle (say 10-20lbs?), he could end up as an elite player. He has the tools, he just needs a catalyst.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Get used to it, will be increased a few notches for the World Juniors.

Nice write up from ponder, nice to see an accurate assessment of The Holy One.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Anyone have the KHL roster for tonight? The game is in Victoria tonight and I want to know if Yakupov is playing and if he is I'll go for sure

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Anyone have the KHL roster for tonight? The game is in Victoria tonight and I want to know if Yakupov is playing and if he is I'll go for sure
http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/page/russia-roster

The QMJHL and OHL guys only play against their league. Yakupov is playing every game, will surely be in the line up.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
You're a few days late. Dougie Hamilton played in the OHL games.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Russia's ability to go through extended periods of domination makes me think it's more motivation than anything else, but I also suspect that the defensive approach has led to disjointed offence. A lot of the time it looks like three on five, which is an issue that has plagued Canada as well. Maybe they will respect the coach when he starts dressing like a coach instead of a hockey dad.
Varnakov and his staff look ridiculous in those letter jackets. I have no problem with a defensive approach that keeps the puck out of the defensive zone. Offensively, with the exception of Nichushkin, nobody is driving hard to the net to create chances. Not enough forwards trying to establish position down low where they can convert passes. I can't tell for sure if its poor coaching or indifference.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:

Just like everyone had to get use of the over hyping of Jesu... I mean Dougie Hamilton. Rielly had a great game last night, and is deserving of every single compliment he has gotten.

Last edited by Hennig: 11-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
It's not overhyping in any way. Are we supposed to ignore his performance because that suddenly means he's going to become Bobby Orr? The guy looked amazing...
Wearing jet logo/colours? or you recognized him?

One good thing about the lockout is that the Jets have increased their scouting not cut back as some teams have done. Having Charlie Huddy scout defenseman and Pascal Vincent scout his turf in the Q will produce positive results , and with multiple picks in the first three rounds , there is some benefit to the lockout.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
No, no, no. Listen to that guy. He knows more than hockey people like Bobby Mac.

During the game:
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
As only team to not make playoffs since last lockout, TOR fans could use some good news. Here it is: Morgan Rielly. Outstanding
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
also
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ferraro
Ray Ferraro ‏@rayferrarotsn
Morgan Reilly is good Leafs fans.. Slippery, wonderful skater -- reminds me a bit of Scott Neidermeyer #Subwayseries

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Side note: a scout for the Jets was sitting somewhat close to me, was hoping to ask him his thoughts after the game, but didn't see him on the way out
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post

One good thing about the lockout is that the Jets have increased their scouting not cut back as some teams have done. Having Charlie Huddy scout defenseman and Pascal Vincent scout his turf in the Q will produce positive results , and with multiple picks in the first three rounds , there is some benefit to the lockout.
I think this is what jetkarma was try to quote

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post

Jets logo, was sitting in the corner in the top section, and was taking notes during the game.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 04:50 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Jets logo, was sitting in the corner in the top section, and was taking notes during the game.

Cool ...always in the corners !

Old
11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I think this is what jetkarma was try to quote

merci.

Old
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:

If you check the thread below it is widely agreed that Hamilton is the holier.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1282947&page=7

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote