HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Old
11-16-2012, 01:30 AM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

vCash: 500
not going to lie, i wished for more outta yakupov but i dont think he played awful at all.

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

It was such a pleasure watching these 6 games. The high end skill Russia shows playing "east west" hockey is really something to behold.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:31 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA View Post
Yea, his decision making has been pretty terrible for both games, haven't been very impressed so far. He's going to have to develop quite a lot before he can play in the NHL, those mistakes won't be tolerated.
I wouldnt really count on his decision making to improve all that much. His hockeysense has ALWAYS been a major weakness and mostly the reason I have never really been that high on him. Sure he has some great natural skills and a excellant skillset but he seems to be lacking the toolbox.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Played awful IDK if you were watching the game or your avatar
Haha yea I held back a bit because I'm sure you automatically just think I'm biased. Question for you:

What didn't you like from his game tonight?

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:33 AM
octopi

I liked that little sippy cup trophy they handed out. Without NHL to obsess over, I actually payed more than casual attention to this series, so this was the first time I saw it. Also,chuckled at Yaukov making sure all his hair was in place before he went and got that little trophy.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
Also, I thought Lowry had an awesome series. I really hope he makes team Canada. He's so effective and would fit a 3rd or 4th line role perfectly.
There wasn't much impressive from the forwards over two games for the WHL. Rattie was far and away the best player. Shinkaruk was a stand out too. S. Reinhart was the next most dynamic, but won't likely get a shot as he is too young.

I'm not sure I would want any other guys in a top 3 role. Lowry might be a possible 4th line checker/energy guy, but I think there are guys that impressed me more over the series. Ewanyk was full of energy before getting knocked out. Danault and Hudon have great speed and compete really hard out there. Brett Richie and Tom Wilson were big bodies. Also, Jenner could play on the fourth line again, especially if all the NHL guys are available.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Looked like he just picked up the wrong guy. The two D played it well but McNeill there took the wrong guy on the back check. Instead of picking up the trailing forward he got a guy that was already taken by Wotherspoon.
I was at the game, the bolded is not true. For the loooooooongest of time, it was 1 russian coming in on 2 whl players. Neither tried to make him make a move, both just ended up backing into the goalie. That is not how to play D.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Flameshomer

I mean this in the least offensive way possible, as I've only seen him play twice now, but Dumba just looks awful to me... Slow, poor decision making... I dunno. Anyone else get that feeling?

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
I mean this in the least offensive way possible, as I've only seen him play twice now, but Dumba just looks awful to me... Slow, poor decision making... I dunno. Anyone else get that feeling?
The reports of low hockey IQ look to be true. Then again, it's only two games. I wasn't at all impressed with him. I hope he doesn't become another Shawn Belle.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:10 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
Also, I thought Lowry had an awesome series. I really hope he makes team Canada. He's so effective and would fit a 3rd or 4th line role perfectly.
Was in the building tonight.

He is way too slow for big ice. He labours around the ice.

He scored, but for me he was very disappointing.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:11 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Dumba was one of the better defensman tonight.

Must not have shown on TV.

Keegan Lowe on the other hand - BRUTAL.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:30 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
There wasn't much impressive from the forwards over two games for the WHL. Rattie was far and away the best player. Shinkaruk was a stand out too. S. Reinhart was the next most dynamic, but won't likely get a shot as he is too young.

I'm not sure I would want any other guys in a top 3 role. Lowry might be a possible 4th line checker/energy guy, but I think there are guys that impressed me more over the series. Ewanyk was full of energy before getting knocked out. Danault and Hudon have great speed and compete really hard out there. Brett Richie and Tom Wilson were big bodies. Also, Jenner could play on the fourth line again, especially if all the NHL guys are available.
bang on.
i was very disappointed in the WHL offensive work.
Two forwards should make it and thats it.
The WHL team last night looked very slow with poor gap control.
I am afraid that if this WJC team does not work and practice every second on PP tactics they will not win gold.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:36 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
bang on.
i was very disappointed in the WHL offensive work.
Two forwards should make it and thats it.
The WHL team last night looked very slow with poor gap control.
I am afraid that if this WJC team does not work and practice every second on PP tactics they will not win gold.
Strome-Huberdeau-Ritchie
Murphy-RNH

Drouin-Jenner-Mackinnon
Rielly-Hamilton

Monahan-Schiefele-Rattie
Murray-Oullet

Looks like three very solid units to me. That first one should be good for a goal a shift

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:07 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
And that period is an example of why I think Pouliot was drafted to high for my liking.
You can say the same about Dumba

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I think things look good for Russia overall.

They found their offensive game and their defensive game looks the best that I've seen in a VERY long time.

With an optimal squad and bigger Ice surface for WJC it's a capable team and more balanced the year. Just have to put it together for the key games.
I only watched half the game but Russia's commitment to team defence and relentless puck pursuit was impressive last night and makes me wonder if it signals a change in the way Russian teams will play. They were committed to both ends of the ice and looked scary. Kudos to them.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:17 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I only watched half the game but Russia's commitment to team defence and relentless puck pursuit was impressive last night and makes me wonder if it signals a change in the way Russian teams will play. They were committed to both ends of the ice and looked scary. Kudos to them.
it's Billyaletdinov hockey, I think he wants the whole NT structure to play this way, so when guys come up, they know what they are doing.

this Russian team hasn't really wowed me as Bragin's teams did, but win is a win, last and first game looked were my most favorite in terms of score and game play.

Really don't like Nesterov, don't think he should be paired with Yarulin, both are defensively unreliable.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Well it's nothing new for those who have been following Russian NTs for the last couple of years, maybe even longer. It's great to see now that it trickled down to the juniors.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
it's Billyaletdinov hockey, I think he wants the whole NT structure to play this way, so when guys come up, they know what they are doing.

this Russian team hasn't really wowed me as Bragin's teams did, but win is a win, last and first game looked were my most favorite in terms of score and game play.

Really don't like Nesterov, don't think he should be paired with Yarulin, both are defensively unreliable.
Agreed, Nesterov gets caught flat footed way too often- but not because he's slow, but because he picks a bad position/time to close the gap on the forward and stops skating. Him and Yarullin can get carried away and wreckless, like the crosschecking call early in the game. That was a dumb move. Defensively unreliable indeed.

It's kind of sad, since these guys are supposed to be the leaders.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
JackSlater

Very good performance by Russia, they looked to outclass the WHL. I will be interested to see what Russia shows up at the WJC. For Canada, most of the big players from the three leagues looked good and I look forward to seeing them together, with Nugent-Hopkins possibly included.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:50 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

In summary.

It was a great series for a bunch of guys who have never really played together before. It was also nice to get a little dose of hockey again. (time to slump back into a depression)

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
I was at the game, the bolded is not true. For the loooooooongest of time, it was 1 russian coming in on 2 whl players. Neither tried to make him make a move, both just ended up backing into the goalie. That is not how to play D.
I approve this message.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Who would the Panthers want for Kozov?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Agreed, Nesterov gets caught flat footed way too often- but not because he's slow, but because he picks a bad position/time to close the gap on the forward and stops skating. Him and Yarullin can get carried away and wreckless, like the crosschecking call early in the game. That was a dumb move. Defensively unreliable indeed.

It's kind of sad, since these guys are supposed to be the leaders.
While he is talented offensively, he makes so many bone-headed defensive mistakes that he is more of a liability than an asset.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Weird series. Team Q played great in Game 2, both OHL and WHL failed to impress. Russia looked inconsistent, very good defence and outstanding goaltending with terrible, probably the worst PP I have seen from recent Russian U-20 teams. Yakupov showed zero, I am not so sure if the team may have been better without him.

I agree with your assessment of Yakupov. Its not unprecedented for a lone superstar player to have a negative effect on a team's play (only when the superstar produces nothing, of course). Other players on the team may be intimidated or in awe and just sit back and defer to the star's role of taking the team on his back.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

FYIs, this thread is supposed to be about this year's Subway Super Series... not about the history of WJC or who everybody thinks is going to win the WJC...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote